Forums / Fun! / Creative

11,725 total conversations in 468 threads

+ New Thread

Give Some Artistic Advice

Last posted Oct 03, 2014 at 08:38AM EDT. Added Oct 01, 2014 at 03:42PM EDT
12 posts from 10 users

This is a thread where you can decide to give advice to people of how they can become good artists/improve.

Here's something that I've learned on my path to becoming a skilled artist:

There's always going to be 4 types of people that can affect how you do as an artist.

1. The Competition
2. The Critics
3. The Friends
4. The Supportive Artists

The Competition

The Competition, or the more skilled artists, will greatly effect how you become a skilled artist. They can be both a motivation and a damper on your skills. The way you view affects how they can help/hinder your progress.

Say for example, you have a person that you feel is fantastic in artistic skill and ability. You can either view them as an enemy and become enraged in jealousy, or you can look at their art and begin to view them as something you can use to improve your own. I for one have experienced both. I have gotten jealous of a friend for being better than me at art, but I later began to get over it and look at other artists for inspiration. So, they can help and hinder you.

The Critics

I use this in the negative term. The Critic will decide your art is bad, or that they'll never think you're as good as others. They will tell you that your art is bad and harass you for that. Some are other artists that think you're not good enough, while others are those who have expectations, and you possibly don't view their requirements. Others are just complete jerks. Your best bet is to ignore them and to continue on progressing and getting better, no what the haters say.

The Friends

There will be people, your friends who tell you that you can become a good artist when you have enough effort and determination. They'll usually be very supportive to you and give you advice for your progression and give you logical and supportive criticism. They'll usually tell you to keep at it, no matter what others say, and they believe you can do it.

The Supportive Artists

These are the artists that help support you and push you to improve. They want you to get better because they know you have the capability to become a good artist, and they try to make sure you can be the best you can be.

Last edited Oct 01, 2014 at 03:45PM EDT

Laika wrote:

The time you spent making this fancy thread could have been put towards practising

Your advice is not creative. Next suggestion, please.

I usually think of The Friends as nothing more than a sideline cheer squad. Telling me "Good job" ain't making my art better.
Compliments don't end in results. It just ends in me getting frustrated like a motherfucker.

A Furry wrote:

I usually think of The Friends as nothing more than a sideline cheer squad. Telling me "Good job" ain't making my art better.
Compliments don't end in results. It just ends in me getting frustrated like a motherfucker.

To each his own, I guess.

Emerson Grey wrote:

This is a thread where you can decide to give advice to people of how they can become good artists/improve.

Here's something that I've learned on my path to becoming a skilled artist:

There's always going to be 4 types of people that can affect how you do as an artist.

1. The Competition
2. The Critics
3. The Friends
4. The Supportive Artists

The Competition

The Competition, or the more skilled artists, will greatly effect how you become a skilled artist. They can be both a motivation and a damper on your skills. The way you view affects how they can help/hinder your progress.

Say for example, you have a person that you feel is fantastic in artistic skill and ability. You can either view them as an enemy and become enraged in jealousy, or you can look at their art and begin to view them as something you can use to improve your own. I for one have experienced both. I have gotten jealous of a friend for being better than me at art, but I later began to get over it and look at other artists for inspiration. So, they can help and hinder you.

The Critics

I use this in the negative term. The Critic will decide your art is bad, or that they'll never think you're as good as others. They will tell you that your art is bad and harass you for that. Some are other artists that think you're not good enough, while others are those who have expectations, and you possibly don't view their requirements. Others are just complete jerks. Your best bet is to ignore them and to continue on progressing and getting better, no what the haters say.

The Friends

There will be people, your friends who tell you that you can become a good artist when you have enough effort and determination. They'll usually be very supportive to you and give you advice for your progression and give you logical and supportive criticism. They'll usually tell you to keep at it, no matter what others say, and they believe you can do it.

The Supportive Artists

These are the artists that help support you and push you to improve. They want you to get better because they know you have the capability to become a good artist, and they try to make sure you can be the best you can be.

Jeez i wonder who harasses you about your art?
clicks on link and get sent to my user page
tfw

(but seriously, i dont constantly tell you your art sucks)

Not going to lie, your art isn't great.

And by isn't great I mean it's bad.

You got to work on drawing inside the lines for one, your work seems incredibly sloppy. I'd recommend drawing on a laptop/tablet/whatever, and it would seem to be a lot less amatuer-esque, as well as the ablility to undo any mistakes drawn(unless drawing by hand is your style, which I totally get. You just need a lot more practice.)

Okay, im not an artist, or something related to painting/drawing/ nor anything like that.

But i know something about art theory. What is art? a form of exprecion. It express how much culture you have. How you think, how you see the world. Its not just drawing a character/scenario/place you imagined, its how you see the world!, well, thats by talking about drawing something from your own mind, fanart is other thing.

So, what i recomend, is trying to express yourself, there are many, maaany ways but, you have to find yours. Inspiration by other artists is okay, but, you have to find your own style, your own way to express.
I hope all these things i said helped you, and good luck in that path, my friend.

Just do what I do. First I use a reference pic from the internet, or a how to draw type thing and then I go from there. I can draw some pretty neat stuff, I just do a stick figure, and then add further details from there.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!