Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General IV: Electric Scootaloo

Last posted Feb 19, 2012 at 11:26PM EST. Added Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST
9955 posts from 129 users

Guys, I was looking at the summaries for upcoming episodes and I was wondering… Did Mr and Mrs Cake conceive children before or after the whole Nightmare Moon epidemic? It just strikes me as odd that they had children this whole time, whether recent or not.

PAGE GET: I declare happiness and the discussions of Interdimensional Interaction between the different versions of the pony characters within the fandom and who's your fave!

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 06:53PM EST

null wrote:

Let us discuss Brony patient zero:

He is worth all of my respect and deserves it.
@Rinsankajugin
They possible have not been seen as much because they live some where else, and Pinkie Pie is the only one that lives at the store. So they must have kids at home to attend too.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 06:45PM EST

Data analysis, round 2.

Fig. 1 – xy – Click to enlarge

As before, ach red dot represents a character in the show, and each blue vector represents one of the personality traits. The direction and magnitude of each vector represents its contribution to the principal components (the data can be summarized in terms of two components which account for most of the variance – Component 1 and Component 2).

However, this time, the data had more variance, so I plotted using three dimensions. The graph above has Component 1 (x axis) versus Component 2 (y axis), and is the most useful. The graphs below are Component 1 and Component 2 versus Component 3 (z axis), which provides a little more insight into the results.

Figs. 2, 3 – xz, yz – Click to enlarge

So, now for the actual analysis of the results.

When comparing this data set to the previous one, two things jumped out at me. First, this data set contains a lot more variance, which is only to be expected because of the larger sample size. Unfortunately, that's bad for interpreting data – or so I thought. When I analyzed it, the results actually turned out better than the first set, and this is apparent in Fig. 1. If you look at the traits, you'll notice that Humorous, Casual, and Witty are all more or less aligned along Component 1 (x axis), and that Serious, Intellectual, Passionate, and Witty are aligned along Component 2 (y xis).

This is great news for the analysis, because it means that that Component 1 can be interpreted as representing light-heartedness, while Component 2 represents seriousness.

Once that interpretation is reached, Figs. 2 and 3 become more important. Fig. 2 (left) represents light-heartedness treating seriousness as a constant, and Fig. 3 (right) does the converse; the graphs show the absoluteness of the two general traits. Component 3 (z axis) can't be correlated with any overarching traits, so it's essentially irrelevant. But, it does serve to relate the characters with the traits.

So, here's a character-by-character rundown of the data.

Applejack: Serious, witty, and humorous, with a tendency towards being passionate.
Fluttershy: Difficult to interpret, but shows a slight tendency to seriousness.
Pinkie Pie: Intellecual, serious, and the least casual.
Rainbow Dash: Tending slightly towards serious and passionate. Overall, pretty similar to Fluttershy, but more humorous.
Rarity: Passionate, witty, and prone to image-posting.
Twilight Sparkle: Casual and humorous, sometimes posts images, and with a slight tendency towards being intellectual.

Now, it's interesting to note the differences between these traits and the characters as they appear on the show, especially with Pinkie. That would seem to indicate flaws with the survey itself and how it calculates personalities.

I've also been looking at the statistics of the posters' personalities. The most common is Twilight Sparkle with a hint of Fluttershy, followed by Applejack + Twilight Sparkle. That shows that there's a lot of diversity on the thread, but that there are sort of two main groups of posters – the casual ones and the serious ones. Now we already knew that, but what's interesting to note is that the serious posters have a more casual side, while the casual posters don't really have a serious side. This can be seen in two ways; by looking at the combinations of characters, or by looking at how one-dimensional the Casual and Serious vectors are in Fig. 1. It's also interesting to see that the shortest vectors are Images and Passionate, which shows that they don't depend so much on personality.

So, overall, I think this little project has been a success; I've learned a lot about the posting habits of the different users, and now I better understand the dynamics of the thread as a whole. And, as a scientist, I always feel compelled to understand everything, and I hope that whoever bothers to read this gains a better understanding of the thread too.

Sorry about pushing this from the last page.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 06:46PM EST

@opspe

All my karma…

I don't even know what it means. But whatever it is it needs moar Scootaloo.

I wonder which character you got bumped towards for answering Scootaloo as your pet; probably RD.

