Forums / Fun! / Forum Games

64,397 total conversations in 719 threads

+ New Thread

Nations RP- Open Spots for New Players

Last posted Jul 18, 2014 at 12:26AM EDT. Added Jun 01, 2014 at 12:37PM EDT
699 posts from 28 users

Decided it was time for another one of these.

The Nations RP is a turn-based forum in game in which they players (hey, that's you) take control of their own socio-political entity, a nation if you will. The most recent and best game in my opinion.

In this particular instance, players will be placed as a nomadic group consisting of Slavic, Germanic, or Steppe peoples in North-East Europe, 500 AD. The player will be a Tribal Confederation with a significant Warrior-Class, but is otherwise rather poor and uneducated. From there, you may do as you realistically please. Go South. Go East. Go West. Settle in new lands, or invade and conquer old ones. Or don't take root and roam the world as nomads, fueled by war and plunder:

(Black Edges are Fog-of-War, the entire globe is present. The small circles represent cities of significance, Stars represent Capitals, and therefore that the nation present is a settled, united people. New icons will be raised as they become relevant.)

To join, you'll need a Name for your people, a Flag or Symbol to represent them, a Color (it can be any EXCEPT Black or White.), and a Culture: Germanic peoples will start in the areas surrounding the Lombards, Slavic peoples will start around the Baltic Peoples, and Steppe Peoples will start in the East edge.
If you have a specific location, list it and I'll see about placing you there. (Protip: Not Scotland)

I'll have sign-ups open for a few days. 10-15 people is about the limit. Once interest is registered or peoples are made, I'll detail how turns work.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 12:40PM EDT

@Stalker: Do you mean to say Anatolia is the name of your people, because Anatolia isn't available as a location.
@jace/anyone else: You need to be Germanic, Slavic, or Steppe. Being of those three determines your location.

Cale wrote:

@Stalker: Do you mean to say Anatolia is the name of your people, because Anatolia isn't available as a location.
@jace/anyone else: You need to be Germanic, Slavic, or Steppe. Being of those three determines your location.

german

Name of Country: Kalos
Name of People: Kalosi
Type: Germanic
Color: Crimson Burgundy

EDIT: Flag:

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 02:16PM EDT

Name: Sachielia
Name of People: Sachielions
Colour: Orange
Flag:
Culture: Steppe
Can't wait to get this started, I loved the last one.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 02:19PM EDT

Question, do we all remain poor and uneducated throughout the game or is it possible for us to gain knowledge and riches as we move on? Also do we make up our tribes culture systems and spiritual beliefs and folklore? Maybe I'm asking to much here but I'm curious since this is my first time playing a Nation RPG.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

Question, do we all remain poor and uneducated throughout the game or is it possible for us to gain knowledge and riches as we move on? Also do we make up our tribes culture systems and spiritual beliefs and folklore? Maybe I'm asking to much here but I'm curious since this is my first time playing a Nation RPG.

Good opportunity to expand on some things.

By and large, the answer to the first question is "no". The fall of Rome in the West has spelled the end of education beyond Church doors for many centuries, but eventually progression will occur. As for poor, it's a great priority to fix that, whether it's by settling and forming an economy, or looting and ravaging the landscape.

As for culture, everyone starts very loosely on the culture they choose, Steppe peoples being Horse Riding Nomads for example. However I very much encourage you to develop your people in a unique way. It makes one attached to their people, and gives me a more dynamic view of your nation. In that manner I can reflect your actions better.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 03:18PM EDT

Great way to kick off the summer, I'd say.

Name: Eggman Empire
Flag:

Color: Eh, lava If that's too close to either red or dark red to differentiate on the map, then I'll go with dark green.
Culture: Germanic

I don't care for a specific location, but I'd prefer to be settled a little closer to the west of my available region, if that's alright.

Thanks, Cale.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 03:10PM EDT

Think I'll explain stats now;
All players have a publicly displayed set of "stats" that give a rough idea of the state of affairs, and are as follows:

Nation
Player Name
Culture: Lifestyle and Culture your people adhere to.
Government: The system of power that your people follow
-Military; Rated by a series of x's, higher being greater ability to commit to a military act and success in those act..
Army: Size, potency, and logistical capability of your Soldiers and Warriors.
Navy: Size and efficiency of your military fleets.
-Economy; Rated by a series of x's, higher being a greater amount
Revenue: Taxes and regular income, this is the amount of time, effort, or money you can spend without concern.
Treasury: Money or Assets that a nation has in reserve, which is used for expensive or extreme projects.
-The size and type of classes that make up your people.

