Forums / General

195,891 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General IV: Electric Scootaloo

Last posted Feb 19, 2012 at 11:26PM EST. Added Dec 15, 2011 at 11:43AM EST
9,955 conversations with 129 participants

Caramel wrote:

For whatever reason a saw a google search of “my little pony r34” in my mom’s recent searches. I think I’m fucked…

I’ll see if anything goes down.
Assume I’ll be gone for the next few days… or longer.

It was nice knowing you all!

“I was curious, mom.”


About the menstruation pic…


Another page conquered.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:25AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:20AM EST
Quote

i need to go to bed now goodnight everypony

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:42AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:40AM EST
Quote

Okay, I think that’s my cue to hit the road for the night. See ya everybody.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:02AM EST
Quote

So are we done with the image fiestas and menstruation? No? Fine Ill come back later. I was thinking of discussion but I’ll have to save that for another day yet again.

But I will add:

@Alicorn age

I’d say its because of their Alicorn genetics that they live for centuries since Alicorn = demigod, not specifically royalty or magic itself. At least that is what makes the most sense to me. I’m sure it really is that simple.

@Connor’s trolling

Nobody here thinks you are a troll Connor. I consider you just as much a Brony as everyone else here and your fanfics are proof that you are passionate about the fandom, more so than others are (including myself).

If you ever thought your actions were troll moves, guess again. The things you do are nothing compared to the real trolls on KYM. Just spend more time on the JFF forums and check out how the trolls roll over there. You are a really sensible poster compared to them.

@Pony creator OC’s

I didn’t think there was anything bad about them but seeing that comic did add some perspective. They really would be annoying if you saw enough of them

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 02:54AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 02:53AM EST
Quote

Well. Those few pages just happened. No thoughts. Just acknowledging their existence and my neutral feelings on the fact that they do exist and that I read them.
 
 
Back in my apartment. Don’t have much excuse to not post on KYM now.


Wasn’t thrilled about the episode, but I didn’t hate it either. I laughed out loud at a few points (e.g., when Granny Smith woke up and was talking to Cheerilee while being manipulated and not giving a flying flip… and then floats away at the end for no reason.)

Also dug the backstory of Ponyville along with some info on what this universe is like. Timberwolves (hilariously punny and terrifying creatures…Also, someone alert me if Ricky Rubio gets ponified because of that) and Zap Apples are neat concepts. I wonder if that came from the mind of Lauren Faust or from the other writers.


Speaking of Faust news, she’s going to be at BroNYcon? Neat stuff. Too bad it’s a full four hours away from Aerostat. I mean, I just drove 14 hours straight to get back to school, but yeah.

But if anyone lives closer than that or can brave a longer drive/flight, give us details, and please, please don’t let overzealous bronies scare Mrs. Faust or any of the team members off.


Back to the episode a bit: I thought a while ago that the world of FiM might be a bit bigger of a place than I had thought. It had a mythology, lots of characters, areas different from the rest of reality, physics and rules for magic…it’s kinda in-depth if you want to think about it.

But this episode confirmed that thought. The people conceiving the realities of Equestria have a ton of ideas for how this universe works. There is more to Equestria history than I had thought, and the team isn’t afraid to make episodes devoted to backstory. There are a lot of interesting creatures. Windigoes? Timberwolves? That’s awesome. And not only are there things like Zap Apples, but Studio B actually went into how they come about.

AND THE THING X-SINGULAR POINTED OUT. DUDE.

Just how big is Equestria? Random sometimes says that we overanalyze this show for little girls, but…Equestria’s universe may be just as detailed as the universe of shows for adults. We get a little piece of how detailed every few episodes. It’s genuinely cool.


Took 25 minutes to type that up. Damn, it feels good to type on a separate keyboard again and not with a stylus.


EDIT:

Oh, yeah. BSoD reminded me about your post.

You’re one of my favorite posters. I’ve told you on separate occasions that I think you’re an honest to God genius with a lot of interesting thoughts up there. I don’t really care about the R34. I have friends who are hyper-liberal, hyper-conservative, strongly atheist and believe that religion is detrimental to mankind (when I am a Christian, myself) and friends who speak in tongues (when I don’t actually believe in tongues.) It’s an aspect about you.

Don’t change the way you post. I can’t say that about a lot of posters (not that they should anyway,) but I like Connor the way he is now.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 03:08AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 03:03AM EST
Quote

So, it’s 1:30… Got any good topics to talk about?

