Forums / Discussion / General

170,898 total conversations in 5,488 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Mod AMA: Tomberry

Last posted Dec 19, 2012 at 01:06PM EST. Added Dec 05, 2011 at 09:11PM EST
60 posts from 27 users

Our database moderator Tomberry has agreed to do an “ask me anything” (AMA) thread.

For a quick intro: Tomberry is one of our most senior moderators to date, speaks fluent French and self-admittedly dislikes ponies. Post any questions you have for him here and he will answer as soon as he can!

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:11PM EST

How did you become a moderator? Seriously?

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:21PM EST

How did you initially become interested in meme research? What do you find rewarding about it today?

Dec 05, 2011 at 10:42PM EST

Do you like ponies? Who’s your favourite? Can we be pony friends?

Last edited Dec 05, 2011 at 11:36PM EST
Dec 05, 2011 at 11:34PM EST

Whats you’re favorite color of white?

Dec 05, 2011 at 11:44PM EST

As someone who was brought up in le french culture, what is one thing/idea/impression that you admire the most about American culture? What do you hate the most?

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:05AM EST

What’s your favorite meme?

What meme annoys the hell out of you (besides ponies, we already know that one)?

What’s your favorite website to surf other than KnowYourMeme?

What’s the most random french website you can think of to link to us?

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:40AM EST

Is there anything a Tonberry cleaver cannot cut?

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:40AM EST

I can’t imagine that you would completely kill off all ponies from the site (but then again, what do I know?) But if you had your way, how would you present the FiM main article/submemes/thread…what is “Tomberry’s Ideal KYM” like in reference to ponies?

Also, expressing interest in Brad’s question. I don’t get a chance to hear from people outside of the US about their take of the US.

I also find it interesting that mods and admins are asking just as many questions as newer users. So I’ll make a question out of that: How well do you know most of the mods here?

Last edited Dec 06, 2011 at 12:47AM EST
Dec 06, 2011 at 12:45AM EST

@Skitch the Wolf:

Here it is:

For Skitch the Wolf, what a strange name.
With all my kind friendship devoid of Magic.

Tomberry

@Alex:

I started by writing an entry about a song from an anime featuring drills, piercing through the heavens and, more importantly, fighting the powah. Because I tried my best at having a relatively well-written entry and was praised for it, I carried on with my work to the site as it became as enjoyable for me to add things as it was for users to read and comment on it.
A lot of stuff happened back then and, one day, the staff a that time decided that it was cool to allow some hard-working users to get a few extra titles and powers on the site. In other words, Jostin Asunction, Frektson, Blah-tan, Watcher, Fandroid, a few others and I became their slaves. The staff got paid while we were doing their mod job for free.
Actually, we’re still under their control even today.

@Fridge Logic:

It’s my puzzled reaction concerning the constantly changing (but always rage-related) avatars from the current staff: Brad, Don and Amanda.

@Don:

Well, it was pretty spontaneous actually. I’m a long-living lurker who spent a lot of his early days on the Internet circa 2000 but I became more addicted to it sometime in 2003-2004. It was through online games and MMO that I was introduced to lolspeak in the first place. I don’t remember how I found out about 4chan but I think it was because of flash animations and such.
Anyway, I didn’t know what a meme was at that time. I had to wait until around 2008-2009, I’d say, to eventually understand that all the different phenomena I’ve witnessed before had a name.
Then, I stumbled upon Knowyourmeme in the summer 2009. It was a very young website at that time with a small community and very litte features. I thought it was cool if I could write down some of the things I’ve seen. I guess I became addicted to it as well. I could very well have chosen Encyclopedia Dramatica at that time but it wasn’t the same thing. I didn’t find anything that was related to a somewhat serious approach on memes and I liked that idea more.
Now, I feel as though I manage pretty well my journey on the web thanks to the tricks I learnt from serious research.
It also helped me improve by weak English a bit.

I’ve recently shown some of my entries to a teacher of mine, native from the UK, who seems to be now a little interested in the Slender Man mythology.

Last edited Dec 06, 2011 at 02:06PM EST
Dec 06, 2011 at 02:03PM EST

-what was the first meme you remember really enjoying (outside of lolspeak)?

-if you could go one place in the world, where would you go!

Dec 06, 2011 at 02:26PM EST

(Part 2)

@Drpepperfan #1 Osaka and Trixie Fan:

Ohyou.png
Do you know I can sign up for an exchange program as part of my studies in order to travel to the UK?
Silly Drpepperfan, do you really want me to come over here and make you understand my hatred of ponies in a more violent, but still friendly, way?

