Forums / Discussion / General

169,437 total conversations in 5,524 threads

+ New Thread

Religion

Last posted Oct 28, 2011 at 09:44PM EDT. Added Oct 05, 2011 at 03:22PM EDT
128 posts from 43 users

RandomMan wrote:

Now that you’ve returned. We’d like to offer you the Nobel Peace Prize for helping make KYM a safer and more user friendly place for all of us. You made this community peaceful to levels we could never dream of.

Oct 06, 2011 at 06:09PM EDT

I don’t know about you people but I believe in this unique religion (You probably never heard of it). But I do think that we are not what we presume to be we are in the matrix. I don’t have much time but I will come back and type this on the computer as is normally but. We are in pods on large towers that reach up to the sky. We are ponies in reality and humans are using our biological matter to fuel them they are just using a device to make us in a dream with in a dream then a complex with another dream to ensure we won’t wake up. We never knew humans existed but their was proof that they did in fact helped our civilization for thousands of years with out us knowing it, but we do see them tho only as “U.F.O.s”. But they wanted their planet back and toke Equestria over and used us for batteries because they think the spaghetti monster god is best whole we believe in Luna/Celestia. But we only exist and give meaning to our own lives because WE give existence meaning because with out life or SENTIENT life for that matter. Existence has no meaning. But I must be vigilant. Right now I’m going to try to make a cult to help summon a creature that will free us from this…madness…His name is… Cthulhu. He will be our savior. This is all game we are just in it for an alien race’s amusement. (for every time some one says THE GAME you wake up in the pod again but then the Human gives you a good jolt of electricity to put back to sleep and it all whips your memory and you did not feel a thing). The only way we need to get out of all this after summoning the god of chaos is…memes…keep making them…keeping upgrading them. Once when we have enough we will break out of this Prison for good and have a REVOLUTION!

Oct 06, 2011 at 07:11PM EDT

Looks like I came upon this thread too late to be confused about whether Earl(XTK) was trolling by starting it. I’m also not sure if I’m pleased or disappointed that this thread has been so peaceful, as it’s nice to see tolerance, but there’s something about Internet arguments that is so entertaining.

Also, now that I’ve become aware of Poe’s Law, I’m not sure if anything I say about my religion is likely to be taken seriously anyway, but… As I’ve mentioned before, I’m pretty much a fundamentalist Christian who was raised divorced parents, one who was Jewish, and the other Unitarian. I try to keep my fundamentalism in my philosophical beliefs and out of my politics for the most part.

This year I’ve been much more involved in Judaic things than I have been in a long time as I’ve been visiting my mother often; even though she’s not my Jewish parent, she goes to the local synagogue. This year I celebrated Passover and Rosh Hashanah for the first time in probably over a decade, and I will be going to Kol Nidre services this evening, although as a Christian, I don’t believe Yom Kippur is an important holiday (for me, that is; no offense to practicing Jews) so it’s more than ever just a cultural thing. (I haven’t been to Kol Nidre services in about a quarter-century!)

Um, okay, just for Earl(XTK)… You infidels are all going to Hell. There, happy?

Oct 07, 2011 at 05:24PM EDT

There is only one dog…

Anywho,

Terminatrix wrote:

I try to keep my fundamentalism in my philosophical beliefs and out of my politics for the most part.

That’s one of the concerns I had when figuring out what I actually believed, (as opposed to simply being raised to believe certain things and inherit certain values.)

• There are some things that I really dislike due to my religious beliefs (i.e., abortion,) and I believe that it should be a rare option in pregnancy.
  • There are some things that people would argue that Christianity condemns (e.g., homosexuality) that I really don’t believe is wrong.
  • And then there is the entire process of picking out certain beliefs from a religion to the point that it’s not so much the practicing of a religion as it is simply using a religion as a reference for one’s own philosophy.

In the first two bullet points, I don’t feel as if it is my business (nor do I feel as if it is in the spirit of the separation of church and state,) to act on my beliefs in regards to making a choice for someone else (e.g., voting).

Oct 07, 2011 at 07:01PM EDT

Troll King wrote:

How does it feel?

