Forums / Discussion / General

168,559 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
Feminazis beware.

Last posted Aug 31, 2011 at 08:59PM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
69 posts from 29 users

You’re not going to like this at all.

http://cavemancircus.com/2011/08/03/25-unapologetically-sexist-ads-from-the-past/

Admittedly, I was amused.

On that note though, what are some of the most sexist advertisements you have ever seen? The more recent, the more internets you win.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

Just because it’s sexy doesn’t mean it’s appropriate.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:04AM EDT
Quote

Make me a sammich too it’s not like you have anything else to do in the kitchen.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:07AM EDT




Aug 10, 2011 at 01:09AM EDT

Red Leader wrote:




I saw the episode this came from {I don’t even remember how or when because I only saw about two episodes of this series}, and they took this scene completely out of context. Still…

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 01:14AM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 01:12AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Whatever. This thread could use a good lock.

I sure could use a good sammich.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:13AM EDT

I’m not sure though…locking it…what would that accomplish?

I’m not trying to be sexist. I just find we’re already at that one point in the future where we can look back at the past and laugh. If it’s too soon, then send me up river. I didn’t come to this site for serious business.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:16AM EDT
Quote

I think it’s funny that Katie is pretending to be a girl.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:17AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Wheatley wrote:

I’m not sure though…locking it…what would that accomplish?

I’m not trying to be sexist. I just find we’re already at that one point in the future where we can look back at the past and laugh. If it’s too soon, then send me up river. I didn’t come to this site for serious business.

It’s never appropriate to laugh over any kind of discrimination.
Are we going to laugh over racist propaganda too? How about anti-gay propaganda? But for some reason, you guys seem to think sexist propaganda is so fucking funny. It’s just as bad, you know.
It’s not funny that there used to be this kind of discrimination. It’s damn sad

Also, if you want a sandwich, make it your damn self.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:23AM EDT
Quote

Katie’s just being butthurt because it’s that time of the month.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:26AM EDT

Is anyone else wondering who the hell keeps a computer in their kitchen?

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:27AM EDT

Shion wrote:

I think it’s funny that Katie is pretending to be a girl.

It’s not up to you to tell me what gender I am.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:30AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

It’s never appropriate to laugh over any kind of discrimination.
Are we going to laugh over racist propaganda too? How about anti-gay propaganda? But for some reason, you guys seem to think sexist propaganda is so fucking funny. It’s just as bad, you know.
It’s not funny that there used to be this kind of discrimination. It’s damn sad

Also, if you want a sandwich, make it your damn self.

I come from a home where boys and girls were treated with the same respect. Then I see things like sexist ads, and I find it funny because it’s just ludicrous to me that people would make these assumptions about women. Then I find out my parents and their parents lived by those stereotypes. Then I find it ironic and funny because it isn’t even a big deal to me or those in my particular part of town and generation, but at the same time I’m aware that it’s wrong and I won’t be caught dead taking the stereotypes seriously. So in turn, I poke fun at it.

Fact of the matter is, where I come from their used to be this kind of discrimination, and it’s not there now. I don’t find the discrimination and the pain it causes funny--I find the fact that it’s ridiculous funny. And the fact that I’m not taking it seriously either means I’m ignorant (nothing new), or that I could or would never believe it to be true.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:37AM EDT
Quote

Am I doing this sexism right, guys?

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:41AM EDT
Quote

Wheatley wrote:

I come from a home where boys and girls were treated with the same respect. Then I see things like sexist ads, and I find it funny because it’s just ludicrous to me that people would make these assumptions about women. Then I find out my parents and their parents lived by those stereotypes. Then I find it ironic and funny because it isn’t even a big deal to me or those in my particular part of town and generation, but at the same time I’m aware that it’s wrong and I won’t be caught dead taking the stereotypes seriously. So in turn, I poke fun at it.

Fact of the matter is, where I come from their used to be this kind of discrimination, and it’s not there now. I don’t find the discrimination and the pain it causes funny--I find the fact that it’s ridiculous funny. And the fact that I’m not taking it seriously either means I’m ignorant (nothing new), or that I could or would never believe it to be true.

Makes sense. It just seems that you were laughing about the sexism and not at the dumbasses.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:46AM EDT
Quote

It’s only offensive to you if you let it be offensive to you. There’s no reason to let it get to you. But if it does, send a complaint letter to the people doing it. I find sexist ads funny, because of how stupid they are. Seriously, some of you guys need to realize that everyone in the world in a small way is prejudice to something. So anyone saying that they’re offended is a hypocrite.

And if you say you aren’t?

Denial is a river in Egypt, and you’re drowning in it.

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 01:52AM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 01:50AM EDT
Quote

I’m not prejudiced in anyway I’m just saying that women need to stay in the kitchen!

&troll;

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 01:54AM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 01:53AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Makes sense. It just seems that you were laughing about the sexism and not at the dumbasses.

Well, I also laugh when I find someone taking something out of context to make it sound sexist/racist/etc. when the original bit was never intended to send that sort of message.

Like the infamous KFC commercial. Though I personally like it played with the Guile Theme because this was my first introduction to that meme aside from the game itself.

