Forums / Discussion / General

232,731 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General III: This time, it's personal

Last posted Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2011 at 07:41PM EDT
9915 posts from 105 users

Iamslow wrote:

Well seeing how they had to boot that red dragon out for nearly suffocating Ponyville with smoke, I kinda wondered if they'd have to deal with Spike in the same way eventually because he breathes fire, too. You could assume only bigger dragons do, or Spike just doesn't because his fire is magic or something. Or maybe only bigger dragons breathe enough to cause a problem. whatever.

But even though that's not going to be the issue in the new episode I really doubt they'll write Spike out of the show.

Atleast I hope not because sometimes he's eh pretty cool guy.

I love Spike! If they write him out, there will be hell to pay.

HELL. TO. PAY.

All joking aside, I don't think they'll get rid of spike. It's a children's show, I don't think a children's show ever got rid of a character in a big emotional way.

EDIT:
@Riyku I will watch and give feedback on your video later. I've got to go now.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 01:53PM EST

Sandwichman wrote:

I suppose I'm just in a talkative mood

@Iamslow
Well if they do give spike the boot, I'm going to have to invest a lot of money in instruments and a lot of time in learning them and writing music.

EDIT: My first page get! It Un-happened!

Although I am somewhat saddened by your loss of page get, I am rather pleased that it is now mine instead, NOT THAT I HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT, WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SUGGEST THAT.

Sandwichman wrote:

All joking aside, I don't think they'll get rid of spike. It's a children's show, I don't think a children's show ever got rid of a character in a big emotional way.

EDIT:

I don't think a children's show has had this zealous of a older teen/adult male following for a children's show either. Oh gosh they're going to do it.

Just kidding. It may get emotional like Owl's Well that Ends Well, but he's not actually going anywhere. I'll bet RandomMan's secret identity on it.

Oh, and notsocool was the one that deleted his post. It was a Bleach reference.

lol u mad notsocool?

I really doubt they'd get rid Spike. This show has a serious case of Simpsons syndrome, so they'd never do something as drastic as permanently removing a major character. I bet they'll find a way of returning him to his normal size, and by the end of the episode, all will be good in Equestria… again.

In slightly related news, there's a fanfic I'm reading at the moment called It Takes a Village in which Spike outgrows the library and is forced to move out. He stays in Ponyville, but has to find new ways of making himself useful. It's actually my favourite fanfic at the moment, since the writer did a great job with the plot and dialogue (he absolutely nailed Spike's sense of humour). As far as I know, it appeared on EqD a few days before the episode was announced, so any similarities are merely a coincidence. It's a great read, so if you're into fanfiction you might want to check it out.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 02:27PM EST

Iamslow wrote:

Well seeing how they had to boot that red dragon out for nearly suffocating Ponyville with smoke, I kinda wondered if they'd have to deal with Spike in the same way eventually because he breathes fire, too. You could assume only bigger dragons do, or Spike just doesn't because his fire is magic or something. Or maybe only bigger dragons breathe enough to cause a problem. whatever.

But even though that's not going to be the issue in the new episode I really doubt they'll write Spike out of the show.

Atleast I hope not because sometimes he's eh pretty cool guy.

Don't forget, Eh kills diamond dogs and doesn't afraid of anything.

Hasbro has made terrible decisions in the past, like when they killed off Optimus Prime in the 1986 animated movie. That had a huge backlash from their fanbase.

So much so that they brought him back from the dead…twice.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 03:55PM EST

What now? Hmm… I suppose I should spam those things, if they truly don't exist to you. You shouldn't have a problem, after all, they don't exist. Your move.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 04:09PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

What now? Hmm… I suppose I should spam those things, if they truly don't exist to you. You shouldn't have a problem, after all, they don't exist. Your move.

Ahem. Trixie, if you will?

Do not doubt my abilities. Bring on your spam.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 04:19PM EST

Ideological the Vinyl Scratch wrote:

So let me ask this. How can I ignore something as popular and huge as the .mov mlp parodies especially since a stready stream of gifs from them are added to the image gallery?

I still don't understand why they bother you so much. They're just parodies. If I ever see something I don't like, I have no problem with simply ignoring it and moving on.

Anyways, you shouldn't have any problems after tomorrow, since there's a good chance everyone will forget about DRESS.MOV for a while and start posting pics from the new episode.

Algernon wrote:

I still don't understand why they bother you so much. They're just parodies. If I ever see something I don't like, I have no problem with simply ignoring it and moving on.

Anyways, you shouldn't have any problems after tomorrow, since there's a good chance everyone will forget about DRESS.MOV for a while and start posting pics from the new episode.

