Forums / Discussion / General

168,632 total conversations in 5,402 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Homestuck General

Last posted Jun 13, 2014 at 07:20AM EDT. Added Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15AM EDT
1757 posts from 91 users

I know what the tricksters are, but I have to say that this is the most random thing that has happened in the series so far…

I LIKE IT~

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:45AM EST

Oh lawd.
She’s going to Jake.
She’s gonna make him lick her lollipop.

On a side note:

Something just occured to me…
The cherubs looked alot like Cal when turned into tricksters…
Cal liope and Cal iborn

On a 2nd side note:

The green castle in the bacground is the same as the castle where the Demimonde Semigoddess lives in Problem Sleuth

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 07:02PM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 06:47PM EST

DAT WEB DESIGN! The MSPA website now looks like someones horribly executed profile mod!

Also who spent minutes of their time just clicking the scrolling marquee buttons at the top?

Pardon me, I’m off to click them again.

honkbeepsqueakmeowhonkmeowwheehonkwhizzbeephonkmeow

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 07:37PM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 07:36PM EST

Megalolzors wrote:

Oh lawd.
She’s going to Jake.

On a side note:

Cal liope and Cal iborn

On a 2nd side note:

The green castle in the bacground is the same as the castle where the Demimonde Semigoddess lives in Problem Sleuth

Watch Lil Cal be Lord English this whole time and Caliborn is just a pawn.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:09PM EST

White Devil just kicked the page off the cliff.

Jan 12, 2013 at 09:57AM EST

Notice how Jake is glowing.

Did a kick in the balls trigger his trickster mode?

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:17AM EST

Guys, can I ask that we don’t just post Images from the update.

I mean if someone hasn’t seen it, it’s a spoiler, and if they have, they’ve seen them why do they need it here. The images are awful big to just post like that.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:37AM EST

But people should read the update then come here, not the other way around, also, I don’t mind the images.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:59AM EST

Omomon wrote:

But people should read the update then come here, not the other way around, also, I don’t mind the images.

You cannot magically know when an update appears, and visiting this thread before being aware of it spoils it for people. Expecting of them to not visit the thread if they’re not 100% up to date about the webcomic doesn’t justify that you’re being ignorant.

Not posting about updates for 24 hours is an impossible task, people don’t have that dignity, so just use spoilers in that case.

<div class="spoiler">

Herpaderp

</div>

Last edited Jan 12, 2013 at 01:29PM EST
Jan 12, 2013 at 01:28PM EST

Omomon wrote:

I do mind the images. They’re all Gifs, and they cause my browser to slow significantly.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:35PM EST

Megalolzors wrote:

Oh lawd.
She’s going to Jake.

On a side note:

Cal liope and Cal iborn

On a 2nd side note:

Did you really just notice the connection between the cherubs and Lil Cal?

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:00PM EST

Aww man, he changed it to

to put an end to the whole “white” controversy.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:25PM EST

professorcheese wrote:

The fact that Gamzee is freaked out by all of this makes it all the better.

As well as a bit unsettling.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:28PM EST

Guys why are there fanart pics of Trickster Jake if there’s not an update of him?

Is my computer not working?

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:47PM EST

@Teh Brawler
Did you not see the most recent update?

What do you think my “IT DOES SPREAD BY CONTACT” post was all about?

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:49PM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

Guys why are there fanart pics of Trickster Jake if there’s not an update of him?

Is my computer not working?

Right click. Zoom in.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:50PM EST

madcat wrote:

Right click. Zoom in.

I did that, and I have no problem with the idea that it’s Jake. But the similarity of all the fan art leads me to believe we have a legit view of what Trickster Jake looks like, and I’m wondering if my cache is being stupid.

EDIT: OH DERP YOU HAVE TO KEEP CLICKING

Last edited Jan 13, 2013 at 06:00PM EST
Jan 13, 2013 at 05:58PM EST

@Teh Brawler

You clearly did not click enough. Click the flash enough times and you’ll see what I mean by it spreading by contact.