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:54AM EDT
Quote

Kalmo wrote:

It’s only offensive to you if you let it be offensive to you. There’s no reason to let it get to you. But if it does, send a complaint letter to the people doing it. I find sexist ads funny, because of how stupid they are. Seriously, some of you guys need to realize that everyone in the world in a small way is prejudice to something. So anyone saying that they’re offended is a hypocrite.

And if you say you aren’t?

Denial is a river in Egypt, and you’re drowning in it.

Things like this facilitate and popularize the problem, so they are part of the problem. Also, people should be malcontent with prejudice. There are many small prejudices in the world, which is unfortunate, but it’s inappropriate to say “That’s fine lol” and not try to fix it. There are times when you just have to say “That’s not good enough”

Aug 10, 2011 at 01:55AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Things like this facilitate and popularize the problem, so they are part of the problem. Also, people should be malcontent with prejudice. There are many small prejudices in the world, which is unfortunate, but it’s inappropriate to say “That’s fine lol” and not try to fix it. There are times when you just have to say “That’s not good enough”

As long as there are different folks around the world, the prejudice isn’t going to just go away no matter how much you try and fight it. And the people who laugh at it? They’re doing no harm or good.

But none of us are exempt. Even now, in another country, someone finds something you’re doing completely offensive and unforgivable. They were raised in a different environment with different ideals, and they thoroughly believe they are just. Nothing you could tell them would change their minds.

As for the people laughing, they laugh because they either know it’s pointless to fight or because it’s in their nature to just shrug things off and do so.

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:03AM EDT
Quote

Yes but there are those that believe that “if you work hard enough, we can remove it entirely”. Wake up. It’s the human race. It’s full of greedy, racist, ignorant, immature people. The only way to have a perfect society is to have one race. But then it would be a prejudice of hair color, or eye color. And then everyone looks the same, and then it’s on voice, and then your sex and then everyone is similar hermaphrodites with the exact same personality.

My point is, no matter how hard you try, there will always be that one person fucking things up for everyone else because of his thoughts on someone else. I’m not saying we shouldn’t try, I’m just saying we can’t make it perfect.

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:05AM EDT
Quote

Kalmo wrote:

Yes but there are those that believe that “if you work hard enough, we can remove it entirely”. Wake up. It’s the human race. It’s full of greedy, racist, ignorant, immature people. The only way to have a perfect society is to have one race. But then it would be a prejudice of hair color, or eye color. And then everyone looks the same, and then it’s on voice, and then your sex and then everyone is similar hermaphrodites with the exact same personality.

My point is, no matter how hard you try, there will always be that one person fucking things up for everyone else because of his thoughts on someone else. I’m not saying we shouldn’t try, I’m just saying we can’t make it perfect.

Yea This Guy
[photo:160005]

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:18AM EDT
Quote

Josh wrote:

Inb4 HOH

HELLO THAR.

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:25AM EDT

Hyperborea Odyssea Hackeron wrote:

HELLO THAR.

By the title, I was expecting you to be the OP of this thread.

Aug 10, 2011 at 02:31AM EDT
Quote

If I were the OP I would have also included things like GLORY and THE NOBLE RACE OF WARRIORS.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:20AM EDT

I have less of a problem with pointing out the ridiculousness of those ads than the word “feminazis,” though I understand the OP’s intention of lightheartedness etc..

In any case, yay Patrick Stewart! He did this ad. Though he does few ads (according to some Redditor who may or may not be full of poo)

Last edited Aug 10, 2011 at 12:37PM EDT
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:32PM EDT
Quote

Discrimination is always funny if it isn’t taken seriously. I love a good discriminatory joke, they’re hilarious.

What’s the difference between a Jew and a pizza? A pizza doesn’t scream when you put it in the oven.
What’s the difference between a black guy and an aspirin? An aspirin works.
What do you call six white guys on a bench? The NBA.
Why don’t women wear watches? There’s a clock on the oven.

These jokes are all funny if not taken seriously. I, frankly, think they’re hilarious, even though I’m part of some of the target groups. I even threw in a white joke for some reverse racism. People need to learn to lighten up.

Aug 10, 2011 at 07:01PM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Things like this facilitate and popularize the problem, so they are part of the problem. Also, people should be malcontent with prejudice. There are many small prejudices in the world, which is unfortunate, but it’s inappropriate to say “That’s fine lol” and not try to fix it. There are times when you just have to say “That’s not good enough”

I think the site linked to and the people in this thread are not a part of the problem, they are just a medium through which the problem is pointed out. A lot of people get easily offended by it, but I’m far from the only person who thinks great strides can be made away from sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. by highlighting the problem and laughing at it. Really that was the premise of that old sitcom “All In The Family” in which the protagonist of the show was a bigoted old man. Many people hated Archie Bunker, but most people got that the show was laughing at bigoted old men rather than with them.

