Forums / Fun! / Creative

5,834 total conversations in 67 threads

+ New Thread

KnowYourMeme-themed Pokémon hack

Last posted Nov 07, 2014 at 02:01PM EST. Added Apr 22, 2014 at 08:44AM EDT
967 posts from 123 users

So I’m reading the googledoc that ThatsWhyNot made and it says my name needs to be shortened. You can just shortened it to Thygen.

May 03, 2014 at 12:42PM EDT

So,it’s ok if our avatars are just characters from other things non-pokemon? Like,not even recolored or anything?

Also, how much detail do we have to give? I don’t know much about the stats and stuff in Pokemon, but I still kind of want to be a part of this (also ya said you need as many people as possible). Is it alright to just give type(s) and the misc. stuff(Height,pointless description that doesn’t affect gameplay,ect.) and leave the rest to you?

May 03, 2014 at 11:45PM EDT

Dead Booty wrote:

So,it’s ok if our avatars are just characters from other things non-pokemon? Like,not even recolored or anything?

Also, how much detail do we have to give? I don’t know much about the stats and stuff in Pokemon, but I still kind of want to be a part of this (also ya said you need as many people as possible). Is it alright to just give type(s) and the misc. stuff(Height,pointless description that doesn’t affect gameplay,ect.) and leave the rest to you?

He’s said he actually slightly prefers if you leave the stats and such to him. All you really need is a reference image. I don’t think he minds if you make up a pokedex description, so if you’ve got one, go for it. I do not speak for Shad, so take none of this as official. As to what your sprite can be, if there were any money involved in this there would be severe limitations about copyrighted stuff, but as this is a fan-based game made for fun, whatever you want is fine

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 12:01AM EDT
May 03, 2014 at 11:59PM EDT

HornyChump
The Tooting UserMon

Dex Entry: This UserMon has a strange obsession with blood color and quadrupeds. It can be heard tooting and honking its horns at all hours.

Reference:

(Tell me if you need a still image.)

A couple of questions, if you don’t mind me asking:

1. Will there be shiny Pokemon/UserMon in this? I remember somebody mentioning it earlier and never heard otherwise.
2. Are all of the Pokemon/UserMon going to be catchable, seeing as how some in the source material won’t evolve unless traded.
3. This isn’t a question, I just wanted to put this here:

May 04, 2014 at 09:49AM EDT

Okay, so I’m late for this party AND I fucked up my first post. Man, I’m just great at this. Anyway, so far from what I’ve seen, great job Shadowman. May your endeavors bear great fruit.

May 04, 2014 at 10:12AM EDT

Ray, Seer of Heart and Alicorn of Butts wrote:

HornyChump
The Tooting UserMon

Dex Entry: This UserMon has a strange obsession with blood color and quadrupeds. It can be heard tooting and honking its horns at all hours.

Reference:

(Tell me if you need a still image.)

A couple of questions, if you don’t mind me asking:

1. Will there be shiny Pokemon/UserMon in this? I remember somebody mentioning it earlier and never heard otherwise.
2. Are all of the Pokemon/UserMon going to be catchable, seeing as how some in the source material won’t evolve unless traded.
3. This isn’t a question, I just wanted to put this here:

1. Well, I kind of have to give shiny colorations to each Usermon, or else the game will crash when the usermon appears. (I’m going to get a little technical now) See, whenever you run into a wild Pokémon, an internal random number generator generates a binary number, and if that number is 7-something, (I forget) then it will be a shiny. If there is no shiny, you see, then that little region where the number stops on is non-existant, and even if the usermon you encounter isn’t shiny, the numbers will still pass over that empty region, which will result in the game crashing. So, yeah, I’m giving them a shiny palette. However, that will mostly be up to me, but don’t worry, I’m going to make you epic, I promise.

2. Oh, well of course. How else would you get your usermon? I can’t just have 386 events where people give you a usermon… And also, you mentioned traded evolutions? Don’t worry about that… I am able to change the way each usermon evolves, whether it’s by friendship, level, maximizing beauty, creating an extra space in the party, you name it. Since trading is not an option, it’s only natural I’d get rid of that mechanic. But to answer your overall question, yes, all usermon are obtainable in some way shape or form.