P.S. Did you like my analysis of the mane 6 ponies' relationships on the last page?

Erin ◕ω◕ wrote:

@opspe

All my karma…

I don't even know what it means. But whatever it is it needs moar Scootaloo.

I wonder which character you got bumped towards for answering Scootaloo as your pet; probably RD.

P.S. Did you like my analysis of the mane 6 ponies' relationships on the last page?

Yeah I did, I thought it was interesting how you drew the conclusion that RD was better connected than Pinkie – that hadn't really occurred to me. I always assumed Pinkie was better known because of her parties, but now that I think about it, it seems that's probably the only reason she's better known, and that RD probably had more meaningful relationships.

@opspe

Firstly, that's awesome. Have some krama.

Secondly, I apologise for being a big stinking anomaly in your data. I think my posting style is closest to the Applejack group, and yet my test scores were Twilight with a hint of Fluttershy. Last time I checked, I'm not a casual image poster, so I'm not sure what went wrong there.

I find it surprising that people with a casual or humorous posting style were more likely to be Twilight than Pinkie. It doesn't really fit with her personality in the show, so I'm guessing the test wasn't terribly accurate (Or people didn't answer honestly. Or we're just a weird bunch.)

opspe wrote:

Yeah I did, I thought it was interesting how you drew the conclusion that RD was better connected than Pinkie – that hadn't really occurred to me. I always assumed Pinkie was better known because of her parties, but now that I think about it, it seems that's probably the only reason she's better known, and that RD probably had more meaningful relationships.

The way I saw it was that:

Pinkie knows everypony (I take that literally). But she probably isn't best friends with all of them. Her personality just isn't for some and there is no way she can be best friends with everyone.

Rainbow, I think, knows plenty of ponies, but that the competative nature of her personality would lead her to make a lot of close friends and also a lot of enemies.

I would say RD had fewer deeper relationships and Pinkie had a ton of shallower (but not bad) relationships.

I also love the idea that Pinkie is a RD fangirl. She seems to play the role very well.

I haven't posted meaningful discussion in FOREVER!!!

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 07:13PM EST

I find the results, some what ironic. I'm sorry if I don't say much.
But the reason why I got Twilight and some Fluttershy is because I normally don't like to socialize and keep my life concealed from people in reality because of paranoia and fear. The part of me that's Twilight is that when I go to school, I work my faking plot off hoping to get an A or above, (Right now I got one B which kind of ticked me off, but everything else is an A).

I'm working hard and after this vacation I should do more of that, I want to try to help make machines to help people and eventually help mankind to become one with the tools he created, (but most likely with the ones he used for destruction typically), but hoping to use the to restore, an regenerate the world around him.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 07:19PM EST

@Algy and lolstaz – BSOD and I assigned you guys traits based on how we view your posting, which may not be how you view your posting. That and the test was probably flawed.

And thank you guys for reading my post. I really appreciate it.

Here's some imagery that I found amusing.

@opspe
First, that's a nice graph.

I had something of every character. Least Rarity, Most Applejack (and Pinkie). What does that make me?

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 07:38PM EST

Well it sounds like you guys want a case-by-case runthrough, so here you are. This is the poster data that I used in my analysis.

But before you read: These are my and BSOD's opinions only, and they are NOT up for debate. You may not agree with them, but please, don't give me shit about it – I'm not going to change anything at this stage.

Algernon – Serious, Humorous, Intellecual
Berry Punch – Humorous, Images, Casual
BSOD – Serious, Humorous, Intellectual
burning_phoenix – Serious, Intellectual, Witty
CitationNeeded – Serious, Humorous, Passionate, Images
Connor – Humorous, Images, Casual
dac-attack!!!! – Serious, Humorous, Passionate
Daniel Vazquez – Humorous, Images, Witty, Casual
Dr. Greg – Serious, Humorous, Images, Casual
Drpepperfan – Images, Casual
Fridge Logic – Images, Casual
Iambob – Serious, Humorous, Intellecual, Witty
Iamslow – Humorous, Images
Ideological – Humorous, Images, Casual
IvanP91 – Serious, Humorous
lolstaz – Serious, Humorous, Casual
Muumi – Serious, Images, Casual
Notsocool – Humorous, Casual
opspe – Serious, Humorous, Intellectual
Owens – Serious, Humorous
RandomMan – Serious, Humorous, Images, Witty
Ric Tesla – Humorous, Images, Casual
Riyku Ku – Images, Casual
Sandwichman – Humorous, Casual
Verbose – Serious, Intellectual, Witty
X-singular – Humorous, Images, Casual

