Forums / Discussion / General

168,567 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General III: This time, it's personal

Last posted Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2011 at 07:41PM EDT
9915 posts from 105 users

Well, it’s been a great six hours, but my cognitive function is currently collapsing, therefore I will go to bed. You guys are legends. Don’t forget to help yourselves to a Debate Club badge off my profile (if you so wish).

I hereby claim this page in the name of the Debate Club.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:20AM EST

I hear you opspe. I wasn’t entirely sure if my arguments were intelligible but since none of you complained, I’m going to assume I did well. But now I think I’ll get some well deserved rest. Thank god I have tomorrow off, I think I’m gonna sleep in a bit. If any arguments or discussions arise, feel free to discuss without me (assuming anyone else will be here). I’ll read over them when I get back and throw in my opinion in tomorrow nights meeting.

Edit: Whoops, there goes my basic knowledge of spelling. Errors corrected, systems shutting down.

Edit2: As for the late night debate club badge, I’ll take the Derpy one. The Pinkie one is cute too, but I prefer to only have one, so I gotta go with Derpy.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 05:33AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 05:24AM EST

I love you guys. All that text in such a short period of time.

I’m gonna brew a cup of tea and read our glorious wall o’ text. No one can claim that the Pony Thread doesn’t contribute anything to KYM.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:23AM EST

Dammit, why do I keep forgetting to do this!? Might as well since the latest episode was Spike themed. I run a Spike tumblr, BAWSS Spike to be exact. Here’s an entry from a day ago:

It’s a thing I do when I’m not doing my comic or thinking about Leo’s where-abouts.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:28AM EST

Looks like people are calling it a day. It’s 12:30AM so time for me to sleep too I guess

I going to take a moment to read over page 190 myself. I’m actually proud of our creation.

In 4 hours, this thread will return to normal.

[edit]

@20% Cooler

So you do BAWSS Spike? Awesome

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 06:35AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 06:31AM EST

Drpepperfan #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

Holy crap, what’s with all the walls of text?

Ah. Of course.

NO! ITS ME. I STARTED THIS DEBATE NOT VERBOSE! ITS ME GODDAMIT PAY ATTENTION TO ME

Though I’m just gonna give my quick thoughts on the topics discussed:

Lyra/Bon Bon and Derpy/Carrot Top: Most likely, Lyra and BonBon were seen together many times whereas until Season 2, Derpy and Carrot Top were not. This allowed Derpy to gain a child (Dinky) which seemed to indicate that she was heterosexual. Add to that that comic that Verbose linked to and it stuck, back then the community was smaller so if something was passed around a lot and became popular, it would easily make it into the canon.

Homo debate: Considering that the vast, vast ,vast amount of shipping is F/F and not M/M (I haven’t seen anything outside of Caramac and even that is rare) it just seems normal considering the audience is mainly male (I mean, liking lesbians is normal hetero behaviour…right?). The lack of male characters can also contribute to this.

Characters that need episodes: Applejack and Scoots. No debate here.

Scootaloo’s Flying: It just seems to me since Dash grew up in Cloudsdale, she’d learn flying before Scoots (and let’s face it, Dash is incredibly talented) but think about it….Fluttershy was hitting the awkward puberty years and she was still a horrible flyer despite being in flight camp. In fact, Scootaloo’s ability on her Scooter means she’s most likely even better than Fluttershy at an even younger age.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 06:59AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 06:58AM EST

hey guys important question. i want to show an episode to my amigo in hopes he will become of it as well, what episode gives the best first impression and the will to watch some more?

at first i thought just to show the first episdoe but then i figured the beginning is very girly and makes the viewer hate it right away.
im thinking about mostly dragonshy and return of harmony.

any sggestions?

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:04AM EST

Jolly Jew wrote:

hey guys important question. i want to show an episode to my amigo in hopes he will become of it as well, what episode gives the best first impression and the will to watch some more?

at first i thought just to show the first episdoe but then i figured the beginning is very girly and makes the viewer hate it right away.

any sggestions?