Marx the Jester wrote:

Okay, so I’m late for this party AND I fucked up my first post. Man, I’m just great at this. Anyway, so far from what I’ve seen, great job Shadowman. May your endeavors bear great fruit.

Hey, just because you’re late doesn’t mean you still can’t apply! Submissions are always open to all users, and as I stated before, I’m going to need a ton of them. By the looks of it, your avatar is highly doable, and really now, all I need is your permission. And thanks for the good luck, I’m going to need it if I want to get this thing done. (Because, you know… lately the programs I use to edit the script and trainer sprites aren’t wanting to cooperate…)

May 04, 2014 at 10:57AM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

1. Well, I kind of have to give shiny colorations to each Usermon, or else the game will crash when the usermon appears. (I’m going to get a little technical now) See, whenever you run into a wild Pokémon, an internal random number generator generates a binary number, and if that number is 7-something, (I forget) then it will be a shiny. If there is no shiny, you see, then that little region where the number stops on is non-existant, and even if the usermon you encounter isn’t shiny, the numbers will still pass over that empty region, which will result in the game crashing. So, yeah, I’m giving them a shiny palette. However, that will mostly be up to me, but don’t worry, I’m going to make you epic, I promise.

2. Oh, well of course. How else would you get your usermon? I can’t just have 386 events where people give you a usermon… And also, you mentioned traded evolutions? Don’t worry about that… I am able to change the way each usermon evolves, whether it’s by friendship, level, maximizing beauty, creating an extra space in the party, you name it. Since trading is not an option, it’s only natural I’d get rid of that mechanic. But to answer your overall question, yes, all usermon are obtainable in some way shape or form.

Marx the Jester wrote:

Hey, just because you’re late doesn’t mean you still can’t apply! Submissions are always open to all users, and as I stated before, I’m going to need a ton of them. By the looks of it, your avatar is highly doable, and really now, all I need is your permission. And thanks for the good luck, I’m going to need it if I want to get this thing done. (Because, you know… lately the programs I use to edit the script and trainer sprites aren’t wanting to cooperate…)

Yeah, bro, go ahead. I’d love to help fill out your roster.
If I could make some suggestions as to how my guy would be like.

Marx
The Jester Pokemon
Ability: Own Tempo/Trace
Moveset: Special attack oriented, moves like Ice Beam and Hyper Beam, the latter of which would be questionable if there is a special/physical split

Here’s a better picture if you need it:

Also, will there be a PokeDex in the game? A MayMayDex, if you will?

May 04, 2014 at 12:35PM EDT

How many Usermon do you plan on making? Cuz right now it seems you have a lot of work ahead of you…

May 04, 2014 at 01:05PM EDT

It’s cool to see a community project that actually has a chance of being completed cough cough. And Mods/Admins are going to be legendaries, eh? Well you can take this as a friendly reminder that I in fact do exist. If you’ll let me be in, that’s cool, I’ll leave everything else up to your professional opinion

May 04, 2014 at 01:08PM EDT

Beatie wrote:

How many Usermon do you plan on making? Cuz right now it seems you have a lot of work ahead of you…

About 400 I believe, and I think he can handle it.

May 04, 2014 at 01:10PM EDT

I kind of don’t have a constant avatar, but when I need a profile pic or something I usually use Dark Chibi from Okamiden:

(er, that is, the villainous looking wolf, not the kid. Ignore Evil Kuni, nothing to see here, move along)

So, if you want to put me in, use him as my sprite. And if you end up putting abilities in, you and I both know mine must be Truant. Also, if you need to shorten my name, just use Snicker.

So, uh thanks! I like what you’ve done so far and this seems a lot more doable than the fighting game.

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 01:34PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 01:33PM EDT

Well, if we’re getting shinies, then I’d like my shiny palette to be what I’ve decided the colouring would be like in Trickster Mode

That’s the only alternate colour I even HAVE in mind.

May 04, 2014 at 01:43PM EDT

Alright, I’ll bite.

Slapprfish
Fish Pokemon
One swing of its tail can send opponents flying. Its warbling call can travel for miles.

