Forums / Discussion / General

232,721 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General III: This time, it's personal

Last posted Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2011 at 07:41PM EDT
9915 posts from 105 users

I have a question, do you all think of Steven Magnet as the greedy type? We all saw he was pretty big, but he didn't seem greedy, then again he was preoccupied with his moustache. Do you guys think sea serpents grow differently than other dragons? On the subject of dragons, not many seem to inhabit the land around Ponyville and Canterlot. Why do you all think that is? Would there be a reason for them to inhabit the rest of the world but avoid those places? Another question I just came to, is Equestria the name of the country? Or maybe the continent?

Edit: And Page Get… FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 02:40AM EST

Dac wrote:

Shit, I don't know. How about what the hearths warming episode is gonna be like. What do you think the play is gonna be about. I hope it isn't the story from teacher for a day. That was lame.

lol i dont even know what warhammer 40k is lol

But it's hard to say, really. We know bits and pieces about Equestria's backstory from the first episodes of each of the two seasons. And there is the potential of the Teacher for a Day app being canon as it was an official product.

Chew on this though: if this is about the origins of Equestria, then this maybe part of Lauren Faust's creation of Equestria. She's set up a really interesting and vibrant universe so far. If this is coming from her original concept of Equestria along with how well Studio B can execute her original plans and tone of the show, then I can't help but think it'll be as interesting as the Nightmare Moon and Discord mythologies.

Then again, Jayson Thiessen may be taking it to another level that Lauren never thought about much. I think this is going to rely heavily on the writer. Not only will they be highly responsible for the plot of the episode itself, but they are establishing a hard canon by which the rest of the episodes that refer to the past must abide for a baseline of internal consistency. A globe implies that the world of ponies isn't flat and that it's mostly water like Earth, but that's not necessarily canon as it is a prop. But you can't have a background episode like this without adhering to it all of the time (like Cutie Mark Chronicles.)

tl;dr
I don't know what they'll do, but I have full faith that like all of the other episodes that established canon (pilot episodes, The Return of Harmony, Cutie Mark Chronicles,) the information will be as interesting as its execution. Both of which I have high hopes for.

@ Verbose
Im calling it, they will completely change the origins of equestria from the teacher app considering that that story had little substance to it. Im also thinking we will see some of the origins of celestia and luna. Im pretty good at calling these things so take everything I say as law!

@ Iambob
I don't think they are the same as far as greed goes, or more likely the writers weren't even thinking about this when they made the episode.

I found this shit too! Shark week with ponies I guess.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 02:49AM EST

OMG discussion!
I don’t care what they do as long as it is awesome. There are also Christmas trees involved in Hearth’s Warming Eve (screenshots).
But I really have no idea what I want or what to expect other than pure unfiltered AWESOMENESS!!!

Story, y u so hard to write. All I need to do is finish up some causality and details then I can resubmit to /fic/ for grammar and writing device review, then to EqD! Not tomorrow though (probably) the mountain of essays and vocabulary and maps are calling my name… better get to sleep and dream of being Lyra.

I once had a dream where I was Celestia inside of minecraft getting sucked into a portal and then having to build an elaborate trap of some kind… My brain derps on herpsdays.

Now enough of my ramblings! Goodnihg!

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 02:51AM EST

Erin ◕ω◕ wrote:

OMG discussion!
I don’t care what they do as long as it is awesome. There are also Christmas trees involved in Hearth’s Warming Eve (screenshots).
But I really have no idea what I want or what to expect other than pure unfiltered AWESOMENESS!!!

Story, y u so hard to write. All I need to do is finish up some causality and details then I can resubmit to /fic/ for grammar and writing device review, then to EqD! Not tomorrow though (probably) the mountain of essays and vocabulary and maps are calling my name… better get to sleep and dream of being Lyra.

I once had a dream where I was Celestia inside of minecraft getting sucked into a portal and then having to build an elaborate trap of some kind… My brain derps on herpsdays.