So, an example of the Romans:

Roman Empire
Player
Sedentary Latin-Greeks
Imperial Monarchy
-Military;
Army: xxxxxxx
Navy: xxxxxxxx
-Economy;
Revenue: xxxxxx
Treasury: xxxxxxxxx
-Large Peasant Class, Average Working Class, Small Economic Elite

Name: Cattonia
Color: #416600
Culture: Steppe
Flag:

I need to say that this is a placeholder sorta, since I don't know if I'll be able to play yet. My internet situation is messed up.

unusedusername wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Get neighborly.

(Also if anyone is too upset with their color, tell me now. Positions are more or less fixed.)

Anyway, now I'll explain how turns work.

Turns are fairly simple, you send a Private Message to me, titles "NatRP Turn X", x being the turn we are currently on. Each message can consist of up to six "moves", which may be any sort of action performed by your leadership, for example:

1. The deployment of three Legions into the frontier of Armenia
2. Negotiation of a trade agreement with the Sassinids
3. Establishment of a universal mint to standardize currency.

They CANNOT be "Meta-Moves", nor a technological advancement (until further notice) such as :

1. Invent gunpowder.
2. Send an Emissary to Korea.
3. The people all begin worshiping the king as god.

Players also have to interact outside, I won't middle-man negotiations between players.

Moves are instructions, and should be treated as such.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 09:00PM EDT

Cale wrote:

Get neighborly.

(Also if anyone is too upset with their color, tell me now. Positions are more or less fixed.)

Anyway, now I'll explain how turns work.

Turns are fairly simple, you send a Private Message to me, titles "NatRP Turn X", x being the turn we are currently on. Each message can consist of up to six "moves", which may be any sort of action performed by your leadership, for example:

1. The deployment of three Legions into the frontier of Armenia
2. Negotiation of a trade agreement with the Sassinids
3. Establishment of a universal mint to standardize currency.

They CANNOT be "Meta-Moves", nor a technological advancement (until further notice) such as :

1. Invent gunpowder.
2. Send an Emissary to Korea.
3. The people all begin worshiping the king as god.

Players also have to interact outside, I won't middle-man negotiations between players.

Moves are instructions, and should be treated as such.

can we do the same thing again

@jace: I'm going to have to ask you elaborate, I'm not sure what you mean.

@Everyone Else: Tomorrow I'll put up "Turn 0", and we'll begin then.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 08:56PM EDT

Cale wrote:

Think I'll explain stats now;
All players have a publicly displayed set of "stats" that give a rough idea of the state of affairs, and are as follows:

Nation
Player Name
Culture: Lifestyle and Culture your people adhere to.
Government: The system of power that your people follow
-Military; Rated by a series of x's, higher being greater ability to commit to a military act and success in those act..
Army: Size, potency, and logistical capability of your Soldiers and Warriors.
Navy: Size and efficiency of your military fleets.
-Economy; Rated by a series of x's, higher being a greater amount
Revenue: Taxes and regular income, this is the amount of time, effort, or money you can spend without concern.
Treasury: Money or Assets that a nation has in reserve, which is used for expensive or extreme projects.
-The size and type of classes that make up your people.

So, an example of the Romans:

Roman Empire
Player
Sedentary Latin-Greeks
Imperial Monarchy
-Military;
Army: xxxxxxx
Navy: xxxxxxxx
-Economy;
Revenue: xxxxxx
Treasury: xxxxxxxxx
-Large Peasant Class, Average Working Class, Small Economic Elite

Should we post the information about our nations here or can we PM them to you? Also can my color be a bit darker?

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 09:09PM EDT

jace is a boss wrote:

can you do the same move twice like negotiations with empires

A single act from beginning to end is an action. So you could;

1. Form a Treaty with NationA
2. Form a Treaty with NationB.
or
1. Form a Treaty with NationA
2. Ally with NationA

@Crow: You can send me any information you want. Anyone who wants to do this will become their own culture eventually, meaning you in particular would go from "Germanic" to "Amarjian". As for color, I can make yours darker, yes.

Last edited Jun 01, 2014 at 09:23PM EDT

Turn 0, 500 AD

Map of The World

Events:
-A surprise twist in history, as a massive swing of migratory peoples spring up across North-Eastern Europe. They are by and large more Germans and Slavs, but a new wave of Steppe Folk have sprung as well.
-The game begins. Players will now send in a turn labeled "NatRP Turn 1" every turn, which will will be at least 24 hours, and for any corrections/changes you want to make, send the new turn as "NatRP Turn X EDIT". Please label for the correct turn. Repeated disregard for this may lead to missed/ignored turns. I will try to post a new turn at least every other day, but delays cannot be helped however.
-Anyone who has already sent a turn will not need to send a new one, unless they desire to.

