Forums / Discussion / General

170,403 total conversations in 5,460 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Staff AMA: Don

Last posted Dec 29, 2011 at 02:55AM EST. Added Dec 19, 2011 at 10:47PM EST
54 posts from 17 users

Hey I’m Don and this is an AMA thread for me, your staff member. Hi.

This is Blake Boston and I from the Hallomeme party:

ASK ME ANYTHING

Last edited Dec 19, 2011 at 10:47PM EST
Dec 19, 2011 at 10:47PM EST

Skitch the Wolf, KYM Community Pet wrote:

What’s your favorite thing to do in KYM?

I’m really into meme research and analytics. I get a nerdy satisfaction unlocking origins and key points of spread, and I love to dive into our traffic numbers and see what’s going on.

I also really enjoy going through images and videos for the “notable examples” sections.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:52PM EST

What do you personally feel about the Chevy Sonic campaign?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56PM EST

I know it’s not really about you, but I’m just wondering- Is Blake really a scumbag? Without his hat, he actually seems kind of ok.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:57PM EST

What’s your favorite Wolf Just image?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:01PM EST

Dane wrote:

Don, why are you so wonderful?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:06PM EST

Hey Don, the amount of material you submit to this site is incredible. What keeps you so motivated?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:08PM EST

Mister J wrote:

What do you personally feel about the Chevy Sonic campaign?

I think the language could’ve been better, but ads don’t really bother me that much as long as the entry integrity remains intact. It was the first time we did something like that, so we are having to figure out what works and what doesn’t when it comes to these campaigns. We want the ads to support the site, and not do any harm.

tl;dr version: my priority is keeping the entries filled with accurate information.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:10PM EST

Outside of Korean chicken, what is your favorite thing to eat for lunch?

What’s your least favorite entry that you’ve worked on?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:12PM EST

Patrick wrote:

I know it’s not really about you, but I’m just wondering- Is Blake really a scumbag? Without his hat, he actually seems kind of ok.

He is a really interesting guy. Before this whole Scumbag Steve thing happened, he had no idea about the Internet outside of sites like Facebook and Google. After realizing he was Internet famous, he embraced it and got a Twitter account, a Tumblr and started using Reddit. I think it is absolutely fascinating. When I met him, he seemed like a real nice dude.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:14PM EST

Austin wrote:

What’s your favorite Wolf Just image?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:16PM EST

Alex wrote:

Hey Don, the amount of material you submit to this site is incredible. What keeps you so motivated?

I think this is the best site on the Internet and I honestly feel that documenting and preserving Internet culture is important. I love my job. :)

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:22PM EST

amanda b. wrote:

Outside of Korean chicken, what is your favorite thing to eat for lunch?

What’s your least favorite entry that you’ve worked on?

Shake Shack! Everyone should check out James’ site: http://shakeshack.cheezburger.com/

That’s a tough question. Planking really started boring the hell out of me, but Jenna Marbles is the worst.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:28PM EST

Three questions:

First off, what is your absolute favorite entry you’ve ever worked on? I’d imagine you have at least 90% of the entire database to choose from, so choose wisely.

Second, Know Your Meme seems like a really fun place to work. What’s it like?

Final Question. I was working on the Death of Kim Jong-il entry late last night, and I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to embed the Twitter trending widget; it aggravated me so much, in fact, that I decided to turn in the towel and go to sleep. Then I wake up a few hours later to find, lo and behold, our Dear Badass Administrator Don had put it on utilizing his mad internet science-magic skillz.
So my question is, simply, how did you do that, man?!

I think mellow said it was your birthday today, so I hope it was a good one!

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:29PM EST

Olivia Gulin wrote:

How do you feel about my penis being in your butt right now?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:31PM EST

Fridge wrote:

Three questions:

First off, what is your absolute favorite entry you’ve ever worked on? I’d imagine you have at least 90% of the entire database to choose from, so choose wisely.

Second, Know Your Meme seems like a really fun place to work. What’s it like?

Final Question. I was working on the Death of Kim Jong-il entry late last night, and I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to embed the Twitter trending widget; it aggravated me so much, in fact, that I decided to turn in the towel and go to sleep. Then I wake up a few hours later to find, lo and behold, our Dear Badass Administrator Don had put it on utilizing his mad internet science-magic skillz.
So my question is, simply, how did you do that, man?!

