Forums / Discussion / General

171,347 total conversations in 5,617 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General IV: Electric Scootaloo

Last posted Feb 19, 2012 at 11:26PM EST. Added Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST
9955 posts from 129 users

Anyone care to explain this to me:


What the hell is going on?

Did Hasbro (or Sibsy, Fyrefly etc etc…. ) say anything about Derpy being offensive?
If so when did they?

Equestria Daily is being very vague about the whole situation, mentioned in passing here.

Are they gonna take away our Derpy or something?

ARE WE GONNA LET THEM TAKE AWAY OUR DERPY FROM US?

Sign that petition , please.
-

Page get … for Derpy.

@Everyone:

I’m aware of that pic being proven hoax, but that was a long time ago, that’s why I asked what’s this, what caused this to resurface?

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 07:53PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 07:33PM EST
Quote

@X-singularity
I remember reading that they weren’t even aware of the fact that some people found her offensive. no matter what you do, someone will find it offensive. Since there was no real shitstorm about it and a lot of fans were happy about it, I doubt they will stop showing her.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 07:51PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 07:43PM EST
Quote

X wrote:

Anyone care to explain this to me:


What the hell is going on?

Did Hasbro (or Sibsy, Fyrefly etc etc…. ) say anything about Derpy being offensive?
If so when did they?

Equestria Daily is being very vague about the whole situation, mentioned in passing here.

Are they gonna take away our Derpy or something?

ARE WE GONNA LET THEM TAKE AWAY OUR DERPY FROM US?

Sign that petition , please.
-

Page get … for Derpy.

@Everyone:

I’m aware of that pic being proven hoax, but that was a long time ago, that’s why I asked what’s this, what caused this to resurface?

I think someone emailed Hasbro saying that Derpy is an insult to mentally disabled people. They (EqD) mentioned it before but said that it was a hoax so I don’t know why they’re mentioning it again.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 07:47PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 07:44PM EST
Quote

Nayuki didn’t really want a bunch of attention, but I think it may have to be cleared up, so sorry Nayuki.
 
Take a look at this.

I saw that post on EqD, but it was vague. From what I get from Nayuki, he/she isn’t going to say what Derpy’s status is, but I don’t think she’s in any danger. She may not get another speaking role, but I don’t think she’s going to “move away from Ponyville.”

It also says a few other things in there. Succinctly, there aren’t as many shout-out as you think there might be. The Dr. Whooves reference was, but anything implying shipping has not been. Also, the way the show is made will not change (and will not change going into Season 3, as Nayuki openly referenced.)
 
 
Nayuki also knows about Ponibooru and the “Word_of_Nayuki” tag for everything Nayuki says.
 
STALKER OH GOD


Talk to Beans and Muumi about krama. badsitrep has a very “to the point” sense of humor. I get my kramas from using a lot of big words. If you really want the krama, talk to badsitrep. He’s the most active out of those who don’t put as much effort into their posts.

Random simply commands krama. Also, be a catgirl. That worked for a…I forget her name now, but she got, like, 30 kramas for simply saying “Hi.”

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 07:56PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 07:51PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

I think someone emailed Hasbro saying that Derpy is an insult to mentally disabled people. They (EqD) mentioned it before but said that it was a hoax so I don’t know why they’re mentioning it again.

I did research and the whole thing is grossly out of context.

The people that say Derpy is an insult to the mentally disabled are just being a bit sensitive. If people did research, they would see that Derpy’s name comes from the “Derp” meme and the frequency of said meme to include photoshopped images of things with wall eyes or “Derped eyes.”

The derp meme doesn’t even originate as an insult to the mentally handicapped. It comes as a derivative of the Matt Stone and Trey Parker film “Baseketball.” Even then, derp "is an expression associated with stupidity, much like the earlier forms of ‘duh’ and ‘dur.’ (KYM, DERP entry).

