Forums / Discussion / General

232,637 total conversations in 7,778 threads

+ New Thread

Know Your Meme Album Exchange Club

Last posted Aug 26, 2011 at 02:04PM EDT. Added Jul 20, 2011 at 09:37PM EDT
204 posts from 31 users

ATTENTION! SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED RIGHT NOW! I WILL CHANGE THIS MESSAGE WHEN THEY ARE OPEN AGAIN

I've been enjoying this with TV Tropes for while now, so I thought I'd attempt the same thing over here as well.

The rules of this thread go like this: Each round we'll each reccomend ONE album for the round, which will be assembelled into one list. One album will be chosen at random, and everyone particapating in the round will download and listen to it. From there we'll discuss it and give our opinions of them, eventually moving onto the next album when I decide that conversation has slowed down enough.

Please make sure you have a download of the album ready for when it's chosen, although Youtube and Grooveshark playlists are acceptable as well.

My first reccomendation will be Hunky Dory by David Bowie. Once I have enough albums I'll pick an album and we'll begin.

Last edited Jul 30, 2011 at 08:44PM EDT

Enh where are the links?

My pick Since I Left You by The Avalanches

Links:
http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Since+I+Left+You/128671 (not in order use wikipedia for tracklist)

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?lkmzfggjmzy

Anyway, I thought we were gonna wait until PimpAbra got back to do this. Oh well.
Here's a classic:

Last edited Jul 20, 2011 at 10:26PM EDT

Trying to pick out one album for me to suggest is like asking me what kid I like most. If you insist on only one though:

Fever Ray

By the way, Four Tet rocks!

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 12:27AM EDT

Mr Bumhole #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

I will wait until tomorrow I pick the first album, give people more time to join in, and then we'll begin. Any time of day you would prefer to start? 6, 7?

Six or seven what, GMT? AM or PM? Seriously.

I am available from 1800 through 0600 GMT (BST?).

Mr Bumhole #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

I mean american 6-7.

Just use GMT.

By the way, I stole SWFlash's wall code and modified it to listen to the album I suggested for when this thing starts. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to stop it from starting on a random song, so you'll have to go to the first one (shark fighter) manually if you wanna listen to them in order.

Okay. That's enough. 17 is definitely enough for a round. Sorry anyone else, but if you hang around until the end, you can take part in the next turn. I may make an exception for any long time members and mods though. Or just people I really like. I'm shallow like that. I'll just put these in a list.

1. Hunky Dory – David Bowie
2. Aenima – Tool
3. good news for people who love bad news – Modest Mouse
4. My world – Justin Bieber (Fuck you Josh. So much)
5. My pick Since I Left You – The Avalanches
6. Four Tet – Rounds
7. The Wall – Pink Floyd
8. Aquabats – High Five Soup!
9. Death From Above 1979 – You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine
10. Fever Ray
11. Queen Greatest Hit's (Hmm, a bit dodgy having a compilation album, but I guess it's okay :/ )
12. The Blueprint 3 – Jay-Z
13. Infinityland – Biffy Clyro
14. Feel Good Ghosts (Tea Partying Through Tornadoes) – Cloud Cult
15. Psyence fiction – UNKLE
16. Ten – Pearl Jam (FUCK YES)
17. American Idiot – Green Day.

Random number generator selected number 15, Psyence Fiction by UNKLE, Butterinyobreads album. Now just to wait for a download link.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 08:53AM EDT

I finished listening to it on Grooveshark. It was… interesting. It was like Bonobo but a little bit stranger. This type of music isn't really my thing, so I can't really give it a fair assessment, but a couple of the tracks, namely Guns Blazing (Drums of Death, Pt. 1) and Lonely Soul, were pretty enjoyable.

nursery ryhmes quite good as well,the more chilled tracks like bloodstain or celestial annihilation grow on you imo

also this might be handy:http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9489/howdoesidownloaded.png

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 11:24AM EDT

www.mediafire.com/?zjl3ndo5utr There's the link.

