Forums / General

191,404 total conversations in 5,250 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General 2.0

Last posted Nov 01, 2011 at 07:44PM EDT. Added Oct 06, 2011 at 09:41PM EDT
9,966 conversations with 88 participants

Leland Zevo wrote:

I know, I just think it’s funny that we’re minding our own business in our thread, and from what I’ve seen, we’ve been pretty good about keeping the pictures in here and not in the other threads like he’s mentioning.

Ah well.

Well, rapturjesus is a bit of a troll on the site anyway. I’ve seen other comments from him, and you can tell from his profile data. Pretty much anything he says is meant to enrage. I think of it as an honor for him to visit us.

Anyway, to the Net! Ponified memes are everywhere and I must catch them all to become the best like no one ever was! Blue and his Lol, Internet! car with filled with over 9,000 women won’t stop me! Come on, Derpy!!


 
…Wait, this isn’t Indigo Plateau.

EDIT: HOW DO I ALWAYS END UP FIRST ON A NEW PAGE I DON’T EVEN TRY.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 12:15AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 12:14AM EDT
Quote

I’m back…after watching some baseball and watching the Phillies go down.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:16AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Well, rapturjesus is a bit of a troll on the site anyway. I’ve seen other comments from him, and you can tell from his profile data. Pretty much anything he says is meant to enrage. I think of it as an honor for him to visit us.

Anyway, to the Net! Ponified memes are everywhere and I must catch them all to become the best like no one ever was! Blue and his Lol, Internet! car with filled with over 9,000 women won’t stop me! Come on, Derpy!!


 
…Wait, this isn’t Indigo Plateau.

EDIT: HOW DO I ALWAYS END UP FIRST ON A NEW PAGE I DON’T EVEN TRY.

Magic, also, Derpy best to watch out and not pull a James and kick that Magikarp, lest it evolve into a Gyarados.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:17AM EDT
Quote

Leland Zevo wrote:

That is hilarious. Also, sorry for not being as active tonight as I usually am, I was playing WWE Shut Your Mouth, you know, when the Smackdown games were actually good.

Know that feel. I started playing Splatterhouse today.
It’s weird cause all that blood and gore gave deep inside me the wish for some
>_>
< _<
cupcakes…

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 12:18AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 12:17AM EDT
Quote

playing TF2
angry because I can’t get any points due to Egypt being an awful map
ragequit
ponies
anger subsides
happiness

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:18AM EDT
Quote

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Know that feel. I started playing Splatterhouse today.
It’s weird cause all that blood and gore gave deep inside me the wish for some
>_>
< _<
cupcakes…

You forgot the fisting of giant mechanical apes’ as- I think I’ve said too much.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

playing TF2
angry because I can’t get any points due to Egypt being an awful map
ragequit
ponies
anger subsides
happiness

Ponies are the cure for sadness.

Trufax.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:20AM EDT
Quote

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Ponies are the cure for sadness.

Trufax.

And you can never have too many ponies.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:22AM EDT
Quote

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Know that feel. I started playing Splatterhouse today.
It’s weird cause all that blood and gore gave deep inside me the wish for some
>_>
< _<
cupcakes…

That being posted, I think I better head off as well. See you all later!

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 12:25AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

@Blue Yoshi: There is a point where you will have too much pony, but that point has not been reached yet. (The one video with every episode of Season 1 at once came close, though).

@Tesla: Night. Sweet pony dreams ‘n’ all that.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:24AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

playing TF2
angry because I can’t get any points due to Egypt being an awful map
ragequit
ponies
anger subsides
happiness

Try BF3. With glitches. And the subsequent glitchers. With stupid teammates. That don’t know how to spot. Or how to throw boxes of teamwork goodies (ie medkits and ammo boxes). Or how to get out of the way. Or how to PUT DOWN SUPPRESSING FIRE!! D:<

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

Sparty the Spaceship wrote:

Ponies are the cure for sadness.

Trufax.

Obviously, very much so. Dunno if you’ve ever played TF2, but anyone who has will know of the huge amounts of rage Egypt will generally cause.
Only ponies could make me un-rage so soon.

badsitrep wrote:

Try BF3. With glitches. And the subsequent glitchers. With stupid teammates. That don’t know how to spot. Or how to throw boxes of teamwork goodies (ie medkits and ammo boxes). Or how to get out of the way. Or how to PUT DOWN SUPPRESSING FIRE!! D:>

I have. Egypt is worse than that.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 12:26AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Obviously, very much so. Dunno if you’ve ever played TF2, but anyone who has will know of the huge amounts of rage Egypt will generally cause.
Only ponies could make me un-rage so soon.

badsitrep wrote:

Try BF3. With glitches. And the subsequent glitchers. With stupid teammates. That don’t know how to spot. Or how to throw boxes of teamwork goodies (ie medkits and ammo boxes). Or how to get out of the way. Or how to PUT DOWN SUPPRESSING FIRE!! D:>

I have. Egypt is worse than that.