People need to chill. Yes, bigoted language exists but one cannot see everything as bigoted when the common usage never has direct relation to said bigotry. Yes, I get a bit ticked when someone says “jewed out of their money” but I know modern usage is not to insult and denigrate one’s worth so I let it past. One cannot control a culture by mere will. While it has origins of a derogatory nature, it has evolved past said origins and is simply a word.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:23PM EST
Quote

Berry Punch wrote:

@twins
A female? Blasphemy, I’m the only one allowed to be female, stoip steelin mah bitches!!

As for krama…
I dunno how I get so much karma. All the colts just seem to go nuts for me.

I can honestly careless about sexual orientation unless it is funny.
Not only that Gamzee is the reason why I tend to avoid of such things.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:32PM EST
Quote

Thanks for your research badsitrep.

I did MY research.. here’s the results:
They are Pulling Derpy products and changing their names:

Contrast these two pages:

The Page’s PREVIOUS appearance pulled GOOGLE’S cache
Title Description_: Derpy Face Beanie.

product=1458">The Page’s CURRENT appearance linked directly
Title Description: Pony Face Beanie.

Pony?
Really?
Wow!


it’s not an isolated case either, look at these:

Exhibit A
Its previous appearance.

Exhibit B
Its previous appearance.

Exhibit C
Its previous appearance.

Exhibit D
Its previous appearance.

Anyone care to point me to Derpy’s Name? anyone?

No Derpy Product carries Derpy’s name anymore.
I’ve checked the Google’s cached version of most Derpy products…. THEY WERE CHANGED.

From now on Derpy’s new name is “Pony”.

so:
Can you sign that petition already please?


BTW if the cached version isn’t displaying properly or changes, then worry not, I’ve screen-capped them. tell me and I’ll post them. I’ll post just one shortly.

EDIT:
Here’s The screen cap of the original page, preserved in picture format so that it would outlast the cache’s lifetime …LINK

I await your assuring response everyone….

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 09:05PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 08:43PM EST
Quote

Ric Tesla wrote:

I can honestly careless about sexual orientation unless it is funny.
Not only that Gamzee is the reason why I tend to avoid of such things.

Why did you quote berry’s post? It had nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:45PM EST
Quote

Dac wrote:

Why did you quote berry’s post? It had nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Your obviously did not click on Berry’s link, which was >Implying something.

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:47PM EST
Quote

Ric Tesla wrote:

Your obviously did not click on Berry’s link, which was >Implying something.

It was her being “sexy”. I saw it, Im just confused about what your were saying. What exactly was it implying?

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:53PM EST
Quote
Can you sign that petition already please?

I’m not as strong on the issue one way or another as others are.

Simply, I refuse to, personally.
 
It’s probably in WeLoveFine’s best interest to not sell a shirt named “Derpy” on it. I would think it would be in Hasbro’s best interest to not let Derpy be called "Derpy, honestly. I think you all know that it only takes a few loud voices to cause a lot of trouble for a company.

In WeLoveFine’s case, they will still sell the shirts to broneis regardless of their names. And they won’t offend any potential people who would cause more trouble than leaving the names off would cause.

  • Scenario 1: They use the name “Derpy.” People get offended and call them bigots. Lots of PR control ensues.
  • Scenario 2: They do not use the name “Derpy.” Broneis are disappointed, but they still buy the shirts. Fewer people will get upset with WeLoveFine, and they don’t have to spend time on PR control.

WeLoveFine probably isn’t a huge company. They don’t want to take any chances of this getting legal or taking any lawsuits. It’s in their best interest to not use “Derpy.” Right or wrong is irrelevant.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 09:04PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 09:00PM EST

>implying an internet petition will do jack s**t
But in seriousness, really, Hasbro and/or We Love Fine? You’re joking, right? Really f**king really?
This has got to be the stupidest-
Who started the whole “controversy” thing anyways? Some idiot moms writing in to Hasbro… or, what? Does anyone know?

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:01PM EST

Dac wrote:

It was her being “sexy”. I saw it, Im just confused about what your were saying. What exactly was it implying?

" All the colts just seem to go nuts for me." Then it links to that gif, how do you not see the message?