It's the quality and how the mane cast is portrayed. They're not like their usual selves. I might not have seen the recent one or all of the last one but from what I've seen, they're like distorted and corrupted version of themselves. Rarity is not fat/obese. And the mane cast are not crude or swears. In fact, swearing doesn't exist in the show. And as for how he portrayed Discord? That is not how he looks or acts. Also, it has been said that he'll make four more.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 04:39PM EST

It's the quality and how the mane cast is portrayed. They're not like their usual selves. I might not have seen the recent one or all of the last one but from what I've seen, they're like distorted and corrupted version of themselves. Rarity is not fat/obese. And the mane cast are not crude or swears. In fact, swearing doesn't exist in the show. And as for how he portrayed Discord? That is not how he looks or acts. Also, it has been said that he'll make four more.

I'm thinking it's just the creator using Juvenalian satire. Its supposed to be abrasive, garish and corrupted. That's the humor. Its also ironic because MLP uses Horatian satire (a light-hearted, mild type of humor). Its just like the community's fascination with grimdark. Its alright to not like something because it doesn't appeal to you. Just recognize that media's accomplishments and character.

Sauce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire#Juvenalian

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 04:50PM EST

Well, it's a parody, so it's not expected to be taken so seriously. They're only portrayed like they are for comedic effect. I find that the contrast with the actual show is what makes them so funny. If you don't find it funny, that's fine (like I said earlier, you're definitely not alone there), but I still don't see why you should find them offensive or anything. It's not like these cartoons have any effect on the original show, so the characters you love will still remain intact.

Also, what Badsitrep said.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 04:53PM EST

So let me ask this. How can I ignore something as popular and huge as the .mov mlp parodies especially since a stready stream of gifs from them are added to the image gallery?

Simple: You can't! (.jk, I would recomend the same treatment as R34, if you don't like it, just try to ignore)

But about tomorrow's episode, It's unlike that Spike will be taken out from the show. He is an important character as much as the "mane" ones, and getting rid of him woud be just pointless. Twilight will just find some way to bring him back. I also expect some Godzilla or King Kong reference (though Ponyville doesn't have a building tall enough for the famous scene).
__________________________________________________________________________________

@Connor: Sorry, was testing the HTML for pic to link, but ended up screwing up with the url's.

@Dac
Yes, Megasweet is one of my favourites too (her Fluttershy is relevant to my interests as you can see), but some of her stuff makes me wanna puke.

@Nintendork
Don't be sorry. You only seemed to be trying to understand something hard for you to comprehend. It happens.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:16PM EST

I'd just like to say I'm sorry for dumping all that on you guys last night.
Blue Screen and Verbose seemed to get my problem, though it feels like the rest just thought I was being nit-picky (which, by definition, I was not; nit-picky is being too concerned with insignificant things; canon and sense are significant to me).
I know it's just a cartoon, and I shouldn't take it too seriously, and that I should just ignore it if I don't like it, but it's hard too when it's reached this level of internet popularity. It's like Ideological's problem with the .mov series (which I found funny, actually), but on a bigger scale.
I really do want to like this show. I just don't know where to start, and how to stop being too concerned about things making sense. I can't "go with it" like others can.

Nintendork64 wrote:

Blue Screen and Verbose seemed to get my problem, though it feels like the rest just thought I was being nit-picky (which, by definition, I was not; nit-picky is being too concerned with insignificant things; canon and sense are significant to me).
I know it's just a cartoon, and I shouldn't take it too seriously, and that I should just ignore it if I don't like it, but it's hard too when it's reached this level of internet popularity. It's like Ideological's problem with the .mov series (which I found funny, actually), but on a bigger scale.
I really do want to like this show. I just don't know where to start, and how to stop being too concerned about things making sense. I can't "go with it" like others can.

But in the whole scheme of things, It is insignificant. Even if its important to you, its still nitpicking.
No offense, its just that whenever you comment, my face is like this

Its really just going to be impossible to like this cartoon or any other if you keep thinking that way. Also, I don't think its at all comparable to Ideo not liking .Mov.

Nintendork64 wrote:

I don't think much of it. Don't sweat it.

All I could suggest is slowly exposing yourself to shows with obvious inconsistencies…not even exclusively from FiM. Had most of us grown-up without those cartoons, we'd probably feel the same way.

Also, some of us will talk any issue, great or small, into the ground if you let us. So discussion around here (and maybe other places, but I don't trust other forums) might help you adjust to the show.

@dac-attack Well, me and ideological are both upset about things that are more common on this site then we'd like. Similar problem.
And if being bothered by something that is important to you can be considered nitpicking, what is nitpicking, then?
Also, please don't make me feel like I'm stupid, Dac. Really. That just hurts. I'm trying to like the show like you guys, you should be flattered, rather than just putting me down because I think differently. If it's really so obviously good that you're using that reaction image, then you should be able to get me to like it.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:30PM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

@dac-attack Well, me and ideological are both upset about things that are more common on this site then we'd like. Similar problem.
And if being bothered by something that is important to you can be considered nitpicking, what is nitpicking, then?
Also, please don't make me feel like I'm stupid, Dac. Really. That just hurts. I'm trying to like the show like you guys, you should be flattered, rather than just putting me down because I think differently. If it's really so obviously good that you're using that reaction image, then you should be able to get me to like it.

