Forums / Discussion / General

232,903 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General III: This time, it's personal

Last posted Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2011 at 07:41PM EDT
9915 posts from 105 users

Nintendork64 wrote:

Well I can see this is devolving into image spam, but before it does, could I just have some suggestions based on what I said before (weak willing suspension of disbelief, dry wit/sarcastic humor, no Pinkie Pie)?

An episode you mean? I guess lesson zero or sister hooves social.

Oh, boy. That was alot of comments to respond to. He must have commented it reading through the first time (without looking at the comic), otherwise he probably would have caught the alternate reality I was trying to make.

Edit day tomorrow. Gimme your suggestions (and virgins)!

Hmm, from the couple clips I've seen of Lesson Zero, I wouldn't like it…. My suspension of disbelief isn't that strong. Like RD surviving crashing into the ground at mach 1? Or Twilight going completely out of character at the thought of being tardy, to the point where she's literally insane? No thanks. I'll try sisterhooves social, though.
EDIT: It doesn't have to be from season 2, keep that in mind.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 09:22PM EST

Erin ◕ω◕ wrote:

Oh, boy. That was alot of comments to respond to. He must have commented it reading through the first time (without looking at the comic), otherwise he probably would have caught the alternate reality I was trying to make.

checks closet
no virgins

Nintendork64 wrote:

Well I can see this is devolving into image spam, but before it does, could I just have some suggestions based on what I said before (weak willing suspension of disbelief, dry wit/sarcastic humor, no Pinkie Pie)?

Sorry, can't think of anything that falls under all of those categories. The closest you'll get in terms of humour is probably 'Return of Harmony', though it does also contain quite a lot of slapstick, and Discord is likely to screw up your suspension of disbelief pretty bad. 'Sisterhooves Social' doesn't have Pinkie Pie and it doesn't have much slapstick humour in it, but it also features copious amounts of Sweetie Belle, and I know that a lot of non-regular viewers don't like the fillies in the show (even after watching the show for half a year they still annoy me from time to time).

As for season 1 episodes, 'Sonic Rainboom' probably comes closest to fulfilling those criteria, but you might have trouble with your suspension of disbelief.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 09:32PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

Yeah…image spam happens here… But I've adjusted.

• Ticket Master is a nice introductory episode, if you haven't seen it yet. It focuses more on the interactions with all of the mane six. Pinkie is involved, but she doesn't take up as much time as she does in Luna Eclipsed. Standard "I have too little to spread out among my friends" episode. There's a trope for that, I'm sure.
  • There's a danger to Boast Busters. A lot of people hate the new character of Trixie, but some (as you can tell) love her. Pinkie doesn't speak or act noticeably (although she is there.) Basically, the episode is about a braggart who shows up three of the mane six in talent, and Twilight puts Trixie in her place. I don't find it all that funny, but it doesn't have too much raw slapstick in it.
  • Dragonshy has a good bit of Pinkie, but screen time is fairly balanced. The humor isn't based in much slapstick, but it's not witty either. It's a lot of Fluttershy being an incompetent fraidy-cat timid until crunch time.
  • Maybe Look Before You Sleep? It's about a sleepover with a lot of stereotypical sleepover kind of things, and Twilight is much more naive than she is normally. However, the humor is pretty dry and based in dialogue especially from Rarity and sometimes from Applejack.
"You made it up!"
"It is a ghost story: they're all made up."
"You did that on purpose!"
"Uh…yeah?"

I'll leave the context out so as not to "spoil" anything if you haven't seen that one.

• FEELING PINKIE KEEN IS TEH BEST EPISODE EVAR OMIGOSH Avoid this episode like the clichè. All Pinkie with all slapstick, all of the time. But I think you know about it already. It's unfortunate, because I love Twilight in this episode. It's her brand of sarcasm at its best, but it's all in relation to Pinkie, so I'm sure that ruined the episode for you when you saw it.