References:

Speaking of which, are we allowed to submit our own custom sound effects as Pokemon calls? If so, I’ll give you permission to use this.

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 02:04PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 02:03PM EDT

Well! I’m sure late to this! Or maybe everyone else is too early…. Ah well; Great work Shadowman. If I could get in on this, It’d simply be some sprite of Sly Cooper. Also, I’d recommend you to add MidnaIsMyWaifu and Jesus of New York. They’re good. REAL good.

May 04, 2014 at 02:09PM EDT

Do you think you could put in Tzeni Mpotsi somehow?
Please don’t hurt me.

May 04, 2014 at 02:12PM EDT

SirSomeguy wrote:

Well! I’m sure late to this! Or maybe everyone else is too early…. Ah well; Great work Shadowman. If I could get in on this, It’d simply be some sprite of Sly Cooper. Also, I’d recommend you to add MidnaIsMyWaifu and Jesus of New York. They’re good. REAL good.

Hell, that was a woefully under-filled description. Let me expand (Dong) it:

SirSomeguy
The Lurker Pokemon
Type: Dark
Ability: Sticky Hold
Height: 5’11
Weight: 156 lbs
“While staying in the shadows and trying to silently observe the world, this Pokemon only appears when something greatly rustles its Jimmies”
Here’s some picture reference:

May 04, 2014 at 02:37PM EDT

Since my profile pic isn’t exactly Kymon material, can you change the trees you can cut down into patches of mint? Perhaps have a chance of dropping herbal medicine?

May 04, 2014 at 02:58PM EDT

alrite,here we go

Dead Booty
Type:Ghost/Fire
Ref:
Thanks, Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis (das a long name)

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 03:27PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 02:58PM EDT

Just do what many of us do, Dead Booty, and upload the images to KYM and not put them into any gallery. Unless removed by the staff, uploaded images are there forever.

EDIT: OH. Something else has come to mind.

How about you keep Omanyte and Omastar mostly untouched, but rename them both to Lord Helix (and give them a fitting dex entry)? (as a nod to TPP, which was a pretty major thing on here when it started. At one point racking up TRIPLE the gallery views of even MLP.)

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 03:31PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 03:05PM EDT

SilentMassacre64
The Digital Pokemon
Type: Normal
Ability: Download
Height: 6’2
Weight: 160 lbs

Picture references:

Head:

Body (ignore the head on this one):

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 04:05PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 04:02PM EDT

Slapperfish wrote:

Alright, I’ll bite.

Slapprfish
Fish Pokemon
One swing of its tail can send opponents flying. Its warbling call can travel for miles.

References:

Speaking of which, are we allowed to submit our own custom sound effects as Pokemon calls? If so, I’ll give you permission to use this.

I got your sprite right here.

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 04:25PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 04:14PM EDT

Tahrdan Ismeh Wu-Temporis wrote:

Just do what many of us do, Dead Booty, and upload the images to KYM and not put them into any gallery. Unless removed by the staff, uploaded images are there forever.

EDIT: OH. Something else has come to mind.

How about you keep Omanyte and Omastar mostly untouched, but rename them both to Lord Helix (and give them a fitting dex entry)? (as a nod to TPP, which was a pretty major thing on here when it started. At one point racking up TRIPLE the gallery views of even MLP.)

that would be pretty dang awesome

May 04, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT

Lil B wrote:

About 400 I believe, and I think he can handle it.

400 huh… Looks like there’s plenty of room for self insertion. lel.

May 04, 2014 at 08:06PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Shadow Man wrote:

Alright, now I’m feeling impulsive, but I’m not going to do anything big at the moment, first I just want to ask people’s opinion. I have the technology to make custom Pokémon, as well as occasionally being able to change their cry. Basically, I can completely make an entirely new Pokémon as long as I have a place to put it. There are 411 available spaces for Pokémon in the generation III games, 25 of them being Missingno, and despite them being Missingno Pokémon, they are still fully functional. The only downside is that they are incapable of having a pokédex entry, and all missingno must share the same cry.