One thing interesting about the episode was that it is the furthest back we’ve seen of Celestia in ‘film’ and not in stained glass or ancient books. So for at least the past 80 years she’s been exactly the same with multicolored mane. I personally love the idea that as the Princesses mature their manes becomes more magical.

Let’s see, what else?

Thank you all for liking me!

My mom ended up never saying anything about R34, so I’m safe for the rest of the night at least.

I really need to get to the next chapter and explain to you all about the 5 Elements of Harmony. But after that I have no idea what I’m going to talk about for another 3,000 words.

In other news about my fic, in case you cared, EqD responded (well, a prereader did) and I changed stuff and resubmitted it. Now I’ll wait for them to rip it apart and find new flaws.


I really do like how the thread is being today. I just wish the late night discussion would come back too.

What qualifications are there to be in the Late Night Debate Club?


Am I rambling? I think I am; have an image to make up for all this rambly text.

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:36AM EST
Quote

@Connor

To be brutally honest, entry into the Late Night debate Club consisted of only a few things:

-Being there are the right time (specifically when opspe invented the idea after a long discussion)
-Grabbing the logo and putting it in your profile

That’s how the original club members formed. But for everyone else it really is as simple as being a poster that contributes to more serious discussion topics that are engaged in thought instead of humor. You do not even need to be the type of poster that has a ton of things to say. You just need to be there.

So Connor if you want to be in the Club, go right ahead and stick the club logo in your profile and next time you see people wanting to have more considerable talk then join in. Sometimes you need to force the direction the thread is heading in order for a discussion to start, but the more people demand a discussion, the more likely it will happen.

Plus waiting for more people to go to bed helps too. (Hence the late night part)

Anyway. I want you to also take note that this is a normal length post in terms of Debate club standards so no, you are not rambling at all. You made a regular post as far as I am concerned. If you want rambling, take a look at the posts Phoneix made that span an entire screen height*

*I’m kidding, Phoneix doesn’t ramble. Rambling is when you pretty much go on about nothing

[edit]

One more thing. Last night this thought came into my head:

Imagine if for some inexplicable reason a Pony (any Pony) somehow was magically transported from the cartoon straight into the real world and was dumped not far from where you live.

Nobody saw the pony arrive, you are the first and only person to find it.

The Pony has absolutely no idea what happened, where it is, or what to do.

What would you do?

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 04:17AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 04:10AM EST
Quote

Connor wrote:

What qualifications are there to be in the Late Night Debate Club?

Oh, Connor…you can’t just choose to be in Debate Club. It has to choose you.

Lame pseudo-Soviet reversals aside, it’s pretty open, as long as you can string some words together to form a coherent and well-reasoned argument that doesn’t rely on images to explain complex ideas or emotions. You’re welcome to join, if you think you can handle it.

And about your fic: I think one thing you have to be prepared for when submitting it to EqD is that they will rip it apart. The same is true for anything: art, music, scientific publications, even non-Pony stuff (implying that my data analysis thing is probably the one and only MLP-FiM related “scientific publication”). That’s something I’ve tried to help Aero with before with his music; you just have to take the criticism in stride and, most importantly, remember that it’s not personal in any way.

Unless they say “Your fic is bad and you should feel bad.” But if they say that, they’re probably trolling anyways.


Since my previous discussion ideas were not introduced at an admittedly inappropriate time, they went over like lead balloons – which, thanks to Mythbusters, we know can actually float. Unfortunately I can’t really think of any other ideas at the moment, unless you want to discuss the evolutionary rationale behind how the Zap Apples developed. But I doubt even my parents (who are both botanists) would want to do that.

Also, it’s good to see you back Verbose.


Okay, so BSOD ninja’d me with the entry requirements.

And, ah, the reverse of what we talked about many pages ago. If a pony were to enter this world and I were to be the first to discover it, I think the most important thing to do would be to conceal it. Any scientist anywhere would love to get their hands on a sentient, nominally two-dimensional, pony. If it had no recollection of how it got here that would be understandable, but if it had no recollection of what/who it was before getting here, that would be more problematic. I don’t think it would be right to not try to help it remember; in a way, that would be forcing it to stay here against its will. I would help it try to remember what happened and who it was, and then try to figure out a way to get it back, because let’s face it, it probably couldn’t survive here very long. Especially not with all those scientists milling around.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 04:29AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 04:21AM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Imagine if for some inexplicable reason a Pony (any Pony) somehow was magically transported from the cartoon straight into the real world and was dumped not far from where you live.