That's all I can think of that you might like. Sorry it took a while for me to type up.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 09:44PM EST

Erin ◕ω◕ wrote:

I was planning on adding the wet manes to art fads tomorrow.

What were you planning? Because if you were planning it, I have no trouble with waiting.

Pinkie Pie has trained her well.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 10:10PM EST

@Verbose Thank you, that helps!
I actually haven't seen Feeling Pinkie Keen, but I KNOW I would not like it, based on short snippets of it I've seen.
I've seen Ticket Master and Dragonshy, and thought they were, you guessed it, "okay". Ticket Master felt a bit predictable and Dragonshy really broke my suspension of disbelief (getting thrown through a solid rock, by a ROAR, and LIVING?), but I haven't seen the other two.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 10:23PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

@Verbose Thank you, that helps!
I actually haven't seen Feeling Pinkie Keen, but I KNOW I would not like it, based on short snippets of it I've seen.
I've seen Ticket Master and Dragonshy, and thought they were, you guessed it, "okay". Ticket Master felt a bit predictable and Dragonshy really broke my suspension of disbelief (getting thrown through a solid rock, by a ROAR, and LIVING?), but I haven't seen the other two.

I haven't seen all of them either and there are ones I don't want to watch but the image macros of the meme are fun. I have watched most of the second season and I think they are better than the first. It does help to watch them to know what everyone is talking about but not really that important.

Nintendork64 wrote:

…and Dragonshy really broke my suspension of disbelief (getting thrown through a solid rock, by a ROAR, and LIVING?), but I haven’t seen the other two.

I have a very small suspension of disbelief, like I said, but I was able to excuse that. It's a cartoon.
You sound like you wouldn't like most cartoons.
Anyways, I gotta go now, everyone. See you later.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 10:43PM EST

Cite wrote:

Nintendork64 wrote:

…and Dragonshy really broke my suspension of disbelief (getting thrown through a solid rock, by a ROAR, and LIVING?), but I haven’t seen the other two.

I have a very small suspension of disbelief, like I said, but I was able to excuse that. It's a cartoon.
You sound like you wouldn't like most cartoons.
Anyways, I gotta go now, everyone. See you later.

…Really? Then I guess I must have a REALLY weak suspension of disbelief, then… It's been broken by smaller things than that…
Is willing suspension of disbelief something you can develop over time?
EDIT: You know what, I actually think I have no suspension of disbelief. At all. When watching a show, everything must be either make sense, be passed off as an artistic/stylistic choice, or be non-canonical. Otherwise it's broken.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 10:53PM EST

Anypony got the sauce?

To the headcanon with you,

Now they may produce white Princess Celestia toys.

@RandomMan
You can go ahead and add wet manes. I'll just look over it after and suggest things. I also have a file full of all the wet manes from r/clopclop/ if you need any.

Tomorrow I will be minecrafting and editing.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:11PM EST

Hello everyone, back from the party.

The only thing I have to say about it: The face of all the parents listening to the kind of music their sons are used to dance was just priceless XDDD

And one more thing: for everyone who likes Skyrim (I do, but not willing to play it), this man gentlemen, is your new god:

@Connor
Pony Royal Couple? Can't unsee!!

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:14PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

…Really? Then I guess I must have a REALLY weak suspension of disbelief, then… It's been broken by smaller things than that…
EDIT: You know what, I actually think I have no suspension of disbelief. At all. When watching a show, everything must be either make sense, be passed off as an artistic/stylistic choice, or be non-canonical. Otherwise it's broken.

Just saying you would probably enjoy the show alot more if you kept these sorts of things out of your mind. Like cite said, it's a cartoon.

But just curious, why do the small things about individual episodes bother you when the ponies talk, come in a variety of colors and do magic – I haven't seen you say anything about that yet.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:18PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

Hmm, from the couple clips I've seen of Lesson Zero, I wouldn't like it…. My suspension of disbelief isn't that strong. Like RD surviving crashing into the ground at mach 1? Or Twilight going completely out of character at the thought of being tardy, to the point where she's literally insane? No thanks. I'll try sisterhooves social, though.
EDIT: It doesn't have to be from season 2, keep that in mind.