Barely played TF2. I’m still a fan of it, though, because of the sheer wackiness. It’s like the classic first person shooter had a baby with a cartoon TV show like Friendship is Magic. And then that baby grew up playing RPGs, and became an accomplished hat-maker.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:27AM EDT
Quote

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

I think I’ll go now too.
But as usual, have some cute

D’awwwwwwww.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:32AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

playing TF2
angry because I can’t get any points due to Egypt being an awful map
ragequit
ponies
anger subsides
happiness

I’m currently downloading TF2. It’s taking a bloody long time doing so. Curse my slow connection time.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:35AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Alright guys, going to sleep now. Have a nice night and stuffs.

’Nite Cite.

(LAWL RHYME)

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:51AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

I think your last sentence is part of the reason. Most people can agree upon what is sad: someone dies or gets sick, dreams are unfulfilled, loss…stuff like that. It’s harder to get people to laugh or smile, because I think humor is a little more cultural and based upon experience and values. The values that sad literature gets at are universally understood.

I also think that it’s easier to make a lasting impression on a reader by defaulting to sad. The fanfiction I normally read and like most are sad, because I’ve already made a connection to the characters, and I’m more likely to be engaged in the story that way. I don’t really expect people to make fanfics that are cute or really funny (because of the reason given in your last sentence,) but I know people can make things sad.

I’ll use myself as an example. I don’t favorite or save many macros or images that are sad, but the fics and some of the comics are usually sad. Not that I want bad things to happen to the mane 6, but I want to read something that makes me feel for the characters.

Then again, it may just be a need to balance out what the show is. They could be latent expectations of life fulfilled through fanfiction.
/sigmundfreud

As for why so many Bronies want to put the FiM characters specifically in dire situations…outside of anything Freudian, I’ve got no clue.


Man, I type a lot.

Goddangit! How come every time I leave for a few hours then all the interesting stuff happens?

Freudian or not I think you’re right about the reasoning, I guess there’s multiple factors when it comes to the more bizarre tendencies of this here fandom. One of the big ones in my opinion being that many bronies have a hard time accepting the fact that what the fandom is based on what is unarguably a cartoon. Their more used to the sex, violence and otherwise mature content of the media and they feel they have to project it onto MLP to feel like it’s relevant to their lives.

But the “humor is relative” idea doesn’t really hold up for me, because there’s already a standard when it comes to humor that we can all agree on. That being the show itself, if we didn’t all think the show was funny we wouldn’t all like it.

I personally can’t stand the level of drama the majority of these fan works exhibit, not that I don’t like drama, it’s just a matter of juxtaposition. They’re like soap operas, so full of constant sadness and drama that it’s impossible to take seriously.

Besides, isn’t the real world sad enough? Why do we have to go and make our escapism just as depressing? Fiction is the only place where you can guarantee a happy resolution, and you’d be a fool to pass it up.

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:54AM EDT
Quote

Everypony’s leaving already? But it’s a Friday!

I’ll just play TF2 for awhile then go to bed. Have happy ponyful dreams everypony!

Oct 08, 2011 at 12:55AM EDT
Quote

My birthday is on Sunday guys! :D I think I’m going to tell my mom I’m sick of all the ponies and I’ll watch an episode to wee what all the fuss is about. Then she won’t be too upset over it and then Sunday will be the best birthday ever, because I don’t have to hide anything :D
That, and I already have some of my presents, including this epicly fast i7 processor laptop, which is basically a desktop that’s portable >_> But this has been an epic week, and I can finally get back to you guys. It’s so hard to catch up, but when I do I can go on forever, it never gets boring.
I’ll see you all later.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:07AM EDT
Quote

Ok, follow-up question, how come every time I get a chance to participate in said interesting stuff everyone leaves. >:(

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:14AM EDT
Quote

I was originally gonna propose a vote for best shipping with a pic for each one. Then I realized that there are thousands of permutations of shipping…

So now I’ll just leave these here.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:15AM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

That being the show itself…

Yeeeeeaaah. You got me there. It’s pretty obvious that we’re a part of our own subculture with our own understandings and values. And if not the cultural explanation of Bronydom, we all create the fan material based on the same show.

