Forums / Discussion / General

170,472 total conversations in 5,572 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
The KnowYourMeme RPG (Refresh)

Last posted Feb 19, 2013 at 04:04PM EST. Added Oct 22, 2011 at 09:33PM EDT
385 posts from 51 users

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Muhaha I actually got someone on the team. I should get a cookie or something.

Jul 24, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT

Friday, I think, is when I can do the livestream. If anything comes up I will change plans. But anyways, I will be doing a few things in it:

~Giving a Tutorial on how to use Game Maker
~Working on the KYM-RPG battle demo.
~Spriteing.

I might have a guest, but I don’t know.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:02AM EDT

Okay, here’s the Natsuru talk image. I made her lean backwards a bit, in order to give her some attitude, so I hope it doesn’t look weird to you guys. Just cut it the way you need it.

This was also my 800th uploaded image so far. Yay. Here’s the KYM link.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:03AM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Okay, here’s the Natsuru talk image. I made her lean backwards a bit, in order to give her some attitude, so I hope it doesn’t look weird to you guys. Just cut it the way you need it.

This was also my 800th uploaded image so far. Yay. Here’s the KYM link.

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Friday, I think, is when I can do the livestream. If anything comes up I will change plans. But anyways, I will be doing a few things in it:

~Giving a Tutorial on how to use Game Maker
~Working on the KYM-RPG battle demo.
~Spriteing.

I might have a guest, but I don’t know.

So, anything come up? If you’re doing this today, I’m afraid I might not be able to make it, since I get to actually do something today instead of just lounging around in my room with KYM, TVTropes, Gmail, Wikipedia, and Facebook open like I normally do when I have nothing else to do.

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT

@ Twins
don’t worry if you miss the livestream, there is always the recording of the live stream
whenever a live stream is made.
Here

Jul 27, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

Okay, I finally got the Natsuru attack pic done. I’m not all that happy with it, since I don’t care much for (read can’t draw) dynamic poses and hands, and on this one, I had to try out both…

Hope it’s good enough for you guys anyways.

I had to add some color quidelines, so that the pic wouldn’t be so confusing. I suggest you add the wings and other special effects digitally when you get to it Natsuru.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:05PM EDT

I used the Artwork Muumi made and a few bullet patterns from the Touhou Games to create a more solid concept for my Overlimit.

Also notice the voice acting. x3

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:34PM EDT

I used the Artwork Muumi made and a few bullet patterns from the Touhou Games to create a more solid concept for my Overlimit.

Also notice the voice acting. x3

Jul 30, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

Alex-_- wrote:

just to make sure….
That’s not the Game BTW

Jul 30, 2012 at 08:19PM EDT

And also as a related note, I have a nearly completed set of voices for my character, however I am rather worried about the quality of the Mic we used. So I might have to buy a higher quality Mic and do another recording session if the audio quality is too bad.

Last edited Jul 30, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:36PM EDT

Okay, now that you’ve got that tiny Overlimit animation concept, I was wondering how did you think about using the pictures on the final ingame version? Do you already have a specific plan you might enlighten us about?

Are you just going to flash the final pic full screen style, followed by the attack seen ingame? Or are you going to make it more like a popup window with effects, dialoque boxes, and closeups, then followed by the actual ingame attack?

Kinda like this.

Or am I just repeating the obvious and being stupid…?

Jul 31, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT

The plan (using me as an example):
After the Overlimit Bar is full, the player (or AI) sends me into Overlimit via Button Press. My spell cast time goes down considerably, so the player spams away with the spells for a bit. Anytime I am still in Overlimit, and after casting a higher tier spell the player (or AI) holds down the attack button and my character shines.
The wings expand to enormous size, and send forth a wave of multicolored bullets. A brief pause in the attack happens when the cut in flashes across the screen with it’s own set of special effects (in this case wings flapping and a spell ring forming), the character calls out the name of the attack, the cut in disappears, and the attack gives off it’s concluding strike (the Master Spark). After that the Overlimit ends.

This would be a high budget example of what I am trying to do.

This is an action RPG, so keeping the action quick is one of the main goals.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 03:09PM EDT

Yeah don’t kill yourself trying to do a bunch of splashy graphical effects. If you have the resources and time for both, by all means, do so, but with such a small team, you’re probably better off fine tuning the more major aspects of the game.

Seems like you’re progressing along quite nicely so far. But I’m curious, when are you going to do the livestream? Of course, no rush, take all the time you need, I’m just hopelessly lost and I can’t make a sprite without youuuuu.