Not trying to be an ass, but if you want believability, cartoons are not for you. Bugs bunny would most certainly not survive stinking his finger in a shotgun barrel,humans and prehistoric beasts would not coexist as they did in the Flintstones, and spongebobs house would have rotted a long time ago( plus sponges are sedentary). I don't think twilight was at all out of character. She also started to freak out in swarm of the century and in A bird in the hoof. Remember that her mentor is the Princess and practically a God which is why she is so worried about letting her down. Try not to let the little things bother you so much.

@citation

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:22PM EST

@ Iamslow
The thing is, I naturally notice these. It's intuitive to me, and I have to put effort into ignoring them.
To me, these aren't "small things". If the world doesn't "work", I really can't enjoy it. I always have to find a way to make things "work" and often that involves mentally de-canonizing things until it does.
The talking ponies doesn't bother me because that's consistent. They could have different voice boxes allowing for more vocalizations, and more tightly packed brains that allow for increased communication and reasoning skills. It can be easily justified. Being roared through a rock cannot.

@Dac-attack, It was out of character because of the level to which she went insane, despite normally being logical. In swarm of the century it's justified because THE TOWN WAS BEING DESTROYED. That's certainly cause for panic, and given the situation, she handled it pretty well.
The thing is, to you these might be "little things" but to me, they're not. And I need to find some way to enjoy the show.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:26PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

That's interesting, even outside of ponies.

I think it's something you could develop only if you had a change of how you viewed the world or how you allow yourself to use imagination. Iamslow made an interesting point about talking ponies. So in enjoying the show to some extent, you must have some level of suspension. But then again, maybe you accept that much only because it's crucial to understanding the show at the most basic of levels.

EDITED for ninja and you explaining.

Maybe that's the crux of the matter, especially since you don't like many cartoons.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:25PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

@ Iamslow
The thing is, I naturally notice these. It's intuitive to me, and I have to put effort into ignoring them.
To me, these aren't "small things". If the world doesn't "work", I really can't enjoy it. I always have to find a way to make things "work" and often that involves mentally de-canonizing things until it does.
The talking ponies doesn't bother me because that's consistent. They could have different voice boxes allowing for more vocalizations, and more tightly packed brains that allow for increased communication and reasoning skills. It can be easily justified. Being roared through a rock cannot.

@Dac-attack, It was out of character because of the level to which she went insane, despite normally being logical. In swarm of the century it's justified because THE TOWN WAS BEING DESTROYED. That's certainly cause for panic, and given the situation, she handled it pretty well.
The thing is, to you these might be "little things" but to me, they're not. And I need to find some way to enjoy the show.

My guess is you never saw looney tunes or MGM cartoons as a kid. Its just seems like cartoons aren't your thing, which is perfectly fine. Go ahead and watch more episodes if you want, but from what you are saying, I don't think any episode is going to change your mind.

EDIT: But she wasn't worried about the town, she was worried about what celestia would say( or do). I kicked a hole thru my wall once because I couldn't find the keys to the Milking parlor and I was worried about disappointing my Dad. Shit happens.

Last edited Dec 08, 2011 at 11:30PM EST

^something like the image macro above (trixie running in air) can easily be attributed to artistic representation. It has no effect on the plot one way or another, and can be easily be overlooked. Some things can not, and if it can't be justified in-universe, I just can't deal with it… I'm still going to try to watch the show and overlook the nonsensical aspects, but it's really pushing what I can mentally handle.

Nintendork64 wrote:

^something like the image macro above (trixie running in air) can easily be attributed to artistic representation. It has no effect on the plot one way or another, and can be easily be overlooked. Some things can not, and if it can't be justified in-universe, I just can't deal with it… I'm still going to try to watch the show and overlook the nonsensical aspects, but it's really pushing what I can mentally handle.