I could have sworn I saw that same statement from Berry Punch, then it disappeared and you posted it up. I must be really sleepy. I guess I'll be heading to bed soon.

Edit: @Dac: I figured they weren't thinking of it. I just wanted to see if anyone would be able to come up with a logical way that it would fit without having to resort to creative blunder.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 03:16AM EST

Erin ◕ω◕ wrote:

OMG discussion!

but what do the trees represent? are they suposed to be fluttershy effigies for them to worship?

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I could have sworn I saw that same statement from Berry Punch, then it disappeared and you posted it up. I must be really sleepy. I guess I'll be heading to bed soon.

Edit: @Dac: I figured they weren't thinking of it. I just wanted to see if anyone would be able to come up with a logical way that it would fit without having to resort to creative blunder.

Crappy logins be derpin up our internetzzzz…
No really goodnight, i can see butterflies on the ceiling.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I figured that you figured that, Im just not really in the sate of mind to come up with something gthe t would make much sense. I guess we could just assume he isn't a dragon and spike is a dragon, so they aren't the same.
Not revenant to what I said, but funny anyways

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 02:58AM EST

Dac wrote:

@ Verbose
Im calling it, they will completely change the origins of equestria from the teacher app considering that that story had little substance to it. Im also thinking we will see some of the origins of celestia and luna. Im pretty good at calling these things so take everything I say as law!

@ Iambob
I don't think they are the same as far as greed goes, or more likely the writers weren't even thinking about this when they made the episode.

I found this shit too! Shark week with ponies I guess.

Did you read the updated episode synopsis? Cuz they didn't.

Besides, "Three conflicting races of equines forced together by a great winter" isn't a bad backstory. It's not like they went into much detail in the app, so there's a great deal to expand on. What, do you think you can come up with something better that's kid-friendly and still can be classified as a holiday episode?

@Verbose

You type too much

@dac

You do have a pretty good track record in predicting things, if I remember properly. I'd like to believe you're right. When Luna and Celestia overcame Discord, they came to rule Equestria. But I'd also like to believe that the integration of the pony races would be included too. If that's the case, then the question would be about chronological order. When did Discord come to power, and when did the races first integrate? Was Equestria an established concept before Discord's rule? Before the Sisters' rule?

WHO KNOWS.

Gigatoast wrote:

Besides, "Three conflicting races of equines forced together by a great winter" isn't a bad backstory. It's not like they went into much detail in the app, so there's a great deal to expand on. What, do you think you can come up with something better that's kid-friendly and still can be classified as a holiday episode?

I prefer the story where the three equine races are forced into a frozen ice cave due to the terrible winter. And slowly the ponies go mad, as the cold and the hunger eats away at their mentality. Soon enough, the three races are at each others' throats in a battle for equine dominance. As the fallen are skinned for blankets, their meat cooked for food, the remains used to light their fires. All leading to the ultimate lesson the ponies can learn, below the almighty alicorns there is another hierarchy. One in which the unicorns are dominant, the pegasi, below them thanks to their flight. As for the earth ponies, with no nutrition or special abilities, they suffered the most. Because of this suffering, their struggle wasn't a great one. Thus forever cementing them on the bottom of the hierarchy, below any other equine race. This created the natural order that Equestria follows today.

This is all speculation, of course.

Edit: Geez, drowsiness makes me a piss poor grammar nazi.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 03:21AM EST

Gigatoast wrote:

Jesus, I can't state my opinion? Im just saying I would like something a little more interesting. as it stands, Its a little bland and has nothing to do with Celestia and luna. Anyways, It was just an app for the iPhone, they will most likely change it. They changed ulnas look, Spikes grown up look and a couple other things Im sure.
"What, do you think you can come up with something better that’s kid-friendly and still can be classified as a holiday episode?"
About that, I can't make a script for a movie, film it, or act in one, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it if I don't like the movie. Same deal here. Its not awful, Id just like something more interesting