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:01PM EST
Quote

What does it matter if they switch names? Its their products, their show, their trademarks. Hell If they renamed ‘Rainbow Dash’ to ‘Java Cafe’ most of you would probably still watch anyway. We’re the unintended audience, they named a character after what the community has done. Anything and everything anybody does is bound to piss off someone.
-
No one is gonna quit watching the show if a name changes. Doesnt really matter.
-
The fans/community isnt going to like 100% of what Hasbro/Studio B/Or any other company does anyway.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 09:32PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 09:31PM EST

Ric Tesla wrote:

" All the colts just seem to go nuts for me." Then it links to that gif, how do you not see the message?

Yes, that colts are attracted to her. I get that, but I don’t get what you meant about sexual orientation. Its a given that colts would be attracted to her. Im just really confused about what you were trying to say.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:38PM EST
Quote

Cite wrote:

>implying an internet petition will do jack s**t
But in seriousness, really, Hasbro and/or We Love Fine? You’re joking, right? Really f**king really?
This has got to be the stupidest-
Who started the whole “controversy” thing anyways? Some idiot moms writing in to Hasbro… or, what? Does anyone know?

Apparently it was due to this:

But EqD has said that the post was a hoax

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/01/last-roundups-mysterious-itunes.html

But here’s the final news:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/small-update-on-derpy-overall.html

EqD wrote:

Right now what we do know:

Derpy is being renamed over at We Love Fine to everything from Ditzy to nothing at all.

The upcoming “Friendship Express” DVD Still includes Derpy, and the ones manufacturing it confirm that Hasbro has not yet contacted them about it.

iTunes actually did take the episode down specifically

The Last Roundup is still up on the actual Hubworld website.

Until we can get a solid response from Hasbro, or more Derpy take-downs happen, this is the only completely solid evidence we have. It does sound like some changes to the character overall will happen in the near future.
Feb 02, 2012 at 09:38PM EST
Quote

Someone write/type a really really long response as to why the renaming of Derpy is a big deal?
-
So they will rename her to nothing or 3428914789363412675417263. Doesnt matter. except that the string of numbers is actually pretty hard to remember.
-
Y’all gonna quit if they rename Derpy? No. No you wont.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:43PM EST

omgitsmr wrote:

Someone write/type a really really long response as to why the renaming of Derpy is a big deal?
-
So they will rename her to nothing or 3428914789363412675417263. Doesnt matter. except that the string of numbers is actually pretty hard to remember.
-
Y’all gonna quit if they rename Derpy? No. No you wont.

No one said we were gonna quit but we are rightfully a bit bummed out at this.

Seriously, where did anyone say they were gonna quit?

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:45PM EST
Quote

@ Verbose and Ivan:

I understand it’s a show for little girls.

I’m not asking for the show-makers to show Rarity making-out with Twilight or anything, I’m not asking for them to show Fluttershy sexing Big Mac, or Pinkie Pie going full cupcakes-mode on ponyville,or Applejack being in a lesbian relationship with Rainbow Dash.

It’s just a goddamn Background Pony! ,one with just four lines in total, and a collective on-screen time of 3 minutes or so.

No-one is offended, and if they are, then it’s out duty to defend the true meaning of “derp”, as coined on the internet.


Regardless of what you say, this is a form of censorship.
If Hasbro really gave in to a few angry messages than what’s next?

  • Change Rainbow Dash to Monochrome Dash because she’s sending “Pro-Homosexual Messages” to our children? (Almost everyone who watched the show pointed out this fact, “she’s flying the colors of the Homosexual flag”.)
  • Remove Twilight and Rarity’s horn, or in fact make all unicorns powerless because they practice “Magic” and thus promote “Witchcraft” and “Devil Worship” to our children?
  • Remove every pony’s cutie mark, because they are an expy of “Tramp Stamps” and thus promote “prostitution” to our little girls?
  • Remove Allicorns because they are portrayed as Gods and thus conflict with the Church’s/Temple’s/Mosque’s Teachings?
  • Remove Pinkie Pie because her sugar-hyped behavior is too much akin to Drug-abusers, and thus it encourages kids to do crack cocaine.

Let’s face it, we’ve heard these complains from “troubled parents” and ignorant people a lot more than Derpy’s portrayal being offensive.

