195,693 total conversations in 5,388 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General III: This time, it's personal

Last posted Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2011 at 07:41PM EDT
9,915 conversations with 105 participants

Caramel wrote:

To quote myself from forum 2:
1/4 of the thread used in 7 days? I’m so proud of you.

Come at me, Molestia!

Immolates sentries with sun power
Well… damn.

Anyways, what’s with all the panic over S3? We haven’t even gotten a quarter of the way through S2.

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:13PM EST

@nukefire: There are rumors that more writers are leaving the team for S3, increasing the likelihood of Hasbro screwing up everything great about the show. I don’t think Hasbro is above forcing resignations out of writers to replace them with writers who will make the show into a 30-minute toy commercial.

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:15PM EST

Ponies the Anthology is the best.

Daniel, you always know what to say.

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 11:33PM EST
Nov 09, 2011 at 11:31PM EST

I always ask this question and I never get a straight forward answer. Why do you guys like MLP so much. What in it makes it so great.

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:41PM EST

nukefire wrote:

Come at me, Molestia!

Immolates sentries with sun power
Well… damn.

Anyways, what’s with all the panic over S3? We haven’t even gotten a quarter of the way through S2.

Silly Engie, you forgot to upgrade those sentries, didn’t you?

Those giant eyes.

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 11:42PM EST
Nov 09, 2011 at 11:41PM EST

Ben Drowned! wrote:

I always ask this question and I never get a straight forward answer. Why do you guys like MLP so much. What in it makes it so great.

I don’t know why you can’t get an answer, but I’ll say this, the animations great, the music is great and the voice acting is great.

Keep in mind, this is for FiM though, not the previous generations.

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:44PM EST

Caramel wrote:

Ponies the Anthology is the best.

Daniel, you always know what to say.

Thanks. I just got back on a movie. I’m just wrapping out the last week of shooting so I won’t be on as much. But for now more Pinkiefied

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:50PM EST

otaku-sama wrote:

@nukefire: There are rumors that more writers are leaving the team for S3, increasing the likelihood of Hasbro screwing up everything great about the show. I don’t think Hasbro is above forcing resignations out of writers to replace them with writers who will make the show into a 30-minute toy commercial.

I wouldn’t think so either. From what I understand, their toy sales are bringing them enough to cover any deficits from the network. They may decide that they can still get viewership with different writers but increase toy sales, which is the point of Hasbro.

It’s interesting to toss around.

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:53PM EST

Ben Drowned! wrote:

HOLY CRAP! IT’S BEN!

Regarding your question, many of us like the show for different reasons. And some of us don’t even watch the show, they just enjoy the community. That in itself isn’t a straight answer, so let me tell you why I enjoy the show.

The show is a light hearted show about six characters (who happen to be magical talking horses) and the problems they constantly find themselves in. Many cartoons with the same premise (although not always six) have been made but not all of them to great success. This show in particular has some pretty good writing, that’s what draws me into it. The characters are also very likeable, although that’s my opinion as everyone has their own tastes. This is why I like the show. And honestly, it really doesn’t matter that the characters are ponies, they could be anything else and I think it would still be as good.

Edit: Like Ray said, this is for FiM. I can’t say anything about the previous generations since I’ve never seen them.

Last edited Nov 09, 2011 at 11:56PM EST
Nov 09, 2011 at 11:54PM EST

Ashki wrote:

I don’t know why you can’t get an answer, but I’ll say this, the animations great, the music is great and the voice acting is great.

Keep in mind, this is for FiM though, not the previous generations.

The characters are very solid and complex and remind me of characters from character driven anime like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh. Unlike some of my otaku cohorts, I prefer having driven characters over a driven plot, since having complex characters allows the viewer more chances to understand the characters, unlike shows like Dragon Ball Z or Naruto where the plot is the only thing keeping the show going.