Now, all that being said. I feel like I want to make a Pokémon game like this, where all Pokémon are users. We have the option of evolution, making it so either one user evolves into another user, or one user becomes more improved. This will all come down to whether we have enough users for all the Pokémon or not. As for the trainers, gym leaders, and champion, these will all mostly go unchanged, regarding dialogue, name, and type of Pokémon used. I’ll make it so all Pokémon are available to be caught, including legendaries, which in this case will be the Mods.

Now!
If I’m going to do this, I can’t do it alone. I’m going to need a lot of volunteers, since the amount of Pokémon that are able to be put in the game is so high, and I want to have as many users as possible.
To qualify for the hack, the requirements are:
- You must have been on KYM for at least 2 months.
- You must have an avi that is unique, we can’t have copies.
- You must provide a detailed description on how your persona will be used, and look, and a reference is needed.

The stats, type, and dex entry will mostly be up to me, but if you have any suggestions about any of those, or which gen III game I should use, feel free to say anything. Also, keep in mind that the character limit for names is 10, and I think around 90 for the dex entries. I’ve put Fairy type in the other hack I’m making, so that’s up for grabs.

Finally… As for the overall characters, they will mostly not be changed, but if any artists have a suggestion on to what the boy or girl player character would be, that would greatly be appreciated.

If you want some samples of my work, here you are:

If you don’t remember these…

… There’s also these

I’m going to need a lot of volunteers if I’m going to do this, if at all.
Thank you, and everyone’s input is always appreciated!

(P.S.- If I do in fact use Emerald… It’s going to take a whole lot longer, and I’d have to match up each user with a fitting cry, and animation, since I can’t change the animation, which is already programmed into the Pokémon’s index number. I’m just saying it would be a whole lot easier to do Ruby or FireRed, but I’m just throwing it out there.)

Can I be the Magikarp?

May 04, 2014 at 09:14PM EDT

Simpsonsfan1011
The Cringe Pokemon
Type:Dark
Ability:Contrary
Height:5’9
Weight:180 lbs
Pokedex entry:“When there is a lack of Cringe in a cringe distribution area Simpsonsfan1011 makes sure that those distribution areas are still relevant by posting cringeworthy images and videos”
Sprite Reference:

BTW you should add Lezhuarez, Iamslow, and Da dancing Spike

Last edited May 04, 2014 at 10:21PM EDT
May 04, 2014 at 10:19PM EDT

Seeing as this is the only good picture of the Border Inspector (my previous avatar) there is, I have taken the liberty of changing my avi to the one I had before, the GENTLE MANNE of LEISURE and His COMPANIONE. Which was cropped from this image:

I guess my sprite would be the two gentlemen on the left, since they’re the ones appearing in the avatar.

As for any other details (dex entry, etc), I don’t have any ideas right now, so I’ll come back later with some suggestions (if I have any).

May 05, 2014 at 05:53AM EDT

This definitely sounds like something I’d like to be a part of.

Darknevoir
The Explosives Pokemon

Type: I think having Dark as one of the types seems appropriate. My thought was Dark/Normal.
Moves: Sp Atk moves. I’ll leave it up to you.

As for a reference:

You’d probably benefit from looking at the model more so than just the image alone.

BTW, you’re doing an excellent job with all the work done so far. Rock on!

May 05, 2014 at 07:11AM EDT

Turbo Penguin wrote:

Are we updating the google doc as the requests are coming in?

Sure am

May 05, 2014 at 01:22PM EDT

Okay, I’d like to be part of this project. You can shorten my name to Geepao

Here’s the best reference image (both in appearance and personality) I could get. He’s the dude ripping the face off;

The dialogue’s in Filipino.

May 05, 2014 at 01:28PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Not so fast

Looks good! :D My only complaint at the moment is that the bottom fins are uneven.

Also, I’m going to assume my type will be Water/Fighting or Water/Normal?

Last edited May 05, 2014 at 02:04PM EDT
May 05, 2014 at 02:02PM EDT

I made a rough draft of the cover for the game.

I didn’t add the title since that hasn’t really been decided, and the font I chose looked too fanmade.

And SRJ is going to be the Groudon, so that’s why he’s on the cover.