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I prefer the story where the three equine races are forced into a frozen ice cave due to the terrible winter. And slowly the ponies go mad, as the cold and the hunger eats away at their mentality. Soon enough, the three races are at each others' throats in a battle for equine dominance. As the fallen are skinned for blankets, their meat cooked for food, the remains used to light their fires. All leading to the ultimate lesson the ponies can learn, below the almighty alicorns there is another hierarchy. One in which the unicorns are dominant, the pegasi, below them thanks to their flight. As for the earth ponies, with no nutrition or special abilities, they suffered the most. Because of this suffering, their struggle wasn't a great one. Thus forever cementing them on the bottom of the hierarchy, below any other equine race. This created the natural order that Equestria follows today.

This is all speculation, of course.

Edit: Geez, drowsiness makes me a piss poor grammar nazi.

Eventually, humanity discovered Equestria and prized Pegasi feathers and Unicorn Horns. Having no need for Earth ponies, they left them alone while they harvested the other strains of ponydom for their unique physical appendages, eventually leading to rule by Earth Ponies as they were the only ones left.

You know what they say, the nail that sticks out gets hammered down! :D

burning_phoneix wrote:

Eventually, humanity discovered Equestria and prized Pegasi feathers and Unicorn Horns. Having no need for Earth ponies, they left them alone while they harvested the other strains of ponydom for their unique physical appendages, eventually leading to rule by Earth Ponies as they were the only ones left.

You know what they say, the nail that sticks out gets hammered down! :D

Shush. We musn't reveal our plans yet. It'll be the ultimate surprise attack once we invade. Isn't that right, my top military advisor?

Dac wrote:

Jesus, I can't state my opinion? Im just saying I would like something a little more interesting. as it stands, Its a little bland and has nothing to do with Celestia and luna. Anyways, It was just an app for the iPhone, they will most likely change it. They changed ulnas look, Spikes grown up look and a couple other things Im sure.
"What, do you think you can come up with something better that’s kid-friendly and still can be classified as a holiday episode?"
About that, I can't make a script for a movie, film it, or act in one, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it if I don't like the movie. Same deal here. Its not awful, Id just like something more interesting

Hey, give the canon some credit, Luna had less then a minute of screen time and only one freakin' line in season one, and Spike's "grown up" look was even less cemented.

Anyway, I can guarantee you the episode was written months before the app was made. Most likely the app creators went up to Studio B and asked "hey, we're doin' this app thing, you got any ideas on how this 'Equestria' place was founded?" to which Studio B game them an abbreviated version of the story they had concocted.

How do I know? Because listening to the app sounded a bit like listening to a pre-school teacher reciting "The Lord of the Rings" to her class. Just a bit too sophisticated then the medium called for.

And of corse it's going to involve Celestia and Luna, possibly getting into how they came to be. I'm more hoping for at least a mention of Discord though.

Hey there Dddrgn. This is the pony general, we discuss all things pony in this thread. The days tend to be small discussions with images. The nights tend to be long winded discussions. Feel free to come and go as you please.

Edit: As you may have realized, we're not all too sane here. I'm kidding, we just enjoy our discussions. Although, I do recall that someone had a theory in which lack of sleep seems to drain my sanity. Looking at my previous posts, I think they may be right.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 03:25AM EST

Dddrgn wrote:

Is this a pony thread my eye spies? Perhaps I shall have fun in the sun with more ponyfolk.

Welcome! We like-a teh poniez. Jump right in. I am Verbose, resident teal deer. Feel free to ignore anything I type exceeding three sentences.

I was just going to say about Iambob's post "Is that you, burning_phoneix?" But I didn't think that required a post, so I just thumbed it up.

And then there was burning_phoneix.

Gigatoast wrote:

Hey, give the canon some credit, Luna had less then a minute of screen time and only one freakin' line in season one, and Spike's "grown up" look was even less cemented.

Anyway, I can guarantee you the episode was written months before the app was made. Most likely the app creators went up to Studio B and asked "hey, we're doin' this app thing, you got any ideas on how this 'Equestria' place was founded?" to which Studio B game them an abbreviated version of the story they had concocted.