MLP is not for everyone. The show is character driven rather than plot driven, making people who prefer having a grand story no enjoy as much. However, if you happen to like character-driven shows with mini plots that reveal their characters, I say you shouldn’t pass up watching MLP:FiM

Nov 09, 2011 at 11:55PM EST

Good God I’m fucking beast with the Forza 4 decal maker. Here is my almost finished Rarity, currently at 334 shapes.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:00AM EST

Caramel wrote:

And by “not happen on my watch” I mean that I will kill everyone in the world. So don’t let them do it, you life depends on it.

Now have creepy untoon Derpy.

Realistic, Me Gusta

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:02AM EST

Well goodnight everypony. If hasbro wants moar viewers they should just sign a deal with cartoon network or some other better known channel.

I also figured out that I make 8% of the post of all the posts in all pony threads. I only make up 1.5% of the 69 active users on these threads. I don’t know whether to be appoint or dissapoint with myself. I’m settling on appoint.

Have some derp…

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 12:14AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 12:08AM EST

Ben Drowned! wrote:

…aaaand I’m back in town just in time to make another long-winded, Verbose-eque, essaypost.

The question of why men got into FiM is really difficult to answer. As Dr. Raymond said earlier, good animation, writing, music, and voice acting are certainly important factors, but to me the answer is much more deep-seated. First of all you have to keep in mind that everyone is approaching the show with a different background and different reasons for watching, but I think that the reasons they get drawn in are more uniform.

In some ways it represents a nostalgia for when we were “young enough” to watch cartoons all the time without really thinking about them; the fact that the show contains a large amount of adult humour makes it enjoyable for older age groups as well as kids. This was lacking in previous incarnations.

It also seems that the themes brought up in the show make up a large part of its appeal. The characters interact just as humans would, and they make friends and join together to overcome challenges. It’s all very wholesome, which is something that isn’t present in most of the adult-oriented shows out there (think Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, etc). While those shows are certainly amazing in their own right, sometimes people feel the need for some good in their lives, or at least in their TV viewings.

Stemming from the wholesomeness is probably what I think of as the most complex of the reasons for bronydom. I think a lot about the one image on the ponyconfessions tumblr that said “MLP is the Main Reason I Didn’t Commit Suicide.” To me this demonstrates something that it seems like some (maybe many) bronies have in common: stressful lives, maybe lacking some aspect of social interaction, maybe looking from some escape from the dreariness of school or work. And in turning to MLP, they find the wholesome messages the show offers comforting and helpful in their lives.

People also tend to identify with the characters, either individually or collectively. This is more difficult to understand, mostly because the reasons people have are very diverse. One major theme seems to be that people wish their friends were like the mane characters, or at least that they were as good friends as the mane six are. Others see bits of themselves reflected in Twilight or Fluttershy, or aspire to be like Pinkie or RD, by which I mean they see good traits in the characters that they want to emulate in their lives.

So to answer your question, there’s no one answer. Personally, I like it because of its writing and storylines, as well as its animation (vectors FTW). I can’t say that it’s helped me through any dark spots, but there are plenty of people out there who can.

Enough essay now…I understand 100% if tl;dr.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:12AM EST

Ben Drowned! wrote:

That’s unfortunate. It’s a fair question.

I liked it because of the animation at first. I was floating on KYM one day and just happened to see a Pinkie Pie gif for the My Little Pony:FiM article. I thought that people were just taking images from the show because they happened to be appealing. Turns out that 4chan really started to watch the show according to the article.

I decided to watch the scene with Derpy Hooves (gray pony with blonde mane) where the show supposedly made a nod to the fan’s recognition of the character.

It was that interaction with a periphery demographic that intrigued me.

But to be brief (since I’m in a synchtube and am mid-episode,) I think it was something light, funny, and visually appealing. The characters were likable and the interactions were entertaining.

As to why I like the show and community so much, I think the show serves as a bit of an emotional boost during my days. And the community and the news of the show keeps me entertained.

It’s something that is new and interesting. I don’t think the show is the best show ever. But it is strangely addicting at first. And then interacting with people that like the same thing keeps you involved.