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT

The livestream will likely happen once I have an optimal area to perform it (My house is no good and all the public places won’t allow me to talk it up with all of you as I have before). So likely chance is when this does happen, it will be at a friends house and I will have a stream buddy.
--

On a related note: My dream of creating a 2.5d type game has fully been realized! Because somebody figured it out for me while I wasn’t looking! If possible all the backgrounds in this game will be 3D environments instead of 2D backgrounds. This will make transitioning between the Cutscenes and the Gameplay much more smooth!

There will be several things that we will have to overcome, such as Load Times and reasonably co-programing it with the people who don’t have the 3d capabilities I had to pay for, but it is an overcome-able obstical.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:52PM EDT

Okay, this one was a piece of muffin to draw. It’s the Talk Image for Derpy Hooves. These talk pictures are really nice and easy to draw, but it’s the Overlimit pictures that are proving out to be really troublesome.

Anyways, just cut the pic to the size you need like usual. BTW Have you started on any of the linearts yet? I haven’t been to the livestreams to know better, you know…

There’s only one thing I have to say about this pic…

…Why does it have to be so ridiculously adorable!?

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 03:11PM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 03:10PM EDT

…ah, this is what i get for getting distracted by other forums. How are things going? Am i still in the game?

Aug 02, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

angrypwnzer wrote:

…ah, this is what i get for getting distracted by other forums. How are things going? Am i still in the game?

Well let’s just say you are no longer a main character.

You didn’t help us very much if at all with any aspect of the game.

You may still be an optional character but that’s it.

We simply had to cut a few characters who weren’t helping to lessen the already insane workload we’re carrying.

Maybe if you help more things will change.

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:42PM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Well let’s just say you are no longer a main character.

You didn’t help us very much if at all with any aspect of the game.

You may still be an optional character but that’s it.

We simply had to cut a few characters who weren’t helping to lessen the already insane workload we’re carrying.

Maybe if you help more things will change.

Anything I can help with? Writing character quotes or side quests? Anything?

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:09PM EDT

angrypwnzer wrote:

Anything I can help with? Writing character quotes or side quests? Anything?

All that is pretty much finished, the team is going into the actual making of the game right now.

Aug 02, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT

Okay my good people, here are the remaining two Overlimit pictures required for the character of Derpy Hooves.

And Natsuru. Remember when I suggested you make the characters appear from the left and right in the Overlimit cut? Well, I think it might be better if Celestia appeared from down, and Derpy from up, since Celestia’s pose is pretty much “ascending”, and therefore I made Derpys pose to match.

Oh, and are you absolutely sure you are able to convert these linearts to digital linearts, and color them? Or has there been any thought of getting someone else to digitalize all of these scetches?

Anyways, you can send me the next character sheet and reference materials as soon as you have the time, and I’ll tackle them as soon as I get some time myself. I won’t be sending a seperate PM asking for them this time around, but I’ll ask for help if something comes up.

And fun little fact about that Celestia pic. Since she was supposed to hold the megaphone seen is “Friendship is Magic Bitch”, I decided to sneak in a little “Love is War” reference too. Hope ‘ya don’t mind. She was a total pain in the ass to draw BTW.

Here are also the KYM links:

Celestia
Derpy

Aug 04, 2012 at 12:00PM EDT

Here’s the boss thing Natsuru asked me to do. Would like to hear some feedback from her and if I’m missing anything.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:36PM EDT

Alright! Looks great! I will likely vector and color (and add Facial Expressions) it after I get Muumi’s first one done!

(Unless if you want to do that part, which I am fine with.)

I will send you details about the next boss tomorrow.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:00AM EDT

Okay! Just remember, if I’m missing something or you need more on the boss, I’m be right here waiting.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:09AM EDT

Stream Over.

Well, seems I am about halfway done with the Vectoring, including all of the hard parts. Will probably get the rest done next stream.

As you can see, I re-drew the hands to be a little less dis-jointed, but besides that I didn’t have to go over and re-draw anything.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:54PM EDT

Stream Over.

Well, seems I am about halfway done with the Vectoring, including all of the hard parts. Will probably get the rest done next stream.

As you can see, I re-drew the hands to be a little less dis-jointed, but besides that I didn’t have to go over and re-draw anything.

Good. If you have a chance of improving some pics, please do so, I encourage it. For great justice.

Oh, and in case you missed my last post on this thread, you can send me the references for the next pictures. Or has there been a reason you haven’t sent me anything new yet?

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:11PM EDT

And Done!

The livestream will continue for a little longer if you still wish to join. I will be starting a diffrent portrait.

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!