Forums / Discussion / General

170,949 total conversations in 5,486 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Staff AMA: Amanda

Last posted Dec 25, 2011 at 12:49AM EST. Added Dec 19, 2011 at 11:47PM EST
77 posts from 24 users

hi i am amanda and i like the internet and working at KYM. ask me anything


this is me xing all of my y but I have purple hair now.

(inb4 no girls on the internet)

(i’m a lady)

Last edited Dec 19, 2011 at 11:48PM EST
Dec 19, 2011 at 11:47PM EST
Quote

What is your favorite cat video/image?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:49PM EST
Quote

Skitch the Wolf, KYM Community Pet wrote:

What is “Meme Librarian” specifically?

I am technically a librarian -- I have a Masters in Library & Information Sciences. I didn’t take traditional librarian classes though (I am a cataloging dropout), instead I focused on the information science part and studied trolling, tagging, tumblr, and anonymous, making my degree more about the internets than checking out books. Which is way more fun.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55PM EST
Quote

What is your favorite meme?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55PM EST
Quote

Mister J wrote:

What is your favorite cat video/image?

Recently, this little guy

my favorite cat of all time though is Blanketsaurus Rex

she says hi

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:00AM EST
Quote

madcat wrote:

What is your favorite meme?

All of them!!1111

It’s really hard to pick one. I think I use I know that feel bro the most so I will go with that one.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:04AM EST
Quote

If you could pick anyone, dead or alive, would it be the Beatles?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:14AM EST
Quote

Olivia Gulin wrote:

How do you feel about my penis being in Don’s butt right now?

TOO MUCH INFORMATION

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:15AM EST
Quote

Olivia Gulin wrote:

How do you feel about my penis being in Don’s butt right now?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:15AM EST
Quote

Austin wrote:

If you could pick anyone, dead or alive, would it be the Beatles?

is Mikey Erg in that band? Were they ever on Jade Tree or Polyvinyl? NO

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16AM EST
Quote

amanda b. wrote:

is Mikey Erg in that band? Were they ever on Jade Tree or Polyvinyl? NO

What that doesn’t really my question.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:18AM EST
Quote

What is your favorite pop punk band?

If you could travel back or forward in time, which way would you go and how far?

When did you first learn about the word “meme”?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:18AM EST
Quote

Austin wrote:

What that doesn’t really my question.

You just accidentally that sentence

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:28AM EST
Quote

If you were to recommend a book to us, what would it be?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:32AM EST
Quote

Don wrote:

What is your favorite pop punk band?

If you could travel back or forward in time, which way would you go and how far?

When did you first learn about the word “meme”?

The Ergs!, for sure.

Backward, 1920s!!! I would track down James Joyce and break history by showing him the internet. I think he would love Twitter.

Livejournal, as another word for survey, sometime around 2002 or 2003? And on ljdrama, RIP. Sometime by 2006 I learned about “meme” in our sense of the word. I had put together a folder of lolcats on my computer to try to investigate lolspeak for a linguistics class once. My professor called me an internet cat lady. If she could only see me now……….

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:37AM EST
Quote

amanda b. wrote:

The Ergs!, for sure.

Backward, 1920s!!! I would track down James Joyce and break history by showing him the internet. I think he would love Twitter.

Livejournal, as another word for survey, sometime around 2002 or 2003? And on ljdrama, RIP. Sometime by 2006 I learned about “meme” in our sense of the word. I had put together a folder of lolcats on my computer to try to investigate lolspeak for a linguistics class once. My professor called me an internet cat lady. If she could only see me now……….

<3 Livejournal.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:40AM EST
Quote

Patrick wrote:

If you were to recommend a book to us, what would it be?

One of my favorite books of all time is Wilson, a Consideration of the Sources by David Mamet. It’s really bizarre and told in fragments but it takes place far in a future where people have digitized all of history (no books exist anymore) but then the internet crashes and everything is lost. All of human kind’s history has to be pieced back together from people’s mis-remembered memories. It took me awhile to get through it but it was so great.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:42AM EST
Quote

Don wrote:

<3 Livejournal.

I cancelled my paid account last week, since I hadn’t posted for three years. RIP, lj.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:44AM EST
Quote

k1k1chan wrote:

What is your favorte Ape or Monkey species.

This marmoset is pretty rad

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:45AM EST
Quote

u liek pokemanz

A less important question: Is there any significance to your okayguy.jpg avatar?

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:01AM EST

What do you think about researchers emerging in this thread?

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:13AM EST
Quote

So, you’re a lady?
Does that mean I lost my chance of chatting you up?

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:43AM EST
Quote

Do you think internet research and research into memes and viral media will come to be seen as of the same validity to research as, say, that of emerging words that are being added into everyday vocabulary or other sorts of culture documentation, such as that of the recent riots?

Do you think we’re going to see other internet documentation sites in the vein of KYM, that is that they try to be factual and cite sources, anytime soon?

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:11AM EST
Quote

What do you hate the most on the internet?

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:19AM EST

How many girls are on the Internet?

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:33AM EST
Quote

We can see a rising influence of memes on mainstream media, with planking and other photo fads probably being the best example, but also events like #occupy.