If you’re asking about the thread, that’s because it’s turned into a hybrid thread/chat. I don’t like that aspect of it, but Pimp Abra said it was fine, so there’s no need to force a change in the culture when the existence of the thread as sticked de facto can be ignored.

I have a more indepth theory that’s somewhere on Jolly Jew’s wall, but it’s too long to post here.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:12AM EST

Coontail Storm wrote:

Realistic, Me Gusta

Realistic Derpy is not as creepy as some of the other realistic things I’ve seen. Those things would give anybody nightmares, but the realistic Derpy? Not so much.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:17AM EST

@opspe

“some (maybe many) bronies have in common: stressful lives, maybe lacking some aspect of social interaction, maybe looking from some escape from the dreariness of school or work. And in turning to MLP, they find the wholesome messages the show offers comforting and helpful in their lives.”

I can attest to this part. I became a Brony pretty much because it cheered me up at a time where my life was pretty depressing. It adds color to my personality (being a blue screen all the time gets tiring)

I started watching the show purely to figure out why Guys watch the show in the first place and I was not that impressed by the animation and story, it is what I knew it would be; your average kids show. Not terrible but not groundbreaking either IMO

But I kept watching, the next episode, then the next… as cheesy as it was, I found it’s adorable and positive tone genuinely enjoyable.

I’m sure that plenty of other stories and shows out there could have the same effect but I guess MLP ended up doing the job purely because of its presence on the internet and its fandom.

That’s another thing: the fandom itself drew me in too. I bet for some Brony’s it is not about the show at all but what the fandom created around it. It’s pretty fascinating what the fandom has established so far in such a short amount of time.

(edit)

Oh and about that ‘realistic Derpy’, Her eyes look pretty glossy, I think she needs to see a doctor about those cataracts

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 01:13AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 01:09AM EST

Last post before I go to sleep.
I think of it like this: Many adults like other shows like Billy & Mandy or Dexters Lab for the same reasons they like MLP. The animation on MLP is OK (not great or groundbreaking like say ghost in the shell) but it’s a very simplistic clean look that a lot of people like. The stories are relevant at any age and has smart adult humor thrown in. The only downside is It’s marketed to little girls. The stigma wouldn’t be there if it was a boys show. I mean think about it none of us would be the same way about barbie. I don’t think I have a great answer as to why grown men like the show but I can tell you why I like it. Plain and simple the image macros. Creating something fun and funny gives me a good feeling. As far as the image macros that come out of the show, there is something about taking a children’s show and making it funny, dirty, NSFW, scary and foul mouthed.
TL;DR Good night

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:23AM EST

Hello, my children.

Been like 7 pages since my last post. If I’m ever going to use my one, free tl;dr card, it’s going to be now. Give me a brief explanation of what has transpired in this thread since my last post, to get me up to speed.

I’d be forever grateful.

Also, for the people who are easily amused…

Rainbow Dash wants your soul.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 01:24AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 01:23AM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

That’s another thing: the fandom itself drew me in too. I bet for some Brony’s it is not about the show at all but what the fandom created around it. It’s pretty fascinating what the fandom has established so far in such a short amount of time.

I’ve actually read from someone you’ve described pretty well. I guess if I could simplify my reasoning:

I was “addicted” for the bright colors, funny voices, the deeper than expected humor, the nice morals…light things that made dull days and even depressing days easier.

The community, when I no longer needed that from FiM, was simply fun to be around. And it’s nice to be zealous about something that’s completely innocent and fun with other people who are also zealous about it.

@Daniel Vazquez
Mah respect. Well, more of it. And THIS explains a lot of what I didn’t.

Also, this thread could use a few more images.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 01:31AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 01:28AM EST

Wow. After reading the most recent Pony Confessions (the good ones, that is), I actually found myself posting some of my confessions on the comments section of the MLP pics.

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:29AM EST

@Daniel Vazquez
Did you honestly just say a big budget anime with spliced in CGI has more impressive animation then a small studio making flash more detailed and expressive then traditional animation?