@Sweatie Killer:

Silver White

@Brad

Come on, you know very well that we Europeans hate Americans in the utmost way possible.
Okay, if I have to find something that I admire about American Culture, it’s the McDonalds restaurants. I really like eating there once in a while.
I kinda like the Anonymous vision as well, depending on their actions. We never know what Internet may become one day, for better or for worse.

The thing I hate the most? Bronies of course. You completely created them America. Shame on you.

@Christopher the Pimp Abra:

- I have so many favorites memes. It’s hard for me to choose from. I don’t know, Trololo is great, Slender Man is great, All Your Base is great. Oh Yeah! How can I forget about this one. My favorite for sure.

- A meme that annoys me much? Screamers/scary prank reactions.

- As for a website I like to go to aside from KnowYourMeme… hmmm, Youtube maybe. It’s a bit cliché but still, yeah, Youtube.

- Random French website? Underfoule. They will stone me to death twice for leaking twice a link to their board, as they have the same mood as some 711channers (I miss them) when it comes to remaining underground. You know, like all frenchies, they like to be whiny.

@Hiroman:

It can’t cut itself, that’s for sure.

@Verbose:

I would simply make the bronies go away and find another home for their fandom other than the page. Really, that’s it. I wouldn’t interfere with the entries (main article+sub articles) as long as they stay objective and show facts only.
My “ideal KYM” would actually be joined with ED (ED.ch) and Lurkmore as a common database with their own purposes. I don’t like the fact there still seems to be some… “Internet Arrogance” on who is the best “safekeeper of true Internet culture” between us and them.

Anyway, Brad was here before I ever arrived if I remember right. As for Don, he was first Mememachine, a user just like me that met the previous staff at last year’s ROFLCon and became quite active, enough to be hired as an intern. I don’t know them THAT well actually and I didn’t even suspect they would ask me questions as well, moreso since our beloved Captain_Blubber did the same thing long ago.

@burning_phoneix:

I haven’t tasted it yet but it is said to be delicious.

Last edited Dec 06, 2011 at 03:12PM EST
Dec 06, 2011 at 02:53PM EST

@Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit:

Germans have some good music bands, make horrible beer and have strange memes.
Also, some say that they are going to screw us up because their leader don’t want to give up with the Euro.

@amanda b.

- I think I got linked once to a French version of Hampster Dance, with these pop-ups that keep you on the site until you reach the end of the message. T’was annoying but particularly funny. I got the same with Rickroll as well.

- I’d like to go to New York, to meet the Eastside crew once in my life. Or, maybe, Canada in order to punch Captain_Blubber out.

Last edited Dec 06, 2011 at 08:47PM EST
Dec 06, 2011 at 03:10PM EST

What do you feel about holding the longest title of all?

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:09PM EST

@Mister J:

I feel I have not to be ashamed of my big… talent.
That’s why I earned that longest title of all.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:04PM EST

Skitch the Wolf, KYM Community Pet wrote:

If you could give only one line of advice to Brand New Members, and ONLY one, what would it be?

“Think before you post.”

But that’s not what I usually do.
It happens that I don’t think before I post things…Oh well.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:27PM EST

I actually meant the older, more colorful avatar that you had before. What was that?

Dec 06, 2011 at 07:18PM EST

Fridge wrote:

I actually meant the older, more colorful avatar that you had before. What was that?

An avatar made by Jostin himself. A great piece of art, I tell you.
The most awesome drawing of a Tonberry ever.

Dec 06, 2011 at 08:46PM EST

You sir are of a foreign persuasion to mine. Perhaps, then, you will know this:

How does one “shot web?”

Dec 06, 2011 at 10:58PM EST

What is your favorite english word?

What food do you enjoy that americans are missing out on?

Favorite YTMND site?

Dec 06, 2011 at 11:09PM EST
Your opinion on this thread?

I would have featured it myself if I was there in time.

Is your name Trombe De Riz

Yes, it is. What a cute name, isn’t it?

You sir are of a foreign persuasion to mine. Perhaps, then, you will know this:

How does one “shot web?”

You have to be a true Pimp like Spiderman:

You should seek for advice from that Abra guy who calls himself a pimp.

What is your favorite english word?

What food do you enjoy that americans are missing out on?

Favorite YTMND site?

- American word = Badonkadonk
I don’t think I have a favorite English word. Hmmm, maybe “Disarray”

- I don’t know. Do you have Pan-Bagnats over there?
If not, croissants and pains au chocolat, not to forget omelette du fromage.

- This one

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:21AM EST

T’arrives à les supporter, tous ces anglo-saxons bizarres qui fourmillent sur ce site?