Do you think memes will evolve in the future to a level that they gain more attention by the mainstream or perhaps even become mainstream, or do you think it will stop at a certain point?

Besides that, how are your 9001 penises doing?

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 09:26AM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 09:24AM EST
Quote

Living in NYC must be pretty rad. What’s it like in the concrete jungle wet dream tomato?

Also, that pic where you know all the memes is amazing. It should be your profile picture so we can see your marvelous face all the time. Okay guy is depressing…

Oh, and ponies, what is your opinion of them?

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:41AM EST
Quote

Verbose wrote:

u liek pokemanz

A less important question: Is there any significance to your okayguy.jpg avatar?

i herd i leikd mudkips, ya. I never finish the games though I get really bored.

What okayguy.jpg avatar? o.o

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:38AM EST
Quote

l. kacerosky wrote:

what is your favorite nacho?

ALL OF THEM.

The best nachos come from The Other End at Drew University. Also I made that website in Paint in 2006 and I’m really sad no one has updated it. SO GOOD

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:40AM EST
Quote

k1k1chan wrote:

are totchos > nachos ?

nachos > everything. not even tater tots can change that.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:42AM EST
Quote

madcat wrote:

What do you think about researchers emerging in this thread?

I am confused. Do you mean Kiki? I like Kiki.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:43AM EST
Quote

Tomberry wrote:

So, you’re a lady?
Does that mean I lost my chance of chatting you up?

Hahaha oh Tomberry, I know that you are only concerned with chatting up Molly. It’s okay.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:44AM EST
Quote

Chris wrote:

Do you think internet research and research into memes and viral media will come to be seen as of the same validity to research as, say, that of emerging words that are being added into everyday vocabulary or other sorts of culture documentation, such as that of the recent riots?

Do you think we’re going to see other internet documentation sites in the vein of KYM, that is that they try to be factual and cite sources, anytime soon?

YES. I mean, there’s been internet research as long as there’s been internet. Computer-mediated communication has been a really important area of study for several years now and more and more people are starting to emerge in internet culture studies. I was speaking with Whitney Phillips (who wrote an amazing paper on trolling Facebook memorial pages) about how we are at the forefront of the field and our professors don’t really know how to advise us because there is no precedent just yet. We are setting it. It’s scary and exciting but going into the unknown is awesome because you are creating something for other people to build on and make better. I really hope that internet culture becomes a more respected area of study -- it’s my dream. A physical institute of internet studies.

Going off of that, to answer your second question, eventually but I don’t know how soon. Other sites try, but the ones I’ve seen seem to care more about humor than being a resource.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:41PM EST
Quote

Sweatie Killer wrote:

What do you hate the most on the internet?

Loli always posts these gifs in IRC of hands with eyes embedded in them and just thinking about it makes me want to puke. Plz2not post any here thx

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:45PM EST
Quote

Mister J wrote:

How many girls are on the Internet?

2: me and olivia
everyone else = traps

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:46PM EST
Quote

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

Why aren’t you a femanon yet?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:50PM EST
Quote

How do I become a better meme researcher?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:58PM EST
Quote

How often do you fantasize about a hot lesbian threesome with you, Olivia, and Mellow?

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 03:24PM EST
Dec 20, 2011 at 03:17PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

How often do you fantasize about a hot lesbian threesome with you, Olivia, and Mellow?

We don’t need to fantasize. :3

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:42PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

We can see a rising influence of memes on mainstream media, with planking and other photo fads probably being the best example, but also events like #occupy.

Do you think memes will evolve in the future to a level that they gain more attention by the mainstream or perhaps even become mainstream, or do you think it will stop at a certain point?

Besides that, how are your 9001 penises doing?

This is a really good question. I doubt memes will ever totally hit mainstream, but I can see references definitely increasing over the years. People will stop caring, I think. Things evolve and change and while there’s going to be more crossover, there won’t ever be a tv show dedicated to featuring the newest advice animals on the regular. They are ideas though, internet or not, and I can see stuff like x all the y and i know that feel moving into language detached from their internet origins and making their way into lines on NBC comedies. But new words moving into language takes time, too. We’ll see. I’m in for this ride.

I traded them all in and am trying to rebuild my collection.

Dec 20, 2011 at 05:15PM EST
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Living in NYC must be pretty rad. What’s it like in the concrete jungle wet dream tomato?

Also, that pic where you know all the memes is amazing. It should be your profile picture so we can see your marvelous face all the time. Okay guy is depressing…

Oh, and ponies, what is your opinion of them?

I actually wouldn’t know ;_________________;
I live in New Jersey with my roommates (read: grandparents) because I still can’t find a place to live that I can both afford and bring my cat. So someday, maybe, I’ll have an answer to that question, Fridge. But I can tell you New Jersey is okay. Sometimes. I would much rather be living here, mostly so I wouldn’t have to take NJ transit on the daily. THE WORSTTTTT

Ha, thanks! I don’t know what everyone is talking about with this okay guy stuff…

Full disclosure: I have never seen an episode of MLP. I do however have a Twilight Sparkle at my desk because she has a library and is therefore the librarian pony. BRETHREN

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:21PM EST
Quote

Namaste! You must login or signup first!