Forums / Discussion / General

171,032 total conversations in 5,482 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
UK Riots

Last posted Aug 10, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT. Added Aug 08, 2011 at 09:08PM EDT
82 posts from 31 users

CjayS wrote:

Know what’s interesting? Many rioters compared themselves to the underpriviledged and downtrodden youths of middle east asian countries. They even wrote a letter to these countries. One man who they wrote to even replied with “I am sorry but you do not loot to object the murder of a young man, you are using his murder.”

The police can’t heavily retaliate, because they’ll be accused of brutality. And these kids call themselves downtrodden…well it was they who chose to skip school and not work to get good grades.

I live in the north east. I just hope things don’t spread up here, and I hope my friends down south are alright.

I’m not trying to justify the looting at all (and I’m not trying to start any debates, please), but I mean…

Immature or not, there’s definitely something to be said here.

Aug 09, 2011 at 02:00PM EDT
Quote

Ogreenworld wrote:

I’m not trying to justify the looting at all (and I’m not trying to start any debates, please), but I mean…

Immature or not, there’s definitely something to be said here.

You do have a good point there. Many london areas are like sinkhole estates; it’s very difficult for anyone in certain locations to work for a better life. I think it’s a bit of both worlds really, but majorly spurred on by the example that you posted.

Aug 09, 2011 at 02:18PM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Yeah that sounds about right.

Aug 09, 2011 at 02:50PM EDT
Quote

I’m shocked no one has even mentioned this yet.




It should be the rioters’ theme song.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 02:57PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 02:57PM EDT
Quote

Some girl on radio said that they were showing politicians, rich people and the police that the poor can do what they want.

Aug 09, 2011 at 03:02PM EDT
Quote

Dinner wrote:

Some girl on radio said that they were showing politicians, rich people and the police that the poor can do what they want.

The rioters are using various excuses to why they are still doing this that include “to get their taxes back”, “the police aren’t showing enough respect towards them”, and so on according to BBC TV interviews with the rioters themselves. The second excuse I listed is the most commonly used among the rioters.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 03:18PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 03:16PM EDT
Quote

If you notice in the video that Syndic posted, the rioters eventually pass an unharmed KFC.

Aug 09, 2011 at 03:24PM EDT
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

[photo:159618]

Some men girls just like to watch the world burn.

Aug 09, 2011 at 03:50PM EDT
Quote

First Fatality:
“26-year-old man shot in car in Croydon last night has died in hospital”
-via Twitter / @SkyNewsBreak

I think this has definitely gone far enough.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 04:18PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 04:04PM EDT
Quote

How widely covered is this in USA? And how is it being treated? I went on Fox News.com but all the comments were about guns and Muslims like always. Anyone got a clearer picture?

Aug 09, 2011 at 04:12PM EDT
Quote

Dinner wrote:

How widely covered is this in USA? And how is it being treated? I went on Fox News.com but all the comments were about guns and Muslims like always. Anyone got a clearer picture?

he American news aren’t covering this as much as they should; what’s being covered is the average local or Pakistan and Afghanistan reports. However, the Americans who are tuning in are tuning to BBC’s live video feed or social networking sites.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 04:20PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 04:17PM EDT
Quote

Dinner wrote:

How widely covered is this in USA? And how is it being treated? I went on Fox News.com but all the comments were about guns and Muslims like always. Anyone got a clearer picture?

“I went on Fox News.com but all the comments were about guns and Muslims like always.”

What were you expecting? That’s the ONLY thing they talk about. Expecting them to talk about something else is pants-on-head retarded.

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 04:43PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

“I went on Fox News.com but all the comments were about guns and Muslims like always.”

What were you expecting? That’s the ONLY thing they talk about. Expecting them to talk about something else is pants-on-head retarded.

Going on Fox News.com and flagging as inappropriate 90% of comments is my idea of fun!

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 04:50PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 04:48PM EDT
Quote

^ Expresses my feelings towards this flawlessly.

Aug 09, 2011 at 06:03PM EDT

Dinner wrote:

Going on Fox News.com and flagging as inappropriate 90% of comments is my idea of fun!

I’m on there as derpyhoves

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 06:25PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 06:04PM EDT
Quote

This: http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 09:25PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 09:25PM EDT
Quote

Anako wrote:

The rioters are using various excuses to why they are still doing this that include “to get their taxes back”, “the police aren’t showing enough respect towards them”, and so on according to BBC TV interviews with the rioters themselves. The second excuse I listed is the most commonly used among the rioters.

I wouldn’t exacly call them poor if they’re organising this on their Iphones and Blackberries

Aug 09, 2011 at 10:36PM EDT
Quote

Pirate Arr wrote:

I wouldn’t exacly call them poor if they’re organising this on their Iphones and Blackberries

I’m not saying they were poor; I’m just saying what was said by the rioters themselves on BBC TV.
A female rioter was claiming she was doing this “to get her taxes back.”

Last edited Aug 09, 2011 at 11:11PM EDT
Aug 09, 2011 at 10:59PM EDT
Quote

Anako wrote:

I’m not saying they were poor; I’m just saying what was said by the rioters themselves on BBC TV.
A female rioter was claiming she was doing this “to get her taxes back.”

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person!

Aug 09, 2011 at 11:18PM EDT
Quote

Pirate Arr wrote:

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person!

Ha. That’s fine.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:49AM EDT
Quote

Riots are so pointless. Usually it’s about fighting economy problems, so then the rioters dig themselves deeper.
There’s no point crying over spilt kool-aid.

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:03AM EDT
Quote

some thugs set fire to a car and attacked a police station near my town

shit has become reality

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 01:52PM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 01:51PM EDT
Quote

Three more innocent civilians were shot and killed. It was caught on video by a 13 year old.

Aug 10, 2011 at 04:22PM EDT
Quote

Anako wrote:

Three more innocent civilians were shot and killed. It was caught on video by a 13 year old.

That is correct. Three men were killed in Birmingham. The men were all Pakistani, and one has a pregnant wife. Full report via The Guardian

What a senseless loss.

Aug 10, 2011 at 04:32PM EDT
Quote

RainbowWizard wrote:

Ok, let’s try this again.




No quote coming out of no where this time.

Shit just got real.

Aug 10, 2011 at 07:55PM EDT
Quote

Heyoo! here’s an event entry for the social media coverage of 2011 UK riots: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/2011-united-kingdom-riots

@RedSyndicate, I added you as an editor since you took the initiative to start this thread. Anyone else interested in covering this event: feel free to request editorship and jump in.

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 10:08PM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:07PM EDT
Quote

O HAI! You must login or signup first!