Though I can't begin to understand why you have to be so critical of something so whimsical and cartoony( no pun intended), Its commendable that you are trying to look past and I respect that.

Nintendork said:

something like the image macro above (trixie running in air) can easily be attributed to artistic representation. It has no effect on the plot one way or another, and can be easily be overlooked. Some things can not, and if it can’t be justified in-universe, I just can’t deal with it… I’m still going to try to watch the show and overlook the nonsensical aspects, but it’s really pushing what I can mentally handle.

Congratulations Nintendork, you are now the center of attention :)

So can you tell me more about your history of cartoon watching? Or TV watching in general? What kind of stuff do you watch?

I'm curious because if you feel as though you mentally cannot tolerate nonsense, that must have been generated by a long term cause…In my theory anyway. But I bring this up purely so you can correct me if I'm wrong

I'm going out on a limb here but I am guessing that for the most part of your life you watched mostly Drama's in both live action and animated shows. You rarely every watched comedy and preferred Story and Plot presented in a serious manner. Therefor you have adapted to reality and realism and are not used to nonsense and ludicrousness.

How close am I?

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Nintendork said:

something like the image macro above (trixie running in air) can easily be attributed to artistic representation. It has no effect on the plot one way or another, and can be easily be overlooked. Some things can not, and if it can’t be justified in-universe, I just can’t deal with it… I’m still going to try to watch the show and overlook the nonsensical aspects, but it’s really pushing what I can mentally handle.

So can you tell me more about your history of cartoon watching? Or TV watching in general? What kind of stuff do you watch?

I'm curious because if you feel as though you mentally cannot tolerate nonsense, that must have been generated by a long term cause…In my theory anyway. But I bring this up purely so you can correct me if I'm wrong

I'm going out on a limb here but I am guessing that for the most part of your life you watched mostly Drama's in both live action and animated shows. You rarely every watched comedy and preferred Story and Plot presented in a serious manner. Therefor you have adapted to reality and realism and are not used to nonsense and ludicrousness.

How close am I?

Watch out, we got a Sherlock here!

.loljk

Nintendork64 wrote:

@ Iamslow

Just kidding, I actually think that's pretty interesting.

Unrelated, I found fanart of that new Alicorn.

IT BEGINS!

But do you guys think she and the other pony will be in the show? Is it possible they're part of the backstory of Equestria that they're going to detail in that upcoming episode?

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 12:26AM EST

Iamslow wrote:

Just kidding, I actually think that's pretty interesting.

Unrelated, I found fanart of that new Alicorn.

IT BEGINS!

But do you guys think she and the other pony will be in the show? Is it possible they're part of the backstory of Equestria that they're going to detail in that upcoming episode?

To be honest, I hope not. They should develop Celestia and Luna more( hell, even blue blood) before they introduce more royalty.

@Iamslow

First things first: What was that thing that these 2 characters appeared?

You can see that their names are Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. Interresting enough is that this totally confirms Lauren's statement about inter breed unions, cause he's clearly an unicorn and she's… an alicorn O_O

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 12:38AM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Nintendork said:

How close am I?

You're somewhat close. You're saying I have to adapt to the cartoonyness, right?
I have pretty much no history of cartoon watching, especially with 90's cartoons. My favorite shows would be Castle, Whose Line is it Anyway, and Mythbusters. I don't tend to watch dramas, actually. I can tolerate complete nonsense so long as there's no canon. Youtube Poop for example: it's just randomness, no story or characters, so there's nothing I have to suspend disbelief for.
I know, I'm a really odd case, and might come across as being nit-picky, but that's really not it: nit-picking is complaining about things unimportant to the enjoyment of the show, and canon is very important to me.