Well, I think you might like this (if you haven’t seen it already.) This comic is something that I could see in the show (if they focused on background characters,) and at least, it is in the spirit of the show. It incorporates the aspects I like most about FiM: cute artwork, a decent story, and humor.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote

Steve the Scout wrote:

My birthday is on Sunday guys! :D I think I’m going to tell my mom I’m sick of all the ponies and I’ll watch an episode to wee what all the fuss is about. Then she won’t be too upset over it and then Sunday will be the best birthday ever, because I don’t have to hide anything :D
That, and I already have some of my presents, including this epicly fast i7 processor laptop, which is basically a desktop that’s portable >_> But this has been an epic week, and I can finally get back to you guys. It’s so hard to catch up, but when I do I can go on forever, it never gets boring.
I’ll see you all later.

I remember when you first got here… to this site and forum (although it was on the main page at that time, I believe)… This is a good proof of concept that nopony can escape the magic of friendship. I just nostalgia’d everywhere. I just love you all so much!
Let the ponies reign!!!

This is the most cutest thing ever.

Goodnight fo’ realz nao everypony!

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:20AM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Gigatoast wrote:

That being the show itself…

Yeeeeeaaah. You got me there. It’s pretty obvious that we’re a part of our own subculture with our own understandings and values. And if not the cultural explanation of Bronydom, we all create the fan material based on the same show.

Well, I think you might like this (if you haven’t seen it already.) This comic is something that I could see in the show (if they focused on background characters,) and at least, it is in the spirit of the show. It incorporates the aspects I like most about FiM: cute artwork, a decent story, and humor.

Oh yeh, I LOVE that comic! In fact that’s the comic that inspired me to start drawing ponies in the first place, so you’re dead-on there.

I wish we could see more stuff like that come out of the fandom.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 01:25AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 01:25AM EDT
Quote

I’m not sure if anyone noticed this, but mylittlefacewhen.com has some new pics and gifs uploaded there.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:33AM EDT
Quote

I lied. I’ll go to bed after this.
I found the guy who does the North Star Dwells comics (the series still isn’t finished I think) and he also does all the good morning characters. (Also did some french maid drawings.) He’s a pretty good artist.

Here is his page on dA.

(Beware of furry porn on the earlier pages! as well as anthro R34 and excessive plot)

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 01:39AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 01:35AM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Oh yeh, I LOVE that comic! In fact that’s the comic that inspired me to start drawing ponies in the first place, so you’re dead-on there.

I wish we could see more stuff like that come out of the fandom.

It’s a classic. I’ve been told that this is the origin of “I emptied your fridge.”

As for more things like this coming from the fandom, that may be based on what we see from the second season. If we truly are sadists at heart, then the sad content probably won’t change no matter what airs. If we are simply trying to balance the cute to reduce personal cognitive dissonance, then bits of light nightmare fuel and particularly antagonistic interactions from the second season (e.g., the balloon garden, Flutterbrute) should temper that tendency.

I think I just developed the methods section of a social psych experience with two competing hypotheses.
 
 
As for my own personal “finding any ponified meme as defined by KYM,” I really thought that “Daft Hands” couldn’t have been ponified. Ponies don’t even have hands.
 

 
Doesn’t matter.

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:37AM EDT
Quote

Caramel wrote:

I lied. I’ll go to bed after this.
I found the guy who does the North Star Dwells comics (the series still isn’t finished I think) and he also does all the good morning characters. (Also did some french maid drawings.) He’s a pretty good artist.

Here is his page on dA.

(Beware of furry porn on the earlier pages! as well as anthro R34 and excessive plot)

That dude was just on the “Bronyville” podcast, funny he didn’t mention the R34 stuff. I guess that’s not something you say on live radio. (or a podcast, whatever, same thing)

Oct 08, 2011 at 01:46AM EDT
Quote

Can you find a recorded version of the Bronyville podcast?I always miss it.

Oct 08, 2011 at 04:42AM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Oh yeh, I LOVE that comic! In fact that’s the comic that inspired me to start drawing ponies in the first place, so you’re dead-on there.

I wish we could see more stuff like that come out of the fandom.

One of the Fluttershy tumblrs is very cute and stays quite in character:

http://askumfluttershy.tumblr.com/

Why are so many pony tumblrs R34 and gore?

Oct 08, 2011 at 07:01AM EDT
Quote

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/280/f/6/flash___luna_in_a_box_by_lentoto-d4c56w9.swf
Welp, there’s the daily fill of sadness… but something has garnered my attention. I swear I’ve heard that music before (from a video game I believe), but I forget what it was. I need some help figuring it out. If someone could also tell me how to put links into words for future reference then that would be good.