Nobody saw the pony arrive, you are the first and only person to find it.

The Pony has absolutely no idea what happened, where it is, or what to do.

What would you do?

I’ve had a similar thought in my mind, but it involved the mane six, none of them speaking, and none of them seeming as if they were confused about being in this universe. They all have the personalities that we’ve seen from the show, but they just didn’t speak.
 
 
But as for your question, if I know the pony is a FiM pony, then I’d be cautious like opspe (good to be back. I just hope I didn’t make any bad habits by being social and stuff.) I don’t put much faith in humans. Many would try to gain wealth (or just money) by having an intelligent, talking pony. And scientists may not impose a greater level of ethics upon their selves in dealing with animals in the presence of a magical pony.

Yeah, I’d like to get it back to Equestria as soon as possible. Since I know where the pony came from (even if it didn’t,) I could bring it up to speed pretty quickly (via YouTube!) I could also get it up to speed as to why it didn’t want to be in this universe. From there, we’d go back to the last (if any) memory where the pony was in Equestria. See if the process could be duplicated in this universe, and try to get it back. Meanwhile, I would share the joys of ramen and pinto beans for sustenance.
 
 
If it was an Earth Pony or a pegasus though, then I’d be really doubtful that we could get the pony back. We don’t have magic or technology that is close to magic seen in FiM. If that was the case, then I’d let the adult pony make its own decision after informing it about the world.

Do you want to stay cooped up with me never to see what’s good about this new world?
Do you want to stay with me, but go out in public as well?
Do you want to try to contact some people in academia who might have some grasp of how to try to go about getting you home?
 
If it was just a filly, then I’d have to become a parent of sorts. I’d probably say that the filly shouldn’t go into the world to be seen. Occasionally, we might sneak out in the dead of night to see stuff, and it’d hide itself in a plastic bin I could carry to and from my car if we needed to drive somewhere, but I couldn’t let an truly innocent youth be exposed to a world entirely different from what that pony is.


Oh, let me throw in that FEELING PINKIE KEEN has gotten 2% of the vote. Higher than Swarm of the Century. More than Dragonshy.

Aw, yeaaa…

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 05:17AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 05:14AM EST
Quote

I tend to think that a unicorn with amnesia would be just as stuck as an earth pony or a pegasus, because as humans we have no way of training it to do magic it may have forgotten or may not have known in the first place. The best bet for getting it back would probably be to talk to some fringe scientists who deal with the Many Worlds theorem and stuff. The world of mainstream science is too…rabid – all they’d want to do is study the pony; you would need someone a little crazy, say, in between Einstein and the Time Cube guy.


I’m starting to see strong parallels between this and the Truman Show. Damn it, where’s burning_phoenix?


ramen and pinto beans

Truly these are greatest foods. Known to university students, at least.


I hate to leave so soon but I really have to go to bed. Let’s start sooner than 1:30 next time, yeah? I don’t want to get too sleep-deprived just yet, the term just started after all.

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:30AM EST
Quote

Assume the Pony has some idea of who it is. It doesn’t have amnesia, it just has no idea what the hell just happened. It was happily frolicking in tall grass and then POOF, its in your back yard…

But yes, do assume some equestrian magic was involved. That’s why the situation does change depending on the type of Pony. A unicorn would stand a chance of replicating the magic used against it to get itself out but anything else would be utterly trapped.

Lets say I looked out my window one morning and just saw Rainbow Dash milling around out there. The first thing I would do is freak the hell out.

Because remember she would probably look like this in our universe:

[edit]
I’m also looking for that picture where Flutters and Dash are painted with disturbingly realistic faces, can anyone help me with that?
[/edit]

Once I collect my senses. I’d have to approach her somehow without terrifying her and causing her to run off. She might not be able to fly in our universe due to our differing physics but she can still run and you know what would happened if a bright blue pegasus just started storming around the public streets.

Rainbow Dash may listen to reason if the first thing I bring up is the fact that I know who she is and where she is. Since she has no idea, she might just listen. If I can manage that, I’ll get to stay in my garage and feed her my lawn clippings until I figure out what the hell to do with her.