@dac-attack I never really thought of myself as critical, but now that you mention it, I guess that's the case. I guess I'm sort of critical of everything, but never, ever in a mean way, always in an honest way.

How do you guys deal with something like I mentioned? Rainbow Dash getting roared through a rock? Do you not notice it, or just not get bothered by it, or consider it canon and forget about it, or what?

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 12:48AM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

Sorry but if that is all you can mentally handle bro, than you're in the wrong place. There will be a short yellow bus along any minute to pick you up.

Well, ouch. I'm not stupid, Vasquez. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of things. And I think I came to exactly the right place: everyone here can easily suspend disbelief, and everyone here loves the show, and those are he two things I'm trying to do.

The Fleur ask tumblr actually answered two of my questions:

And when she said she was sued once for giving a colt a scar during a fencing session.

burning_phoneix wrote:

The Fleur ask tumblr actually answered two of my questions:

And when she said she was sued once for giving a colt a scar during a fencing session.

Well, this Tumblr is being quite nice to her. I thought that her first one would turn her into some Molestia equivalent or a pony bombshell.

Anyways, gotta go. And @Nintendork, hope you really get into the show. No regrets from my part ^ _ ^

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:10AM EST

Now you stop that, Daniel. I like to have that bus all to myself, thank you very much.

How do you guys deal with something like I mentioned? Rainbow Dash getting roared through a rock? Do you not notice it, or just not get bothered by it, or consider it canon and forget about it, or what?

Not get bothered by it, mostly. As long as the plot unfolds in a somewhat orderly fashion, It usually doesn't bother me. I've always watched cartoons and played video games, so that may be less of a hurdle for me (and others) to overcome.

I could see your point though. If I stopped to think about it, then I might wonder why Twilight having multiple items (including a f*cking piano) fall on her gives her a case of the "ouchies" but Twilight falling into swamp water is somehow going to seriously injure her. In the same episode. Did physics change at some point when I wasn't looking?

But I generally approach those things for what they are meant to do: The falling items were meant to throw in Derpy Hooves, to give some slapstick humor, and to help support the existence of "Pinkie Sense."
Twilight falling to her potential death was to give a do or die situation to Twilight and to create anxiety.

It hardly crosses my mind.

I can't tell you how to make that transition to not letting it bother you. I'd normally say to avoid whatever bothers you about it, but that means just not watching the show.

Otherwise, you may want to overexpose yourself until it doesn't bother you. I don't know how easily that comes after having years without that experience though, and it may turn you off from anything Pony even more.

It's hard to suggest anything.

@Nintendork64
I understand that cartoons are whimsical and unrealistic, so it doesn't even occur to me. Even after you mention it, I don't have problem. You could also argue that they don't have sexual organs, so how could the breed? Or that that pinkie pie threw up( horses can't vomit). But thats just nitpicking that will always get in the way of you enjoying the show. You might want to get to the bottom of why you think that way, and see what you could do to stop thinking that way, because its kind of dumb ( to me at least, no offense)

Nintendork64 wrote:

Well, ouch. I'm not stupid, Vasquez. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of things. And I think I came to exactly the right place: everyone here can easily suspend disbelief, and everyone here loves the show, and those are he two things I'm trying to do.

Not really saying you're stupid (I Kinda am) but

You can't wrap your head around this but you can obviously understand Legand of Zelda?
And we haven't even started talking about Pinkie breaking the fourth wall yet. Your head may explode.
But

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:24AM EST

Nintendork asked:

For me its the first one: I don't notice it.

I watched shows like Rocko's Modern Life, Catdog, Samurai jack…I even watched Spongebob when it first came out. So I learned to completely disregard things that don't make sense in cartoons that do not intend to make any. That's simply what you have to do in order to get enjoyment out of them.

I don't even think about it. While watching cartoon's my brain switches off and I just laugh at all the colorful characters. So when Rainbow Dash got smashed through a rock, in my mind I was just thinking "Hurr, Hurr, Hurr, Poniz".

