Forums / Discussion / General

171,234 total conversations in 5,612 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
Community Building Contest #4:VERY IMPORTANT NOTE TO TEAMS

Last posted Mar 28, 2012 at 06:23PM EDT. Added Dec 29, 2011 at 10:58AM EST
170 posts from 49 users

Alright folks. Time for another CBC to ring in the new year.

For those of you too new to remember, I used to do community building contests on a fairly regular basis. But they were just too stressful to co-ordinate and I kinda gave up on them.

Well I’m back at it. For better or worse.

This one will be similar to last time’s, you and your teams try to complete challenges, but a few things have changed dramatically.

1. The teams will be much larger than before and I choose who is on which team instead of you guys. (More on this later)

2. The entire list of challenges are posted at the beginning and the goal is not to complete the challenges first, but to complete more challenges than your opponent.

3. Each team will receive a private forum to discuss strategy and team info in. I don’t know how teams organized last year, or if they did at all, but this time I’ll make it easier.

Now, this thread is for people to sign-up, so I can see how much interest there is and how big I can make the teams.

What you have to do: Just post in this thread and say 1. you want to play and 2. what you think you’re good at. If there is a user you REALLY want to be on a team with or REALLY don’t want to be on a team with, shoot me a PM. Feel free to ask questions in this thread too.

Oh yeah, and amandab and Random Man are helping me organize this, so they’re pretty cool, yeah.

Sign-up will close in about a week. So don’t dawdle. Thanks.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:58AM EST

Some extra things.

The challenges contain a lot of variety. Some require you to be creative, whereas others just require brains. Not everything can be completed on KYM, some are related to the entire internet and some don’t even require internet. So be prepared.

Good luck.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:04AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02AM EST

Aristo/Loli reporting in! I’ll play! I’m good at singing horribly and being a dumb Konata-fanboy! That’s it!

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:22AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02AM EST

As long as I don’t need to show my face, I’m in!
I’m……good at finding stuff?

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:08AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:07AM EST

I’ll play.

I’m good at Zelda and sucking the mod’s dicks and getting raped with positive karma.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:20AM EST

I’ll join…

Until something I can’t handle happens.

I’m good at Zelda and sucking the mod’s dicks and getting raped with positive karma.

MUSTRESISTKARMA GIVING!

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:23AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:21AM EST

I don’t understand. Explain further what we’ll be doing.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:24AM EST

I guess I’ll throw my weight in.

I’m….I don’t know a walking encyclopedia of historical matters I guess?

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:25AM EST

Piano wrote:

I don’t understand. Explain further what we’ll be doing.

Okay.

You’re on a team.

There are a list of challenges. A lengthy list of challenges.

When you and your team complete a challenge, they get a point, some challenges will have bonus points.

For most challenges when you complete a challenge, the other team is still able to complete them.

At the end whichever team completed the most points wins.

I hope that helps

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:37AM EST

I`ll join.
I`m good at pretty much nothing, but my talents on ciphering and deciphering codes, and basic skills on programming might help. I can also draw a bit. JUST NOT ANIME

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:42AM EST

Captain Blubber wrote:

Okay.

You’re on a team.

There are a list of challenges. A lengthy list of challenges.

When you and your team complete a challenge, they get a point, some challenges will have bonus points.

For most challenges when you complete a challenge, the other team is still able to complete them.

At the end whichever team completed the most points wins.

I hope that helps

What kind of challenges will they be?

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:56AM EST

I’m in. I, uh, know a lot of stuff. I can do some decent photoshoppy thingies. I am a grammar Nazi. I can haz cheezburger, but don’t demand it.

{EDIT} Forgot to add that I’ve learned to put up with RF’s endless paranoid questioning.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:58AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:57AM EST

Piano wrote:

What kind of challenges will they be?

See Random Man’s post near the top.

I can’t give away too much info about them can I?

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:05PM EST

I’ll join. Planning and or strategy is one of my skills. Set me up against almost any boardgame and I’ll come away with a victory.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:15PM EST

1.) I want to play

2.) I’m good at not coming up with something I’m good at. I think I’m okay in social situations.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 01:21PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 01:20PM EST

Efrain wrote:

I wanna join.

When will the contest begin?

Not for a while. Probably late January to February. I take a lot of time to prepare.