Seriously, I wouldn’t have a damn clue. At some point, hopefully after informing her as much about this world as I could, I’d have to give her up to some institution that could monitor her better and hope Twilight Sparkle eventually comes to pick her up at some point.

Getting word of her out to the right authorities would be difficult. Alerting the general media would be a bad idea, “Man smuggles actual ‘My Little’ Pony in garage” is a headline I don’t want people reading. That would warrant extremely unwelcome publicity.

Come to think of it, who can you trust with this Pony?

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 06:00AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 05:41AM EST
Quote

So, did anypony watch the stream of Bronycon yesterday? Sadly I felt to tired to watch Bronypalooza, it was around 4:30 am here in Sweden.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 07:16AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 07:15AM EST
Quote

I’m about to TL;DR for all of you who usually await gifs in my posts, if someone actually reads this post, quote it or up-vote it or whatever, I seriously can’t tell what’s the right time for debate from my timezone…


Regarding the age matter most of us can’t understand the fact that the planet ponies live on is NOT Earth, if Celestia controls the sun what makes you think their “Day” is the same length as ours? or for that matter what makes you think that their “Hour” refers to the exact same amount of time we call “Hour”?

Even the four seasons are different! if we are to assume that episodes are in chronological order, Winter precedes Spring(Winter wrap up) which in turn precedes Fall(Fall weather friends), and seemingly their are some sort of 2 winters each year(in Hearth Warming Eve it’s snowing without mention of another winter wrap up)

I know that the most widely accepted theory is that the episodes are not ordered chronologically, but that doesn’t change the fact that Celestia controls (more or less) the notion time!

Lauren Faust once mentioned that she originally planned ponies to live up to 50-60 years just like real horses, thus explaining the level of maturity the mane 6 posses.
physically they should be between 12 and 16 (earth)years old, which would equal 18-23 in horse-years(again earth).

There is a huge possibility that an Equestrian Year is as long as an Earth’s Horse-year, which would make Granny smith 80 Equestrian years-old,and 50 years-old here on Earth!
Now I know this talk of a different world may sound ridiculous, but remember that even when we hear the ponies speak we are just hearing a translation of their language, their written letters may look vaguely Cyrillic, but by comparing the length of the written word and the length of the “Translation” we can deduct that this is in fact not a Human language.



Another example is their numbers.
So when we hear Twilight say “8 foot pole” keep in mind the following:

1. This sentence would have been pronounced in an entirely different matter if the ponies were actually speaking Equestrian. We are hearing the English translation of it.

2. The word Foot here is a simple approximation of their original measuring units to ours, they probably use Hoof as measuring unit. Real Life Example: Since my country uses the Metric system when a character in an American film says “100 Miles” the subtitles here says"160 KM".

3. Even their Numeral system should be different than ours! throughout human history the Decimal Numeral system was favored because of it’s relation to our Ten digits, even in non-positional numeral systems such as Roman Numerals there was always special emphasis on the numbers 5 and 10, M C L X V (again the number of digits the human hand(s) possesses).
If I was to guess I’d say they’d use the Quaternary Numeral system seeing that they have 4 hooves, now I know you might say that if we are to count all limbs our base count should be 20 not 10, but remember Ponies call all their limbs “legs”, whereas our limbs are specialized in different tasks.
and of course there is always the chance that they adopted their Numeral system from other civilizations, and that it could be Decimal (if the civilizations are Extinct Humans,Alien Humans,Dragons….etc etc) Numeral System migration did happened with us humans, so I’d say it’s plausible if it happened with ponies.


Now regarding the Pony on our earth:
The picture you posted of a Rainbow Dash as a horse is as ridiculous as posting a picture of me as an ape and saying that’s how I would look like in Equestria.
The Equestrian Pony refers to three sapient subspecies belonging to the Equidae family, separate from the Equus genus which our Horses belong to.
Just like how Humans belong in the Hominidae family but are the only species in the Homo genus.


as for what would I do with a pony, I can’t emphasis this enough,
I would make INSTANT arrangements to move the pony OUT of Syria.

Even if it means giving him away to a laboratory somewhere safe, a battlefield is no where for a pony to exist, nor is it a good place for it to learn about my species, I’m staying in this place fully knowing that it could be the death of me, one of our family’s friends lost seven of his brothers as well as his aunt, I do NOT need another life to worry about, especially not one as fragile as a pony’s.