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 07:47PM EST

While I wouldn't call my self Humorous, Casual or Images(!?!?)….
I would call my self an overzealous idiot, so disregard my statement

including the statement in which i told you to disregard my statement…problem?
Oh.. and in case this turns into another flame topic, let the record show that I don't give a flying blueberry muffin, because I'm too happy to see that someone went through all this trouble to analyze our data.
You bring joy to my science-receptors opspe, thank you a million times over!

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 08:05PM EST

No images for me? Thats practically all I post. Oh well. Interesting how its two opposites Serious – Humorous. Well, almost opposites.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 07:58PM EST

X wrote:

While I wouldn't call my self Humorous, Casual or Images(!?!?)….
I would call my self an overzealous idiot, so disregard my statement

including the statement in which i told you to disregard my statement…problem?
Oh.. and in case this turns into another flame topic, let the record show that I don't give a flying blueberry muffin, because I'm too happy to see that someone went through all this trouble to analyze our data.
You bring joy to my science-receptors opspe, thank you a million times over!

@Opspe
Yea your description of me seems pretty accurate. I mean I did say that I was rarely serious but come to think of it, It's becoming pretty serious now and I do usually avoid posting when everyone is just posting random stuff 'cause I feel like I've got nothing to add.

I think my posting style is the sort of style when I want to be serious, but I don't like typing too much and can't formulate opinions on subjects that haven't already been said. Which leaves me in this awkward mid point where I sometimes post short semi-serious posts that are usually not worth reading; Sometimes post random humorous posts; and mostly post nothing at all. So I suppose Humorous, Casual is close enough.

@supermonday
You came back!

I've missed you as you now know.

In other news… I wish that KYM didn't delete comments of banned members. If they didn't we would still have all the wonderful trolling of Fridgesrants to analyse.
Yes I went through the comments to find his first comment. I was actually looking for my first comment but this is good too.
I finally found where we pwn'd his sorry flank! Here

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 08:58PM EST

@supermonday
Hey, long time no see!
To be honest, you haven't missed much. Opspe just posted a bunch of statistics. Everyone ranted last page. Everyone raged on the one before that. A load of people haven't been posting recently what with the holidays and all. Other than posting a shitload of Scootaloo pics, that's about all we've been doing recently.

That reminds me.

RandomMan posted:

Damn this fandom. I can't even read the words 'apple pie' without thinking this.

@Connor
When did we ever not pwn Fridgesrants? He got destroyed every time he even thought about posting. Hell, he pwned himself half of the time.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 09:07PM EST

Going through literal hundreds of pages of comments is tiring work.

Now I remember where I got all my friends! Gigatoast helped me get in the zone with debate skills. Fridge taught me to never give up on someone. Supermonday and Platus taught me to be nice and supportive toward everyone. RandomMan taught me that rabbits are awesome.

also
Gamzee Marka's old name was slenderman. I just remembered taht

Son, I am derp right now
@Algy
IKR

supermonday wrote:

i remember killing fridgesrants… i got a ton of applause >_>
best day ever =D

Indeed!

It was a fun time in our history.
I've been nostalgiaing everywhere all day.
I better go do something else for right now. My brain is all:

right now…

Summary of this thread so far for supermonday:

-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies in sexy poses
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Furries
-Ponies
-R34
-Shitstorm
-Derailment
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Debates over show logistics
-Ponies
-Personality test
-Statistics
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Debates over show logistics
-Ponies
-Synctube
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Bronies make the biggest contribution to the Humble Bundle charity!
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Ponies
-Synctube
-Ponies
-Downloading copyrighted material
-Shunning
-Ponies
-implied R34 joke
-One guy, ONE GUY, gets angry
-Everyone sees that one guy get angry and thinks everyone is getting angry
-Shitstorm
-Rants
-Ponies
-Statistics
-Ponies

…relatively. Anyway great work on the statistic results opspe. As one of the posters who scored a near perfect Pinkie/Twilight break-even score on the personality test it really does make a level of sense.