But Death the Kid, the surprise oh what's inside is half da fun!

The only UNKLE song I know is Rabbit in Your Headlights, which is on here. Putting it on to listen to…

Loving the drum beat on the opening song so far, sounds sampled. Hmm, if only there was a website I could use…..

2nd track was a bit meh, nice but not noticeable, but Bloodstain better, lovely guitar riff. How much of this album is samples Butterinyobread? Singing voice is nice, whole song is relaxing and yet creepy….I have afeeling this is gonna be a theme thoughout the album.

This is sorta like a DJ Shadow album with the instruemtnal tracks really. Which is a good thing. And these drum loop samples are some of the most BOSS I've heard.

Loving the collabs so far. Bloke from Verve was cool. And holy shit what is with this sample?? Haha oh my god this is the song isnt it? Not just an introduction, this is the whole thing? Ball Buster. Genius. Love it. Perfection. Best track.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 12:36PM EDT

The presence of Badly Drawn Boy makes me feel guilty for not waiting for PimpAbra ;_;
But anyway, yeah it was good. Not as good as anything else though.

There is a mother fucking Beastie Boy on this album.

Rating 11/10.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 12:49PM EDT

Um, no. I think 3 people have listen to it so far, with next to no responses. :/

No new album for you dawg.

After the pure kickass "I'm fucking youre brain out of awesomeness" that was The Knock (FEATURING A BEASTIE BOY), Chaos is quite the dissapointment. But oh wait, I know whats coming…

Rabbit in Your Headlights is awesome. Thom Yorke man, pretty cool. Best thign about it though? IT'S MUSIC VIDEO.

This ending song with Ian Brown is pretty good, although I wish they'd ended on it's strongest point with Thom yorke.

And I'll just leave this here.

That was a pretty good album, i enjoyed it greatly. Best fuckign drums I've heard since Endtroducing, and the guest performers did their job great for the most part (in paticular MOTHERFUCKIGN BEASTIE BOY), and there were a few stand out tracks, like the opening, Rabbit in Headlights and Bloodstain. Pretty boss. I liked it. I can hear some general connections with Radiohead, did the two ever work together apart from this Thom Yorke collab?

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 01:12PM EDT

Wait, we are listening to every album on the list? I though it was just the one randomly selected and then we start a new batch of songs. Well, derp on me.

No new album for me? Oh ok, DPF.

I was gonna pick an old album, but I'm sure you never heard of it…

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 01:07PM EDT

Rabbit in your Headlights is my favourite. Creepy and slow, and I love pianos. This was an excellent album all around, and every single one of them (minus the ad) is staying on my computer. Nice pick.

Man, you guys are done already?

If we do an album a day there is no way way for me to keep up.

Anyway my songnalysis.

1 – "Oh trip-hop! I liked Dummy by Portishead so this might be good. Oh, there is actual rapping? Neat. I like this song".
2 – "Huh, lots of samples, this song is pretty good too".
3 – "Enh, this song is pretty dull, i don't really like it."
4 – "Oh lord the feedback, and the noises. Actually this is okay."
5 – "This song is too long for my tastes, it should have ended at least a minute ago."
6 – "This must be some sort of joke song"
7 – "I like this song as long as I don't listen to the too deep for me lyrics overall this son- UNH HUH UNH HUH oh god what i- UNH HUH this is the brea- UNH HUH"
8 – "Huh, this is cool and it sounds like music on a spaceship video game level. Whoa is this a new song? Oh, I guess not. Now bass, and sounding like a video game level.
9 – "This sounds like every beastie boy song if they played it through my nightmares"
10 – "whisper whisper whisper aaaaaah whisper whisper whisper aaaaaaaaah"
11 – "Thom Yorke sounds like he's trying to get his dad to pull over for ice cream 'Daaaaaaad, Iiiiiii waaaaaaant iiiiiiiiiit, Iiiiiii proooooomise Iiiiiii woooooon't aaaaaaask aaaaagaaaaaaaaaaain' so so whiny"
12 – "What am I listening to"
13 – "Hmm. I guess that's that."