Again: please up-vote this post or quote it or write on my wall if you read it, I SERIOUSLY have no idea what is considered late night for all of you.
if I posted this in an inappropriate time I’ll just copypasta it to the next debate.

[EDIT]
inb4 we over-analyze a cartoon for kids

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 09:20AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 08:59AM EST
Quote

X wrote:

I’m about to TL;DR for all of you who usually await gifs in my posts, if someone actually reads this post, quote it or up-vote it or whatever, I seriously can’t tell what’s the right time for debate from my timezone…


Regarding the age matter most of us can’t understand the fact that the planet ponies live on is NOT Earth, if Celestia controls the sun what makes you think their “Day” is the same length as ours? or for that matter what makes you think that their “Hour” refers to the exact same amount of time we call “Hour”?

Even the four seasons are different! if we are to assume that episodes are in chronological order, Winter precedes Spring(Winter wrap up) which in turn precedes Fall(Fall weather friends), and seemingly their are some sort of 2 winters each year(in Hearth Warming Eve it’s snowing without mention of another winter wrap up)

I know that the most widely accepted theory is that the episodes are not ordered chronologically, but that doesn’t change the fact that Celestia controls (more or less) the notion time!

Lauren Faust once mentioned that she originally planned ponies to live up to 50-60 years just like real horses, thus explaining the level of maturity the mane 6 posses.
physically they should be between 12 and 16 (earth)years old, which would equal 18-23 in horse-years(again earth).

There is a huge possibility that an Equestrian Year is as long as an Earth’s Horse-year, which would make Granny smith 80 Equestrian years-old,and 50 years-old here on Earth!
Now I know this talk of a different world may sound ridiculous, but remember that even when we hear the ponies speak we are just hearing a translation of their language, their written letters may look vaguely Cyrillic, but by comparing the length of the written word and the length of the “Translation” we can deduct that this is in fact not a Human language.



Another example is their numbers.
So when we hear Twilight say “8 foot pole” keep in mind the following:

1. This sentence would have been pronounced in an entirely different matter if the ponies were actually speaking Equestrian. We are hearing the English translation of it.

2. The word Foot here is a simple approximation of their original measuring units to ours, they probably use Hoof as measuring unit. Real Life Example: Since my country uses the Metric system when a character in an American film says “100 Miles” the subtitles here says"160 KM".

3. Even their Numeral system should be different than ours! throughout human history the Decimal Numeral system was favored because of it’s relation to our Ten digits, even in non-positional numeral systems such as Roman Numerals there was always special emphasis on the numbers 5 and 10, M C L X V (again the number of digits the human hand(s) possesses).
If I was to guess I’d say they’d use the Quaternary Numeral system seeing that they have 4 hooves, now I know you might say that if we are to count all limbs our base count should be 20 not 10, but remember Ponies call all their limbs “legs”, whereas our limbs are specialized in different tasks.
and of course there is always the chance that they adopted their Numeral system from other civilizations, and that it could be Decimal (if the civilizations are Extinct Humans,Alien Humans,Dragons….etc etc) Numeral System migration did happened with us humans, so I’d say it’s plausible if it happened with ponies.


Now regarding the Pony on our earth:
The picture you posted of a Rainbow Dash as a horse is as ridiculous as posting a picture of me as an ape and saying that’s how I would look like in Equestria.
The Equestrian Pony refers to three sapient subspecies belonging to the Equidae family, separate from the Equus genus which our Horses belong to.
Just like how Humans belong in the Hominidae family but are the only species in the Homo genus.


as for what would I do with a pony, I can’t emphasis this enough,
I would make INSTANT arrangements to move the pony OUT of Syria.

Even if it means giving him away to a laboratory somewhere safe, a battlefield is no where for a pony to exist, nor is it a good place for it to learn about my species, I’m staying in this place fully knowing that it could be the death of me, one of our family’s friends lost seven of his brothers as well as his aunt, I do NOT need another life to worry about, especially not one as fragile as a pony’s.


Again: please up-vote this post or quote it or write on my wall if you read it, I SERIOUSLY have no idea what is considered late night for all of you.
if I posted this in an inappropriate time I’ll just copypasta it to the next debate.