May 05, 2014 at 10:45PM EDT

Lil B wrote:

I made a rough draft of the cover for the game.

I didn’t add the title since that hasn’t really been decided, and the font I chose looked too fanmade.

And SRJ is going to be the Groudon, so that’s why he’s on the cover.

It’s glorious

May 05, 2014 at 10:50PM EDT

Fishstick wrote:

Do you think you could put in Tzeni Mpotsi somehow?
Please don’t hurt me.

Well LezHuarez would obviously be going in (Who doesn’t know Lez?)

So I’d think some “troll users” would be in there.

EDIT: Also, I know I changed name from Rukario McFly to Marty McFly, but if OP wants to keep or change it I’m cool with that

Last edited May 06, 2014 at 02:54AM EDT
May 06, 2014 at 02:48AM EDT

LEZHUAREZ. YES.

May 06, 2014 at 07:03PM EDT

Alright, guys, I have an important announcement.

So, I’m just going to put it shortly. Something big and personal has come up on my end, and I’m not going to be able to work on the game for a little bit…
Not only that, but odds are that I won’t even be able to be online for large periods of time… possibly months apart. This is going to last at the very least until Christmas, if not an entire year.

I’m going to see what I can do to stay in touch, or at least still work on bits and pieces of the game, since I don’t need internet, and only a working PC with MS Paint, but I can only get done what I already have saved on my list. I should be able to hold out without internet for a while, since I only have about 20/80 of the usermon’s sprites done, not to mention I still have the whole game to program.
But… Still… There’s still the possibility of there being no contact from me for months at a time, but also the possibility of my checking in every week or so.

I swear… Every KYM-game or project that ever starts to get made, starting with the original KYM RPG, is somehow cursed. It starts off looking great, looking like it’s going to be completed, then something comes up, and then the process is halted/discontinued. It’s happened to me before, even, for those of you who knew me in my earlier KYM times, I was making a comic with a bunch of my user friends in it, and then, when I went away for a different personal thing, I was at a hotel, and an accident happened to where juice was spilled all over the pages I had for it, making it nearly illegible. The only pages I had saved were older ones that I had scanned beforehand, and had them on my flash drive.
… If history really does have a way of repeating itself, then I pray something like that doesn’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong, I really want to do this, since ROM hacking is among my top 7 favorite things to do. I’m backing everything I have so far onto my desktop, and the other files I have on the google doc.
Speaking of, just because I’m going to be away for a while doesn’t mean that you guys still can’t submit requests. I just won’t be able to see them right away, is all. Also, That’sWhyNot, don’t stop updating the request doc, as it’s much easier to access than going into KYM, searching for the thread and finding the right one, then going to the last page I left off, versus just going onto Google docs, clicking Starred, then having it up there in front of me.

Now, this isn’t going to happen until around the rest of this week or 2 weeks from now, so you’ll still see me around then, but once it happens, I’ll let you know, and that’ll be it for a while.

Until then.

May 06, 2014 at 08:30PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

So, I’m just going to put it shortly. Something big and personal has come up on my end, and I’m not going to be able to work on the game for a little bit…
Not only that, but odds are that I won’t even be able to be online for large periods of time… possibly months apart. This is going to last at the very least until Christmas, if not an entire year.

I’m going to see what I can do to stay in touch, or at least still work on bits and pieces of the game, since I don’t need internet, and only a working PC with MS Paint, but I can only get done what I already have saved on my list. I should be able to hold out without internet for a while, since I only have about 20/80 of the usermon’s sprites done, not to mention I still have the whole game to program.
But… Still… There’s still the possibility of there being no contact from me for months at a time, but also the possibility of my checking in every week or so.