So yeah, that was okay. 6/10 for me. I've never been the biggest fan of ambient music but this was enjoyable. I'm gonna download it. Also I'm terrible at reviews.

EDIT: only queers can't handle listening to music made for preteen girls. Josh's pick has to stay.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 06:18PM EDT

Captain Blubber wrote:

Man, you guys are done already?

If we do an album a day there is no way way for me to keep up.

Anyway my songnalysis.

1 – "Oh trip-hop! I liked Dummy by Portishead so this might be good. Oh, there is actual rapping? Neat. I like this song".
2 – "Huh, lots of samples, this song is pretty good too".
3 – "Enh, this song is pretty dull, i don't really like it."
4 – "Oh lord the feedback, and the noises. Actually this is okay."
5 – "This song is too long for my tastes, it should have ended at least a minute ago."
6 – "This must be some sort of joke song"
7 – "I like this song as long as I don't listen to the too deep for me lyrics overall this son- UNH HUH UNH HUH oh god what i- UNH HUH this is the brea- UNH HUH"
8 – "Huh, this is cool and it sounds like music on a spaceship video game level. Whoa is this a new song? Oh, I guess not. Now bass, and sounding like a video game level.
9 – "This sounds like every beastie boy song if they played it through my nightmares"
10 – "whisper whisper whisper aaaaaah whisper whisper whisper aaaaaaaaah"
11 – "Thom Yorke sounds like he's trying to get his dad to pull over for ice cream 'Daaaaaaad, Iiiiiii waaaaaaant iiiiiiiiiit, Iiiiiii proooooomise Iiiiiii woooooon't aaaaaaask aaaaagaaaaaaaaaaain' so so whiny"
12 – "What am I listening to"
13 – "Hmm. I guess that's that."

So yeah, that was okay. 6/10 for me. I've never been the biggest fan of ambient music but this was enjoyable. I'm gonna download it. Also I'm terrible at reviews.

EDIT: only queers can't handle listening to music made for preteen girls. Josh's pick has to stay.

I agree with all but the edit.

angrypwnzer wrote:

I agree with all but the edit.

You're right, queers could handle listening to pre-teen girl music.

You'd have to be the world's most retarded baby to not be able to handle it.

Captain Blubber wrote:

Look, his music sucks a 90-year old man's cajones, and he is the type who drops the soap in prison on purpose.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 04:52PM EDT

First Impressions of UNKLE:

Listened to Bloodstain, Unreal, Rabbit in Your Headlights, Be There, and Chaos. The tracks were okay. This album reminds me a lot of something Elliot Smith, Radiohead or Badly Drawn Boy would write. Unfortunately, The only thing I don't like about the album is the "airy" sound that they have going on.

Also, I think we need to add some ground rules about posting albums: you must listen to the selected album if you suggested one, otherwise we would have people simply not posting their responses after uploading their suggestion.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 06:31PM EDT

Captain Blubber wrote:

I think blubber is pressuring everyone to listen to JB.

I don't care cause I love Justin Beiber.

My comments on UNKLE Psyence Fiction:

BTW, if you rather listen to them in youtube, here's the link.