Dragonshy was a great ep, but The Return of Harmony seemed a bit more serious at times (and, let’s face it, scary). It just depends on what kind of feel you want your friend to get of the show. I think either one should be fine though.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:13AM EST

>Wakes up.
>Sees Late Night Debate Club had its go.
>Sees suggestions for the next thread.

I’m just gonna make it “KYM Pony General IV: Potatoes Rule”, just to f*ck with all of you.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 09:18AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 09:17AM EST

aerolyt wrote:

Dragonshy was a great ep, but The Return of Harmony seemed a bit more serious at times (and, let’s face it, scary). It just depends on what kind of feel you want your friend to get of the show. I think either one should be fine though.

well i have fear for both:

dragonshy has a solid ending so the friend will be “it’s good but not worth my time, since you showed me the best episode”

on the other hand he will probebly want to see the second part of return of harmony but i think he won’t like it all… (because lets face it, it was a major dissapointment)

so what to choose?

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:24AM EST

Oh my Celestia, so much text. I got half way through in 20 minutes…

Thats enough text to kill a horse, oh wait… NOOOOOO!!!

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:30AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

>Wakes up.
>Sees Late Night Debate Club had its go.
>Sees suggestions for the next thread.

I’m just gonna make it “KYM Pony General IV: Potatoes Rule”, just to f*ck with all of you.

@JollyJew
Dunno what to tell you bro. If he’s really going to like it, I don’t think it’s going to matter all that much.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:30AM EST

Major Dissapointment? Says who?

Anyway, episodes I guess reccomending would be Dragonshy, possibly Party of One? (probably one of the best, but also one of the weirdest, same applies to Lesson Zero), Applebuck Season is generally considered the first chronologically pretty good episode in the series, perhaps Dog andPony Show, and yeah, Return of Harmony.

I also like Boast Busters for some unknown reason….

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 09:33AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 09:32AM EST

Major Dissapointment? Says who?

Anyway, episodes I guess reccomending would be Dragonshy, possibly Party of One? (probably one of the best, but also one of the weirdest, same applies to Lesson Zero), Applebuck Season is generally considered the first chronologically pretty good episode in the series, perhaps Dog andPony Show, and yeah, Return of Harmony.

I also like Boast Busters for some unknown reason….

oh great… more choises >_<

oh and by the way… i personally think boast busters was the worst episode of the show…

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:36AM EST

Jolly Jew wrote:

oh great… more choises >_<

oh and by the way… i personally think boast busters was the worst episode of the show…

Oh you had better not be talking smack about mai waifu biatch.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:41AM EST

Jolly Jew wrote:

any sggestions?

It depends on your friend, what kind of shows does he like?

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:45AM EST

opspe wrote:

Algy should be waking up, it’s 09:00 his time.

I’m on break. Mornings no longer exist for me, unless you count that stretch of time from midnight to 4am. I rarely get up before noon these days.

I don’t have much to add to those topics that wasn’t discussed already, but I thought I’d add some of my thoughts anyway.

New Thread Title

I quite liked ‘Pony General 4: Modern Warmare’, but apparently the internet hates CoD so I doubt that’ll get picked. I’m not a big Star Wars fan, so I don’t really like ‘A New Hope’ as a title. ‘Pony General IV: I Swear it’s the Last One!’ was pretty good. Alternatively, we could just go with another crappy movie subtitle like ‘Pony General IV: Pony’s Revenge’.

Lyra x Bon-Bon but not Derpy x Carrot Top?

I think Verbose made the best answer to this topic. Since Lyra and Bon-Bon were often seen together during some of the early episodes, everyone felt justified in pairing them together. Derpy was never seen in this sort of situation, so any possible relationships had to be decided upon by the fandom. The comic strip of Derpy and Carrot Top was pretty popular, and I assume it was a fanfic (or possibly many similar fanfics) that got her paired with Doctor Whooves. I think Dinky was made her daughter in fanfiction too, thanks to Dinky Doesn’t go to School and Today, Tomorrow and Forever (both of which are renowned sadfics that can be read in about 10 minutes. Check them out if you have the time).