Here’s what will happen.

I’ll sort you into teams, then I’ll send you each the location of your forums. In the time before the contest you’ll have time to organize your team and discuss whatever. Then you’ll be super pumped to compete.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:53PM EST

I’m in. I’m not good at much, but I’m fairly smart, so I guess I would be good at puzzles and challenges involving thought.

Also, you said it will be in February, but I will be away from the 18th to the 26th. If it is between these two dates, I will be unable to participate. So please try and make it not between then.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 02:40PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 02:09PM EST

Yeah sure.

I have no idea what I’m good at. Watching Azumanga? I guess I can draw okay.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:54PM EST

Dinner wrote:

Is there a prize?

You bet.

Nothing’s set in stone right now but it’s probably gonna be fancy winner titles for the winning team and some sort of online gift card or steam game or something for the MVP.

Maybe even so demeaning titles for the losers, we’ll see.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:56PM EST

Don’t hold back if you’re not good in many things, we want people to have fun.

To win you need to be a good functioning team and to win you’ll need everyone’s abilities. As said before, the list of challenges is big and contains a lot of variety. Lone wolfing won’t get you anywhere. If you help in brainstorming, you’re already helping. Don’t worry, we’ll try to make the teams as fair as possible.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 03:17PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 03:13PM EST

Oh, I am so in.

Let’s see, what am I good at….well, anyone who’s ever seen me post or read my articles should be able to tell that I’m adept at stringing words together. I know all about music and science and sociology and a bunch of random other stuff too.

But, like Fry, I’ll be busy during that week of February (although I might be able to check in once in a while), so hosting it on another week would be better for me.

Dec 29, 2011 at 03:29PM EST

I’m in. I know every thing there is to know about Strong Bad, Video games, and rage face origins

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:11PM EST

bitches lets do this.

i’m good at drawing, internets (probably a lot of youtube related things as its where i spend most of my time) and communicating with people :D

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:06PM EST

Hmm, I guess I’ll join.

I know various things, such as Russian History and what-not, plus I’ve got all sorts of books around if needed.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 05:21PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 05:18PM EST

I’m in as well! Im good at drawing, and I can remember anything as long as it isn’t important!

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:47PM EST

Let’s do this.

I think I’m good at rapping, but I don’t know if this could build the community in any way. I feel I’m slightly above average in both knowledge and creativity. I’d be willing to do whatever as long as its not painful or humiliating.

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:53PM EST

^
First Challenge: Slam nuts in the door…. post vid or it didn’t happen. xD

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:57PM EST

(takes bag of pistachios and crushes them with door)

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 07:03PM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 07:03PM EST

I have no idea whats going to happen but I’ll join!

I can draw shit, write PHP code, crash computers and write long paragraphs

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:26PM EST

Charmalandosaur wrote:

bitches lets do this.

i’m good at drawing, internets (probably a lot of youtube related things as its where i spend most of my time) and communicating with people :D

>Good at communicating with people
>No punctuation

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:30PM EST

Yeah, sure, I’ll play.

I think I’m good at photoshopping stuff… and retaining information.
Yeah I have no skills.

Dec 29, 2011 at 08:16PM EST

I’m in.
I own all the Professor Layton games, and Iv’e clocked them, so I’ll be a real asset smartness wise. As long as I don’t have to show my face, or talk.

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:02PM EST

I have a musical instrument that i can play just in case we have to play a song.
So yeah, I’m in…
:I

Dec 29, 2011 at 09:15PM EST

1. I am interested in participating.

2. KYM-related, I am good at writing and researching. Non-KYM-related, I am good at writing and drawing and public speaking.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:10PM EST

Sure, I’ll play.
I’m good at… stuff. Like being an awful singer and knowing about ponies.
I consider myself a pretty good writer, too.
Oh! Oh! And I am f**king AWESOME at platforming games.
I am.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 12:15AM EST
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:55PM EST

1. I’m down if you’ll have me.

2. I’m actually not too shabby musically speaking (especially in regards to the bass)… I guess I’m somewhat-decent with GIMP, too.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:11AM EST

I’m in.
I know a lot of biology, but thats about it.

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:24AM EST

I’d like to be in too
i know pretty much about music and maybe gaming

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:54AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!