That's not to imply that I can't enjoy more serious subjects. My brain will switch back on when it needs to.

[edit]

@Daniel

I'm speculating again but perhaps since Zelda is a game he does not hold it up to the same standards as he does his TV shows. Also please don't call Nintendork stupid

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:31AM EST

I'm really not stupid (I have an IQ test from childhood that put me at 140), and it's not that I can't wrap my head around it, it's that It's hard to muster the mental effort required to ignore obvious plot holes and inconsistencies.
"You could also argue that they don’t have sexual organs, so how could the breed? Or that that pinkie pie threw up( horses can’t vomit)."
The first I can attribute to the art; obviously they aren't going to show those in a cartoon. Canonically do they have them? Yes. The second can be justified because the ponies in Equestria and the ponies on earth are really completely different. I suppose you could say they aren't even ponies at all, but we just call them that. "Pony" is just a word after all.
As long as it can be justified in-universe I can go with it. Really, any justification will work as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else we know from the show.

@blue_screen That might be my problem, and someone else suggested it too… My brain really only has one setting, I suppose.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:32AM EST

Verbose wrote:

Now you stop that, Daniel. I like to have that bus all to myself, thank you very much.

Not get bothered by it, mostly. As long as the plot unfolds in a somewhat orderly fashion, It usually doesn't bother me. I've always watched cartoons and played video games, so that may be less of a hurdle for me (and others) to overcome.

I could see your point though. If I stopped to think about it, then I might wonder why Twilight having multiple items (including a f*cking piano) fall on her gives her a case of the "ouchies" but Twilight falling into swamp water is somehow going to seriously injure her. In the same episode. Did physics change at some point when I wasn't looking?

But I generally approach those things for what they are meant to do: The falling items were meant to throw in Derpy Hooves, to give some slapstick humor, and to help support the existence of "Pinkie Sense."
Twilight falling to her potential death was to give a do or die situation to Twilight and to create anxiety.

It hardly crosses my mind.

I can't tell you how to make that transition to not letting it bother you. I'd normally say to avoid whatever bothers you about it, but that means just not watching the show.

Otherwise, you may want to overexpose yourself until it doesn't bother you. I don't know how easily that comes after having years without that experience though, and it may turn you off from anything Pony even more.

It's hard to suggest anything.

Actually you just stumbled upon the answer. It's slapstick. Which goes back to Vaudeville. Look at the classics = Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Charlie Chaplin, etc..
Do physics apply to them as well when a piano drops on their heads? Cartoons came from the early Vaudeville style of slapstick and continues to this day.
So scoot over and make room on the bus. I'm getting on.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:46AM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

I'm really not stupid (I have an IQ test from childhood that put me at 140), and it's not that I can't wrap my head around it, it's that It's hard to muster the mental effort required to ignore obvious plot holes and inconsistencies.
"You could also argue that they don’t have sexual organs, so how could the breed? Or that that pinkie pie threw up( horses can’t vomit)."
The first I can attribute to the art; obviously they aren't going to show those in a cartoon. Canonically do they have them? Yes. The second can be justified because the ponies in Equestria and the ponies on earth are really completely different. I suppose you could say they aren't even ponies at all, but we just call them that. "Pony" is just a word after all.
As long as it can be justified in-universe I can go with it. Really, any justification will work as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else we know from the show.

@blue_screen That might be my problem, and someone else suggested it too… My brain really only has one setting, I suppose.

Its been shown time and time again that Ponies are more resilient than we are and can survive just about anything, so thats canon. As is everything else you've pointed out. Just so you know, We here all like more than just cartoons. I can almost guarantee that I ( and others here, Daniel) have seen a lot more TV shows and Movies than you have, so its not a lack of other material on our part. Its just that you seem to nitpick things that are just a non issue.

As Daniel pointed out, Its just slapstick and physics shouldn't apply. If they did, curly would have been blind and brain dead.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:57AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!