Forums / General

191,401 total conversations in 5,250 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
The KnowYourMeme RPG (Refresh)

Last posted Feb 19, 2013 at 04:04PM EST. Added Oct 22, 2011 at 09:33PM EDT
385 conversations with 51 participants

Hey i’ve been wondering if your useing game maker for the game engine are you useing the drag and drop system or are you scripting it?

May 22, 2012 at 02:33PM EDT

Riyku wrote:

Hey i’ve been wondering if your useing game maker for the game engine are you useing the drag and drop system or are you scripting it?

I am using the drag and drop, however to save space I will be converting it all to the Scripted System.

May 22, 2012 at 06:10PM EDT

Watched this project from the beginning. Such a Milestone

May 27, 2012 at 12:55PM EDT

Ansem the Seeker of Lolcats wrote:

Is Thomas Nair the final boss?

Why would we do that? Our final boss is the very thing that threatens the existence of the internet itself, not an opinion heavy FPS fan.

May 27, 2012 at 11:13PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Why would we do that? Our final boss is the very thing that threatens the existence of the internet itself, not an opinion heavy FPS fan.

Is Lamar S. Smith, the congressman who created Sopa, the final boss?
Or is the Final boss of the Internet the final boss?

May 28, 2012 at 03:07PM EDT

Is Lamar S. Smith, the congressman who created Sopa, the final boss?
Or is the Final boss of the Internet the final boss?

Good idea…. but I think the team has something more fictional for us.

May 28, 2012 at 08:01PM EDT

I am a very good pixel artist. I made this sword using GIMP.

That is rather good actually! Are you any good at sprite animations?

May 29, 2012 at 03:46PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Good idea…. but I think the team has something more fictional for us.

Lamar S. Smith will be in the game, but the Final Boss is the embodiment of the bill itself.

I won’t give away more than that.

May 29, 2012 at 03:47PM EDT

I can’t wait to see it!

But I am kind of confuse though…what KIND of RPG is it gonna be like? First person, third person, or both?
Also is it gonna be multiplayer?

Last edited May 29, 2012 at 04:29PM EDT
May 29, 2012 at 04:09PM EDT

That is rather good actually! Are you any good at sprite animations?

I never attempted to animate sprites so I have no experience.
Is Viacom one of the villains?

May 29, 2012 at 04:22PM EDT

I never attempted to animate sprites so I have no experience.
Is Viacom one of the villains?

Oh well, but would you be able to make backgrounds and stuff?

We haven’t gotten too far into the event line of Act 2, but Viacom is a good option for what we where brainstorming.

May 29, 2012 at 08:19PM EDT

Oh well, but would you be able to make backgrounds and stuff?

We haven’t gotten too far into the event line of Act 2, but Viacom is a good option for what we where brainstorming.

Before I agree to the job, I must know what backgrounds you want me to create?

May 29, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT

Before I agree to the job, I must know what backgrounds you want me to create?

I will send you a PM with some details.

May 30, 2012 at 12:10AM EDT

Update:

Teitoku Supreme supplied us with a backround to use in Newground Arena, and I will be adding it ASAP.

We have nearly 40 or so paragraphs of Act 2 outlined (2 bosses, 3 cities visited). At this rate we should have the outline done by the end of next week, so all is well.
--

I need to shout out to Omomon to get his butt in here, because Draft 2 and beyond of the script was the job he volunteered for. (I will Pm you the script location tomorrow, so prepare yourself.)

Jun 02, 2012 at 01:26AM EDT

Ric Tesla wrote:

I can’t wait to see it!

But I am kind of confuse though…what KIND of RPG is it gonna be like? First person, third person, or both?
Also is it gonna be multiplayer?

So far its Tales styled… if you tried the released demos…. the map is viewed sorta from the top, and the battles are side viewed.

Jun 02, 2012 at 11:57AM EDT

I want to make it Multiplayer, but I am not certain if I can yet.

Multiplayer as in, a friend brings a controller plugs into the computer, set the controls, then play the character of choice. I don’t mind if its like that.

Jun 02, 2012 at 03:37PM EDT

Yeah, I can’t set up an Online System with Game Maker….

Even if I could, it would be too much work.

Jun 02, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

>mfw Natsuru won’t let me make some music…

Jun 02, 2012 at 03:59PM EDT

How many acts are there…. your on act 2 so I kinda want like a deadline when I should finish the move set, and make some crude sprites….
I still take a hold of Optional character spot 1.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 04:45PM EDT
Jun 02, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT

To go more into detail, there will only be 5 optional character postions, which I will program after the main game is done. And the “REALLY noteable users” is up to my interpitation, but it will mostly fall under the line of “How many of the current users know this person?”.

This RPG has had a lot of development history, but we are still on the first project.
--

On a diffrent subject;

On the way home from school, I began brainstorming ideas on how to tackle what music we are going to need for this game. It has already been pretty much decided that every boss will have their own battle theme, but for regular enemy encounters we had not yet figured something out.

Eventually, I came up with a method we can use to decide what songs we will use:

Memes can be devided into roughly 5 main groups; Comics, Film, Video Games, Music, and Anime. Thus we could compose a song for each one of these. (Comics be a Spiderman/Batman mix, Video Games be a Smash Bros mix, Etc.)

Though, it also occured to me that many memes are mixes between the two, so it would be fair to say that there should be a song composed for every possible combination of media type. (Music x Video Games would be a Touhou Remix, Anime x Video Games would be a Pokemon Remix, etc)

So. If we where to use this system, what would the community want these 16 song remixes to be?

