Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

New KYM Site Search Options!

Last posted Sep 10, 2011 at 06:49PM EDT. Added Sep 09, 2011 at 02:00PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

Hey KnowYourMemers,

In case you haven't noticed yet, James just pimped out our site search! Now you can get suggestions while you're tying in the search bar & you can also narrow down your search by using custom syntax:

• General search: matches entry names, body text, tags, summaries, etc
  • To search entry names only:
    name:boxxy
  • To search entry names with prefix matching:
    name:box*
  • To search entry names matching a multiple word phrase: (matches names with "racists on")
    name:("racists on")
  • To search by tags only:
    tags:4chan
  • To search by entry status only:
  • To search by entry category only:
    category:person
  • To search by entry status & category:
Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 02:45AM EDT

These are fields you can narrow down your searches on:

Entries:
name
body
status
category
summary
tags

Editorials:
title
body
category
summary
tags

Use double quotes to group words together.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 02:17PM EDT

This sounds neat.

I've got a related question. It might allow for me to actually contribute to the site:
Has it always been the case/Can you now search for individual pictures by tags? I tried to search for individual pictures a while back and was unsuccessful (perhaps because I didn't know how to search.)

If that's the case, I can (slowly) start tagging pictures from my favorite memes so they are easier to find.

It looks like you can no longer search for users by inputting a part of their name. Now you have to type at least a full word from their name for them to come up in the results. I don't think that part is very helpful really but the other changes were much needed.

Verbose wrote:

This sounds neat.

I've got a related question. It might allow for me to actually contribute to the site:
Has it always been the case/Can you now search for individual pictures by tags? I tried to search for individual pictures a while back and was unsuccessful (perhaps because I didn't know how to search.)

If that's the case, I can (slowly) start tagging pictures from my favorite memes so they are easier to find.

You can't search for pictures right now but you'll be able to in the future.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 03:27PM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

It looks like you can no longer search for users by inputting a part of their name. Now you have to type at least a full word from their name for them to come up in the results. I don't think that part is very helpful really but the other changes were much needed.

You can use an asterisk to do prefix matching like "suis*". You can't do suffix matching though.

Also not all users are indexed yet; I'm only about 17% done right now.

What about searching users by alternate name? I may be remembering wrong, but I seem to recall that, for instance, one can find me on a search for "Brucker" even though I'm not currently using that name. I'm not sure I care either way, I'm just curious.

Wow, great feature James. It's really useful, saves a ton of time instead browsing through numerous pages of memes or users. I also love how you can search down to even the tags. When the search function for pictures comes, I hope people will tag pictures more often. I at least try to tag them. Honestly, it may be more work to tag content but it saves time for people trying to search for it.

Last edited Sep 10, 2011 at 06:53PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!