Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Comment Replies

Last posted Jun 24, 2013 at 03:30AM EDT. Added Jun 13, 2013 at 09:34AM EDT
18 posts from 14 users

You can see an example here: https://knowyourmeme.com/users/james--11

You can reply to any comment but they will only be indented one level below the root comment because we don't really have enough space to keep indenting each level.

You can hover over or click the in reply to name to see which comment was replied to. For example the test3 comment was a reply to test2 and not test.

Comments are ordered newest first but replies are ordered oldest first so you can read them in the order of the conversation by going from top to bottom.

The display of comment threads is limited to 5 replies before showing a view more link. Once you go to the comment's page then you can view the entire thread: https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/870286#comment_870286

You can click the timestamp of a comment to go to that comment's page.

Top comments don't show replies to save space but you can view their replies by clicking through to the comment page. Clicking reply on a top comment will also take you to that comment's page (you can reply from there) instead of having an inline reply box.

Replying to a comment will send an email similar to the wall post email and you can disable receiving those in your profile email settings.

Let me know if anything's broken.

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 09:43AM EDT

Does that really make sense to use that on users' walls, though?
I think people will still prefer just to directly respond on others' walls.

Especially, that walls use now the same codin' as photos' comment sections use, with that short loadin' thing. That causes my phone and, from what I know, other mobile devices too not to load the wall post section at all, which makes me unable to do pretty much anythin' on KYM via my phone now ;/

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 10:06AM EDT

Krupam the Oldfag wrote:

Does that really make sense to use that on users' walls, though?
I think people will still prefer just to directly respond on others' walls.

Especially, that walls use now the same codin' as photos' comment sections use, with that short loadin' thing. That causes my phone and, from what I know, other mobile devices too not to load the wall post section at all, which makes me unable to do pretty much anythin' on KYM via my phone now ;/

You're not forced to use comment replies, the option is just there. It can be useful for when a third person wants to jump in on a wall conversation between two persons. And even so, now that we have comment replies, also adding the feature to walls is more a case of "Why not?".

You can still browse entries, check out the forums, and view the images, so I don't especially see how visiting the site from your phone can be considered troublesome so suddenly. I'm fairly certain comment sections are not the prime feature of the site for which the majority of visitors come here.

Outside of that, glad to have the feature, looks awesome.

I'm a bit confused though why both the voting buttons (alongside the score) and the reply button are now placed below a comment. Seems a bit out of place, especially when you consider that the delete and NSFW (mod only) buttons are still on the old place. I don't directly see the use in seperating them. It would've made more sense in that way to just place the reply button next to those.

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 10:38AM EDT

I think this is a good addition. Flicking between walls and following discussions between walls is confusing. It also improves KYM's practicality for social networking. And you want that. Better social networking = stronger community

But can I request that the "post comment" button be placed at the top of the wall comment section instead of the very bottom? The comments are ordered newest first so having that button on the bottom just means scrolling through tons of old messages every time you want to talk to someone

With the website's reverse chronological order for comments, having the "Add a Comment" button on the bottom is kind of bothersome. Having it on articles and images makes it kind of annoying too, as there is no division between the "Top Comments" and "Comments" sections, making them just sort-of blend together.

I preferred seeing the thumbs up/thumbs down portion in the top right area of comments. It made them look a little more clean, and balanced it out by filling in white space. With them below comments now, it looks a bit cluttered.

I think it looks good overall, but there are just some little aesthetic things that I preferred with the old setup.

You know, while I like the comment button at the top as well, it may be good as an incentive to get people to read through previous comments as they scroll down to the bottom (yeah, right). Just a thought anyway.

Good feature, James!

I'm commenting here, because I suspect it may be related to the update, but I don't see an "Add a comment" button on the walls of people who don't already have comments. In fact, there's a message saying: This tab content does not exist.

Brucker wrote:

I'm commenting here, because I suspect it may be related to the update, but I don't see an "Add a comment" button on the walls of people who don't already have comments. In fact, there's a message saying: This tab content does not exist.

it should be fixed now

Bumpity bump.

I noticed that if someone writes a reply to one of my wall posts; I get sent two notification emails for it.

One notifying me that someone replied to my wall post and second notification that someone posted on my wall

Obviously the latter is redundant. Would it be necessary to add an extra IF function here?

if($wallpost=>ID != $reply=>ID){$email.send();}

Last edited Jun 24, 2013 at 03:36AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!