Forums / Discussion / General

171,022 total conversations in 5,490 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
The KnowYourMeme RPG (Refresh)

Last posted Feb 19, 2013 at 04:04PM EST. Added Oct 22, 2011 at 09:33PM EDT
385 posts from 51 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I don’t get it. Is the game in 2D or 3D? Make up your minds. The fact that it switches from 2D gameplay to (what looks like) 3D cutscenes makes it all kinds of atrocious.

I understand you’re trying to pull off the “impressive” card with the cutscenes, but generally they aren’t necessary in games where you can see the pixels from space. It just looks bad, very bad.

Nov 03, 2011 at 12:59AM EDT

Taryn wrote:

I don’t get it. Is the game in 2D or 3D? Make up your minds. The fact that it switches from 2D gameplay to (what looks like) 3D cutscenes makes it all kinds of atrocious.

I understand you’re trying to pull off the “impressive” card with the cutscenes, but generally they aren’t necessary in games where you can see the pixels from space. It just looks bad, very bad.

GTFO.avi

Nov 03, 2011 at 07:17AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

angrypwnzer wrote:

GTFO.avi

As it’s been previously confirmed that you can’t deal with criticism, AP, I doubt you can really boost your ego with me leaving this thread, as you don’t really have anything to do with it at all.

If you wanted to start this thread just to hear universal critical acclaim on this, obviously, masterpiece of a game, I’m sorry to say you’ve come to the wrong place.

Nov 03, 2011 at 04:10PM EDT

This is actually a good point Brucker, a transition between always 2D and then suddenly BAM, 3D is kind of harsh. I will look into integrating 3D battlegrounds once I get Game Maker Pro so the transition won’t be so bad.

And don’t worry about the planet texture, it is just a place holder until we can paint a decent texture and world map.

Nov 03, 2011 at 05:17PM EDT

Update:
I have started the long and painfull process of respriteing KYM-Tan, but it will be worth it in the end.
[photo:195389]
This particular frame still needs movement in the sheild arm, but it’s comeing along.

Nov 05, 2011 at 12:51AM EDT

I won’t be able to make a few meetings for an unprecedented amount of time.
Laptop + Violent brother = Broken laptop.

Nov 05, 2011 at 09:11PM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Just a character display. I will update it when I have more models.

View Full Size

Darn! My beautiful side-character-five-second-ship-shot isn’t in this one!

Keep up the fine work.

Nov 05, 2011 at 10:48PM EDT

Sorry I couldn’t show up today, but it’s the 5th of November and I went to watch V for Vendetta. Now I’m doing stuff with friends so this is a quick message.

Nov 05, 2011 at 11:31PM EDT

Update: I have ran into a problem with the MP3 Size Format… useing MP3’s for every music track in the game is A LOT OF FUCKING MEGABITES, so the team is trying to find a way to get quailty MIDI files of the songs we want.

But hey, thats what we have composers for…

Also, Mister J has picked out his theme songs. Whoohoo.

Last edited Nov 12, 2011 at 12:56AM EST
Nov 12, 2011 at 12:56AM EST

Update:
I am struggleing with the respriteing, as some of the more dynamic poses are difficult to draw on such a small scale.

But in the meantime, Suiseiseki has made a concept for 4chan, and I am going to let him post it when he has the time.

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:52PM EST

I’m sorry if I lack teh awesome lurking skillz, but may I ask what program you’re using to render those 3D models?

Also, in the temporary characters; shouldn’t Olabia V. be included? I mean, remember the spam, and the fact that we need an antihero archetype to lampshade the overall theme?

Last edited Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00AM EST
Nov 14, 2011 at 09:58AM EST

It looks like meetingwords is derping and dumping some information once every two days or so. I suggest that we split the document into two new ones. One for the character bios and one for everything else.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:10PM EST

Ok, I will add a Pad for characters. If it keeps acting up we can make a new one for the script.

I also suggest everyone to go ahead and create another backup on their computer.

Last edited Nov 16, 2011 at 10:24PM EST
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:21PM EST

Update: The events leading past the 5th dungeon have have been brainstormed and we will be wrighting a basic script soon (Hopefully). However I doubt we will have a solid draft for awile.

