Forums / Discussion / General

170,355 total conversations in 5,458 threads

+ New Thread

The Best Fake Wikipedia Entry Ever

Last posted Dec 16, 2011 at 05:54PM EST. Added Dec 15, 2011 at 06:46PM EST
11 posts from 10 users

A Wikipedia user named Ned Scott made a rather detailed entry about something called the Upper Peninsular War. The thing is, this war never happened – Scott made the whole thing up, for naught but, it appears, teh lulz.

Link

Seriously, this guy should get a medal or something.

Dec 15, 2011 at 06:46PM EST

Damn, that’s impressive. I would have believed it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 07:03PM EST

I see you are an avid Reddit lurker as well.

Dec 15, 2011 at 07:04PM EST

Well considering that the U.P. is similar to Canada someways (stereotypically) it seems like something that could’ve really happened.

Dec 15, 2011 at 07:21PM EST

If I didnt know it was fake from the thread title, I would’ve believed it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 08:23PM EST

Piano wrote:

I see you are an avid Reddit lurker as well.

Actually, I found this on The Daily What. It’s where I get most of my net news/info.

Dec 15, 2011 at 09:09PM EST

Ned Scott actually isn’t the one who created it-- timeline:

May 1st User:Tjproechel creates page

May 7th, User:Qmwne235 tags page for automatic deletion with the comment:Various searches on Google and Wikipedia failed to turn up even one relevant result. There is one non-User page or WikiProject page in the “What Links Here”, and only one contributor has made substantive edits. It would seem that someone went to extreme lengths to make this seem like it exists.

May 9th, Qmwne235 removes automatic deletion tag and instead starts a deletion discussion at AfD(Articles for deletion), the outcome of which was ultimately to move it to user space(currently Ned Scott’s user space) and keep it for its humor.

Btw you can go here to view a list of long-standing hoax articles on Wikipedia, as well as here for a list of hoaxes sorted by how long they lasted before being deleted.

Dec 16, 2011 at 05:54PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!