Kickassains
Captain Douglas J Falcon
Slavic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
Army: xxxx
-Economy;
Revenue: xx
Treasury: xxx
-Vast Hunter-Warrior Class

-A slew of northern Slavs have come south to form one power, the Kickassians.

Anatolians
MrStalker
Slavic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A number of migratory Slavs have united themselves under a symbol of significance, and are now known as the Anatolians

Dracones
jace is a boss
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A handful of former Foederati have gathered together a collection of other tribes, forming the Dracones

Al Amarjians
CrowTheMagician
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-One of the many forest-dwelling German tribes forced to move in the past hundred years, the Al Amarjians unite together.

Kalosi
Fridge Logic
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-Formed from a minority of Angles and Saxons, along with native Germans, the Kalosi spring up.

Autons
Spider-byte
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
Army: xxx
Navy: xx
-Economy;

-The peoples of the coast have found safety in numbers, and have become known as Autons.

Sachielions
CrouchingSloth
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A large tribe of Horse-Riding Nomads has sprung from the East, under the name of the Sacheilions.

Wastelandites
Weasel
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-The barren north gives birth to another surprisingly potent people, who are unimaginatively known as Wastelandites.

Arstotzkans
LaikaOS
Slavic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A combination of new-wave migration and frontier peoples have taken to their heels again, a group known as the Arstotzkans.

Ezyksens
LilB
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A determined group of Horsemen have made strides into the west, they are the Ezyksens.

Eggmen
DrRobotnik
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-An independent group of Frankish-Germans have appeared on the border of the Frankish Kingdoms, this independent group is the Eggmen.

Cattonians
madcat
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-Rumor spreads of a new Steppe people in the farthest reaches. They speak of the Cattonians.

Arinians
TopTierSmug
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-A strand of Germans in Dacia have rounded themselves together into the Arinians.

Maldanians
unusedusername
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-Perhaps an offshoot of the Samartians, the Maldanians have entered the scene as another Horse-Riding people.

Moklaezians
RichterVonZelmisburg
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-Forced east long ago by the Alemanni peoples, the Moklaezians are never-the-less a united force.

Foziis
Player
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

-The Iranian-speaking Fozniis have appeared in the farthest reaches of East Europe.

Last edited Jun 02, 2014 at 03:45PM EDT

Syndic wrote:

Too bad you've reached your player limit, or I'd have joined. I'll be watching though, should be fun. Yeah.

Madcat has a complicated internet situation, so it's still up in the air as to his participation. I could put you in the waiting list.

THE STORY OF HOW ANATOLIA BEGAN!

One Day, a man trying to kill another man for food, but then a ax-holding man looks down at the Attacker, "Tell me, what are you doing to you fellow wolf?" said the ax-holding man, "I'm taking his food, for he is weak and needs none" said the attacker, "Well tell me, Does a lone wolf lives longer than a pack?" Said the Ax-holding man, "Um….no, why? Who are you even!?" Said the angry attacker, "I am Vuk, and i wish for you to join me, and make a pack" Said Vuk, "and why should i?", "Because it's better than hunting alone" Said Vuk to the attacker, the attacker seems welcoming to the Pack agreement, "I'll tell my friends and the other Tribesmen, This pack of Us will bring this land to a Rejoice"

Pretty Bland Ain't it?

I feel the need to clarify a few things. Though I did say "poor and uneducated" and I use the word tribe, I never meant to imply that anyone is Neolithic in nature, they are simply disorganized and unlearned. They still have practical knowledge, such as sophisticated agriculture, metallurgy, archery, etc.
Also note that everyone has begun as a confederation of lesser tribes. Each of these confederations numbers many thousands, so menial things such as actively finding food or water are not of any concern. Think macro.

As an aside everyone seem to believe they have a military structure of the Roman Legion. Really my fault. My examples posted are from the perspective of Rome. No one has any real structure, Soldiers are just pulled from the militias and populace, unless you feel like establishing a professional military.

Last edited Jun 02, 2014 at 11:12PM EDT

Turn 1, 510 AD

Map of the World

Events:

- The peoples of Hibernia are united under a single High King, and the Kingdom of Ireland is born.

Kickassains
Captain Douglas J Falcon
Sedentary Slavs
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
Army: xxxxx
-Economy;
- Small Peasant Class, Large Hunter-Warrior Class

- Scouts are sent to the Arstotzkan territories. News comes back that the territories are occupied by Arstotzkans.
- Scouts are sent also to Ezyksens. Wild rumors and hasty reports speak of Ezyksens those lands.
- The Kickassians settle roots in the form of "frontier" farms and ranches. Without a center of commerce, this may strangle the Kickassian people.

Anatolians
MrStalker
Sedentary Slavs
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
-Small Peasant Class, Large Hunter-Warrior Class

- Anatolian people plop down on their rears and claim the lands the occupy. Many go about establishing small farming communities, and a capital is established.