My 2D animation professor would find where you live and set your lawn on fire if you told him that.

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:37AM EST

@BSoD: Yes, this fandom is awesome, and I love alot of the stuff that’s been made for it. Particularly video games. If there’s one thing I love, it’s video games, and I’m always thrilled when a new FiM game or Rom Hack comes out.

That being said, it’s late, and I’m tired, so I think I best to be off.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 01:48AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 01:48AM EST

Ashki wrote:

@BSoD: Yes, this fandom is awesome, and I love alot of the stuff that’s been made for it. Particularly video games. If there’s one thing I love, it’s video games, and I’m always thrilled when a new FiM game or Rom Hack comes out.

That being said, it’s late, and I’m tired, so I think I best to be off.

I love fan games and video games. I just played Super Pinkie World 2 and couldn’t stop playing it for a while

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:57AM EST

Why I like the show? I would do a paragraph but some people think they can out TL;DR me, definately, sniff, definately. But i I have yet to meet man that can outcondense boolet…ed list.
Ahem, refrences aside:

• I’ve been a cartoon fan pretty much my whole life
  • I’ve always liked more kids oriented shows vs. some of the more adult oriented shows
  • I’ve always prefered light-hearted, cheerful things
  • The show manages to get the animation just right: clean, colorful (but not too much so)
  • Good voice acting
  • Catchy music
  • Humor: sometimes clever, sometimes slapstick, always entertaining
  • Memorable, likeable characters
  • It’s something extremely cheerful, and sorta adorable, which is a nice contrast to the stereotypical programs (and other forms of entertainment) of the demographic
  • The community is generaly nice, humorous, and creates some awesome fan stuff (art, music, games, mods for existing games, etc.)

Whew, list over. And about what opspe said about escape from the dreariness of school or work, that would probably be one of the reasons i like cartoons overall, not just exclusively mlp.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 03:06AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 02:59AM EST

I like the show mainly because it’s so damn cute and it makes me smile. It’s a nice change of pace from the gory and depressing kind of things that I like and it’s alot of fun being part of the community.

@Daniel Vazquez

I know what you mean about making macros, I especially enjoyed making this one.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 08:04AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 07:57AM EST

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that while it’s ok to have a few beers with friends from time to time, mixing Jack Daniel’s with SynchTube is a really, really bad idea. You may start posting your pointless drunken ramblings, or maybe you’ll just end up posting gibberish. You also might worry a lot of people when you pass out half way through the conversation. It’s good to know that your friends will stick around to help you, even when you don’t deserve it, but it’s wrong if your actions put them in that kind of situation to begin with.

Your faithful student,

Algernon

(P.S. Please hurry up and invent an anti-hangover spell. My chemistry lecture was unbearable this morning)

So, yeah… apologies to anyone who had to put up with me last night. It won’t happen again.

Ben Drowned! wrote:

My first exposure to the show was the MLP article on this site. I decided to check it out because I was interested in how it had become so popular. I liked it for its innocent humour, its high quality animation and its likable characters, but the community is what really drew me in. Sure, the show’s pretty great, but the community is easily the best I’ve seen on the internet. The quality of brony fanworks is unmatched, and yet they still manage to produce more than any other internet subculture. The people are also very friendly and accepting, which made integrating myself into the fandom very easy.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 09:15AM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 09:08AM EST

So much TL;DR, I don’t have time to read it now. Just get the thread back to normal. Love you guys!

Nov 10, 2011 at 09:32AM EST

Gigatoast wrote:

@Daniel Vazquez
Did you honestly just say a big budget anime with spliced in CGI has more impressive animation then a small studio making flash more detailed and expressive then traditional animation?

My 2D animation professor would find where you live and set your lawn on fire if you told him that.

I understand the difference between a big budget and a small budget studio ( remember I’m in the film industry ). A lot of people are saying the animation is great. Well it’s OK but not my opinion of great. I do however appreciate the simplicity of it and the bright color combinations.