I swear… Every KYM-game or project that ever starts to get made, starting with the original KYM RPG, is somehow cursed. It starts off looking great, looking like it’s going to be completed, then something comes up, and then the process is halted/discontinued. It’s happened to me before, even, for those of you who knew me in my earlier KYM times, I was making a comic with a bunch of my user friends in it, and then, when I went away for a different personal thing, I was at a hotel, and an accident happened to where juice was spilled all over the pages I had for it, making it nearly illegible. The only pages I had saved were older ones that I had scanned beforehand, and had them on my flash drive.
… If history really does have a way of repeating itself, then I pray something like that doesn’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong, I really want to do this, since ROM hacking is among my top 7 favorite things to do. I’m backing everything I have so far onto my desktop, and the other files I have on the google doc.
Speaking of, just because I’m going to be away for a while doesn’t mean that you guys still can’t submit requests. I just won’t be able to see them right away, is all. Also, That’sWhyNot, don’t stop updating the request doc, as it’s much easier to access than going into KYM, searching for the thread and finding the right one, then going to the last page I left off, versus just going onto Google docs, clicking Starred, then having it up there in front of me.

Now, this isn’t going to happen until around the rest of this week or 2 weeks from now, so you’ll still see me around then, but once it happens, I’ll let you know, and that’ll be it for a while.

Until then.

Until then.

May 06, 2014 at 08:39PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Until then.

Till then….till then.

May 06, 2014 at 09:14PM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Until then.

Lurker here, just got up the courage to officially jump on board the hype train. Looks like I was just an hour too late.

Good luck and Godspeed, Shadowman. Sorry to hear that some stuff has come up in your life. Hope it all works out in the end.

Till then… we’ll meet again one day.

Last edited May 06, 2014 at 09:22PM EDT
May 06, 2014 at 09:20PM EDT

Well, I guess this is the sad end to another KYM game.

See you soon Shad, hope you are going to be ok, and hopefully this can be revived.

Last edited May 06, 2014 at 09:36PM EDT
May 06, 2014 at 09:35PM EDT

I used to do a bit of RSE ROM hacking myself, although I never did much. If it’s allowed, I could probably do some spriting and maybe some actually Pokemon editing (Names, sprites, stats, moveset, type, etc.) while Shadowmancreator is away.

May 06, 2014 at 10:14PM EDT

Later, duder. Don’t worry about anything, we’ll wait. Good luck with your stuff

May 06, 2014 at 11:56PM EDT

Peacock Roy wrote:

I used to do a bit of RSE ROM hacking myself, although I never did much. If it’s allowed, I could probably do some spriting and maybe some actually Pokemon editing (Names, sprites, stats, moveset, type, etc.) while Shadowmancreator is away.

Well, really all that’s needed at the moment are sprites. Once I’m away, you have my permission to do so, but on the condition that you post them here or PM them to me, just so I can tweak them if at all then put them into the game. Other than that, the names, stats, and movesets will be up to me for the most part. The type, on the other hand, can be decided by the person that applies, but it’s not required.

May 07, 2014 at 12:31AM EDT

Shadow Man wrote:

Well, really all that’s needed at the moment are sprites. Once I’m away, you have my permission to do so, but on the condition that you post them here or PM them to me, just so I can tweak them if at all then put them into the game. Other than that, the names, stats, and movesets will be up to me for the most part. The type, on the other hand, can be decided by the person that applies, but it’s not required.

Well if you have anything figured out already but don’t have the time just shoot me a PM and I’ll eventually get on it.

May 07, 2014 at 06:57AM EDT

I am just going to pretend it isn’t too late to apply to this thing

Tekron, the Crown Pokemon

Type: Steel/Dark
Ability: Iron Barbs
Wanting to be a animator, this pokemon’s dreams were crushed when it realized it was just a floating crown

Also random question, what do we have for legendaries (if any), because I MAY happen to have done 2 and posted them on this site because I could, here they are…

Unless we do have some destined legendaries… idk I wasn’t going to bother reading through 7 pages worth

May 07, 2014 at 01:54PM EDT

Looks like we’ll need to take initiative, folks!

Shadowman says sprites are the name of the game, so if you’re so inclined, try making them and post them here!

Start with a sprite of your own ‘mon, but ask permission before doing someone else’s.

Make sure you know the correct measurements for your sprite, for example, I imagine that SrsBznss will replace Zigzagoon in the game data, so i checked, and Zigzagoon’s sprite is 64×64. Other than that, it should be easy to pixel-draw!

This can still happen, we just all need to help out!

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 02:07PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 02:05PM EDT

Namaste! You must login or signup first!