Comics
Comics x Film
Comics x Video Games
Comics x Music
Comics x Anime
Film (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings?)
Film x Video Games
Film x Music (This is Sparta, Bzzzzt?)
Film x Anime
Video Games
Video Games x Music (Touhou?)
Video Games x Anime (Pokemon?)
Music (Rickroll, Trololol, Nyan Cat?)
Music x Anime (Vocaloid?)
Anime

@Alex: See the second section of this post? Yeah, I was getting ready for you.

@Ann: Act 2 is the final act, but it is also longer. But I will have the Pre-Alpha of the game done around the time we finalize the script.

Jun 02, 2012 at 05:23PM EDT

Any online team members and users who are critiquing/brain storming should be in the Act 2 document.

Jun 02, 2012 at 10:41PM EDT

Update: To sum up tonights meeting:
No Critiques, No Music, Sui and Nats only, Final Destination.

(Oh, and I think Thundercritic was there for a bit before the Anime ate him.)

Russian Fedoras intro into the main plot has been decided, and we have gotten about twice as much done tonight as we did last night. Estimateing the outlines completion is difficult, but we are entering a rather straightforward section of the plot, so things will speed up a bit.

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:50AM EDT

When no one won’t come. ask me to help with the script story plot…. any of the story telling elements.

Jun 03, 2012 at 11:38AM EDT

Update:

As expected, we are tearing through the outline rather quickly. We are about 3-5 cities/events away from the completion of Act 2’s outline. Getting the outline done next meeting is not out of the question.

However, our turnout rate has been consistently low lately. There is Finals going on, so that’s no suprise…

Jun 10, 2012 at 02:29AM EDT

Small Update:

Outline Complete. Actual scripting starting, got past the first city and into the second. It still seems slightly bare bones, but at least it’s progress.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:57AM EDT

^ Thanks we needed that one.

I’ll save it and post it on the game forum so we don’t lose it.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:23AM EDT

Update:

Over 70 or so lines of unassisted dialogue later, Suiseiseki once again proves he/she is Fucking Awesome!

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:18AM EDT

Got about 200 lines done tonight. Hopefully we can knock out this script quickly and move on towards making other aspects soon.

Jun 23, 2012 at 01:23AM EDT

Whipped up some concept art. I’ll probably do a few more. Nothing too fancy or anything with spoilers though.

I’m also casually burning through the script at the moment. If I can keep up this pace it will be done within 2 weeks. The previous script pages have been double checked for continuity and have been polished a little.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 07:03PM EDT

Wasn’t Evil Nemesis going to voice for you Natsuru? I guess you can properly credit her now.

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:47AM EDT

Concept:

There are several characters within the games universe who have stronger than usual powers. However using these powers would cause them to leave the game play style we are going to use, thus I have been thinking this though. Switching a Boss to accommodate a different style would need some fancy concept, so I finally came up with one.

Example:Boss Marisa Kirisame.

She has a battle set like any other boss in the game, even with the exception that she remains in the air pretty much the entire battle. She has Standard Attacks, Special Attacks, Overlimit, etc.

However, upon beating her down to 0 HP and making her fall out of the sky will only cause something else to happen.

Suddenly, the entire world seems to fall into a Matrix like Code Background. Marisa flips back into the air, her health bar regenerates, and the words “Algorithm Engage” flash upon the screen before the signature Touhou Spellcard fire off effects flash upon the screen, the Matrix Code is replaced by the Purple Stainglass Honeycomb Spell Background Marisa uses, and her Orreries Suns emerge.

Afterward, the Boss will drop her need of a MP Bar and just attack in loops, and will continue to do this until he or she has be defeated once more.
--

An “Algorithm” is a technique used in Coding where an element is repeated several times until a desired outcome is achieved (And yes, I use this in actual coding). In the game, it will be used to a similar effect, except it will cause Metal Gears and Touhou Spellcards to appear and be used as Battle Finales.

The concept will be adjusted to fit each character using it, but the core concepts stay the same. The boss will manipulate the code around him or her to get a powerful outcome.

Jun 30, 2012 at 01:36AM EDT

Adding some spice to something only to make it better!

This concept I can see it working, adding challenge and depth to the game.
How did you come up with this?

Jun 30, 2012 at 01:53AM EDT

I came up with it as I walked home from school. It’s nearly an hour of doing nothing but walking, so I kinda sorta escaped into my mind and was trying to figure out how to make a common trait amongst the various powerful bosses.

I sorta came up with it while listening to this so I guess it was the state of mind I was in at the time.

Also: Update. Thank’s to Sui, the Script has been going along lighting fast! We are about halfway though it now! I knew writing that outline would help things along!

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 02:22AM EDT
Jun 30, 2012 at 02:18AM EDT

We’re so freaking productive right now

Seriously though, we’re flying through this stuff.

The script should be complete and refined within the next 5 days.
fingers crossed

After that I’ll start spriting or learning Game Maker. Which one I do depends on how much free time I have.

If you have access to the document and are a playable character I would suggest that you review and reword your lines to what you would actually say. Soon we may hit a point where we cannot or will not alter them.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:11AM EDT

We may get done with this draft at the estimated time Sui stated. However, if we do or don’t, we won’t be moveing onto the second draft until we get the entire team in for feedback, and once we have taken a break from the script.

AKA: We are getting into the Resource Phase! All spriters, artists, and musicians step forth!

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:39AM EDT

WE DID IT!!! The first draft of the script is done!!

Bleh, my head hurts. THANKS TO SUI FOR DOING MOST OF THAT WORK!! It would have never gotten done without her help!
--

Anyways, now we move onto the next phase: Resource Gathering/Makeing and Programing. We will not be returning to the script for some time, at least not until we get it peer reviewed by the other production team members and playable characters.

But it just feels good to get this part done… bleh. Now we can get to the part you guys can see us build.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:32PM EDT

OMG HURRAY

resource phase…wonder if I can contribute something
Jul 16, 2012 at 11:39PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!