Forums / General

191,229 total conversations in 5,242 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Hi! My name is Jordan and I produce the KYM episodes...

Last posted Dec 30, 2011 at 06:21PM EST. Added Dec 28, 2011 at 05:59PM EST
59 conversations with 16 participants

Hello, friends!

Like the thread title says, my name is Jordan and I have been producing the 2011 KYM reboot. After launching 10+ episodes, I figured it’s time to come out of hiding and meet everyone! So hello!

I love music, film, video games, Disneyland, internet culture….typical stuff! Here’s Forest and I with horrible mustaches:

The old cast was amazing, and it’s been a challenge attempting to fill their shoes! I’d like to thank the community so much for all your support, feedback, and constructive criticism as we’ve rolled out these new episodes this year. I’m excited for more episodes in 2012, and to get more involved with the community!

If anyone has any random questions or would like to introduce themselves, please do! I’m the new kid on the block =)

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 06:00PM EST
Dec 28, 2011 at 05:59PM EST

Do you only produce the KYM episodes or have you done any other productions? How long have you been a producer? How did you get your start ie. school, PA > coordinater > UPM > producer, or did you just get thrown into it?

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:07PM EST

Favorite band and/or album?

Favorite video game series?

Favorite movie?

Favorite color?

Favorite commentator named Patrick?

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:11PM EST

Jordan Brokaw? I’m just gonna call you Jordan Bro.

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:16PM EST

- When creating a KYM episode, what is your role? Do you write the script, decide what gets featured, specific details like props and outfits, combinations of this and more? Is there a lot of stress with it?

- What episode was the most fun to work on?

- If you could launch any meme into orbit, what would it be?

- Pizza or nachos?

- You said you’re the new kid, but producing the episodes of course gives some knowledge. How was your experience with KYM so far? Any interesting things to share? What is your opinion on the community?

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:21PM EST

It’s always nice to have a new face on the videos. It helps changes things up a bit and keep stuff fresh, also helps us not to keep so attached to people in videos too. I hope you do good sir, and you are the lucky few that are apart of this great experience.

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:21PM EST

@Daniel: I’ve done a number of projects over the years. Commercials, music videos, etc. More recently I produced this Skyrim spoof,

I’ve been doing video editing and shooting since I was in middle school. I went to a technical college and got a two year degree in media production, but I learned way more about production just by going out and doing it!

@Patrick: It’s tough naming just one for each of your questions!

Anything by Harold Budd and Brian Eno.

Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy.

Indiana Jones trilogy, Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, etc. etc.

Some sort of subtle forest green.

The one right above this post!

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:23PM EST

Dinner wrote:

Jordan Brokaw? I’m just gonna call you Jordan Bro.

Or JoBro. Just like ScarJo, but less attractive!

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:24PM EST

Ric Tesla wrote:

It’s always nice to have a new face on the videos. It helps changes things up a bit and keep stuff fresh, also helps us not to keep so attached to people in videos too. I hope you do good sir, and you are the lucky few that are apart of this great experience.

Thanks for that feedback! We’re hoping to change some things up in 2012, and I think that might include some new faces from time to time.

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:25PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

- When creating a KYM episode, what is your role? Do you write the script, decide what gets featured, specific details like props and outfits, combinations of this and more? Is there a lot of stress with it?

- What episode was the most fun to work on?

- If you could launch any meme into orbit, what would it be?

- Pizza or nachos?

- You said you’re the new kid, but producing the episodes of course gives some knowledge. How was your experience with KYM so far? Any interesting things to share? What is your opinion on the community?

-I work with the KYM staff to choose the memes that will be featured in an episode. Brad, Don, and Amanda send me a over a fleshed out research document. I then write a script using that research as a reference. Forest and the staff all give notes and script suggestions for revisions before shooting. When we do have specific props and outfits, I make arrangements to find them. It can be stressful doing an episode a week with such a small team, but it’s a lot of fun!

-My Little Pony!