Also, we need a Tumblr expert, as the current Dev team is kind of lost trying to wright the events for this city.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:53AM EST

Ashbot Sprites? He said he wanted to look like Chen, so it would work.

Also, I won’t be on the Meetingwords tonight, sorry.

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:56PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Minor update. Got most of the Reddit tower done (I’ll finish it during the next meeting). Rigged and animated a short run cycle for Natsuru. Created a few animation tests mainly using the generic hangar model I made.

Natsuru run cycle

Hangar and Reddit Tower.

thus i say ,
Natsuru Fujibayashi

p.s. whenever you get to the optional characters
i look a little like this

Last edited Nov 22, 2011 at 08:14PM EST
Nov 22, 2011 at 08:04PM EST

I’ve been meaning to post these last week, but the script doc went back in time and erased my progress, so I found the songs back.
Hopefully he lets us use these songs, or I’ll find other songs again…….

Main theme:

Against:

Overtime:

I’ll take suggestions though.

Last edited Nov 25, 2011 at 11:05PM EST
Nov 25, 2011 at 11:03PM EST

If we need to make a Doctor Who segment (Don’t Blink, Bowties are cool, Tennantface, etc.) I’d be happy to help

Last edited Nov 26, 2011 at 01:49PM EST
Nov 26, 2011 at 01:47PM EST

one last thing, even tho im an optional character, can i be the “rekka” character, rekka in fighting games originated with fei long from super street fighter II.
rekka means that the character can chain his special moves togethter right after the other, now theese days its usually limited to 3 specials in a row. normal move, normal move, special, special, special. for example.

Nov 26, 2011 at 06:27PM EST

Ann Hiro wrote:

one last thing, even tho im an optional character, can i be the “rekka” character, rekka in fighting games originated with fei long from super street fighter II.
rekka means that the character can chain his special moves togethter right after the other, now theese days its usually limited to 3 specials in a row. normal move, normal move, special, special, special. for example.

The tales of style provides room for these types of combos, but I am not going to program in a compeltly diffrent system just for one character.

We shall see.

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:38PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

The tales of style provides room for these types of combos, but I am not going to program in a compeltly diffrent system just for one character.

We shall see.

heres an easy rekka combo from tales of symphonia

lloyd irving

sword rain beta into tempest sword rain

or

demon fang into a hurricane thrust.

then regal

swallow dance into a dragon dive

creasent moon dance into a dragon or swallow dive.

presea

eteraal damnation into i forgot

those are psuedo rekka combos in the tales series.

Last edited Nov 27, 2011 at 06:23PM EST
Nov 27, 2011 at 06:18PM EST

Update:

We have drafted the first first visit and dungeon to and in Reddit. And have gotten to the part where we Introduced Rocket Proppeled Panda. Doesn’t sound like much, but trust me, manageing 5+ characters diolouge at a time is getting annoying.

On a side note, I have gotten my connection to KYM back, however I do not know how long I will be able to keep it. If I am cut off tommorow… well, we shall see.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:48AM EST

Tech Demo Update:

I have resprited 2 of the 5 (currently used) KYM-tan animations. It’s a lot of busy work, but I can manage.

But you probably won’t care untill you see it in a demo, so I will talk about something you will care about: what I will have for you by Christmas.

As of now, I am holding off any public tech demos I may or may not have untill Christmas Day. The demo you shall get on that day will have the fully re-sprited KYM-Tan, correctly colored Galstalf, health bars for both of them, and an attack for Galstalf, if not more (I really want to start codeing special attacks soon, so maybe that). Goes without saying that it will also be debugged.

I am also hopeing to upgrade my Game Maker to pro during the break, so you might even get to see one of Sui’s fancy cutscenes! ;)

--

Also, this is the last public update I am giveing untill Christmas. So this thread may go scilent untill then.

In the meantime, find me a spriter why don’t you? Thanks!

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:38PM EST

The meetings have started up once more. If you’re on the team please try to make it to the script document tonight.