Since Derpy has already been assigned these relationships, most people don’t consider pairing her off with anybody else. It seems a lot of people see her as a single mother, so it should be unsurprising that she’s rarely paired with another female character. I think her disability also gets in the way a bit, since people may have a hard time imagining a disabled person having a normal relationship with a normal person (which is pretty unfair really).

Of sexuality and bronies

I find it shocking that 9% would describe themselves as asexual. I was under the impression that asexuality was extremely rare. I imagine that many of those people would actually have some sexuality, but are trying to suppress it for some reason. There’s also a good chance that a lot of those votes were just jokes.

There’s not much I can add to this topic that hasn’t already been mentioned. I’ve never taken the time to explore the social sciences, so I can’t think of any convincing arguments as to why the brony fandom would have a higher-than-average proportion of homosexuals and bisexuals.

Things we’d like to see in the show

I’d quite like to see more character development from Applejack and Fluttershy, and possibly more from Pinkie too. I’m also hoping for a Scootaloo episode. Her obsession with Dash could make an interesting focus for an episode, as could her (apparent) inability to fly. Anything that adds some additional backstory to Equestria would be nice too.

I think it could be interesting if we had a Lower Deck Episode. There are plenty of interesting minor characters in the show, and it could be fun to see an episode based on them. For example, an episode the follows the princesses, or an episode that jumps between the lives of many background characters such as the Cakes or Big Mac (sort of like that ‘22 Short Films About Springfield’ episode in The Simpsons).

Pegasus flight topic

Wow, you guys really will discuss anything.

loljk, I’ve always assumed that Scootaloo is currently flightless, but only because of her age and/or location. She obviously has the potential to fly, considering the speed at which she can propel a scooter, cart and two fillies with those tiny wings of hers. Keep in mind that the only time in the show that fillies are seen flying is in ‘The Cutie Mark Chronicles’. Since no filly pegasi are seen flying in Ponyville, yet there are no flightless adult pegasi (as far as we know), it seems fair to assume that it just takes longer for them to learn on the ground. She’ll get there eventually.

Ninjacount: 10. And that’s not even during a hectic posting time. Bow down to your new tl;dr God!

@Jolly Jew
I’d go with ‘Return of Harmony’ (both parts). They seems to have the most mature humour of any episodes (and arguably the best overall), and Discord is a total bawws. If that doesn’t convert someone to bronydom, I don’t know what will.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 09:56AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 09:49AM EST

Pony General 4: Electric Boogaloo.

That was my initial thought as well.

Or possibly Pony General IV: Live Pony or Die Harder with a Vengeance .

Bruce Willis would be proud.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 09:57AM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 09:57AM EST

Algernon wrote:

Bow down to your new tl;dr God!

Nice try, the record is still 12. And I like the idea of a Lower Deck Episode too. Also I’m throwing my vote behind phoenix’s idea. Bruce Willis would be proud.

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:31PM EST

I’ll propose one Sparty said in an MSN convo once:

Pony General 4: Modern Warmare

See, it’s funny, because we go through these threads so fast, and there’s a new CoD every two weeks and ah forget it.
I didn’t come up with it, so blame Sparty if you hate it.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:28PM EST

Jolly Jew wrote:

well i have fear for both:

dragonshy has a solid ending so the friend will be “it’s good but not worth my time, since you showed me the best episode”

on the other hand he will probebly want to see the second part of return of harmony but i think he won’t like it all… (because lets face it, it was a major dissapointment)

so what to choose?

Personally, I thought return of harmony part 2 was fantastic. The only thing I heard people being disappointed about was how easily Discord went down, and even though rainbow dash’s power level is most likely well over 9000, the show’s not supposed to be like Dragon Ball Z so I’d say it really doesn’t matter. I know it’s just my opinion but I was laughing pretty much the whole way through.

