Forums / Discussion / General

170,921 total conversations in 5,485 threads

+ New Thread

Team Fortress 2 is now free! Here's how to get it.

Last posted Jul 10, 2011 at 08:26PM EDT. Added Jun 23, 2011 at 10:46PM EDT
83 posts from 31 users

Everytime I talk with someone about TF2 who hasn’t heard about it before has no idea how to get this game for some reason. I decided to put in this here for the newbs who don’t know.

So with the advent of Meet the Medic TF2 is now a free game. If you don’t already have it and don’t know how to get it, here’s a quick guide.

First, you need Steam to be able to download and play most modern games. If you have it, you probably don’t need this thread in the first place. http://store.steampowered.com/ Launch it, and go to the store. If it doesn’t give you a link to download TF2, just search Team Fortress 2. Download, and enjoy.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:46PM EDT

Doesn’t it also come packaged with The Orange Box, along with Half Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:49PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Doesn’t it also come packaged with The Orange Box, along with Half Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal?

No, the Orange Box comes packaged with TF2, all the HL2 games, and Portal 1. If you’re looking for a deal, get the Valve Complete Pack. That’s every Valve game for 100 bucks. Buying them individually costs like 250.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:52PM EDT

Just saw the trailer… I loved it, and when I saw TF2 was free forever, i nearly cried manly tears of joy onto my keyboard!

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:29PM EDT

I hereby declare tf2, the new standard game of KYM.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43PM EDT

If you have steam or are getting it be sure to join The Know Your Meme Team (KYMT) group in the community section. My username there is Kilroy.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:48PM EDT

Mine is noisyroxas. Any suggestions for a newbie-friendly class?

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:53PM EDT

I has my World of Tanks, so I’m good :).

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:54PM EDT

angrypwnzer wrote:

Mine is noisyroxas. Any suggestions for a newbie-friendly class?

You’ll probably want to start out as Engineer or Soldier. I like to hang out on Chocolate Hammer (ChHa), come there when I’m on and I’ll show you a few tricks of the trade. I use the same name here as I do on Steam and I’m the KYMT’s Player of the Week, so it shouldn’t be that hard to find me. I would also check out the official Wiki if I were you. It’s home to loads of useful information for a starting player like yourself.

Last edited Jun 24, 2011 at 12:04AM EDT
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:02AM EDT

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Knowyourmeme

For some reason I am the leader of the group now.

Edit: No one saw those grammar fails.

Last edited Jun 24, 2011 at 12:13AM EDT
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:03AM EDT

Drpepperfan #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

My steam lists both TF2 and TF2 Beta. Which one should I download?

Both. If you have TF2, the Beta’s included automatically.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:09AM EDT

angrypwnzer wrote:

Do we have our own server?

No, a KYM Server was never set up. The idea was floating around for awhile, but it never got off the ground.

Last edited Jun 24, 2011 at 12:43AM EDT
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37AM EDT

Mine is ashbo12 and I got a picture of chen.

Jun 24, 2011 at 02:40AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

Drop Steam names.

Mine is Katie Starshine

Guess mine…….We are a bunch of prodigies here when it come to multiple titles…
- the aaa’s

Jun 24, 2011 at 03:27AM EDT

I think it will significantly boost the size of the KYM steam group.
I’m in.

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:27AM EDT

So, is KYM planning a get together game, even if we don’t have a server?

I need to exercise firefly and my axtinguisher…

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:37AM EDT

I’m ‘Daneisnumberone’. Yeah, I know, gay name. But I made it in 5th grade, don’t judge.

Jun 24, 2011 at 08:34AM EDT

Someone gave me a Degreaser and a Holy Mackerel for free.
I <3 the TF2 community.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:37AM EDT

angrypwnzer wrote:

Someone gave me a Degreaser and a Holy Mackerel for free.
I <3 the TF2 community.

Two of my fav. weapons right there. Pretty good =)

If you use the Degreaser, do what I do and use it with an Axtinguisher. Rips enemies apart, but you need to be in melee distance.

Jun 24, 2011 at 01:17PM EDT

I’ve got a server that never gets used for anything else and already has the server client on it. We could occasionally use it to host games if everyone can agree on days. Screen name is ArdentGamer, profile is fauchardwwas if you want to friend me. I’m a medic most of the time, but switch classes if we’re missing a more important role and already have a medic.

Jun 24, 2011 at 02:54PM EDT

I’m hellolittlefish. Hopefully the game is still free when I get a chance to download later this weekend :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 03:42PM EDT

Olivia Gulin wrote:

I’m hellolittlefish. Hopefully the game is still free when I get a chance to download later this weekend :)

It’s free forever.

Jun 24, 2011 at 03:45PM EDT

i’ve been waiting forever for this game to be free… i’m so glad i didn’t buy it last week. My account is unlimitedpower6 , and after i download the game, i’ll tell you my ingame name.

Jun 24, 2011 at 04:22PM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

It’s free forever.

Forever forever!?!?!

Yaaaaay :D

Jun 24, 2011 at 05:34PM EDT

So….what’s everybody’s class preferences?
I apend the most time playing Scout,Pyro, and Soldier

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:16PM EDT

I’m usually playing either normal or combat medic. If I’ve got the crossbow out I will heal people. If I’m using the blut, RUN COWARDS RUUUUNNNNNN!

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:26PM EDT

hey death, mind if I add ya on steam, I"m know as Spy is a Spy, I"ll give you some tf2 items in the mix

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:30PM EDT

I like the scout, when the server is rather empty, its harder to play it as more people join.

The Demoman is a pretty awesome class, he can spam grenades, do a lot of damage, and I’m sure he can take out a medic combo with enough skill.

The medic is pretty fun, but gets boring quick.

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:30PM EDT

Hey, Anybody want a chargin targe? For some reason they’re about the only item I get consistently…

And We’re only boring if you’re paired with a crappy healing buddy. But even then, with the blut you can take out pretty much anybody but a pyro or scout.

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:37PM EDT

‘Sup bitches, screenname’s Stoffe.

Side note, Pyro’s my favourite. Only downside is that I’m screwed in long-distance, open enviorment encounters.

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:41PM EDT

If I end up trying it, I’ll be Brucker, or something similar, since I’m so creative. Going to download now…

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:42PM EDT

Stoffe, you should start looking for a http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Flare_gun then. I might have one, if I do I’d be happy to give it to you, seeing as I don’t really play pyro often enough to worry about having one.

Jun 24, 2011 at 06:48PM EDT

The flare gun is good for scouts, and medic, and slower classes.

It sorta dooms you if a Pyro pops out with a shotgun.

But when I play Pyro, its usually a team effort.

Jun 24, 2011 at 07:01PM EDT

ArdentGamer wrote:

Stoffe, you should start looking for a http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Flare_gun then. I might have one, if I do I’d be happy to give it to you, seeing as I don’t really play pyro often enough to worry about having one.

Lucky me, I only need 2 more ’chives to get this badboy.

Jun 24, 2011 at 07:07PM EDT

I have no favorite class really. I play each one equally. On my stats screen the time/points bars are about equal for all classes.

Jun 24, 2011 at 07:19PM EDT

I’ve heard people are making plugins that boot f2p.

Jun 24, 2011 at 08:23PM EDT

How would that even work? Would they check to see if the person had the proof of purchase hat?

Jun 24, 2011 at 08:35PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!