So what’s next? or is it just because it’s something done for the Bronies, and thus it’s easy to back down on?

Are we not also viewers?, intended demographic or not?

Do we really matter this little?

That is the true question behind this long post.

[nudge nudge] Cite back me up on this.


I’m just too tired, I’ll go to sleep and I’ll read your responses in the morning, if I have the time, tomorrow is Friday, and that means my people are in open-season.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 10:15PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 09:47PM EST
Quote

Well, Sparty and I were just chatting in MSN and had some Fridge Horror.
I showed him the Human Confessions blog, and he was reading through it.

Sparty McFly says (9:37 PM)
“It just seems way too idealized to me.”
Come over to our planet for a day and say it

Tyler L says (9:37 PM)
AHAHAHAHA

Oh God.

Sparty McFly says (9:37 PM)
Better yet pay attention to a god damn Third World Arc for Chrissake

Tyler L says (9:37 PM)
OH GOD.
DAMMIT
F**K
F**KING F**K F**K
S******T

Sparty McFly says (9:37 PM)
F**KING WHAT THE F**KITY F**K IS F**KING WRONG WITH F**KING YOU TODAY F**K?

Tyler L says (9:38 PM)
Ponies think Earth is idealized and happy, but it’s obviously not. We think Equestria/ponyworld is idealized and happy. Do the math.

Sparty McFly says (9:38 PM)
Oh s**t
That’s… ah… depressing

The actual conversation had a lot less asterisks….

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:47PM EST
Someone write/type a really really long response as to why the renaming of Derpy is a big deal?

It’s a big deal, because it could mean that there was enough backlash for there to be a half of a strike against DHX/Hasbro/WeLoveFine. A few people will be watching the show and will begin to overanalyze its approach to characters and situations more critically than broneis do.

It could have been anything potentially politically incorrect, and the same discussion would have happened.
 
As for a long response, I have homework.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:48PM EST

Internet has a major influence on what happens but internet doesnt deicde what happens on the show or in corporations. They are renaming their character. Ofc we can be bummed about it. We’re free to be pissed off just like they are free to rename their property.

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:02PM EST

If they get ride of Derpy…

I might do something unbrony like…
I really like Derpy she is one of my best ponies…I really felt connections with the mare at times…I don’t know if it was the fanfics or the fanart or the tumblr’s or the funny comics the fandom makes..but they personality they gave her is irreplaceable for MLP. She is not a “special” pony she is a extraordinary mare that touched all of our hearts and made us feel love for her and want to take care of her like our own….
Can they at least make her act a little less “silly” so people won’t be so offended?
I’m going to bed and sleep…I feel depressed by thinking of this topic….
@Dac-attack!!!
Don’t worry about it.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 10:20PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 10:19PM EST
Quote

Still Erin wrote:


When you see it… you’ll shit flatscreens.

Pretty sure that’s a blackboard, Connor.

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:24PM EST




So because Derpy was portrayed as an airhead with a slightly slow speech pattern they assumed she was ment to be shown as mentally handicapped? Isn’t that a tad offensive? Also, haven’t plenty of other cartoons had characters that fit that descriptions, had much more central roles, and weren’t edited out? Case and point:








Feb 02, 2012 at 10:31PM EST
Quote

Cite wrote:

Pretty sure that’s a blackboard, Connor.

I know, just wanted to see if I could fool anypony. Damn you and your logic…



Look at the trolls, they made Derpy sad.
We will not stand for this.
(What does Hasbro care, they don’t even need consumers anymore; they’re an international corporation.)

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:32PM EST
Quote

@This whole page

I can’t believe this…just…

Why…just why. Why did people have to pretend that Derpy was such a bad thing. Why did they have to pretend that she implied anything about anybody? Why do people have to make a controversy for the pure sake of controversy? Why must people pretend that simple things are bigger problems than they actually are! Why can’t they have the foresight to see how innocent Derpy really is?

One background character, 4 lines, regular goofy behaviour = Shitstorm?

Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Why.

