(Please do not TL;DR. Important!)
Hello there KYM! While it may be a bit early for Christmas cheer my most recent suspension has given me a “vacation” to make room for some admittedly much needed time organizing and putting down my thoughts into words. In preparation for KYM’s favorite christmas present.
So, if you were here last year, a quick look at the title and you know (mostly) what this is about. And I will be talking about that part first, simply because out of the two this one is guaranteed.
If you weren’t here last year, or had not heard about it last year, allow me to explain.
This is a follow up to my “2014 KYM Calendar”. A mock pin-up calendar with the users of KYM as the months. Considering it’s success and how much fun it was, I’ve decided to do it again this year. However, as I had noticed last year, a set of clear cut “rules” and sense of order/direction is not only nice, but also necessary to get a project like this together. So, this first post will serve as a central hub of information; and while liable to potential change, should remain mostly intact. Having worked out most of the kinks from last year.
1. No user who was part of the calendar last year (had a month), will be part of it this year. I see it as only fair and I’m sure you will understand.
2. Until further notice, there is to be only 1 user per month.
3. While it happened last year, I must say I’m going to put an end to the “first come first served” aspect of the project. Where users who first arrived asked for a month and then “got it”. I will still take requests and consider them, however I will be more active in setting out on my own and asking other members. Now even though it may not be necessary, I feel as if I have to explain myself in order to not come off as a jerk. As there are four reasons for this. One: I feel as it is unfair to other users, arriving “late to the party” and not having a chance at all. Two: While this may sound “mean”, I want to pick users who are more well known throughout the userbase. Given that this is a community project, I would want this to have as much reach as possible. Though I want to make it clear that this will not become a “mod party”, nor do I want to give off the impression that I am cutting anyone off behind the “red velvet rope”. All I’m saying is, if in all of your time at KYM you’ve been lurking, chances are you’re not getting in the calendar. Three: I feel that users who are “hand picked” by me will give me more attention regarding the project. As last year, I had noticed that some users were far more accessible than others. Four: While this is a project for everyone, it is still something I am undertaking, and as such I feel as it is within my power to make such decisions.
4. Some dates important to the internet/KYM/Specific memes may be added as “Mock Holidays”. Some insight/suggestions for these would be appreciated.
(THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES ARE FOR THOSE SELECTED TO BE IN THE PROJECT)
1. Keeping with the tradition, I must ask that for your “month image”, you leave me with more than just your profile picture. Quite honestly, because it’s boring. Here below are some options as to what you could do:
(a): Like the years before, send me a photo of you in the flesh with your profile pic as a mask. In this picture you can be doing anything you want. Smexy pose, walkin’ down the street, riding a dragon…..
(b): You could take it a step further, cosplay as your avatar; or take up a persona to your avatar/profile. Similar to my robe-claddened, silk wearing, rendition of “thegreato”.
©: If you or someone you know has the art skills, you could send in a specially crafted picture for the calendar of your profile pic.
(d): If you would REALLY want me to, you could commission a cosplay from me to serve as your month pic. Though I prefer it to be of you in the flesh or a specially commissioned high quality picture mentioned above.
2. While I understand that some may not have the means to do so easily, I must still request that the images sent in be of the highest quality they can be. No reason other than it will make a finer final product.
3. While there is no reason to feel rushed, nor should there be. I must say that while there isn’t and most likely will never be an official “due date”. I would ask that all of the photos be turned in well before (about a week/ a little less) the planned “release date”, New Year’s Eve.
4. When sending photos in you can use any means, site, or service available to do so. However I request that the link be sent to me via message, as opposed to posted on the forum or my wall. It being that not only is it a more direct and efficient way of getting it into me, but also it keeps the element of surprise for the great reveal. :3
Now this is where I bring up the other thing in the title. (And also as to why I’m giving myself more time.)
This came to me as an additional stocking stuffer alongside the Calendar, and it was something even more ambitious. And so, as opposed to the calendar which is guaranteed to have a final product, this on the other hand is far more up in the air.
Without further adieu, “KYM Sings!”
Now, if you peruse the internet as much as I do, you may have come across such things as “/a/ sings” or “/v/ sings” in which the merry boards of 4chan lend their impeccable voices to the mic and sing for our amusement. I intend to follow this formula, with some minor changes.
That being that all of the songs sung will not simply just be covers. Rather a mixture of covers, parodies, and original songs. The original and parodies being arranged in reference to KYM itself or the internet and specific memes in general. In short, what I’m trying to say is that there is much more variation involved. As an example, here is a small list of possibilities for potential songs. Each in their own state of completeness:
“We’re Mods!” (Parody of “We Are!”)
“Spooky Scary Skeletons” (Cover)
With this being said, it is in a far less developed stage of development than the calendar. So the general rules are going to admittedly be much shorter and less descriptive.
1. Being in the calendar does not directly tie you in with “KYM Sings!” and vice versa. The two being similar, are still separate projects.
2. I will still exercise the same amount of control in regards to who gets “in” as was with the calendar, albet more complicated. As for some songs, more singers/ background singers would be appreciated and much needed, while for others I would want specific users lending their talents.
3. Now here’s where it gets a little tricky….I don’t expect everyone to be immaculate….or even good. In many cases this most likely will add to the charm, or even in some songs, be required. However, for SOME of the songs I must say the bar is set a bit higher….not ALL that high. But still, higher. On this level songs will be mandated.
4. While not related to “talent” quality, again I would ask that the audio clip recordings be in the highest quality possible. I understand that not everyone has a studio quality mic, but for the sake of the potential final product I would request it.
5. In regards to those who are selected, when it comes down to the means of recording your audio use whatever you wish. However I would recommend using Soundcloud based on quality and simplicity.
Well with that out of the way, I must be honest. I’m excited about starting up this project again.
It’s fun, brings the community together, and when’s all said and done leaves us with an actual product. (Something I’m going to improve the quality of compared to last year’s first attempt)
So buckle down, get ready, and prepare yourselves.
The ride is about to begin!