I think mellow said it was your birthday today, so I hope it was a good one!

IT IS SO HARD TO PICK! I really enjoyed working on X all the Y; I love that meme. “Fucking magnets” was the first big entry I worked on, so it has a special place in my heart. I hate to admit it, but Emo Dad may be the entry I am most proud of bringing to KYM.

Working at Know Your Meme is awesome! I work with the best team in the entire world. Everyone is really smart, gets the Internet and is fun to hang out with.

Just copy and paste the Twitter code and change the two parts of it that have the search result. For example, on the Kim Jong Il entry there are two parts of that Twitter code that say ‘Kim Jong’. Just replace what is in the quotes with whatever you want the Twitter search to be.

It was actually Brad’s birthday today!

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:12AM EST

Do you believe in ghosts and/or evolution?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:48AM EST

What is that dude’s name who works at the table behind us who likes Reddit? I forgot and I feel weird asking him

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:49AM EST

Austin wrote:

Do you believe in ghosts and/or evolution?

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I think that evolution by natural selection is one of the best ideas anyone ever thought of.

My favorite book:

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 09:51PM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:52AM EST

amanda b. wrote:

What is that dude’s name who works at the table behind us who likes Reddit? I forgot and I feel weird asking him

I can’t remember either! I hope he doesn’t visit our forums.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:53AM EST

Don wrote:

I can’t remember either! I hope he doesn’t visit our forums.

Oh my god I’m sorry dude with glasses who likes Reddit, you are really awesome but we are really bad at names.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:58AM EST

What is your favourite thing about the Know Your Meme web series? How do you feel about the videos in relation to the site?

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:08AM EST

Aww!! My title on here is still ‘Meme Expert’.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:08AM EST

There’s no reaction face for Molly posting, pictures cannot describe.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:11AM EST

Molly wrote:

What is your favourite thing about the Know Your Meme web series? How do you feel about the videos in relation to the site?

I feel like the new series has been improving with each episode. I thought the last Skyrim catchphrases video went over really well, and I laughed at the ending. I think the videos provide a nice tl;dr version of the entries for people that want a quick overview.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:14AM EST

madcat wrote:

There’s no reaction face for Molly posting, pictures cannot describe.

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 01:15AM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 01:14AM EST

Molly wrote:

I stand corrected.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:25AM EST

Skitch the Wolf, KYM Community Pet wrote:

What are your hobbies?

I like to play video games; I just beat Skyrim and Arkham City. I’m into all kinds of music, but I really love weird electronic crap. I used to keep up with MMA stuff but not so much anymore. Grappling was the only sport I ever really liked. I spend a lot of my free time on the Internet. I like to read about evolution, neuroscience, politics, technology, culture and travel. Radiolab is my favorite radio show. Game of Thrones, Louie, Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation and Kenny Powers are my fav TV shows. I go to the gym like 2-3 times a week. I like to mess around with electronic devices like my Android phone and LED lights. I watch a lot of movies.

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 01:26AM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 01:25AM EST

Recently under the websites current administration, there has been a lot more of a push to document all emerging internet culture and events, as opposed to just memes themselves. Has this been an intentional goal or do you think it has happened more organically?

Do you think the documentation of internet culture will be considered a valid goal in the future? I mean to say that as of now, there is the perception that the internet and all the jokes and going-ons on it are primarily a young and immature audience. Do you think that internet research will soon be viewed as a mature field of study?

Our current generation makes heavy use of the internet. What do you foresee as a problem arising from this quick spread of information, jokes, and culture, and what do you believe may become a problem of the past of the same?

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:18AM EST

Don wrote:

I don’t believe in ghosts, but I think that evolution by natural selection is one of the best ideas anyone ever thought of.

My favorite book:

I’m reading this right now and I have to say, it is a really great book. I can really feel the science fictionesque basis Dawkins has. I would suggest it as a read to anyone interested in how genetics influences us and how we interact.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:20AM EST

Don wrote:

Final question for tonight…

Do you have any idea where this is from, because it’s fucking fantastic.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:21AM EST

What do you think about North Korea’s change in the last few days?

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 04:16AM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 04:16AM EST

Currently the amount of memes that is being created and gains popularity is rising. Whereas first the amount of memes was not that much, currently we’re seeing a new advice animal nearly every week for example.