-“I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.” Call me a party pooper, but I always think it comes off as arrogant!

-PIZZUH.

-I’ve loved working with the KYM staff, they’re all wonderful people! I haven’t got to spend much time with the community yet, but I really like how they respond to the episodes. You all seem a lot more upbeat and optimistic than other communities, which is a breath of fresh air!

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:33PM EST

You had me at Brian Eno, Jordan… I found him on accident (through the Yoshida Brothers) and I’ve loved his music ever since!

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:33PM EST

I am Local44 and my wife is a UPM. I’ve been doing it for 7 years now, my wife 15 years.
What is the one thing you love about your job and what is the one thing you hate.

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:36PM EST

Patrick wrote:

You had me at Brian Eno, Jordan… I found him on accident (through the Yoshida Brothers) and I’ve loved his music ever since!

Ah, then I’ve found a friend! “Ambient 2” and “The Pearl” make me space out SO hard.

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:37PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

I am Local44 and my wife is a UPM. I’ve been doing it for 7 years now, my wife 15 years.
What is the one thing you love about your job and what is the one thing you hate.

I love working with creative and funny people, it makes shoots seem less like work and more like play.

I hate that I live on the opposite side of the country than the KYM staff, it would be a lot of fun to collaborate with them face to face!

Dec 28, 2011 at 06:50PM EST

OK pop quiz
What is a C47?
What is a pancake?
What goes on line 204?
What am I doing if I’m 10-1?
Why does the art dept. stand with there with their arms crossed? Because there isn’t enough room to go

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:08PM EST

Jordan Brokaw wrote:

Ah, thank you kind sir!

Thank RandomMan, haha. You don’t have to thank me just add me as a friend!

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:14PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

OK pop quiz
What is a C47?
What is a pancake?
What goes on line 204?
What am I doing if I’m 10-1?
Why does the art dept. stand with there with their arms crossed? Because there isn’t enough room to go

Clothes-pin
A box to stand on/board to hook things to
Don’t know this one
Taking a pee

Haha, how’d I do?

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:23PM EST

3 out 4 not bad
I thought I would stump you with C47. Not everyone knows that one. Hell it took me 2 years before I even heard that one.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:41PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

3 out 4 not bad
I thought I would stump you with C47. Not everyone knows that one. Hell it took me 2 years before I even heard that one.

We use them a lot on our shoots haha. Most notably when hanging a Spiderman dummy upside-down from the ceiling!

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:48PM EST

Have you met any of the older cast? How were they?

And do you support KristinaXForest?

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:21PM EST

On a tech scout in a field the 1st AD notices a hot air ballon and decides to see if they could use it for some aerial shots. He gets in and all of a sudden the ballon breaks free. He starts floating away. He’s calling out on walkie “HELP! HELP!”. A voice answers by saying “You’re floating away”. The 1st AD says “you must be a PA”. The voice answers “How did you know?”. The 1st AD says “Because you’re stating the obvious and not doing a damn thing to help”. The PA says “You must be the 1st AD. Because you’re FUCKED and somehow it’s my fault.”

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:23PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

On a tech scout in a field the 1st AD notices a hot air ballon and decides to see if they could use it for some aerial shots. He gets in and all of a sudden the ballon breaks free. He starts floating away. He’s calling out on walkie “HELP! HELP!”. A voice answers by saying “You’re floating away”. The 1st AD says “you must be a PA”. The voice answers “How did you know?”. The 1st AD says “Because you’re stating the obvious and not doing a damn thing to help”. The PA says “You must be the 1st AD. Because you’re FUCKED and somehow it’s my fault.”

Your wealth of production jokes is quite impressive! I wish I had a PA!

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:30PM EST

Mister J wrote:

Have you met any of the older cast? How were they?

And do you support KristinaXForest?

I haven’t gotten to meet any of the old crew, hopefully I will!

As for Kristina and Forest, well….it’s more fun to keep the mystery alive ; )

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:33PM EST

Jordan Brokaw wrote:

Let the shipping begin!