(Hugs derpy)

It’s okay Derpy…It’ll be okay

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:50PM EST
Quote


hey um,I saw many comment about derpy.I don’t know what exactly is going on.Would somepony explain it clear to me plz ?

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:50PM EST

@Epicus

Long story short.

In the previous episode, Derpy was featured as a goofy character for ONE scene. Bronies rejoiced and all hoped to see more of her.

A week later Derpy gets reported as offensive by unknowns (assumed to be soccer moms) and now she’s gone.

Thanks a hell of a lot theoretical angry uptight soccer moms!

How is Derpy offensive? HOW?

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:55PM EST
Quote

DERPY DISCUSSION DETECTED
LURK MODE ACTIVATED

LURKING COMPLETE
DISCUSSION MODE ACTIVATED.
ACTIVATING: OVER_THINKING.MND
RE-SCANNING CURRENT DISCUSSION
SCAN COMPLETE.
PROCESSING RESPONSE…..

Geez, allot of different views on this topic. Where to start, where to start…
How about why people started this.

This all started when people started saying Derpy was offensive to mentally disabled, and quite frankly, I’m not surprised. With how she was portrayed in the show, I can see why people would say that. But, as badsitrep pointed out, they’re just being a little too sensitive about it. They (the people running the show) were just trying to please the fanbase with making a character, that was originally just an animation glitch, a canon character with the personality the fans created for her. Is it specifically pointing out possible brain-issues she may-or-may-not have? Nope. And nukefire brought up another good point; other shows have done it before. This is really a stupid thing to get mad over. But, still people will always seem to find something offensive. Hell, could walk out into the street and juggle kittens and people would find it offensive. Life’s sometimes just like that.

Now, for the actual subject at hand. ^This has led to WeLoveFine to change the name of their products, and there are some rumors about what Hasbro might do floating around. Is this really such a big deal? Allow me to go over it all. First, WeLoveFine’s name changing. Honestly, I can’t see why there’s much of a problem. Even though they took the name off the products, they still sell them, correct? So what if she’s called ‘Pony’, or not called anything at all? We still know it’s her. We’ll still buy it. It won’t change anything, really. Sure, it could make it harder to search for Derpy products, but other than that, nothing to get worried over. And Hasbro really doesn’t have much to worry about. I’m sure that they will realize that a few people over-reacting over a character that was shown for about 3 minutes at most isn’t anything to get worried about. If they need to, they can make Derpy a little less clumsy and a little less silly, and it will all be fine. The Brony community is large, and doing something that could anger them, when there are better alternatives, wouldn’t be a very smart move. And if they do decide to take her out of the show, for whatever reason, yes there will be allot of raging and sorrow across the ponynet. But in the Brony community, Derpy has become a big thing. Bronies everywhere treat her with as much, and possibly more, respect as they do with the main characters. She was but an animation error in the beginning, but we saw her differently. We gave her a name, a personality, an occupation, a daughter, we gave her life. She is, and always will be, in the hearts of Bronies everywhere. And with all the fan art, fanfiction, tumblrs, ect, she will not die easily.

So, I will ask again. Is this really such a big deal?

(Holy crap this took a while! Now my hands hurt, and i have to sleep. But, I believe it was worth it. So, ’night everypony! I hope my time typing this was well wasted spent.)

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:57PM EST
Quote

Why do I have a feeling this may end up as an extremely large “The internet is serious business” type of deal?

Also ,why does this sound eerily reminiscent of the L4D2 racism controversy or the 1995 Parents Music Resource Center? One small group raising hell and alleging social injustice over a media that could be interpreted in many ways.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:02PM EST
Quote

@Epicus

We’ve discussed Derpy’s potentially offensive interpretation right after The Last Roundup, but we weren’t the only broneis to do so. Other broneis and people who watch the show saw Derpy’s name being used in show along with her voice and her being nothing but disastrous as a knock against those with mental disabilities.

Apparently, some people may have sent their complaints to the show and Hasbro. WeLoveFine and iTunes have removed the name “Derpy” from their merchandise probably with those outcries in mind. So people are afraid that Derpy will not be seen in the show anymore.
 