1. Guns Blazing (Drums Of Death Pt. 1): Nice intro. Puts one into sort of a old-school sci-fi theme of the album. Some sampling, beats ok.
2. Unkle Main Title Theme: Techno-ish. Feels like playing space invaders.
3. Bloodstain: Ambient music. Not bad, but not rememberable.
4. Unreal: Didn't realize the song changed. More techno-ish and drums. Don't know why it sort of reminds me of the anime Lain.
5. Lonely Soul: Beats are almost the same as previous song. Not bad, but 8 minutes? Damn.
6. Getting Ahead In The Lucrative Field Of Artist Management. Listened to this while watching the youtube video associated with it with some tigers and circus masters. Made me smirk.
7. Nursery Rhyme/Breather: WTF the youtube video were clips from Digimon Savers. Felt uncomfortable, yet somehow not without grace. Now the digimasters are teenagers? heh.
8. Celestial Annihilation: Oh, alright. Mixing, some turntable scratching, etc.
9. The Knock (Drums Of Death Pt. 2). It was not in the youtube playlist. Instead, listened to the Indopepsychics Remix. Turururuuru-ra! Turururururu-ra!
10. Chaos. More of old-school radio spacey-transmission? Oh, and lyrics. I like this one. A good change of pace from the previous electro-techno.
11. Rabbit In Your Headlights. Don't appreciate a random old geezer blurting nonsense. Kind of a hipster song or something.
12. Untitled: More spacey radio feedback? Meh.

Overall, not bad for ambient electro-techno. But after listening to this once, I really cannot remember much of the songs. Not catchy at all, though not sure if that is a good thing or not in this case.
I give it a 6.5/10.

Last edited Jul 21, 2011 at 10:47PM EDT

I can't believe I'm having to say this, but yes, once you've suggested an album, you MUST listen to and comment on other peoples albums. Don't just leave one here and only come back when it's your album. If you do that? You get kicked.

And yes, we're listening to every album. Jeez, why am I explaining this. >_<

Here's a link to the site showing the samples used in this. this is a pretty fantastic album for samples.

Oh and overall? Really quite enjouyed this. Atmospheric, good beats, Beastie Boys, all very good. 7.5/10.

…So if you don't post a review of the album, then your suggestion gets kicked from the list then? Seems fair.

When do we switch albums? I think giving 1-3 days per album is a decent enough amount of time to listen to it, then we can move on to another one.

Last edited Jul 22, 2011 at 08:33AM EDT

Hiroman wrote:

My comments on UNKLE Psyence Fiction:

BTW, if you rather listen to them in youtube, here's the link.

1. Guns Blazing (Drums Of Death Pt. 1): Nice intro. Puts one into sort of a old-school sci-fi theme of the album. Some sampling, beats ok.
2. Unkle Main Title Theme: Techno-ish. Feels like playing space invaders.
3. Bloodstain: Ambient music. Not bad, but not rememberable.
4. Unreal: Didn't realize the song changed. More techno-ish and drums. Don't know why it sort of reminds me of the anime Lain.
5. Lonely Soul: Beats are almost the same as previous song. Not bad, but 8 minutes? Damn.
6. Getting Ahead In The Lucrative Field Of Artist Management. Listened to this while watching the youtube video associated with it with some tigers and circus masters. Made me smirk.
7. Nursery Rhyme/Breather: WTF the youtube video were clips from Digimon Savers. Felt uncomfortable, yet somehow not without grace. Now the digimasters are teenagers? heh.
8. Celestial Annihilation: Oh, alright. Mixing, some turntable scratching, etc.
9. The Knock (Drums Of Death Pt. 2). It was not in the youtube playlist. Instead, listened to the Indopepsychics Remix. Turururuuru-ra! Turururururu-ra!
10. Chaos. More of old-school radio spacey-transmission? Oh, and lyrics. I like this one. A good change of pace from the previous electro-techno.
11. Rabbit In Your Headlights. Don't appreciate a random old geezer blurting nonsense. Kind of a hipster song or something.
12. Untitled: More spacey radio feedback? Meh.

Overall, not bad for ambient electro-techno. But after listening to this once, I really cannot remember much of the songs. Not catchy at all, though not sure if that is a good thing or not in this case.
I give it a 6.5/10.

These were my thoughts exactly on the album. Except I gave it a 7/10.

@thread
A great band is Two Steps From Hell. Great orchestrated music that remind me of epics like Troy and The Elder Scrolls.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!