Table of Contents:
For questions and suggestions, please make use of the KYM Forum Thread: Know Your Meme Rules
- Avoid duplicate contributions. Use the search function to check for preexisting entries or threads on the same topic before creating a new one. If there is a similar entry that covers the subject, please request editorship or make a suggestion for improvement. If there is another thread that pertains to your topic, post your thoughts there instead of starting a new thread. Similarly, please avoid the uploading of duplicate media unless there is a clear improvement in quality.
- Keep it relevant. Make sure that any addition or contribution you make to the site is relevant to the topic at hand. If you have nothing to say on a particular subject, skip the topic and move on. Similarly, please make certain your media contributions are relevant, regardless of the state the entry or thread is in. If you want to address a specific individual about personal matters, contact the user via private message instead of starting a public discussion.
- No porn or gore. Do not upload adult content to the website or post it to any area of the site. External links to sites containing such content, or advertisements for such, will be censored at the discretion of moderators, unless it is absolutely vital to meme research discussions and accompanied by a clear [NSFW] warning label. For more information on what content is allowed and disallowed, please check out the NSFW Guidelines.
- No flooding or spamming. Flooding, defined as repeated posting of redundant material, and spamming, defined as posting of any advertisement or promotional materials, are strictly prohibited.
- No auto-play or coding edits outside of your own profile page. Posting autoplaying video, audio, or flash files outside of your own profile page is prohibited, likewise to any edits to changing specific areas such as the font or the background outside through coding. This pertains to all comments, forum posts, and other user pages. Violation of this rule may result in an extended suspension period.
- Do not attempt to evade a suspension or ban. Using an alternate account, proxy IP address, or other means of evading a ban are strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule may result in an extended suspension period, or in a permanent ban.
- Behave. We want our site to be welcoming place for both old and new users. Please keep your comments and posts constructive and considerate in tone. If you observe a user breaking a rule, try advising the user in the right direction, rather than posting insults or harsh criticisms. If the user’s behavior persists, contact a moderator.
Content Submission Guidelines
For questions and suggestions, please make use of the KYM Forum Thread: NSFW Guidelines
NC (Not Cool)
Images, videos, forum posts and comments that fall within this category are strictly prohibited and will be removed from the site:
- Pornography, photographed or illustrated
- Violent, gore and shock images, censored or uncensored
- Unwarranted obscenity in racist, sexist and homophobic context
When in doubt, inquire an administrator or moderator about the image or video in question for determination of its status. Please do not upload an NC image without consultation with an administrator.
NSFW (Not Safe For Work)
Images, videos, forum posts and comments that fall within this category must be properly labeled as not safe for work (NSFW). Please be advised that entries cited as examples in this section contain NSFW language or content.
- Partial, sufficiently obscured or censored nudity (example / example #2).
- Sexually explicit language, gestures and expressions (example / example #2)
- Racist, sexist or homophobic content that is absolutely essential to the documentation
- Fetish, gross or shock media that is not pornographic, violent and gory (example)
- Personally identifiable information or defamation of minor subjects (example #1 / example #2)
- Other miscellaneous content deemed inappropriate or offensive by the editor or staff administrator
NSFW images and videos containing partial nudity are permissible on the site as long as they adhere to the common sense of what may be seen in public on a summer’s day, including photographs of people in bathing suits, bulges, side boob and/or cleavage.
SFW (Safe For Work)
Images and videos that fall within this category are exempt from NSFW labeling.
- Nude art, such as figure paintings
- Obscene language that is essential to the documentation
- Sexually evocative images that do not contain nudity or depiction of sexual activity
Entry Submission Guidelines
In order to ensure that your entry gets researched and eventually confirmed, the article must be written in a factual, informative and verifiable language. For a brief summary of our recommended research process, watch our Introduction to KYMdb and read the following guidelines before starting your research.
DOs & DON’Ts
- For more suggestions on formatting, heading and styling, read the KYMdb Style Guide and the KYM Guide to HTML & Textile.
- For more suggestions on entry categorization, refer to the KYMdb Categories.
Media Submission Guidelines
For additional information, questions, and suggestions, please make use of the KYM Forum Thread: Image Gallery Guidelines
- No porn or gore. The posting of pornographic and gore content to image and video galleries follows the rules described in the Content Submission Guidelines.
- No Spam. Spam content is forbidden within galleries, such as advertising and trollbait.
- Meta Content. Any Meta Content directly relating to the site (such as NSFW Thumbnail Parodies) should be uploaded to our KnowYourMeme entry gallery. Content containing popular in-jokes (example) or user parodies (example) should not be uploaded to any gallery, and should be tagged with Kymtheon and other relevant tags. Site screenshots (example / example #2) must not be uploaded under any condition, and will be deleted. Likewise, images related to the content or state of the entry (such as Marvel’s Deadpool) are unrelated to the content of the entry and therefore will be removed.
- Stay Relevant. If an image can go into a more relevant gallery, do not upload it into one of the umbrella galleries (such as Reaction Faces, Anime, GIF, Childhood Ruined, Childhood Enhanced, Alternate Universe and Crossover). It is okay to upload a single image or video to multiple galleries as long as the two are equally relevant. Subjective images which can be categorized differently for each viewer (example / example #2) should not be uploaded to galleries such as Childhood Ruined/Enhanced, and will be deleted on sight.
- Add Relevant Information. When uploading your images, we ask that you please add any relevant tags that might apply to the image; a source or origin, if applicable, so to give original creators credit for their work; and an appropriate NSFW and/or Spoiler tag.
- Be Friendly. We ask that you please maintain a friendly atmosphere within the media galleries. Content posted with the aim to slander other posters or the entry poster (such as OP is a Faggot) is disallowed. Content posted with ulterior motives or for public shaming will be dealt with severely, and will lead to suspensions and eventually bans.
Should any disagreements come up over how and image should be categorized and tagged, please contact a moderator or administrator so that we can determine the best course of action. Likewise, Image Editors who come across incorrect tagged images are requested to tag these images accordingly.
- Advertising Accounts: report spambots and other advertising accounts
- Duplicate Entry Hiding: report entries that are redundant or overlapping in content with a pre-existing article
- Image Cleaning: report images that are duplicate, misplaced or in violation of the rules and guidelines
- Video Cleaning: report videos that are duplicate, misplaced, expired or in violation of the rules and guidelines
- Any user-submitted image, video and comment may be labeled as not safe for work (NSFW) by a moderator or administrator. In cases where a majority of images or videos in a gallery falls within the NSFW category, the entire gallery may be labeled as NSFW by an administrator. Upon being labeled NSFW, the thumbnail of the image or video will be replaced with an illustration of KYM-tan. In extreme circumstances, a gallery may be locked by a moderator or administrator to prevent further submissions. Image Editors who come across unmarked NSFW content are requested to mark the images accordingly.
- Should a user violate one or multiple rules listed on this page, a moderator or administrator will issue a warning with a reminder to adhere to the database guidelines. If the rule breaking persists, an account suspension or a permanent ban may follow. In cases of noncompliance and other extreme circumstances, the user may be banned without warning or notice.
Should a disagreement arise over any specific submission present in the rules and/or guidelines presented on the page, it will be settled by the Know Your Meme Staff and Cheezburger’s Community Manager.
|For more information on the Meme Database, read the Frequently Asked Questions.||For additional questions regarding the website, make use of the Contact Form.|
Additional comments have been disabled.