[EDIT]
inb4 we over-analyze a cartoon for kids

OH HOLY SHIZZ, is there any type of “# of characters” limit on these posts!? You and your 8-foot polls and sun-manipulation and the other thing… keep it up. XD

Jan 08, 2012 at 09:06AM EST
Quote

@Rinsan

Please do not quote enormous posts!

Especially if you are only going to say one sentence in response.

Especially ESPECIALLY if its already right above you

Anyway, 5000 characters is the limit I think. Verbose and Phoneix have hit it before.


@x-singular

Read it through ;)

The picture you posted of a Rainbow Dash as a horse is as ridiculous as me posting a picture of me as an ape and saying that’s how I would look like in Equestria.

We are thinking on different levels here. Remember that Equestia is a cartoon dimension where physical proportions are all entirely distorted and have no respect to any of our currently understood systems of physics.

A pony going from Equestria to Earth is like a human going from our 3-dimensional universe into a 4-dimensional universe.

The regular Equestrian body as it is, cannot possibly exist, let alone function in our universe without that consistency with our universes own physics unless we assume that a pony in transit to our world from Equestria would instantly adopt to a more “realistic” form that is consistent with our physical dimensions, including subatomic dimensions

Now I understand your point that the Pony would not end up looking like a real life horse. Fair enough, it can’t just mutate a whole new bodily structure in a flash. However it cannot maintain its cartoon appearance either. It would still look like this:

Either way some transformation is necessary. Otherwise you would not recognize the pony at all, you would just see a shapeless 2-dimensional mass.

Likewise I believe that if I myself was to enter equestria, I too would not turn into an ape as you say but a cartoonified version of myself that is consistent with cartoon physics

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 09:39AM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 09:31AM EST
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

I think me and Dan are on the same wave length, should I be worried?

Do you know about the Dan VS FIM tumblr? Hilarious stuff!

http://dan-vs-fim.tumblr.com/


Now, I’m glad we’re back to Walls o’ text but I’m afraid that I can’t join you fellows tonight. I just finished a 2500 word essay and I’m all tuckered out.

“But Fenix! You post 3000 word pony stories like it was nothing!”

That indeed I do but I don’t know WHAT demonic magic this essay had on it but….It just wouldn’t come out. I’ve spent the last three days cooped in my house with a massive writer’s block the size of Canterlot typing something like 50 words an hour (to give you some context, I typed those huge 3000 word posts in about an hour or two).

When I finished, I found out that I am massively behind on my work on www.gamingbus.com I fell asleep at 12 noon and woke up at 12 midnight, which was about 4 hours ago. So….yeah. I’m not in any position to post tl;dr. Sorry folks.

I do read all your stuff though, the thread moved fast!

Jan 08, 2012 at 10:46AM EST
Quote


I’m seriously questioning how in the Hell Hasbro approved these ads.
It’s a little girls show.

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:34PM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:


I’m seriously questioning how in the Hell Hasbro approved these ads.
It’s a little girls show.

Newspaper ad? Just saying, I don’t see that reaching a lot of kids. Its cool none the less.

Jan 08, 2012 at 12:40PM EST
Quote

@Cite
Remember what Faust set out to do with this show:

Yes, it’s made for little girls, but it was never intended to be ‘girly’, or at least not excessively so. It’s meant to appeal to parents as well, hence why they’ve snuck in so many mature references (Huffy the Magic Dragon, punch has been ‘Spiked’, Big Lebowski etc). They’re allowed to be a bit risky in the show with stuff like that, so why not do the same for advertisements? I think it makes MLP seem less girly and bit cooler, so it makes the show appeal to a larger audience.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 12:56PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 12:55PM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:


I’m seriously questioning how in the Hell Hasbro approved these ads.
It’s a little girls show.

>implying MLP is a show for little girls

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:16PM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:


I’m seriously questioning how in the Hell Hasbro approved these ads.
It’s a little girls show.

You forget that Faust said she made the show for EVERYONE, not just little girls, and the ads are pretty much proving that.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:29PM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:


I’m seriously questioning how in the Hell Hasbro approved these ads.
It’s a little girls show.

BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME, THAT’S WHY.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:31PM EST
Quote

@dac-attack!!!!
If I’m not mistaken that’s the third time that’s been posted here.
Although it is pretty awesome.
EDIT: Nope, turns out it was the second time.
Although it was first posted in the middle of a massive post frenzy of page 69.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:39PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:35PM EST
Quote

Lolstaz wrote:

@dac-attack!!!!
If I’m not mistaken that’s the third time that’s been posted here.
Although it is pretty awesome.
EDIT: Nope, turns out it was the second time.
Although it was first posted in the middle of a massive post frenzy of page 69.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:42PM EST
Quote

I detect CarMac!

