Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Suddenly, snails! Thousands of them!

Last posted Sep 21, 2011 at 12:47PM EDT. Added Sep 20, 2011 at 04:39PM EDT
13 posts from 9 users

"""Back in 1965 we had an introduction that was traced back to an elementary-aged child that had put two of them in his pocket in Hawaii and brought them back to Miami," Gaskalla says. "Seventeen-thousand snails, a million dollars, and ten years, we eradicated them."""

Brucker wrote:

Did I ever mention to anyone here that I was once detained by U.S. Customs on suspicion of snail smuggling? True story. Now I understand what the big deal was.

NPR: Miami Invaded by Giant House-Eating Snails

What did you do to raise the suspicion of snail smuggling to yourself? Did you carry seashells in your baggage or wore suspiciously baggy pants with unsightly slime pouring out of your pockets?

Also, escargots. Yummy!

Holy shit….I LIVE IN MIAMI!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Edit: Seriously, the amount of invasive species in South Florida is absolutely egregious. First it was iguanas, which all froze two winters ago. Then it was pythons, all of which are still slithering around in the everglades somewhere. And now this?! Seriously!?!

I swear to God, I'm done with this shit.

Last edited Sep 20, 2011 at 08:06PM EDT

Hiroman wrote:

What did you do to raise the suspicion of snail smuggling to yourself? Did you carry seashells in your baggage or wore suspiciously baggy pants with unsightly slime pouring out of your pockets?

Also, escargots. Yummy!

It's one of those stories that actually sounds more exciting without being explained.

Back in 1990, I was on a plane coming back from Mexico City. The flight crew handed out little one-page customs forms with a list of things one would need to declare. I looked over the list and noticed that among all sorts of items you would have expected, there was also "snails". Finding this funny, I took the pen that I had been given along with the form and underlined the word "snails". I leaned over to my friend across the aisle and said, "What's the deal with this?" pointing at the form. I marked "No" next to every question, and handed the form in. Later, when my group was going through customs, they pulled me aside and into a little side room, where some very serious men asked me with completely straight faces, "Mr. Brucker, are you attempting to smuggle snails into the U.S.?"

Brucker wrote:

It's one of those stories that actually sounds more exciting without being explained.

Back in 1990, I was on a plane coming back from Mexico City. The flight crew handed out little one-page customs forms with a list of things one would need to declare. I looked over the list and noticed that among all sorts of items you would have expected, there was also "snails". Finding this funny, I took the pen that I had been given along with the form and underlined the word "snails". I leaned over to my friend across the aisle and said, "What's the deal with this?" pointing at the form. I marked "No" next to every question, and handed the form in. Later, when my group was going through customs, they pulled me aside and into a little side room, where some very serious men asked me with completely straight faces, "Mr. Brucker, are you attempting to smuggle snails into the U.S.?"

Obviously they were looking for

Brucker wrote:

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!