Speaking of DBZ and Rainbow Dash

@cite

lol I think that’s great.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 03:36PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 03:36PM EST

Iamslow wrote:

Personally, I thought return of harmony part 2 was fantastic. The only thing I heard people being disappointed about was how easily Discord went down, and even though rainbow dash’s power level is most likely well over 9000, the show’s not supposed to be like Dragon Ball Z so I’d say it really doesn’t matter. I know it’s just my opinion but I was laughing pretty much the whole way through.

Speaking of DBZ and Rainbow Dash

@cite

lol I think that’s great.

Oh my god my favorite thing’s anime and ponies combined my mind is gonan explode if i see anymore

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:41PM EST

What’s this? I return several hours later and the discussions continue? I am proud people.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:43PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

Not my confession, but I agree with it on so many levels.
Seriously.

I used to turn my tv off whenever an MLP based commercial came on. Now I would die to see one air.

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:05PM EST

aerolyt wrote:

I used to turn my tv off whenever an MLP based commercial came on. Now I would die to see one air.

You love ponies.

There is no other answer.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 04:14PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 04:08PM EST

This is too good.

GOJIRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 04:56PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 04:56PM EST

Finally watched the ep. Sorry to say but it was Spike snicker that killed Spike.

Okay! Okay! It was a lame joke! Calm down, Spike.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 05:25PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 05:20PM EST

Alduin: But Spike. I am your father!!!

Spike: Thats…thats…IMPOSSIBRUUUUUU!!!
(If you don’t get the three references (well let’s exclude MLP because you already know that) then you dead to me).

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 06:18PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 06:10PM EST

Riyku wrote:

@Ric tesla and DPF
The troll king made a thread called the brony war’s And he used you two as character’s is it did he ask if he could do that?

He’s gonna do what with my character?

I’m risking my own reputation on this…But buck it!
Let him do it. I got low self esteem anyways so I won’t care if I get treated like crap or not in the video…

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:39PM EST

'Hip-Hop Legend' Lolstaz wrote:

Hey there guys!
Thought I’d link my new parody song .
Didn’t embed it as usual because that makes me feel like I’m forcing it on you guys.

That’s great work man. I would have brought the vocals up just a titch, but that’s just me.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:40PM EST

'Hip-Hop Legend' Lolstaz wrote:

Hey there guys!
Thought I’d link my new parody song .
Didn’t embed it as usual because that makes me feel like I’m forcing it on you guys.

Please, feel free to force it on us. I thought that was pretty damn impressive. Make sure it gets sent to EqD, it’s the sort of thing they’d post without hesitation.

Also, Foo Fighters are awesome. Just wanted to put that out there.

On the topic of the Troll King game, not sure if want. I’m not a big fan of roleplaying personally, even if I am roleplaying myself. I might join if things get interesting, but for now I’m content to just watch from a distance.

Edit: Never mind, his game just got derailed. Looks like it’s not happening after all.
Edit 2: Damn, ninja’d by the post below. That’s what I get for typing a message and forgetting to post it for a while.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 07:10PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 07:01PM EST

Algernon wrote:

On the topic of the Troll King game, not sure if want. I’m not a big fan of roleplaying personally, even if I am roleplaying myself. I might join if things get interesting, but for now I’m content to just watch from a distance.

Yeah, it’s been kinda derailed now. The sad thing is, I’m pretty sure Troll King was actually trying to make a fun thread for once and people ruined it.

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:05PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

Algernon wrote:

Yeah, it’s been kinda derailed now. The sad thing is, I’m pretty sure Troll King was actually trying to make a fun thread for once and people ruined it.

I agree. I feel sad too… I thought it was going to be fun and I feel a little bit about myself that I finally gotten involved in something fun. :D
Now I realize that I am like Zoidberg when this happened…

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:10PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

Algernon wrote:

It was doomed to happen. Cuz we all know who would win in the end.

AMIRITE!?!?