How do I know? Because listening to the app sounded a bit like listening to a pre-school teacher reciting "The Lord of the Rings" to her class. Just a bit too sophisticated then the medium called for.

And of corse it's going to involve Celestia and Luna, possibly getting into how they came to be. I'm more hoping for at least a mention of Discord though.

We will see. Im still calling that It will be different. And I haven't been wrong yet. LOLOL

Verbose wrote:

Welcome! We like-a teh poniez. Jump right in. I am Verbose, resident teal deer. Feel free to ignore anything I type exceeding three sentences.

I was just going to say about Iambob's post "Is that you, burning_phoneix?" But I didn't think that required a post, so I just thumbed it up.

Nah, read the edited text in my post above yours. I believe it was nukefire who observed that I tend to go insane during the nights. Also, this isn't the first random, evil story I've made about the ponies. I made one about fluttershy and another about something else.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I have a question, do you all think of Steven Magnet as the greedy type? We all saw he was pretty big, but he didn't seem greedy, then again he was preoccupied with his moustache. Do you guys think sea serpents grow differently than other dragons? On the subject of dragons, not many seem to inhabit the land around Ponyville and Canterlot. Why do you all think that is? Would there be a reason for them to inhabit the rest of the world but avoid those places? Another question I just came to, is Equestria the name of the country? Or maybe the continent?

Edit: And Page Get… FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!

Sea Serpents are closely related to Dragons in my headcanon so they would have the same maturity process. Steven Magnet could be just as greedy as all his other dragon compatriots, the fact he made such a huge deal over losing some facial hair could be a hint towards that. Greedy people hate losing things, especially if you lost maturity due to that.

However he just has a different, friendlier personality compared to say: the dragon that nearly filled Ponyville with smoke (I forget the episode name) that sort of masks his greedy intentions

Why Steven didn't try to rob the mane 6 at that time could just be that the mane 6 had nothing of value.

As for the subject of why few Dragons inhabit the land, well I refer back to that episode (dammit, whats it called?) where the Dragon was immediately evicted by the mane 6 as soon as he arrived. Obviously Dragons are not really welcome near Pony settlements in the first place. That could explain why the Ponyville Vets/doctors had never seen a Dragon before and Twilight had little literature on them

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 04:47AM EST

Question: I was going to add search results for "My Little Pony" to the google results on the pony page but it skewed the results by much more than I was anticipating. Should I do it anyways? It would show just how much of an influence bronies are, but would scale down the mlpfim results.

The difference:

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 05:49AM EST

Verbose wrote:

Whenever anyone mentions war, my "wardar" activates and I home into the thread to proclaim the inevitable victory of humanity.

The International, shall be the human race!

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Question: I was going to add search results for "My Little Pony" to the google results on the pony page but it skewed the results by much more than I was anticipating. Should I do it anyways? It would show just how much of an influence bronies are, but would scale down the mlpfim results.

The difference:

As long as you keep the other searches in as well, I don't see why not.

> mfw everyone posts drunk

I had a bit too much to drink last night too, but luckily I had the sense to make just one post in the drunk thread and leave it at that.

@Dddrgn

Hi, welcome to the thread and the site! Feel free to join any conversations you like, but try to avoid posting ponies outside this thread or the MLP articles. It tends to generate hate in other areas of the forums.

Dddrgn wrote:

Is this a pony thread my eye spies? Perhaps I shall have fun in the sun with more ponyfolk.

Hullo there.
What Algernon said. Don't post ponies (or even mention them in passing) outside of the forum because people downvote them because they're annoyed by them or something EVEN THOUGH I'M ANNOYED BY ALL THE K-ON OR WHATEVER THE F**K THAT ANIME IS THAT'S ALWAYS BEING POSTED I DON'T DOWNVOTE THEM people find it annoying.
If you couldn't tell, I'm the resident ass of the thread.