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 08:58PM EST
Dec 28, 2011 at 08:39PM EST

Patrick wrote:

Thank RandomMan, haha. You don’t have to thank me just add me as a friend!

That’s ok.

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 08:55PM EST
Dec 28, 2011 at 08:54PM EST

How do I pronounce your name? Is it “Hor-dan” or just “Jor-dan”?

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:06PM EST

Laser Pacer wrote:

How do I pronounce your name? Is it “Hor-dan” or just “Jor-dan”?

Just Jor-dan. Hor-dan is much more exotic, though! Or even Yor-dan.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:08PM EST

Ho(rolled r)dahn… So exotic…

EDIT
I feel bad posting without much substance…

If you were to recommend a book to us, what would it be?

and…

What was the coolest thing you ever produced?

Last edited Dec 28, 2011 at 09:18PM EST
Dec 28, 2011 at 09:12PM EST

Jordan Brokaw wrote:

Hey Jordan.

My name is Mike.

Nice to meet you!

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:20PM EST

Patrick wrote:

Ho(rolled r)dahn… So exotic…

EDIT
I feel bad posting without much substance…

If you were to recommend a book to us, what would it be?

and…

What was the coolest thing you ever produced?

I can’t roll my r’s!

I would recommend The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway or Dress Your Family in Corderoy and Denim by David Sedaris.

Hmmm, I’m not sure what the coolest thing I’ve produced is. It may sound boring, but I really enjoyed doing this watch commercial.

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:26PM EST

Mike wrote:

Hey Jordan.

My name is Mike.

Nice to meet you!

Hey Mike! Nice to meet you, too. You were my favorite scientist from the original episodes!(Shhh, don’t tell the others).

Let me know the next time you’re in Seattle, I think a special guest appearance would be in order =)

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:33PM EST

AAAWWW! Thats so nice! Thanks! :D (mums the word!)

I don’t make it up to Sea-town nearly as much as I’d like, but next time I’m in town…

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:41PM EST

Mike wrote:

AAAWWW! Thats so nice! Thanks! :D (mums the word!)

I don’t make it up to Sea-town nearly as much as I’d like, but next time I’m in town…

BOOM. Can’t wait!

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:55PM EST

Question:

Why are you so hipster that you dislike the conformity of the “KYM Staff/Mod AMA” thread title format? YOU THINK YOU’RE TOO GOOD FOR IT DON’T YOU! >:[

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:02PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

Question:

Why are you so hipster that you dislike the conformity of the “KYM Staff/Mod AMA” thread title format? YOU THINK YOU’RE TOO GOOD FOR IT DON’T YOU! >:[

Because I’m not technically a KYM staff member! But yes, also because I’m a huge hipster =)

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:10PM EST

Jordan Brokaw wrote:

Thanks for that feedback! We’re hoping to change some things up in 2012, and I think that might include some new faces from time to time.

Holy crap!
HE NOTICED ME!

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:59AM EST

Jordan Brokaw wrote:

Because I’m not technically a KYM staff member! But yes, also because I’m a huge hipster =)

KYM Freelance Producer AMA” there you go.

You have diseases of American teenage capitalist, change something which is good for no reason other than to look different from comrade. You make travesty of glorious thread titles created by Tovarish Bradovich for most superior republic of KYM!

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:49AM EST

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

Crap, I’m late… uhm…oh…What’s your favorite meme?

I’d also like to be your friend… at least on KYM…please?…

Right now it would be 10guy aka Really High Guy! I tried to be your friend, but I couldn’t find the button on your profile, just a follow button =( I’m not good at KYM’ing!

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 04:12PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 04:11PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

KYM Freelance Producer AMA” there you go.

You have diseases of American teenage capitalist, change something which is good for no reason other than to look different from comrade. You make travesty of glorious thread titles created by Tovarish Bradovich for most superior republic of KYM!

I….yes. Send me to the Gulag!

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:13PM EST

Howdy! You must login or signup first!