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:36PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

It was doomed to happen. Cuz we all know who would win in the end.

AMIRITE!?!?

Yep. Also I thrown our Intelligence into the water too along with the enemies. So both will have water damage and I strapped a little bomb too it I jacked from an engineer.

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:38PM EST

Riyku wrote:

@Ric tesla and DPF
The troll king made a thread called the brony war’s And he used you two as character’s is it did he ask if he could do that?

That thread just crashed and burned

Poor Troll King. Well actually no, I don’t feel sorry that his thread got derailed straight to hell. What did he think was going to happen? Not only do people not take TK seriously but they won’t take any thread featuring bronies seriously either.

I tried my best to keep up some form of RP, but in the end people started downvoting all RP posts so I deleted all my posts and bailed.

Dec 13, 2011 at 07:40PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Poor Troll King. Well actually no, I don’t feel sorry that his thread got derailed straight to hell. What did he think was going to happen? Not only do people not take TK seriously but they won’t take any thread featuring bronies seriously either.

I tried my best to keep up some form of RP, but in the end people started downvoting all RP posts so I deleted all my posts and bailed.

Lucky you can. I cannot because most of mine was over thirty minutes. So I cannot delete them.
Going to play Skyrim now!

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 07:44PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 07:44PM EST

I’m having the most fun ever. (Not really) I’m really tired from school and such. I can’t wait until vacation.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 08:08PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 08:03PM EST

Okay, that’s it.
I’m tired of this shit.
I’m a brony.
I get it. You don’t like the show. That’s fine.
That’s no reason to run around, declaring your hatred of this fanbase.
What? Because we like a certain TV show we’re somehow inferior to you?
How does that work?
And when we post a single pony picture we get hated to Hell and back, yet every stupid picture from K-ON! is loved with people declaring “lol she’z so kute kawaai waifu desu desu desu”.
I’m tired of it.
There’s nothing wrong with not liking the show.
There’s something wrong with professing how much you hate it and its fanbase members.
Seriously.
Grow up.
/rant

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:32PM EST

>Sees page 190
>Gets in

>Hits face on wall of texts

Where to start??

Ok, first: Just got back from my Public Speech Course graduation ceremony. Had to present one of my projects and did very well [insert Success Kid here] (but compared to the next guy who knew shit about his presentation and only did well cause he kept making jokes, yes, I was way better).

On Carrot Top X Derpy and Lyra X BonBon: Lyra and BonBon were seen quite often together, and some bronies found interresting to make them have a relationship. Derpy on the other hand was given a daughter, a housemate and an affair with the local Time Lord (all because of her cuteness if you ask me). These are just some of the different stories created by the fans based on what they see on the characters and the assumptions they take from that, what doesn’t make some more than interresting or deep.

New thread title: “A New Hope” would be too cliché I say. We should come up with something more original (though I have no ideas ATM)

Homo debate: Lack of males charcters. Nuff said. It’s typical to make all possible kinds of shippings with the characters of a show. If it has a more significant amount of female characters, it only means more F/F pairings. Just compare the shippings between, say, Naruto and Sailor Moon. It’s obvious that Sailor has the most female gay shippings because of the amount of female charcters. So yes, the gender ration in a show is crucial.

Things I’d like to see on an upcoming episode: A Scootaloo episode is all I ask. She’s the least developed of the CMC and deserved some screen time.

And with that said, I give my contribution of wall text to this thread.

Last edited Dec 13, 2011 at 08:38PM EST
Dec 13, 2011 at 08:37PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

I do say old chap, that was absolutely smashing! That’s the sort of grace and sophistication that all equines should aspire to! I applaud you for your post, good sir!

Blue Screen .esq wrote:

I suppose that’s what one should expect after spending one’s time causing a ruckus and making a nuisance of one’s self. Still, I say the chap deserves a second chance, and it’s rather unfortunate that some young hooligans should deny him that opportunity.

(Had way too much fun typing that)

Dec 13, 2011 at 08:46PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!