Nov 10, 2011 at 09:55AM EST

Blue Yoshi wrote:

I love fan games and video games. I just played Super Pinkie World 2 and couldn’t stop playing it for a while

Heh, I can’t wait till Herooftime gets his next Rom Hack out. From what I read, he’s hacking Super Mario All-Stars next, which means that Pony Poki Panic is going to get a visual upgrade, though I wonder if he’ll change the characters around for it, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49AM EST

Blue Yoshi wrote:

I remember playing Super Pinkie World 2 I beat it in 10 minutes
and i still enjoyed it

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:27PM EST

Caramel wrote:

So much TL;DR, I don’t have time to read it now. Just get the thread back to normal. Love you guys!

You know you want to….

Nov 10, 2011 at 01:35PM EST

Contribootin’ to the funtime!

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:14PM EST

Ben Drowned! wrote:

You can basically also see this question as “Why do people love Pokémon?”.

Let it be the animation, the characters, the humor, the story, whatever. Every brony likes MLP for a different reason. Pokémon is also still like by people completely different than its target audience. In both cases some don’t even like the show that much, they just like the internet activity it gets. Maybe people just want to feel young again, who knows. If Pokémon started when the internet was as developt as now, who knows what it would have caused. I rather just have fun with both.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 03:23PM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 03:18PM EST

I really need to write more. I’ve been lazy as Hell with my story(s).

On another note, huh, this is my first non-pony avatar ever since I changed it from that weird Soldier thing I had when I first joined the site.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:23PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

On another note, huh, this is my first non-pony avatar ever since I changed it from that weird Soldier thing I had when I first joined the site.

I’ll allow it, but only because it’s so awesome.

What about the cheeto avatar I made for you?

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:34PM EST

Did I, like, scare the haters away in the 2nd thread?
I’m hardly on and there’s more in here then usual.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:34PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

I’ll allow it, but only because it’s so awesome.

What about the cheeto avatar I made for you?

I was only using that avatar through October. Breast Cancer Awareness month and all that.
Besides, I think the cheeto thing is kinda dumb.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:40PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

I was only using that avatar through October. Breast Cancer Awareness month and all that.
Besides, I think the cheeto thing is kinda dumb.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:44PM EST

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:45PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

Skyrim right? November, Y U have all the game releases so close together?!

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:51PM EST

Ashki wrote:

Skyrim right? November, Y U have all the game releases so close together?!

Skyrim indeed.
I also need to pick up Battlefield 3 (which I still don’t have) and, most importantly, Skyward mothaf**king Sword.

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:53PM EST

cmd+shift+3

Nov 10, 2011 at 03:57PM EST

Scooting Ideological Pie wrote:

I am unsure how to take a screencap on my macbrook pro.

opspe wrote:

cmd+shift+3

Alright guys, c’mon. This is exactly what we mean when we say the thread should slow down. Admittedly, Ray and I got a bit off topic, but Ideological posted something to learn what he easily could have just by Googling it.
This is a pony thread. Let’s keep it pony.

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 04:05PM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 04:02PM EST

CitationNeeded wrote:

Skyrim indeed.
I also need to pick up Battlefield 3 (which I still don’t have) and, most importantly, Skyward mothaf**king Sword.

U JELLY?

See how I brought that around, CitationNeeded?

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 04:09PM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 04:06PM EST

opspe wrote:

cmd+shift+3

Okay. Here’s the link:
http://www.4shared.com/photo/pRPAfIRt/Screen_shot_2011-11-10_at_4000.html

Alright guys, c’mon. This is exactly what we mean when we say the thread should slow down. Admittedly, Ray and I got a bit off topic, but Ideological posted something to learn what he easily could have just by Googling it.
This is a pony thread. Let’s keep it pony.

I’m sorry…..

Last edited Nov 10, 2011 at 04:11PM EST
Nov 10, 2011 at 04:08PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!