Dracones
jace is a boss
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

Al Amarjians
CrowTheMagician
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
Treasury: xx

- A new settlement is established in the Amarjian lands, but thus far is little more than a glorified camp.
- A tradition of Effigies and Totems sprouts up among the Amarjians, as well as a revival of Bards and Song-Makers of German old.

Kalosi
Fridge Logic
Sedentary Germans
Feudal Monarchy
-Military;
Navy: x
-Economy;
Revenue: xxx
-Small Peasant Class, Small Working Class, Large Hunter-Warrior Class

- Nobility and Leaders come to establish a single leader of the Kalosi, who is crowned as King.
- An ambitious plan to establish a professional army falls flat, as the Kingdom cannot possibly support a standing military at this time.
- Nearby settlements are put to their place under a Kalosi flag. In the south, Eggmen settlers are sent home at spear-point.
- Relations are established with the Angles and Saxons, and a formal trade is chartered.

Autons
Spider-byte
Sedentary Germans
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
Navy: xx
-Economy;

- A formal Warband is put together, though little effort is needed for the Autons to lay claim to their northern neighbors.
- The Autons begin to settle the coast.

Sachielions
CrouchingSloth
Sedentary Steppe Peoples
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
Treasury: x
-Small Peasant Class, Small Working Class, Large Hunter-Warrior Class

- Explorers and frontiersmen scout east, and bring word of a foreign people to the North-East, but little else.
- An effective currency is developed, based on coinage exclusively in gold and silver.
- An entirely new city is established in the center of Sachielion territory, and though expensive and somewhat haphazard, proves to be a respectable settlement for herding and agriculture.

Wastelandites
Weasel
Sedentary Steppe Peoples
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
-Tiny Peasant Class, Small Working Class, Large Hunter-Warrior Class

- Organized effort to extract the mineral wealth of the land are put into motion. As luck would have it, the region is home to a fair bit of iron and copper.
- The Wastelandite begin to settle the bitter land, but there is little life the land has to offer. A center of commerce and relations with neighbors will mean the difference between life and death for the Wastelandites.
- Attempts to form Food stores fall flat, as few are willing to hand their labors over alongside their taxes.

Arstotzkans
LaikaOS
Slavic Nomads
Aristocratic Oligarchy
-Military;
-Economy;

- A classical Aristocracy is established: The most knowledgeable and able members are given positions of leadership and responsibility.
- Scouts are sent in all directions, but bring no new information.
- The local area is seen fit to settle, as mildly successful settlements prove to the immediate east and west.

Ezyksens
LilB
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

Eggmen
DrRobotnik
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

- Extensive scouting brings back this knowledge: the west is held firmly under the hand of the Franks, the south is a more viable route, lacking an organized power in the region, and the north has been cut-off by Kalosi conquests.
- A simple trade is established with the Franks.
- A force is prepared to move, but after a few months, the force is dissolved for inactivity.

Cattonians
madcat
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

Arinians
TopTierSmug
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

Maldanians
unusedusername
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;

Moklaezians
RichterVonZelmisburg
Germanic Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
Treasury: xxxx

- Tribal Leaders begin to procure large amounts of European and Asian Horses in order to supplement their Boots-On-The-Ground lifestyle.
- A raid is struck on the nearest city. Though by no means a wealthy or sophisticated target, the Moklaezians never-the-less make off with a great deal of dry-goods, slaves, and practical materials.
- Scouts are sent to the Lombard and Gepid realms. By all estimates, the Lombards are a powerful and aggressive Germanic people, while the Gepids are an unsettled and much weaker Germanic people.

Foziis
Player
Steppe Nomads
Tribal Confederation
-Military;
-Economy;
Treasury: xx

- Warbands sent north quickly make a vassal of the poorly defended city they find.
- Extensive scouting and cartography is performed in the east, and seems to show that, save for an unknown people to the north-east, the Steppes are devoid of noteworthy Civilization. They do bring back word of a people to the South, who behave like Huns, but do not resemble them.
- Contact with the Huns is lost as they are absorbed by the roving Bulgars, though a trade route is established with the Albernian People.
- A simple currency of coins minted of precious metals is put into circulation, and helps the Foznii make more exact trades between themselves and others.
- A written history is put together, to serve as a basis for future annals. Though obviously exaggerated, detailing a line of heroes and migration going back thousands of years, it does help provide a sense of civic pride.

Last edited Jun 03, 2014 at 09:56PM EDT

neet wrote:

If any neighboring nations wish to engage in trade, the Sachielions would be more than happy to do so.

why yes I do need some trades

however I already sent my turn, but you can opt to connect the path between our nations.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!