Edit: Well I’ve figured out the song. It’s the bloody love theme from Final Fantasy IV. That had me stumped for a few hours now.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 08:16AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 08:10AM EDT
Quote

makoncrayley wrote:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/280/f/6/flash___luna_in_a_box_by_lentoto-d4c56w9.swf
Welp, there’s the daily fill of sadness… but something has garnered my attention. I swear I’ve heard that music before (from a video game I believe), but I forget what it was. I need some help figuring it out. If someone could also tell me how to put links into words for future reference then that would be good.

Edit: Well I’ve figured out the song. It’s the bloody love theme from Final Fantasy IV. That had me stumped for a few hours now.

Hell, I’m still trying to figure out the song at 5:21 here.

Oct 08, 2011 at 08:33AM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

One of the Fluttershy tumblrs is very cute and stays quite in character:

http://askumfluttershy.tumblr.com/

Why are so many pony tumblrs R34 and gore?

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:02AM EDT
Quote

Hi guys.
Let’s see what’s on Ponycha-
Crap.
Someone finally posted a review of Blitz.
I’m frightened to read it.

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:11AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Hi guys.
Let’s see what’s on Ponycha-
Crap.
Someone finally posted a review of Blitz.
I’m frightened to read it.

Don’t be. If it’s a good review, then you’re doing something right. I haven’t gotton squat for Flare.
If it’s a bad review, who cares. It’s Ponychan

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 10:16AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 10:15AM EDT
Quote

Record19 wrote:

Don’t be. If it’s a good review, then you’re doing something right. I haven’t gotton squat for Flare.
If it’s a bad review, who cares. It’s Ponychan

…that’s kinda contradictory right there.
You just said if it’s a good review, then that means I’m doing good.
But if it’s bad, you said to not care because of the site.

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:16AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

…that’s kinda contradictory right there.
You just said if it’s a good review, then that means I’m doing good.
But if it’s bad, you said to not care because of the site.

I mean that if someone goes out of their way to post a HATING review, to not care or feel bad.
IDK my brain isn’t working right this morning, I can’t think straight

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 10:23AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 10:21AM EDT
Quote

Record19 wrote:

I mean that if someone goes out of their way to post a HATING review, to not care or feel bad.
IDK my brain isn’t working right this morning, I can’t think straight

Blerg, either way, it’s not helping calm my nerves.
And from what little I saw, it’s not a hater review. It’s a well thought out one.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 10:25AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 10:22AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Blerg, either way, it’s not helping calm my nerves.
And from what little I saw, it’s not a hater review. It’s a well thought out one.

Here

This usually does the trick for me, in fact,
I think I’m gonna go over to the war and try to make peace.
Yeah, I think I’ll try that…

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:32AM EDT
Quote

@Karnage
Didn’t help.
Must calm frayed nerves, then read review…
Let’s see here… I need cute.
To egophiliac’s deviantART!

No, not even Dread Pirate Woona’s helping.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 10:43AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 10:35AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

@Karnage
Didn’t help.
Must calm frayed nerves, then read review…
Let’s see here… I need cute.
To egophiliac’s deviantART!

No, not even Dread Pirate Woona’s helping.

I think you may need some funny randomness.

and here’s
it’s the other PMV of it, I don’t know which one is considered better.

Last edited Oct 08, 2011 at 10:47AM EDT
Oct 08, 2011 at 10:47AM EDT
Quote

@Karnage
Weird Al?
Yeah, that’s not gonna help in the slightest.
Still scared.

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:50AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

@Karnage
Didn’t help.
Must calm frayed nerves, then read review…
Let’s see here… I need cute.
To egophiliac’s deviantART!

No, not even Dread Pirate Woona’s helping.

Hold on, everyone. I got this. I didn’t go to Air Force training for nothing.
Rolls up sleeves
Alright, lets do dis.
SLAP
Citation, WHAT IN THE CHROMATIC SCALE HAIR OF CELESTIA ARE YOU THINKING?
I’ve had to read to Hemingway, Hawthorne, Homer, and Poe. I’ve reviewed the mindf*ck that is “A Farewell to Arms”. I’ve had to decipher the symbolism of Tolkien. I’ve seen bad stories and good stories, and yours certainly does not fall within the former.

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:52AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

@Karnage
Weird Al?
Yeah, that’s not gonna help in the slightest.
Still scared.



Well, then the only thing you can do is to get over your fear, and
read
it

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:54AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Hi guys.
Let’s see what’s on Ponycha-
Crap.
Someone finally posted a review of Blitz.
I’m frightened to read it.

Oct 08, 2011 at 10:54AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!