Being half Pinkie Pie and half Twilight implies that my posts can toggle between being Intellectual/Serious and Humerous/Casual. Though not extreme both ways. This does reflect the posts I have made in this thread. In many of my posts I try to be light-hearted but as soon as other people get serious around me, I change tone quickly and respond with equal seriousness However, how serious or humorous I post never matches those who dedicate their posts to those emotions

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 10:37PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

You know you love it Ric

Well there was one picture that involved RandomMan that I really liked.

But for the most part:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I HAD TO GET INVOLVED!
Well I'm going to bed now, night everypony!

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 01:18AM EST

I love how threads can’t even be made anymore without it dissolving into a pony-related flamewar.

Well that's Thomas Nair for you. He kind of brought that upon himself, everything was going just fine until he started his usual Brony hate. Nobody else is to blame. I think its funny that about 5-6 Bronies all jumped on his case and started trolling him.

Look on the bright side, your thread may have been derailed but it delivered. The rants were so much fun to read and you brought the LULS

I say mission accomplished even if Abra comes along and locks it

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 01:31AM EST

opspe wrote:

Well it sounds like you guys want a case-by-case runthrough, so here you are. This is the poster data that I used in my analysis.

But before you read: These are my and BSOD's opinions only, and they are NOT up for debate. You may not agree with them, but please, don't give me shit about it – I'm not going to change anything at this stage.

Algernon – Serious, Humorous, Intellecual
Berry Punch – Humorous, Images, Casual
BSOD – Serious, Humorous, Intellectual
burning_phoenix – Serious, Intellectual, Witty
CitationNeeded – Serious, Humorous, Passionate, Images
Connor – Humorous, Images, Casual
dac-attack!!!! – Serious, Humorous, Passionate
Daniel Vazquez – Humorous, Images, Witty, Casual
Dr. Greg – Serious, Humorous, Images, Casual
Drpepperfan – Images, Casual
Fridge Logic – Images, Casual
Iambob – Serious, Humorous, Intellecual, Witty
Iamslow – Humorous, Images
Ideological – Humorous, Images, Casual
IvanP91 – Serious, Humorous
lolstaz – Serious, Humorous, Casual
Muumi – Serious, Images, Casual
Notsocool – Humorous, Casual
opspe – Serious, Humorous, Intellectual
Owens – Serious, Humorous
RandomMan – Serious, Humorous, Images, Witty
Ric Tesla – Humorous, Images, Casual
Riyku Ku – Images, Casual
Sandwichman – Humorous, Casual
Verbose – Serious, Intellectual, Witty
X-singular – Humorous, Images, Casual

Where the fuck am I on this list?

Yeah that's because I was really active in the entire First Pony Thread, somewhat active in the second, hardly in the third, not in the fourth at all and a few posts here and there in this thread.

Anyways, here's the results.

http://www.iaza.com/work/111231C/iaza19613272023700.jpg
Forgot how to do images. (THISISTELLINGYOUTOTELLMEHOWTOMAKEPICTURES.TXT)

Actually I expected to get anything but Applejack, mainly because I am pretty lazy and I can't take the truth too well.

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 02:56AM EST

Okay, so I went to Equestria Daily and found this:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/season-2-episode-15-super-speedy-cider.html

I was excited, until the name "Flim Flam" came up.

I'm sorry, but I can't take this episode seriously with this stuck in my head the entire episode.

By the way, sorry for all these off topic posts…wait is there even a topic here?

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 03:43AM EST

Dunno if you guys have seen this, but there's some sort of hidden message or something.

I will only tell you to keep an eye for episodes 26/27/28 of the second season of FIM.
And yes, there will be *o** *r** ||i| c***a***r*.

What do you guys think the message is?
The last word is clearly "characters".
I would say "song from main characters", but that doesn't really fit in with the sentence.
THINKING CAPS, GO!

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 04:22AM EST

Some more evil characters. That has to be it.

I'm going to bed now. But before I do, let me reveal the source of Derpy's insanity.

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 04:39AM EST

opspe wrote:

Some more evil characters. That has to be it.

I'm going to bed now. But before I do, let me reveal the source of Derpy's insanity.

Well she just lost her emotion, she's stuck having that derp smile forever.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!