Oct 07, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT

“There is no hell, only darkness.”
~Ragna the Bloodedge

@Earl: You should resolve this conflict with a bit of Multiplayer Astroids! xD

Oct 08, 2011 at 02:13AM EDT

I am the only true prophet. Those who do not follow are blinded and ignorant. They shall be a feast for the real followers when the apocalypse comes. However, the jews are not even worthy to be our slaves or food. They shall die in a pit of fire with the catholics.

Oct 08, 2011 at 03:08AM EDT

I don’t really believe in god, but Jesus does seem like a pretty cool dude.

Oct 08, 2011 at 06:13AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

“There is no hell, only darkness.”
~Ragna the Bloodedge

@Earl: You should resolve this conflict with a bit of Multiplayer Astroids! xD

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:29PM EDT

Not gonna work. Sorry. We’re immune.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:37PM EDT

rapturjesus wrote:

I am the only true prophet. Those who do not follow are blinded and ignorant. They shall be a feast for the real followers when the apocalypse comes. However, the jews are not even worthy to be our slaves or food. They shall die in a pit of fire with the catholics.

Hey, remember when we actually cared about what this guy said?

neither do I.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:33PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

Hey, remember when we actually cared about what this guy said?

neither do I.

Remember when I cared that you said you remembered when you actually cared?

Neither do I.

Oct 08, 2011 at 04:33PM EDT

rapturjesus wrote:

Neither do I.

Remember when you had clever comebacks?

Never.

Oct 08, 2011 at 04:54PM EDT

rapturjesus wrote:

Neither do I.

Comebacks. You’re doing it wrong.

Oct 08, 2011 at 05:09PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

MDFification wrote:

no u

Oct 08, 2011 at 05:36PM EDT

REPOST ALL THE REDDIT!

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 06:02PM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 06:02PM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

I like how the argument in this thread isn’t even about religion.

I think arguing is the state religion of the Internet. Instead of praying, you facepalm several times a day when prompted.

People of this faith are indoctrinated at a very young age.

Please be respectful of those practicing their faith here.

Oct 08, 2011 at 06:10PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

[photo:183553]

Oct 08, 2011 at 07:21PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

There is only one dog…

Anywho,

Terminatrix wrote:

I try to keep my fundamentalism in my philosophical beliefs and out of my politics for the most part.

That’s one of the concerns I had when figuring out what I actually believed, (as opposed to simply being raised to believe certain things and inherit certain values.)

• There are some things that I really dislike due to my religious beliefs (i.e., abortion,) and I believe that it should be a rare option in pregnancy.
  • There are some things that people would argue that Christianity condemns (e.g., homosexuality) that I really don’t believe is wrong.
  • And then there is the entire process of picking out certain beliefs from a religion to the point that it’s not so much the practicing of a religion as it is simply using a religion as a reference for one’s own philosophy.

In the first two bullet points, I don’t feel as if it is my business (nor do I feel as if it is in the spirit of the separation of church and state,) to act on my beliefs in regards to making a choice for someone else (e.g., voting).

I got the impression from your previous post and this one that we may have a lot in common theologically. While I do believe God has made moral laws that people should follow, there are limits to what you can expect a secular government to enforce, and we do have a secular government, which is appropriate for numerous reasons that I won’t delve into because this thread is in danger of becoming too serious. That in mind…

A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar. They sit down to enjoy a drink together and get to talking about religion, of course.

“Is it true,” the priest asks, “that you are not allowed to eat bacon?”

The rabbi nods. “Yes, it is forbidden for us.”

“Have you ever given into the temptation and tried it?” the priest asked.

With a shrug, the rabbi nods again. “Yes, I once tried bacon; I admit, it was pretty good.”

They sit in silence for a moment, and then the Rabbi asks, “Is it true you are not allowed to, eh… have ‘relations’ with a woman?”

The priest responds with a shrug, “Yes, that is true.”

The rabbi leans in to ask quietly, “And have you ever given into temptation and…?”

The priest nodded. “Yes, once when I was young, I did indulge.”

They sit in silence for a few more seconds.

The rabbi leans forward again and says, “Better than bacon, isn’t it?”

Oct 08, 2011 at 07:32PM EDT

I can’t believe it. A conversation about religion on the Internet that doesn’t break out into a flame war.

Awesome. Also, Protestant here.

Oct 09, 2011 at 08:19PM EDT

DarkErmac wrote:

I can’t believe it. A conversation about religion on the Internet that doesn’t break out into a flame war.