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:16PM EST

Covetous wrote:

T’arrives à les supporter, tous ces anglo-saxons bizarres qui fourmillent sur ce site?

J’essaye.

You have to put an extra space (called “espace fine insécable”) between the end of your sentence and the question mark if you truly want to speak French.

Last edited Dec 11, 2011 at 03:17PM EST
Dec 08, 2011 at 01:26PM EST

Vous pensez quoi du français québécois ? Tabernac !

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:44AM EST

Tomberry wrote:

J’essaye.

You have to put an extra space (called “espace fine insécable”) between the end of your sentence and the question mark if you truly want to speak French.

How does one truly speak french through text?

Dec 09, 2011 at 07:01AM EST

Fridge wrote:

This thing.

What is it.

It’s a Tomberry of course. Why do you need to ask that question?

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:00AM EST

“You have to put an extra space (called “espace fine insécable”) bewteen the end of your sentence and the question mark if you truely want to speak French.”

Dec 09, 2011 at 11:54AM EST

So, I know that you are one of this site’s oldest moderators. And I was just wondering have you ever worked with my brother, considering that this account was originally his? If so, was he easy to work with or hard to work with article-wise?

Dec 09, 2011 at 12:24PM EST

Hi Tomberry. First of all, I’d like to say that your great entries inspired me on my own meme entries (which made me an entry moderator myself). So, merci for that.

Secondly, what is the state of french speaking memes? Are they as prominent as english speaking ones?

Dec 09, 2011 at 03:22PM EST
Vous pensez quoi du français québécois ? Tabernac !

Whiny arrogant (more than us which is surprising) scums who think their version is cleaner and purer than ours.

How does one truly speak french through text?

Have fun with that

So, I know that you are one of this site’s oldest moderators. And I was just wondering have you ever worked with my brother, considering that this account was originally his? If so, was he easy to work with or hard to work with article-wise?

Honestly, I don’t really remember that time well. I think we worked a little together on some entries maybe ? I can’t answer this question.

Secondly, what is the state of french speaking memes? Are they as prominent as english speaking ones?

To be fair, I tried to follow French trends for some time. As far as I’ve seen, like pretty much every other country, we are deeply influenced by the US when it comes to memes, for the simple reason that it’s a different language usually containing rather new stuff. French-speaking memes… well…I’d say we aren’t as productive.

I need to check if there is some new trends going around the French interbutt.

Dec 11, 2011 at 03:35PM EST

Do you like ponies?

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:20AM EST

@Daniel “Flutter Spray” Vazquez and @Gamzee Makara [SoBeR]:

You’re asking for a ban, aren’t you?

On a related note, what do you think of zombies in media?

I like zombies, though I think it’s way more difficult now to make a “good” original zombie flick (either in literature, movies, video games, ect) because it’s such an overused theme.
To be honest, I haven’t watched that many classics such as Romero’s yet, and I really would like to have a hand on The Zombie Survival Guide.
I also like to ponder what I would do if a Zombie Apocalypse does occur. It’s funny.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:58PM EST

Why yes it was a low blow showing you that MLP has invaded France But I thought you would just surrender to love and tolerance. I didn’t think you would get mad. Sorry if I opened up a can of butthurt on you but…..

Now for a question.
Have you done anything this last year that you are proud of? Is there anything you are looking forward to in the year to come?

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:28AM EST

Derp Banned wrote:

Why yes it was a low blow showing you that MLP has invaded France But I thought you would just surrender to love and tolerance. I didn’t think you would get mad. Sorry if I opened up a can of butthurt on you but…..

Now for a question.
Have you done anything this last year that you are proud of? Is there anything you are looking forward to in the year to come?

There is a big MLP thread on Underfoule so I was aware of its popularity “everywhere” for some time. That doesn’t mean I will change my mind as a hater. That doesn’t mean you’ll avoid a ban that way either, you dirty little Spaniard.

I don’t think I’ve done anything that I’m really proud of. I’m just living my life. Oh yeah, I’ve been to a Danko Jones live concert, that’s great enough.
I’m looking forward to succeeding in my second year of studies. That will be a good starter.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:54AM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

Will you teach me french?

Sure. How much are you able to pay for it?

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:14PM EST

My undying love.

We may actually be able to discuss a price as soon as I can find a job, though I"m already a Japanese minor.

Dec 21, 2011 at 07:06PM EST

Actually, Teh Brawler, I recall making some little French classes in the forums.
I don’t remember which threads they were in though.

Dec 22, 2011 at 08:55AM EST

O HAI! You must login or signup first!