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:59PM EST

I kinda find it funny seeing how there are people still complaining about Hussie changing the update.

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:43PM EST

Poor Erisolsprite, lol.

Anyways, I’m pretty sure I saw a girl with a Sollux shirt at work last night (I work in a grocery store). At first I thought it might just be a Gemini, but then I realized, how many Gemini shirts are colored #A1A100?

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:43AM EST

Regarding the “race drama”: Why The Homestuck Update Was Racist

I actually think Hussie changing the page was a good move, especially since the ones doing a majority of the harassing of other fans during that update were of the “LOL TAKE THAT SJ WARRIORS LOL” variety.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:18PM EST

Welp. THEY ARE RECREATING HUMANITY GUY’S, DIRKS GONNA FLIP A BITCH AND ROXY’S GONNA GO ROUGE SOMEMORE

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:14PM EST

I really hope this romance thing doesn’t end after trickster mode goes off.

I’VE WANTED THIS FOR SO LONG

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:20PM EST

Surprise Bit wrote:

I actually think Hussie changing the page was a good move, especially since the ones doing a majority of the harassing of other fans during that update were of the “LOL TAKE THAT SJ WARRIORS LOL” variety.

Hussie spoke of those who were genuinely upset, and this person is obviously one of them.

I think the biggest problem with social justice is its democratization. Every fool on tumblr can have a voice, and the most visible ones are those like Kankri, the ones that are afraid to actually talk about the issues they march behind, and would rather slap a trigger warning on everything. As a result, the majority of users tend to ignore any actual discussion of those issues and crusade against the Kankris (and the vegans). Their rallying call in this whole mess was “I know you’ll hate this, and there’s nothing you can do about it, so I’m going to rub your face in it.”

Hussie definitely made the right decision in changing it. Social Justice snobbery on tumblr became so infuriating that when they were dealt a blow, a certain part of the userbase assaulted them with bigotry, perhaps not realizing it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:31PM EST

Surprise Bit wrote:

I personally think that the person who made that post is creating 80% of the problem his/herself, but it’s not important.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:38PM EST

@That blog post

So let me get this straight. People are whining and bitching that an update was racist because it mentioned the word “Caucasian”

Really…

…Okay. I am not a racist as I in no way support government laws, attitudes and ideals intolerating certain cultures to the point where discriminating upon race is institutionalized as normal. As the definition of racism is outline in that tumblr post

Racism is when intolerance in government laws, attitudes and ideals of a society are ingrained in a culture to the point where patterns of discrimination towards a certain race are institutionalized as normal. […] There is another saying: “Racism (or sexism) = prejudice + power.

And I am going to say this:

CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, AFRICAN AMERICAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, CAUCASIAN, AFRICAN AMERICAN, POLYNESIAN, MONGOLOID, ASIAN, ARAB

Am I a racist now? No I’m not because the above sentence does not:

A: constitute a goverment law, attitude or ideal
B: Imply there is any discernible/discriminateable/negative aspects of the aformentioned
C: Regard the aformentioned with any disrespect

I merely said a name. I did not just put myself under the definition of a racist by saying that and neither did Hussie.

That blogger put the definition of a racist right at the top and already I see errors in the logic

First of all, Caucasian is a bad word. It originates from when this white fellow found some skulls in Caucasus, and was like “wow, these skulls are so perfectly formed, they must be the skulls of white people!”

Oh. My. God. Who the fuck cares? The word has been used to describe white people in a non offensive manner for years. The original offensive term was lost long ago and now we adopt it just like how some black people adopted “nigger” and now casually call themselves that. You can call me a caucasian or a whitey, or a cracker, I’ll just agree.

Did you know the entire white culture in NZ are referred to as “Pakeha”? Guess what that means in Maori: “White Rat”. It was a derogatory term used to describe the European settlers as an invasive pest.

Do we give a fuck? No. Because we aren’t so fucking vein. We let the past be the past and use modern terms as they are conveniently used now without wasting our time being politically correct over origins of terms that nobody remembers.

