Forums / Discussion / General

175,122 total conversations in 5,762 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
UK Riots

Last posted Aug 10, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT. Added Aug 08, 2011 at 09:08PM EDT
82 posts from 31 users

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Sees second image

Wow those guys have to be really strong to just throw entire missiles at the police.

missile
noun
°An object intended to be launched into the air at a target.

Apparently that last image I posted was an abbey, several centuries old, being burned to the ground by rioters. Waltham Abbey I was told. But I could be wrong, since I am not the one watching this on the news (being told updates by a Scottish friend).

Yeah, just turned on BBC and saw a building totally enguled in flame.
I also heard there are some mumurs that apperently there are some people trying to organise a riot in Dublin for the 12th, no word on if there is any reason behind it, if its anything to do with the IMF seems abit odd since they have somewhat faded from the limelight in recent times.

There was also apperently a peaceful protest before this, which may of became violent and just snowballed as a riot.

And I am oddly reminded of V for Vendetta.

RainbowWizard wrote:

Yeah, just turned on BBC and saw a building totally enguled in flame.
I also heard there are some mumurs that apperently there are some people trying to organise a riot in Dublin for the 12th, no word on if there is any reason behind it, if its anything to do with the IMF seems abit odd since they have somewhat faded from the limelight in recent times.

There was also apperently a peaceful protest before this, which may of became violent and just snowballed as a riot.

And I am oddly reminded of V for Vendetta.

I’m oddly reminded of the L.A. riots.
what started as a hatred toward the police turned into a free for all shoplifting spree.

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I’m oddly reminded of the L.A. riots.
what started as a hatred toward the police turned into a free for all shoplifting spree.

Just to clarify, I am not comparing these riots to the end of V for Vendetta, where the people are (as we known from reading the book) in the right, it may just be the fact that this has gone down in England.

Edit: further clarification, I don’t actually think you may of misunderstood me, I just noticed myself that it could do with clarification.

Last edited Aug 08, 2011 at 09:50PM EDT

England is awesome, I can’t remember the last time we had riots like this in the states. If people are being hurt, however, this situation could turn messy. I know who we can call.

Last edited Aug 08, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT

RainbowWizard wrote:

Just to clarify, I am not comparing these riots to the end of V for Vendetta, where the people are (as we known from reading the book) in the right, it may just be the fact that this has gone down in England.

Edit: further clarification, I don’t actually think you may of misunderstood me, I just noticed myself that it could do with clarification.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t talkin shit it really does remind me of the L.A. riots. I live not that far from the epicenter and it was pretty scary. People where defending there own businesses from looters up on the roofs with guns. We were scared to go out. Not a fun time.

Fridge wrote:

England is awesome, I can’t remember the last time we had riots like this in the states. If people are being hurt, however, this situation could turn messy. I know who we can call.

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Just to clarify, I wasn’t talkin shit it really does remind me of the L.A. riots. I live not that far from the epicenter and it was pretty scary. People where defending there own businesses from looters up on the roofs with guns. We were scared to go out. Not a fun time.

Request for clarification, do you mean to say I was talking shit?

All I was saying it reminded me fo V for Vendetta, I didn’t mean to offend you with my rather odd recollection.

Anako wrote:

This is really intense. They even bring in the hounds.

“When I saw all the niggers rioting on Tottenham high street I knew I had to find somewhere safe to hide where they wouldn’t go.

I hid in the job centre."
Top comment.

This isn’t anything new. I bet there’s been more riots and revolts in Britain than anywhere else! Oh yeah and some guy’s been found with gunshot wounds. He went to hospital but is now dead. I stayed up last night just to watch it all unfold on BBC. Pretty exciting, but still dead serious.
Some people will just blame the chavs.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 12:02PM EDT

Dinner wrote:

This isn’t anything new. I bet there’s been more riots and revolts in Britain than anywhere else! Oh yeah and some guy’s been found with gunshot wounds. He went to hospital but is now dead. I stayed up last night just to watch it all unfold on BBC. Pretty exciting, but still dead serious.
Some people will just blame the chavs.

dead serious

Pfffftchmfftch…

Dinner wrote:

This isn’t anything new. I bet there’s been more riots and revolts in Britain than anywhere else! Oh yeah and some guy’s been found with gunshot wounds. He went to hospital but is now dead. I stayed up last night just to watch it all unfold on BBC. Pretty exciting, but still dead serious.
Some people will just blame the chavs.

Greece begs to differ.

Know what’s interesting? Many rioters compared themselves to the underpriviledged and downtrodden youths of middle east asian countries. They even wrote a letter to these countries. One man who they wrote to even replied with “I am sorry but you do not loot to object the murder of a young man, you are using his murder.”

The police can’t heavily retaliate, because they’ll be accused of brutality. And these kids call themselves downtrodden…well it was they who chose to skip school and not work to get good grades.

I live in the north east. I just hope things don’t spread up here, and I hope my friends down south are alright.

Some updates:

  • The police force in London will be increased from 6,000 to 16,000 officers tonight.
  • 111 Police and their dogs were injured.
    • 563 people arrested; numbers still climbing.

Source: BBC

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 01:32PM EDT

CjayS wrote:

Know what’s interesting? Many rioters compared themselves to the underpriviledged and downtrodden youths of middle east asian countries. They even wrote a letter to these countries. One man who they wrote to even replied with “I am sorry but you do not loot to object the murder of a young man, you are using his murder.”

The police can’t heavily retaliate, because they’ll be accused of brutality. And these kids call themselves downtrodden…well it was they who chose to skip school and not work to get good grades.

I live in the north east. I just hope things don’t spread up here, and I hope my friends down south are alright.

I live in Wales and I think the police should do something at least, like bring in the TA, or more police from other areas. And to be honest the rioters seem to be acting like immature little kids. I saw one piece of footage that had an injured man being helped up by a rioter, then he practically mugged him. It’s like playground bullying.
Update:
Looting in Salford and Liverpool.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 01:32PM EDT

With 16,000 officers and a chance they’ll start using plastic bullets, things could get bloody tonight. I just hope the rioters have the sense to give up before someone else gets killed. Things are quiet up here in the North-East, and I damn well hope it stays this way.

'lo! You must login or signup first!