From what I can tell, the show isn’t going to change anything. They aren’t in trouble. So I’m not sweating it one iota.

The concern is that the creation of Bronies, one that we love (including me) was given life, and now it’s taken away, because people see it as offensive.
 
 
I’m also in the middle of this though. I love Derpy Hooves, and I love the fact that DHX gave her a personality, a voice, and parts in the show. However, for a show that has historically been…My Little Pony, you can’t easily whip out a Patrick/Ed character and not expect someone to say something.

WeLoveFine is covering their hides, as is Apple. I don’t have a problem with any of this. People may have been a little oversensitive, but I have trouble seeing how people wouldn’t make that comparison.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:06PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Epicus

Long story short.

In the previous episode, Derpy was featured as a goofy character for ONE scene. Bronies rejoiced and all hoped to see more of her.

A week later Derpy gets reported as offensive by unknowns (assumed to be soccer moms) and now she’s gone.

Thanks a hell of a lot theoretical angry uptight soccer moms!

How is Derpy offensive? HOW?

Maybe the one who did that didn’t think wisely(Or maybe a troll/hater who know ?),Derpy isn’t making fun of people with mental disorder.Idk much about derpy origin but i’m sure derpy wasn’t brought up to make fun of people who suffer of mental illness.I am sure derpy was inspired by the DERP meme(well it obvious)due to an error animation on her first appearance on the show.But hearing that make me wanna say.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:14PM EST

So, people were fine with this mentally disabled character( never learned how to talk, all around dumb), but they get mad at Derpy?


So, is it official? Is derpy gone?

Just saying, I agree with Verbose. I mean, my head cannon after that scene was that she was retarded. Still, people are way to sensitive. Actually, scratch that. She’s just one in the long line of screwball characters. Woody woodpecker, mad hater, ren and stimpy, Daffy duck, etc. they are just goofy, not retarded. Though the connection can be made, adults should know better.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 11:20PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 11:15PM EST
Quote

I’ve had some time to calm down after my initial overreaction

I love Derpy so the news had emotionally compromised me at first. I think we all agree that to complain about Derpy in the first place is quite stupid since she is no different from Patrick and Ed. Yet at the same time the complaints are logical because such characters have to be portrayed in a careful manner to prevent people thinking “disabled”. We know that Derpy was not so carefully portrayed because the thought all cross our minds.

The difference is that we had the common sense to realize that thought was frivolous. But other people just were not that smart and acted upon it. They had the right to do so as well.

From what I understand the complaints about Derpy were numerous. It was not just one butthurt overzealous Brony taking things too far. It was an action undertaken by plenty (maybe hundreds) of concerned citizens who went to the writers directly

When that happens, Hasbro had no choice really. They have to backpedal. If they keep going forward with Derpy or try to defend her, it will only get worse for them. The hate mail will stack up, more authorities will get involved, media outlets start covering it and controversy builds.

So my question is: How many people actually complained? How legit are those complaints?

I know there is at least one anti-derpy petition out there. Are there any others?

Can we get some straight facts on just how big of a fuss people have already made about Derpy?

The more I know about how much hate Hasbro received over Derpy, the easier it will be to determine her fate.


@Dac

I watched that movie when I was a little kid. I never saw that slow dino and thought anything about disabled people.

But then again that was back in the early 90’s when people were not so politically correct. Times have changed now. Now everyone wants to be a hero for the mentally challenged by aggrieving against absolutely anything that could portray them negatively whatsoever…even things that the mentally challenged are not bothered by at all.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 11:26PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 11:19PM EST
Quote

I’m going to derail this conversation, with a Read it and Weep clip.

What then?


The difference is that this is My Little Pony, dac. We’ve gotten past it, because we’ve seen the show. We already know Derpy is a walking disaster girl from Feeling Pinkie Keen. Other people have not. Also, like Epicus said, it may just be trolls.

But I’m not stressing it. I’m mostly watching that awesome Indiana Jones reference from the clip. (and homework.)

This episode is gonna rock.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:21PM EST

@ Verbose
Fair enough, but whats the official verdict on Derpy?