@Algernon:

Just in case you didn't read my previous post, using Ad Block Plus will prevent ads from appearing on HaxMega's stream.

It appears that out of all the caped outfits, Fluttershy's is becoming the most popular. I can see why: It's the hood that really makes it, and it's also very reminiscent of Snow White. Here's a piece by Solar Slash.

Dude might just do the best eyes in the fandom.

Patina wrote:

i finally uploaded my pony art…. how do i insert a picture here?

The easiest way is to put the image URL between two exclamation points.

! http://img.ponibooru.org/images/d6ab5abb45b6abcfd4e81b30a66255e4/65916%20-%20animated%20dance_dance_revolution%20dancing%20DDR%20discorded%20flutterbrute%20fluttershy%20stepmania%20twilightsparkle.gif!

Becomes this when you remove the space at the beginning:

Awesome gif is awesome.

@burning_phoneix

Thanks for the tip, I'll get that downloaded now.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 11:02AM EST

Guess whose back from vacation, and I saw the Spike centric episode. Though I have to wonder if all dragons are like that, or if it's just Spike, cause if it's all dragons, wouldn't they grow to a ridiculously huge size if they gather a lot of stuff?

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Hey guys, trying not to get off the current topic, but my CoD ELITE Clan is open for business.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/clan/view/464080 or type in "Int. Bronies" in the ELITE search bar for clans.

=] Greatly appreciate it if you could join to we can raise the level of our clan. Thanks!

inb4codfag
inb4battlefieldisbetter. It's not.

Skyler the Destroyer wrote:

Hey guys, trying not to get off the current topic, but my CoD ELITE Clan is open for business.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/clan/view/464080 or type in "Int. Bronies" in the ELITE search bar for clans.

=] Greatly appreciate it if you could join to we can raise the level of our clan. Thanks!

inb4codfag
inb4battlefieldisbetter. It's not.

We would rather you not advertise your darn clan in this thread and i also think BF3 is better i'm not saying CoD is really bad i do have alot of CoD games
Edit: ok i can guess the person below me gave me bad karma well advertiseing is not allowed on this website

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 01:43PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Riyku wrote:

We would rather you not advertise your darn clan in this thread and i also think BF3 is better i'm not saying CoD is really bad i do have alot of CoD games
Edit: ok i can guess the person below me gave me bad karma well advertiseing is not allowed on this website

Noted.

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

The difference:

I'd say don't.

The page is about FiM, not MLP in general. When I google for FiM, I usually start with "Friendship is Magic" and don't even add "My Little Pony", this way it won't add the previous generations.

So perhaps instead of "My Little Pony", add "Friendship is Magic".

A new member!?
Have a list of all our mini-bios: here.

Anypony want some pony?

Have some Fleur standing next to Fluttershy.

Discussion piece. Were Celestia and Luna born with their cutie marks as signs they were going to be rulers (DO WANT in new episode) and is Luna's cutie mark a moon or the moon surround by the inkblot (so is her coat two colors without the cutie mark)?

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 02:34PM EST

Those are some good points Connor.

Biologically speaking, I would be hesitant to say that Luna and Celestia were born with cutie marks. Such a thing couldn't happen. And even though Equestria is under hereditary rule, I think that, given the nature of the show, it would be unlikely that every pony born to the ruling family would be destined to lead. Cutie marks represent one's true calling, and let's face it, not every-one-pony is a leader.

As for Luna's mark, it seems to me that it consists of the moon and the "inkblot," but I think that it's supposed to be a representation of the night sky, not ink.

Ahhh!!! I'm driving myself insane thinking of whats going to happen.

I like this grimdark interpretation even though it will never get into the show

But there are no other alicorns also. They are special even if they weren't born with their cutie marks, but I think they were. (How painful would it be to birth a unicorn, derrrrr…)
But what ponies have cutie marks that cover almost all of their flank?
Are there any ponies (not counting Zecora) that have patterned coats?

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 03:10PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!