Is my entire country racist? Don’t anyone dare say it is because we have one of the most multicultural 1st world nations

it’s just a way of her shoving her whiteness in Jake’s aghast face.

Or maybe she’s suddenly a racist, because Trickster mode makes people racist. Hahahahaha! How manic and hilarious! That makes a fuckton of sense!

So perhaps whitewashing is the idea, right? Maybe trickster mode is meant to whitewash people! Maybe it’s meant to be a creepy unnerving way of highlighting how messed up trickster mode is!

And all the rest of this blatant missing the joke

How you should be reading it:

“Geddit? It’s because the characters are usually portayed without color but now Jane has a skin tone so suddenly she’s caucasian! Hahahaha!”

How you are currently reading it:

RACISM!!!! OH THE HORROR! THE CALAMITY! JFSJKFBAJKFFAJK

Don’t want your comic to be completely about racial issues? Fine, do that, make them aracial, but stick to that. Hussie doesn’t. After the tarot card debacle, Hussie should have just teetered away from racial descriptors or weight descriptors, since he’s so consistent about how anyone’s headcanons are canon. With this update Hussie’s aggregated an issue that was already there

Hussie didn’t create a racial issue. There was never an issue already there. People like this blogger created a racial issue. They were the ones who decided that a mere mention of the word “caucasian” must be a sign of racial discrimination when it doesn’t need to be. They were the ones who wanted to find it offensive when they didn’t have to

Hussie has never identified skin tone as important anywhere in the comic and that particular update shows that he views skin tone for what it is: a skin tone. Nothing more. “Caucasian” is just a descriptor for a color and that’s how true non-racist views it. People who assume that the names for skin tones imply anything less or more than that are the real offenders here. We as a society need to get past that.

Jane represents what racist people think social justice people think they look like, because racists love to marginalise and undermine people’s feelings: Ahh! Scary white person! So scary! Terrifying! Someone save us from the white people! She’s SO CAUCASIAN!!! :(

Or maybe Jane represents Jane being a zany outragous figure that makes crazy, irrational statements and conclusions due to her latent powers unstable influence on her personality, none of which you are supposed to take seriously. This person must be one of those people who look too deeply into plain simple, characters, find vague correlations in coincidences and then assume C3PO is a metaphor for Satan

[cont]

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 12:06AM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:02AM EST

Hussie’s trolling can be great, yeah! When Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff pop out of nowhere? That is the shit, I love that. When a racist panel comes up that has no Right interpretation unless you’re willing to be an ignorant piece of shit? I hate that. Nobody’s got time for that.

Implying you cannot interpret the panel as anything other than racist? Again, someone vastly overestimates the importance of their own opinion. I just gave my interpretation of the panel and I found nothing racist in it at all. I’m pretty sure I represent the majority

There is a right interpretation of that panel: It’s just a goddam joke about the color used on a comic character. That’s not being ignorant, that’s being realist. That’s all it is. The rest are taking things far beyond context and pretending they have to fight a huge serious battle over something so small and insignificant, then destroy something that everyone else took in good humor, for the sake of their own hubris and unwarranted self-importance. I hate that. Nobody’s got time for that.

why does being “pantone 7507c” mean she’s “Caucasian”?

It doesn’t. It’s a satirical approximation.

Why make fun of the “social justice” movement? Why not make fun of homophobes (in a way that isn’t queer-baiting) or racist bigots? Because Homestuck’s meant to be silly and fun? Sure, okay, it is. Let’s keep taking everything not seriously.

I cut out the last bit of sarcasm because this statement should be the part to take seriously. Yes, Homestuck is meant to be silly and fun. Yes, don’t take it seriously. It’s that simple.

I suppose Hussie could crack jokes about homophobes and bigots if he wanted too, they deserve the mockery but lets face it: jokes on them are done to death. Comedy must move on to more fertile lands. Nothing is sacred in comedy and that especially includes social justice bloggers. With ridiculous people like this who go to terrific lengths to complicate matters over frivolous and pointless details, I think they deserve to have fun poked at them too. That’s what Kankri is all about.

