Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Stupid Shit in Comics/Manga/Whatever

Last posted Nov 22, 2014 at 12:45AM EST. Added Nov 19, 2014 at 12:36AM EST
18 posts from 11 users

Alrighty then, the point of this thread is to post stupid and/or ridiculous situations that have occurred in comics, mangas and the sort. I'll kick us off:

Remember that time Spiderman gave Marry Jane cancer from his radioactive spider semen and it fucking killed her?
- Source: "Spiderman: Reign"

OR

Remember that time Superman had dehydrated Jimmy Olsen and Aquaman fight to the death over a pitcher of water?
- Source: "Jimmy Olsen: Survival of the Fittest"

Last edited Nov 19, 2014 at 12:58AM EST

Joseph Zenizhiv Green wrote:

Any moment when a character was brought back to life with a shitty plot

Any particularly glaring examples?

Aunt May who revived after Spiderman made a deal with fucking Satan- err Mefisto.
Anyone remembers that time Hulk had sex with Umar, some Dark dimension sorceress, and he only lasted six minutes? Heh, good times..

Last edited Nov 19, 2014 at 10:35AM EST

Loquacious Leviathan wrote:

Rember that time the Punisher got one-hit-KO'd by a 12 year old?

Just in case nobody ever saw this GLORIOUS moment where Marvel took a shit on every Punisher fan at the same time.

Speaking of villians becoming heroes, Doctor Octopus last arc where he and Spidey switched bodies..just…what…

Last edited Nov 19, 2014 at 06:03PM EST

Everything on Attack on Titan was just stupid IMO. Mostly on Eren being a titan Jesus that can't do shit.

The Fourth Ninja War and it's outcome in Naruto was just lame. (especially with Sasuke getting away scott free from his war crimes.)

One of my biggest pet peeves is stupidly overpowered villains. I'm thinking Darksied from DC Comics (and his counterpart Thanos from Marvel), the Colossal Titan from AoT, or the Condesce from Homestuck (not counting Lord English from the same comic since he rarely appears). More often than not, they have an absurd array of abilities, are capable of killing major characters en masse, can brainwash characters with absurd ease, or even all three of these at once. When these guys come in, you can guarantee that if the heroes ever defeat them at all, they'll get fucked up by the villain over and over again until the last five minutes of the plot. They're like Mary Sues gone bad.

People who write these types of villains seem to have realized that it's bad to have invincible heroes, but they go overboard in "correcting" the problem by introducing a villain who spends all his screen time shredding the heroes, resulting in an equally unsatisfying battle (since, after all, a guaranteed villain victory is just as predictable as a guaranteed hero victory). They don't necessarily ruin a work completely with their presence, but they're still incredibly irritating to see.

Here's some more antics from the wacky adventures of everyone's favorite rascal: The Punisher!
<//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////>

Remember that time he lured the x-men and brotherhood of mutants to the moon and nuked them from orbit?

Ooooor remember that time he crashed Archie's prom, killed a guy with a giant air ballon and the rivendale shitlords were all like "K thanks Punisher, here's a pie!"?

Last edited Nov 21, 2014 at 01:04AM EST

In many Harem animes, the heroines are so obsessed with the MC, I swear they will end up murdering him when he eventually gets with one. It's fine to have multiple girls with crushes, but some take it too far. School Days isn't a perfect VN by any means, but they at least got the whole murderous yandere thing right.

Too many Cliffhangers. The Attack on Titan anime had way too many cliff hangers in each episode. Its ok when binge watching, but was infuriating when I was watching it as it was airing.
Akame is also very guilty of this in the manga right now. Its been 4 months already and its still going on with the same thing. Finish the fucking fight already.

In one of the Infinity Gauntlet comics, the Hulk defeats Thanos because of his ability to indefinitely convert rage into muscle power. Seriously, if I were a near onmipotent being with the goal of ruling the universe, I don't think any amount of physical strength would have the ability to stop me.

Myconix wrote:

In one of the Infinity Gauntlet comics, the Hulk defeats Thanos because of his ability to indefinitely convert rage into muscle power. Seriously, if I were a near onmipotent being with the goal of ruling the universe, I don't think any amount of physical strength would have the ability to stop me.

Yeah, physical strength should be irrelevant to near omnipotents. Thats pretty fucking dumb.

How to take down the Hulk by Dormammu

Hulk itself had plenty of stupid moments where the authors just went "fuck it, if he gets mad enough, he can chop a planet in half and break through dimensions"

What doc was talking about w/ harem animes is why I actively try and avoid them when I watch anime nowadays. The harem characters can be varied and fleshed out characters, but their collective obsession over "BEING DA WUN AND ONLY FER SEMPAI" that is quintessential factor in the harem genre bogs down whatever interesting elements the shows and their characters may have.

Stereotypical shounen animus aren't much better with all the "BISHI FRIENDSHIP NINJA MAGIC, BELIEVE IT" and the oodles upon oodles of filler (here's looking at you Narootoh)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!