Jan 07, 2012 at 10:10PM EST

Look at us doing hard work.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:37AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:36AM EST

I better announce this too. My computer is toasted, and I can’t work on the tech demo’s for awile. Though there is more than this done, the only thing I can give to you for now is the last Private Tech Demo I made before my computer crashed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6A062JNC

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:01AM EST

This looks amazing.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:12AM EST

Update: 1st 4Chan Sequence scripted! Whoohooo! In fact, we wrote so much stuff the board froze from our awesomeness! (Actually, we probably overloaded it’s temporary memory lol)

That makes us Half of the Way Done with the first draft of the first Ark!

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:04AM EST

Check the first post for guidelines on making it into the game. (As of now you can’t make it in, but become active enough by the time we start adding NPC’s, maybe)

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:54PM EST

We got very little done tonight, but I guess I will show you the current version of the WT Snacks moveset.

“Boss: WT Snacks. Armed with a Gold Banhammer, WT Snacks is the first enemy who has an Overlimit. (He also starts with his Overlimit Bar three quarters full, resulting in an early demonstration of the Overlimit)
Attacks:
•Proxy Ban: Pushes back all targets to the far side of the screen.
•Temporary Ban: Half’s target’s current mp and health.
•404: Drains target’s mp by 100 over 10 seconds. (Swings his hammer around a few times before creating a shockwave)
•Rule 34: Freezes everyone on screen for 5 seconds. (Flashes a semi SFW rule 34 of Moot and Snacks upon hitting the attack)
•Troll Minion: Summons a standard troll.
•OVERLIMIT: Permaban: Causes heavy damage to the Target, and moderately damages the rest of the opponents (This attack can’t kill anyone, and will at least leave them with 1 health). Drains Snacks mp to 0. (A charge shine glows for a brief second before smashing the ground, creating an Impact Zone. Whoever is touched by the Impact Zone is the “Target”. If this hits the anime seizure background will activate and WT Snacks will swing his hammer for a bit before it bursts into a godly flame. His cut-in flashes onto the screen just before he smashes the ground, causing the entire battlefield to go up into flames.)"

Jan 08, 2012 at 11:30PM EST

Sorry, I had no idea meetings had restarted as I just got Minecraft and Terraria so I hadn’t been paying attention to anything outside those two things for nearly a month. I’ll try and make it to the next meeting.

Jan 09, 2012 at 12:48AM EST

Sorry I couldn’t make it, I didn’t have time, also, I don’t have the url’s because I am on a new computer. If someone could send me those, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:38PM EST

This looks amazing. I can’t wait to see this thing evolve.

So far, I approve highly of this.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:08AM EST

Finally able to have attended the meetings once more.

Last edited Jan 15, 2012 at 01:22AM EST
Jan 15, 2012 at 01:22AM EST

Update!: We have finished wrighting the Tumblr Sequence! It may need a few more drafts, but It will definatly add a lot more to the Universe we are creating.

It also means that we only have 2-3 more full chapters to wright before we finish the first act!

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:22AM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Check the first post for guidelines on making it into the game. (As of now you can’t make it in, but become active enough by the time we start adding NPC’s, maybe)

Even so, the thread which you can apply has been automatically locked.

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:44PM EST

Update: \A new NPC Sign Up Thread has started!\ This is your last chance at makeing it into the final space battle cutscene! So if you want into the game now is the time to act!

Also, A lot of edits have been made to the script, and we have finished introduceing the rest of the Act 1 Playable Characters. (Jack Candle and Dr.Pepperfan will need to come in and expand their dialouge.)

Jan 16, 2012 at 01:57AM EST

I have been kinda quiet about this, but I assure you we are still working on the game. In fact, we are getting close to finishing the script for the first act!

Thus, after the first draft is done we will need everyone present in Act 1 to come in and expand/fix their dialogue. (You know who you are). I or another member of the active Dev team will come in when the time comes.

Stay tuned!

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:59PM EST

I will be opening an official NPC thread after we finish Act 1’s first draft.

(But for the record, we still have 50 something NPC positions open right now.)

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:24PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!