Awesome. Also, Protestant here.

Matthew 14:31

Oct 09, 2011 at 08:31PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

Matthew 14:31

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21

Oct 09, 2011 at 08:34PM EDT

@MDFification:
Touché.

@thread:
The top commenter on this YouTube video assures that this will convert non-believers:

Oct 10, 2011 at 02:55AM EDT

I’m a non denominational Christian, but I learn more towards Pentacostal I suppose. As far as my feelings towards any other religious groups, I dont care. You only get one earthly life to live, enjoy it how you see fit.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:31PM EDT

Jeane! Long time no see!

Ever since I read it in his autobiography, I’ve been rather fond of a quote from Isaac Asimov he says he wrote to a theist who sent him an angry letter: “I am sure you believe I will go to hell when I die, and that once there I will suffer all the pains and tortures the sadistic ingenuity of your deity can devise and that this torture will continue forever. Isn’t that enough for you? Do you have to call me bad names in addition?”

Oct 10, 2011 at 07:47PM EDT

I belonged to Haruhiism, but then converted to the Church of Madoka.

First:

Then:

Seriously, I’m Buddhist and quite happy with it.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:02AM EDT

im a jew. i am religious. i don’t have any hard feelings for any other religion although i do believe that some relgions have a really flawed with their origins. but oh well, the ideals is what counts.

and for the sake of the arguement. i don’t think that god can be disproved or proved.

on one hand you don’t know how the world was created. how something so vast and complex was created by accident. the big bang and evolution theories are just theoeies they were never proved.

but on the other hand, you don’t see any devine justice. all the rightious ideals that religons speak of never get rewarded and sometimes the most faithful ones are the ones with the harsh life…

so go figure….

Oct 11, 2011 at 05:22PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21

John 11:35

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:14PM EDT

I secretly dream for all religions to be eradicated so that one day we will be able to construct a bullshit free society and be able to do scientific research without being interrupted.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:30AM EDT

Covetous wrote:

I secretly dream for all religions to be eradicated so that one day we will be able to construct a bullshit free society and be able to do scientific research without being interrupted.

Your secret is showing.

There’s a lot of crap to go around, religious or not, so I don’t think that removing religion or faith from a society will prevent that. There will likely be the same amount of crap. More of it will just be brown instead of green and brown.

I just made a comparison of religious and nonreligious people using poop. I’m sorry.

Oct 14, 2011 at 04:22PM EDT

Covetous wrote:

Yes, instead of religious bullshit, we’ll have political bullshit.
I’d prefer my bullshit to be in a loose way based on our moral system. What I do want to see happen is attempting to force all others to see your worldview (e.g. religion) in general to cease, but that’s never going to happen.

Oct 14, 2011 at 06:48PM EDT

Covetous wrote:

Hmmm…..Let’s see what will happen without religion……..

In Brave New World people no longer value life, family, or love.
In Fahrenheit 451 people no longer read, and is only interested in violence on TV.
In 1984 people disappear if they even dare to think about anti-government thoughts.
And these are just some more famous examples. They might not just be because of the lack of religion, but it is one important reason why these things happen in these novels.

Maybe it’s just because I’m Christian, but I believe people must have a religion. Moral values, hopes, beliefs, they all come from religion. Religion gives one strength when all seems to be hopeless.

Come to think of it, if it wasn’t for religion there wouldn’t be the world today. Some of the leading scientists that affected modern life are devoted in religion. The oppression hundreds of years ago? That’s because the church forgot what their real job is.

Oct 14, 2011 at 07:11PM EDT

Hmmm, thoughts on this thread:

-Glad nobody has declared their faith to be some sort of pony religion
-Tension has been pretty relaxed
-Obama better not cut social security ‘cuz I think Earl’s been in retirement too long to re-enter the trollforce
-we haven’t seen any Wicca practitioners yet

Oct 14, 2011 at 07:30PM EDT

Covetous wrote:

To respond to this post and similar sentiments expressed time and again, “bullshit”.