There’s nothing wrong with social justice blogging but there fun to be made in how it sometimes goes way over the top, beyond the call of duty, demanding outrage over something the average person doesn’t care about (not even the insulted demographic, like Caucasians such as myself in this case).

If a person of colour gets frustrated and upset because the media they consume (see: Homestuck) treats whiteness as the default and anyone who criticises this concept as ridiculous, and then you undermine their feelings? You are adding to the problem

What also adds to the problem are people who emphasize and exaggerated the size of the problem by raising a huge stinking shit over tiny unremarkable traces of it

Wouldn’t it be better to let society have a chance to forget and move on from issues like racism in the 1st world?

We will never eliminate racism for good if we cannot joke about it, forget the pain it caused and take the harsh terms of the ancient past in stride. Each time we sound the alarms and demand the rollings of heads of everyone who makes a very vaguely interpreted insinuation of it; we will always be reminded of it, the pain it brought our society will remain forever, the bitterness will pass on for generations to come.

But I digress, none of that was my point.

That blogger had one thing right: Treating whiteness as the default is ridiculous. But that’s not the attitude I’m undermining.

What I’m undermining is this: Treating Hussies comic as if it in any way defined whiteness as the default.

Maybe if Jane said “I FEEL SO THE DEFAULT COLOR THAT EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD BE”, perhaps then I would agree. But that’s not what happened

God forbid someone who has experienced racism – subtle or not, institutional or personal – should speak up about it.

I agree with this part. But as I mentioned above: Calling out racism isn’t the thing I’m taking issue with. I’m not against calling out racism. I’m against criminalizing of light-hearted jokes.

Make these huge blog posts about real discrimination in the workplace, not one homestuck panel

I’m not saying you should boycott Homestuck. I’m not saying we should hate Hussie. I’m saying that you should be – I hope you already are – aware of issues in what you read, and recognise those issues. Hussie could have genuinely furthered the plot, but he didn’t. He chose to do this. And that’s wrong.

I’m aware of and recognize another issue: People are unfairly accusing Hussie of racism he did not commit. And that’s wrong

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 12:09AM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:06AM EST

Personal prediction that I find to be rather interesting – Judging by Calliope’s drawings, Roxy will go trickster – but Dirk will not. Why? Because Calliope’s fanart of Dirk was in God Tier clothing, and she even seemed to suggest she’d seen him in it, based on her certainty of him wearing the pantaloons. Perhaps Roxy will finally get a hold of someone and he’ll go to the Derse Crypt. We already know he’s stealthier than pretty much any of the human heroes, beta or alpha (see Bro’s skills, Dirk’s puppetkind specibus, which is implied to require that Flash-Step-like movement, and his combat style against the drones). His specialty is avoiding people, so if Roxy can get a hold of him and tell him to avoid the Tricksters, then he’ll be fine.

Roxy, however, will not be so lucky. If we assume that Calliope could see far enough ahead to reproduce a God Tier Dirk, some extrapolation brings us to the conclusion that she must have seen far enough ahead to reproduce a Trickster Roxy Drawing as well (while I do enjoy the “Trickster is the Prospit equivalent of Grimdark” theory, Calliope predicted Tricksters awhile ago – and it was a picture of Roxy, a Derse dreamer). After all, they are right on top of her, her class isn’t very good for stealth, Trickster mode may essentially put a user at the top of their abilities, and it’ll take Dirk awhile to get to the core.

Writing posts at 3AM is hard. If I think of anything else to add, it’ll be up tomorrow.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:58AM EST

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:19PM EST

>Don’t be racist
>Become upset because there’s a webcomic in which the characters are white
>Don’t be racist
>Don’t be racist

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:20PM EST

Controversy aside, anyone else just really happy Jake finally got kicked in the nuts?

Last edited Jan 15, 2013 at 07:56PM EST
Jan 15, 2013 at 07:39PM EST

It gets better

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:18AM EST

I don’t understand. Why is Jake making motions like he’s throwing something? And why does Roxy look like something’s hitting her on the head?

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:28PM EST

Hauu! You must login or signup first!