Nintendork, this doesn't seem like the kind of show you would like. Don't try and force yourself to like it. Like I've said many a time, it's not everyone's thing.

Nintendork64 wrote:

Im not saying you are stupid, but I can't at all agree with you either. Im just telling you that if it really bothers you as much as you say it does, that you might as well not watch cartoons( and even a lot of comedies) No need to get so defensive. Just wondering, why should i feel flattered? If you like the show, good for you, if not, oh well. I don't think we as a community are dependent on everyone converting. Its fine for you to think however you want, I don't think you are dumb. You are just way too nitpicky for cartoons is all.

Also, don't down vote because someone does not agree with you. Ive never down voted your comments and I don't agree with your comments. I don't even down vote in retaliation.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:38PM EST

Sandwichman wrote:

EDIT:

coughPokemoncough

Cite wrote:

Nintendork, this doesn't seem like the kind of show you would like. Don't try and force yourself to like it. Like I've said many a time, it's not everyone's thing.

Yeah, I know, but I'm just not willing to accept that for some reason… It's one of those things that's probably going to continue frustrating me until it dies down. And I've seen so many bronies say that "you will be assimilated" or convinced that "everyone will like the show", that I guess I've kind of come to believe that. People seem so sure that this is such a good show, often saying it's better than anything else on television now, and I just want to ride the wave of it's popularity.
I believe that it's a good show. I just don't see it.
@dac-attack I downvoted your comment because it felt like you were calling me a idiot. And seriously, what is nitpicking if being concerned about something that is important to you can be considered nitpicking?

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:44PM EST

Well I seem to have missed an interesting discussion. I am disappoint, and I'm also too busy (or in other words lazy) to go back and try to make sense of it so I can share my thoughts. Oh well, such is the curse of finals. …AAAAND back to studying.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:40PM EST

badsitrep wrote:

I really hate those FYI…

I always get tripped up thinking that they are something entertaining, usually (since I wear headphones) my brain just explodes.

I finally caught myself before it started… Otherwise I'd be scraping my brains off the ceiling.

How ever Spike is to important to get ride of, he's like Kenny(South Park) he may be treated horrible but we just cannot get ride of him and if we do. He will surely come back.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:51PM EST

@dac

Personally, I didn't downvote you, because I disagreed with you. I don't disagree with you. I downvoted you because you're being needlessly antagonistic. There's taking the other side of an argument, and there's being insulting.

Your argument is no longer an argument, so much as it sounds like a personal insult on his view of the world and entertainment. If he could change it (even outside of FiM,) then I'm sure he would.

No offense, its just that whenever you comment, my face is like this (image)
Its really just going to be impossible to like this cartoon or any other if you keep thinking that way.

#citation and Daniel believe like you do, as do I, but it hasn't been something to offend.

I believe that #citation hit the nail on the head: it's doesn't seem like it's going to work out. But he recognizes that difficulty and wants to try to "overcome" it.

As such, I suggested some slow, outside of FiM cartoon exposure. Once he can enjoy those shows enough, he may be able to enjoy FiM. But starting with FiM (because ponies no longer seems to be the "problem") may be too much inconsistency to start with.

#citation

Whose videos were those? Xyro? The source we used for the last SynchTube?

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 05:57PM EST

Verbose wrote:

@dac

Personally, I didn't downvote you, because I disagreed with you. I don't disagree with you. I downvoted you because you're being needlessly antagonistic. There's taking the other side of an argument, and there's being insulting.

Your argument is no longer an argument, so much as it sounds like a personal insult on his view of the world and entertainment. If he could change it (even outside of FiM,) then I'm sure he would.

Its really just going to be impossible to like this cartoon or any other if you keep thinking that way.

#citation and Daniel believe like you do, as do I, but it hasn't been something to offend.

I believe that #citation hit the nail on the head: it's doesn't seem like it's going to work out. But he recognizes that difficulty and wants to try to "overcome" it.

As such, I suggested some slow, outside of FiM cartoon exposure. Once he can enjoy those shows enough, he may be able to enjoy FiM. But starting with FiM (because ponies no longer seems to be the "problem") may be too much inconsistency to start with.

#citation

I don't think it was antagonistic, but fair enough. Mabye it was, thats just my way of expressing myself sometimes. I wasn't trying to be mean, Im just trying to say that yes the show is good, but its not for everyone, especially when you don't like cartoons in the first place.

He could try hey arnold I guess to try to expose him self more to cartoons, but for MLP FIM its a prerequisite to be able enjoy cartoons.

Verbose wrote:

@dac

#citation

Water under the bridge. For me anyways

Verbose wrote:

#citation

Frankly, I have no idea. But still, it sucks. Just let us poni in peace!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!