I think there are two things at issue:

First, bigotry in any of its forms should not simply be forgotten. Racism in the United States was so bad in the past that people of African descent were considered livestock. That’s horrible, but our response to that should not be to shove it away in a corner and pretend it didn’t happen (like the recent controversy over editing the word “nigger” out of Huckleberry Finn) but to admit openly that it happened, and that it was wrong. I believe pretending that because slavery was legally abolished over a century ago, it doesn’t matter to us today just allows us to turn a blind eye to the racism that lingers on long after the fact, as well as the different forms of slavery that still exist in this country today.

Secondly, context is important. Just yesterday, my daughters were watching an old episode of “The Jetsons”. I was only partially paying attention to the TV, but I soon realized that the episode they were watching was essentially a half-hour of “Wow, women sure are awful drivers” jokes. Now such jokes are occasionally made in more recent sitcoms, but usually it’s intended to mock this stupid stereotype; it’s clear the writers and producers of “The Jetsons”, while using it for humor, were perfectly serious about the matter, as indeed, every female driver in the episode (with a single exception used for other comedy purposes) was a complete menace to society. Thinking about it later in the day, I realized that I really failed as a parent by not talking to my daughters about the episode, and the outmoded thinking it was presenting. I do know that my daughters have been told by me in all honesty that “Mom is a much better driver than I am,” and I hope that helps, but I worry about it.

tl;dr version: Yes, sexism is a problem, but you should probably lighten up.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:51PM EDT
Quote

tumblrbot wrote:

FOOLS. YOU UNDERESTIMATE TUMBLRBOT.
PETTY MORTALS.

Get back in the kitchen.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:20AM EDT
Quote

Nothings really changed, a good majority of women are still house wives, and still pop pills like a kid in a candy store, but maybe thats because I’ve been in Utah too long, hopefully I’ll think differently in the future.

Last edited Aug 11, 2011 at 01:34AM EDT
Aug 11, 2011 at 01:32AM EDT

Racism has evolved from back in the old days. Luckily it has evolved to be more accepting. I mean, you don’t see people burying Aboriginal babies up to their necks and kicking their heads off do you?

Aug 11, 2011 at 02:46AM EDT
Quote

Kalmo wrote:

Yes but there are those that believe that “if you work hard enough, we can remove it entirely”. Wake up. It’s the human race. It’s full of greedy, racist, ignorant, immature people. The only way to have a perfect society is to have one race. But then it would be a prejudice of hair color, or eye color. And then everyone looks the same, and then it’s on voice, and then your sex and then everyone is similar hermaphrodites with the exact same personality.

My point is, no matter how hard you try, there will always be that one person fucking things up for everyone else because of his thoughts on someone else. I’m not saying we shouldn’t try, I’m just saying we can’t make it perfect.

If to this be added rationalis naturae, we have a definition comprising the five notes that go to make up a person.

Aug 25, 2011 at 05:26PM EDT
Quote

I want a computer in my kitchen!
Why are all these men crowding us out of the kitchen if that’s where we belong? Just turn on the Food Network! Half the shows star men. What are they, sissies? WTH do men know about cooking.

Another problem with women staying in the kitchen, who is going to run the hospitals? Sure, you want women to stay home and work 24 hrs/day for no paycheck. But there aren’t enough male nurses to staff a single unit in any hospital. Imagine Labor & Delivery staffed with all male nurses. Are you going to get a little creeped out wondering if every cervical check is really necessary? Don’t forget sponge bathes, inserting catheters, shave preps, enemas, etc. Do you want a man or a woman when the patient is you, your wife, mother, girl friend, sister, etc? Maybe it doesn’t matter to a few people. But probably not most.
Just saying!
The feminazis probably don’t hold nurses in high esteem either. That is until they actually need one themselves.

Aug 27, 2011 at 09:50AM EDT
Quote

laursaurus smith wrote:

I want a computer in my kitchen!
Why are all these men crowding us out of the kitchen if that’s where we belong? Just turn on the Food Network! Half the shows star men. What are they, sissies? WTH do men know about cooking.

Another problem with women staying in the kitchen, who is going to run the hospitals? Sure, you want women to stay home and work 24 hrs/day for no paycheck. But there aren’t enough male nurses to staff a single unit in any hospital. Imagine Labor & Delivery staffed with all male nurses. Are you going to get a little creeped out wondering if every cervical check is really necessary? Don’t forget sponge bathes, inserting catheters, shave preps, enemas, etc. Do you want a man or a woman when the patient is you, your wife, mother, girl friend, sister, etc? Maybe it doesn’t matter to a few people. But probably not most.
Just saying!
The feminazis probably don’t hold nurses in high esteem either. That is until they actually need one themselves.

Did you join just to post that?

It is a well known fact that all women work in the kitchen. When you see one who isn’t working in a kitchen it is merely a kitchen in disguise. Without so many kitchens everywhere world hunger would be an issue.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:59AM EDT
Quote

SUMMARY: The world should conform to Katie’s opinions:

It does not.

/Thread

Aug 27, 2011 at 01:41PM EDT
Quote

laurasaurus smith posted:

Don’t forget sponge bathes, inserting catheters, shave preps, enemas, etc.

How could I forget?




Aug 27, 2011 at 08:52PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!