Honestly though, whoever made this (Stinkehund apparently) did some damn good shading.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:43PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:42PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

I detect CarMac!

Honestly though, whoever made this (Stinkehund apparently) did some damn good shading.

I sense a couple episode references in that pic. Late comment on yesterday’s episode. Second time Dr. Whooves showed up in an Apple Bloom episode.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:46PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:44PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

I detect CarMac!

Honestly though, whoever made this (Stinkehund apparently) did some damn good shading.

That picture is awesome. Also, I love that Fluttershy has a seal in her cart there.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:47PM EST
Quote

Hey, it’s not like I’m opposed to the ad. On the contrary, I think it’s pretty damn cool. I’m just amazed how much it can get away with.
I know what Faust said about it being for everyone, but that doesn’t really change the fact that it’s primarily viewed as a girl’s show. And even without the “girl’s show” thing, it’s classified as family friendly. Last time I checked, Mad Men was definitely NOT a show for the whole family.
Like I said though, it’s a really cool ad.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:49PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:48PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

That picture is awesome. Also, I love that Fluttershy has a seal in her cart there.

I seal what you did there.

I’m gonna get graped, huh?

@Citation: Neither was the Big Lebrowski but that didn’t stop Faust from referencing it.

Do not question the Creator.

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 01:58PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:49PM EST
Quote

@Cite: You’re right, that ad is fekking awesome. But it is interesting that they’ve consistently used ponifications of ads for adult-oriented TV series (Bridesmaids too, remember).

@Everyone: I HIGHLY suggest you check out Stinkehund’s DevArt. He has a lot of non-pony (mostly Star Trek) stuff, but what pony art there is shows that that guy is really, really talented.

@Aero: Here’s a question: who do you worship more, her or Celestia?

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 02:01PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 01:58PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

@Cite: You’re right, that ad is fekking awesome. But it is interesting that they’ve consistently used ponifications of ads for adult-oriented TV series (Bridesmaids too, remember).


Eeyup, that’s just what I was thinking.

Not to mention the Poltergeist one…

And of course, The Big Lebowski and other references.
I’m not saying they’re bad, I’m just saying I’m amazed how they can get away with that stuff.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:01PM EST
Quote

badsitrep wrote:

One page in and we already have downvotes……

Is Dashie’s handcannon made of a xylophone…?

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:01PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

@Cite: You’re right, that ad is fekking awesome. But it is interesting that they’ve consistently used ponifications of ads for adult-oriented TV series (Bridesmaids too, remember).

@Everyone: I HIGHLY suggest you check out Stinkehund’s DevArt. He has a lot of non-pony (mostly Star Trek) stuff, but what pony art there is shows that that guy is really, really talented.

@Aero: Here’s a question: who do you worship more, her or Celestia?

Dear Celestia….

It’s awesome.
That’s a good question. Let’s see.

Awesome, Creator of MLP.


Awesome, Ruler of Equestria.

I may need to fall back on one of my confessions:

Last edited Jan 08, 2012 at 02:06PM EST
Jan 08, 2012 at 02:01PM EST
Quote
@Citation: Neither was the Big Lebrowski but that didn’t stop Faust from referencing it.

This, neither was Poltergeist, which the ad for the second season was based off of.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:02PM EST
Quote

opspe wrote:

@Cite: You’re right, that ad is fekking awesome. But it is interesting that they’ve consistently used ponifications of ads for adult-oriented TV series (Bridesmaids too, remember).

@Everyone: I HIGHLY suggest you check out Stinkehund’s DevArt. He has a lot of non-pony (mostly Star Trek) stuff, but what pony art there is shows that that guy is really, really talented.

@Aero: Here’s a question: who do you worship more, her or Celestia?

Did you say Star Trek? I might have to check that out.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:04PM EST
Quote

Speaking of suggesting art stuff, may I recommend the Ask the Crusaders tumblr? Okay, so there’s a bit of annoying “Please donate to artist” crap going on, but it’s still a great tumblr. The art is just like the show, and the characters act perfectly as they’re depicted in canon. It’s like watching/reading a short episode.

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:04PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!