Do you think it’s good that memes are getting more attention and that more are being made (including the bad attemps of people trying to make their own), or are memes better of in fewer numbers?

With that rise in popularity we can also see memes being used more often. For example, the “arrow to the knee” jokes aren’t nearly a month old, yet people already start calling them overused.

Is it a good thing that memes are getting more attention, to the level that they risk becoming overused?

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 09:33AM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 09:31AM EST

Chris wrote:

Recently under the websites current administration, there has been a lot more of a push to document all emerging internet culture and events, as opposed to just memes themselves. Has this been an intentional goal or do you think it has happened more organically?

Do you think the documentation of internet culture will be considered a valid goal in the future? I mean to say that as of now, there is the perception that the internet and all the jokes and going-ons on it are primarily a young and immature audience. Do you think that internet research will soon be viewed as a mature field of study?

Our current generation makes heavy use of the internet. What do you foresee as a problem arising from this quick spread of information, jokes, and culture, and what do you believe may become a problem of the past of the same?

Launching entry categories was one of my top goals when I first joined KYM. In order for KYM to be a comprehensive database about Internet culture and meme culture, we needed to be able to cover events, subcultures, sites and people. I am so glad we were able to launch the categories this year and I think they have been a huge success.

Yes I believe it will and I think this is a great thing. See this article on the Smithsonian Institute.

I’m pretty much a techno-optimist, so in general I think the Internet is a positive force in the world. In terms of the quick spread of information, I sometimes worry about bad people learning sophisticated propaganda techniques on the web to spread viral misinformation and manipulate people more effectively.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:15PM EST

Chris wrote:

Final question for tonight…

Do you have any idea where this is from, because it’s fucking fantastic.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16PM EST

Yo Don? Let’s get the details. How much money do you make as far as this site goes.

If not comfortable with a numerical amount, then use a not so vague description.

Also, I think it’s awesome you make a living doing what you love. It’s the best, I know that feel.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21PM EST

Sweatie Killer wrote:

What do you think about North Korea’s change in the last few days?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:25PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Currently the amount of memes that is being created and gains popularity is rising. Whereas first the amount of memes was not that much, currently we’re seeing a new advice animal nearly every week for example.

Do you think it’s good that memes are getting more attention and that more are being made (including the bad attemps of people trying to make their own), or are memes better of in fewer numbers?

With that rise in popularity we can also see memes being used more often. For example, the “arrow to the knee” jokes aren’t nearly a month old, yet people already start calling them overused.

Is it a good thing that memes are getting more attention, to the level that they risk becoming overused?

Advice animals have come to be an exceptionally good medium for telling jokes about stock characters and I think their success is largely due to how effective they are in presenting the joke. I really like advice animals, they make me laugh, so I think it is a good thing. Since we have ways to sort by popularity on sites like Quickmeme, score on Reddit and editorial choice on sites like Memebase, the volume of memes being created isn’t really annoying to me.

I think it depends on the meme when it comes to being overused. “Arrow to the knee” is a catchphrase, so it could be used in a variety of locations by a large number of people. A photoshop or video remix meme has a larger barrier to entry, so derivatives might be both more interesting and less frequent. Overused and annoying catchphrases have been around for as long as I can remember. “I’m Rick James bitch!”

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:39PM EST

hi Don. If you were the star of an emerging meme, how would you react?

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:21PM EST

Were would you put yourself on the Researcher scale compared to the other Researchers in the past?

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:12PM EST

Alex wrote:

Yo Don? Let’s get the details. How much money do you make as far as this site goes.

If not comfortable with a numerical amount, then use a not so vague description.

Also, I think it’s awesome you make a living doing what you love. It’s the best, I know that feel.

I’ll just say I won’t be retiring anytime soon. :)

Maybe one day I can get Chris Menning’s pile of money:

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 10:58PM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 09:31PM EST

Sav wrote:

hi Don. If you were the star of an emerging meme, how would you react?

I think the best course of action is to just embrace it like we saw Blake Boston do with Scumbag Steve. However, it really depends how you became the star of the meme and what the context of the meme is. If I starred in a of a horrifically embarrassing viral video, maybe I wouldn’t be as eager to embrace it compared to a more innocuous image macro series.

tl;dr: it depends.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:34PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Y U NO beard anymore?

Those things itch.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:35PM EST

Howdy! You must login or signup first!