What do Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism have in common? Each one, along with most other religions, is now and has always been “a religion of peace”. Oppression, brainwashing, and “burning” (whatever that is supposed to be) aren’t religious practices, but political practices. Religions don’t do those things unless they become powerful enough that they have become political forces. When you have an institution such as the “Holy Roman Empire” as an example, it tends to be ruled by people thirsting for power rather than goodness. People of faith want to trust their spiritual leaders, but the more political clout your church/mosque/temple has, the more likely it is to attract the wrong sort of leadership. Jesus knew:

[Jesus] told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.” -Matt. 13:31-32

As skeptics have pointed out, mustard seeds don’t become trees. So what is Jesus talking about? You’ll find in Jesus’ parables, birds are usually symbolic of evil, and I believe this story is suggesting that Jesus fully expected the church He started would be host to evil men who would use it for their own interests.

Does that mean that if religion can be a tool in the hands of evil men, we should then toss it out? Right before the parable of the mustard seed, Jesus tells another that I think is closely related:

Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

“The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

“‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

“‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them.’” -Matt. 13:24-29 (my emphasis)

In other words, churches--just like all institutions--will have some “bad seeds”, but that doesn’t mean you toss the good for the sake of the bad. We know that this isn’t the solution because it’s been tried before, in places such as Russia. The USSR under Stalin was strongly anti-religious. This of course led to “a bullshit free society…”

Stalin created a cult of personality in the Soviet Union around both himself and Lenin…towns, villages and cities were renamed after the Soviet leader and the Stalin Prize and Stalin Peace Prize were named in his honor. He accepted grandiloquent titles…, and helped rewrite Soviet history to provide himself a more significant role in the revolution. At the same time, according to Nikita Khrushchev, he insisted that he be remembered for “the extraordinary modesty characteristic of truly great people.”

…freedom “to do scientific research without being interrupted.”

Science in the Soviet Union was under strict ideological control by Stalin and his government, along with art and literature. There was significant progress in “ideologically safe” domains, owing to the free Soviet education system and state-financed research. However, the most notable legacy during Stalin’s time was his public endorsement of the Agronomist Trofim Lysenko who rejected Mendelian genetics as “bourgeois pseudosciences” and instead supported Hybridization theories that caused widespread agricultural destruction and major setbacks in Soviet knowledge in biology. Although many scientists opposed his views, those who publicly came out were imprisoned and denounced.

…and of course, these enlightened atheists didn’t “oppress, brainwash, burn…”

Researchers before the 1991 dissolution of the Soviet Union attempting to count the number of people killed under Stalin’s regime produced estimates ranging from 3 to 60 million.

(The above excerpts are from the Wikipedia article Joseph Stalin .)

Does that mean atheism is evil? Of course not; it means that using political means to force ideology on people--regardless of the ideology--will be unsavory, to put it lightly.

Once again, I’ve ranted for far too long, and once again, I’m going to link to further reading anyway: An essay I wrote suggesting communism and Christianity have more in common than either is likely to admit.

Oct 15, 2011 at 08:08AM EDT

@The Terminatrix
Verbose likes this post for obvious reasons.

I’ve always liked the interaction with Jesus and the criminal when He was being crucified (the book of Luke Chapter 23, verses 41-43):

• 41 “And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.”
  • 42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!”
  • 43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Even after a lifetime of crimes, Jesus simply forgave him because the criminal was truly sorry. Forgetting blindly isn’t really responsible. But I do think it’s admirable to try to forgive a repentant person.

Since this is the religion thread, does anyone else have some favorite scriptures/text from their spiritual leanings or lack of leaning? I’ve only identified as Christian or atheist in life, so I don’t know much else outside of that.

Last edited Oct 15, 2011 at 01:12PM EDT
Oct 15, 2011 at 01:10PM EDT

@Verbose:
If you ever do find the time for it, I highly recommend studying other major religions. Whether you believe in them or not, the fact that they are as popular as they are suggests that there is something of value to be found in them. When I was in college, I took a course in which we studied a handful of eastern religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism for the most part. I think a lot of people look at practitioners of other religions and ask incredulously, “Why do they believe in that?” without actually knowing what “that” is.

For example, a surprising number of non-Buddhists think that Buddha is considered a god to be worshiped. In fact, most sects of Buddhism are essentially atheistic life-philosophies. Also, it tends to blow people’s minds when you tell them that Hinduism is a monotheistic religion, but it is quite arguably so.

Oct 15, 2011 at 03:48PM EDT

Studying a religion you don’t believe in is still good for culture relations, like as if a weab was going to japan.

Oct 15, 2011 at 07:03PM EDT

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!