Forums / Discussion / General

232,632 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

KYM? What's Your Accent?

Last posted Dec 31, 2011 at 08:19AM EST. Added Dec 20, 2011 at 10:57AM EST
60 posts from 37 users

I've got a Geordie accent (from Newcastle, North-East England. Don't ask why it's called that). Besides Liverpudlian, it's possibly the least posh English accent there is. When I used to go on Xbox Live, people would often mistake me for a Scot or an Irishman, so I'm assuming it sounds unfamiliar to people outside the UK. Here's an example:

(I sound like the crazy guy being interviewed, not the interviewer. Skip to 4:20 for lulz.)

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 05:21PM EST

Algernon wrote:

I've got a Geordie accent (from Newcastle, North-East England. Don't ask why it's called that). Besides Liverpudlian, it's possibly the least posh English accent there is. When I used to go on Xbox Live, people would often mistake me for a Scot or an Irishman, so I'm assuming it sounds unfamiliar to people outside the UK. Here's an example:

(I sound like the crazy guy being interviewed, not the interviewer. Skip to 4:20 for lulz.)

Not only are you from Newcastle as well, but you used a Ross Noble video. Not just A Ross Noble vid, my FAVOURITE Ross Noble video.

You are officially my new favourite person. Sorry Blubber. You've been replaced.

Algernon wrote:

Well, as long as you don't support the Toon I can still tolerate you.

Darnit, I really wanted to do this, but my laptop's getting fixed, and I don't have another computer with a decent microphone. I'll try and simply answer the questions in typing with phonetic spelling for now:

Your name and username
My real name and username are both Brucker, pronounced bruh' ker not broo' ker.

Meaning of your url and age
My tumblr url is bruckr.tumblr.com, the meaning of which I hope to be obvious. I am 39.

Where you’re from.
I have pretty much lived my whole life in California. Born in the Bay Area, went to elementary school in the Los Angeles area, high school in rural Northern California, college in Santa Cruz, then lived in Southern California for about 15 years after that.

Pronounce the following words:
Writing phonetically: awnt, roof (like "Ruth"), root, wawsh, oyl, thee'-uh-tur, ahyrn, sam'-uhn, cayr'-uh-mehl, fiy'-uhr, wah'-tuhr, shuhr, day'-tuh, roo'-ehn, cray'-awn, nawr'-linz, peh-kawn', bohth, uh-gehn', praw'-buh-blee, av'-uh-noo, lah'-yur, koo'-pawn, man'-ayz, puh-jaw'-muhz, kawt, nat'-cher-uh-lee, uh-loo'-muh-nuhm, gif (not "jif"), dor-nahb, ehn'-vuh-lohp, draw'-eng, tuh-may'-tow, aw'-fehn (the T is supposed to be silent, people), dawg, fehb'-roo-eh-ree (I pronounce the R, but don't know why), sih'-ruhp, lee'-zhuhr, uh-bowt', praw'-ses, sta'-tuhs, owr-guh-nuh-zay'-shun, owr'-uhnj, tawk, mow'-buhl, iy-dee'-uh, diy'-nuh-stee, reh'-nuh-sawns, pa'-truhn-iyz, brehk'-fuhst, drowr, howr'-uhr, urbz

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
TP-ing

What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
Soda

What do you call gym shoes?
Sneakers

What do you call your grandparents?
Gramma and Grampa

What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
Cart

What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
Remote (Being 39, I can remember when changing the channel meant walking up to the TV and turning a knob that only went up to 13.)

Choose a book and read a passage from it.
Not much point in this, but if I do a recorded one, I'll come up with something good.

Do you think you have an accent?
Yes. I tend to describe my accent as "Rural Northern California" which is like the "NorCal" accent described on the tvtropes page, with a dash of redneck.

Be a wizard or a vampire? [heh heh heh]
Wut?

Do you know anyone on Tumblr in real life?
No

What is the bug that when you touch it, curls into a ball?
Pillbug or roly-poly

What do you say to address a group of people?
I do like to use y'all, because I lament the Modern English language's lack of a distinction between second person singular and plural. It has nothing to with my accent, it's something I consciously added to my vocabulary.

What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
Daddy longlegs

What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
Sunshower, but we don't tend to have those in California.

End audio post by saying any three words you want.
Klaatu barada nikto.

Have you ever heard about Lena Meyer-Landrut? A 20-year-old girl from Germany who won the renowned Eurovision Song Contest back in 2010 with this song:

And yes…she has actually a british accent,even though her parents are both German.

I frickin' lover her accent…

Last edited Dec 31, 2011 at 06:17AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!