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:26PM EST
Quote


EVERYBODY JUST CALM THE F@#K DOWN. It’s Pyro’s turn to speak. Dammit, I’m gone for a while, and the thread’s crazy over Derpy. I’m lucky I managed to sneak my laptop for a bit. Here’s my views:
X is right. It’s just ignorange. These are the kind of who people who take things the wrong way or try to make connections that aren’t there. Someone tried to make 4 from 2 and 3. They are stuck in their ways and do not understand what “Derp” really is. Their obliviousness to the true meaning and to the internet is what caused this. So, should we be worried? F@#K. NO. I know Hasbro really well, and their realtionship with fans can be a love-hate one. But, they are still vulnerable to fan backlash. Out there, are several angry Bronies, ready to strike. It works for the TransFans, it’ll work for us. Now, can we drop it? Get back to happy thoughts. Or I will ignite the entire thread.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 11:32PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
Quote

Still Erin wrote:


Those motherfuckers need to look at this.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:28PM EST

@Verbose

Derail attempt status: FAILURE

I still want to get some straight facts on the matter

Specifically, I want to know who is complaining in the first place. Knowing that will add much more context. We already know that several Bronies did in fact object to Derpy, they made at least one petition to take her down. However Brony petitions supporting Derpy far outnumber the plaintiffs so Hasbo is not likely to listen to any protest coming from Bronies. They know our support is overwhelmingly positive.

Did those same Bronies write complaints to the Studio’s? Or was it someone else? Was it really angry soccer moms or actual disabled people? We don’t know. But the truth will tell me how likely Hasbro is to take the complaints seriously

If Bronies are behind the whole thing then I will be less worried about Derpy and more worried if Hasbro will shout out to Bronies again after some just bit the hand that fed them


Obligatory Derpy image:

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 11:46PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 11:42PM EST
Quote

Not gonna lie, I’m pretty bummed out about the derpy backlash, too. I know a name change won’t be the end of the world and yeah, Hasbro does have the right to change it, but still, it was such a cool thing and to see it being contested like this is just sad.

What I really don’t understand though is the controversy over her voice. Some say she sounded mentally handicapped, and while I don’t know what that’s like I do know what it’s like to be mocked and labeled the way they are – hell, a fucking teacher even called me stupid once in front of everyone. I’’ve been called an idiot so much in my life that sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that I’m much else. It’s pretty bad when your ready to make an account on a website and the first thing you can think of to use as the thing that identifes you is “Iamslow”. The fact that it actually took me all evening to organize my thoughts on this doesn’t make me feel any better either, but that’s enough baaawing. What I’m saying is despite the negative things I’ve experienced, characters like Nukefire posted never offended me and have always been my favorites in just about any given T.V show.

Long live Derpy, my second favorite pony.

Last edited Feb 02, 2012 at 11:47PM EST
Feb 02, 2012 at 11:44PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Verbose

Derail attempt status: FAILURE

I still want to get some straight facts on the matter

Specifically, I want to know who is complaining in the first place. Knowing that will add much more context. We already know that several Bronies did in fact object to Derpy, they made at least one petition to take her down. However Brony petitions supporting Derpy far outnumber the plaintiffs so Hasbo is not likely to listen to any protest coming from Bronies. They know our support is overwhelmingly positive.

Did those same Bronies write complaints to the Studio’s? Or was it someone else? Was it really angry soccer moms or actual disabled people? We don’t know. But the truth will tell me how likely Hasbro is to take the complaints seriously

If Bronies are behind the whole thing then I will be less worried about Derpy and more worried if Hasbro will shout out to Bronies again after some just bit the hand that fed them


Obligatory Derpy image:

As the post on EqD says, their is a ton of rumors flying around. No one really knows what exactly is going on so let’s just sit down and not panic and wait for a response from Hasbro.

I give you this message:

Last edited Feb 03, 2012 at 12:14AM EST
Feb 03, 2012 at 12:14AM EST
Quote

So any new stuff beside the Derpy controversy ?

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:20AM EST


Here, rage over this instead of Derpy controversy.

@404
I though you were a troll…

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:23AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!