Forums / Discussion / General

232,889 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Disabled School set Visual Novel Katawa Shoujo finally released.

Last posted Aug 24, 2012 at 01:30AM EDT. Added Jan 04, 2012 at 01:22AM EST
300 posts from 46 users

Sheesh, that took long enough! 100% completion. I read somewhere a suggestion to leave Lilly's path for last, and it did seem appropriate. A real tear-jerker.

I don't think it's possible for me to go back and bring myself to 100% the game.

I'm relatively content with the paths I've done, being Emi's, Hanako's, and Rin's.

I don't know if I could handle the feels.

Oh, I would say that you've really got to do Lilly's path; it's incredible. Let me see if I can do one of those spoiler things for a simple piece of advice to complete her path…

100% honesty.

Besides, you have to be aware of the point of the game…

Aside from that though, even with 100% completion, there are a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe they're discussed earlier in the thread (I haven't read the whole thing because I didn't want spoilers) but I continued to wonder:

1. What exactly happened between Lilly and Shizune to make them hate each other?
2. If Emi's mother lived right in town, why couldn't she make it to the festival, and why did she not stick around after the track meet?
3. Who did Emi's mother get a text message from? Was it the Nurse?
4. Why did Misha dye her hair pink? (Sounds trivial, but I think it was something more than a fashion statement.)
5. Rin's parents are the only ones we learn absolutely nothing about. Why is that?
6. What happened to Nomiya that made him give up being an artist?
7. Did Yuuko ever figure out what happened to the missing books?
8. Who was Kenji's girlfriend?
9. Why is Miki's arm bandaged?
10. Oh yeah, and Kenji…

Last edited Jul 26, 2012 at 04:11AM EDT

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

Have you ever thought about the following: If a girl with no arms or legs would ask you to be her girlfriend:
Would you really be ready to take over the responsibility for this person?
Would you really learn sign language for a girl you don't even really know?
Would you even take a "normal",non-disgusted look at a girl with a large scar?

Most likely, you wouldn't!
It's nice that the game brings someone too look under the surface and to trust his feelings more than his eyes, but it's unfortunately very far from the reality…

Would I have a girlfriend with no legs or no arms? Like any other girl, if I got a chance to get to know her and she was cool, I would. At the time I got married, my wife had a boss who was missing one leg. She had a prosthetic which made her look fairly normal when simply standing, but she had a very strong limp when walking. I spent a lot of time socializing with her, my wife, and another co-worker, and I quickly found that we had a lot of interests in common: a similar sense of humor, both big movie buffs, etc. I was already engaged before I met her, but frankly, if I'd met her before my wife? I would have dated her.

Would I learn sign language for a girl I don't even really know? Not only would I, but I don't think it's at all uncommon. I actually brushed up on my sign language for a deaf kindergarten-age girl in my mom's day care center, because she had nobody working for her that knew ASL. When I met my wife, she had already completed a year and a half of ASL studies, and I enrolled in beginning sign language so we could talk in class without disrupting. But I don't think sign language is the issue in this case, as it's just a matter of learning a language to be able to connect. When I was in high school, my grandparents briefly hosted an exchange student from Japan. She was very cute, and I spent a lot of time socializing with her in various ways. If she had been intending to stay in the U.S. longer than the month she had been scheduled, I would have learned Japanese to be able to converse with her better. In my senior year of high school, I was taking Spanish 4, and there were a couple of cute Mexican girls in my class who were native speakers. Don't think that I didn't put in extra effort for that class with the possibility in mind of a date with one of them.

Would I take a "normal" non-disgusted look at a girl with a large scar? I've got to admit I have no personal experience with a girl who was anything like Hanako, so it's hard to say. I find it odd that Hanako, despite being covered in scars, is actually very attractive. Having read through the thread, I see that I'm not the only one who considers her one of the top two girls in attractiveness. Hanako's scars are merely discoloring of her skin, and I have met girls with scars of this sort (but certainly not degree) that I have thought to be quite attractive. Working at Starbucks, I've had to deal with customers that have some form of disfigurement, and while I think everyone reacts with surprise the first time they see such a person, those who I saw regularly I was as friendly with as any other regular. While of course a different situation than Hanako, in my freshman year of college, I briefly dated a girl with severe scoliosis whose spine was all sorts of crooked, and had scars all over her back from various corrective surgeries. Neither her body nor her scars bothered me, but she was self-conscious about it and would never let me touch her back (I wasn't heartbroken about it, as her front was quite nice).

I think you may be right that there are a lot of men who are very shallow who wouldn't give any of the girls in KS the time of day. Yet each of these girls, despite her disability, is still very beautiful, both in appearance and personality. Guys with enough intelligence to think past first impressions will find the qualities in girls that they are looking for whether she lacks one of her senses, is missing a limb or two, has some other sort of physical abnormality, or happens to whole and healthy.

Chris wrote:

KatawaShoujoPlayers.avi

Pimp-chan, do you need a man hug?

No, really…

Come, on; no holding back…

There you go, doesn't that feel better? Let's just relax and talk about our feelings…

Brucker wrote:

Pimp-chan, do you need a man hug?

No, really…

Come, on; no holding back…

There you go, doesn't that feel better? Let's just relax and talk about our feelings…

I need all that and more.

Okay, here's what I've been able to pick up reading threads and theories about Katawa Shoujo.

1. What exactly happened between Lilly and Shizune to make them hate each other?

I think they are cousins or something? I think their mothers are related somehow and they've known each other for a while. I personally don't know anything more than that because I haven't done either of their routes.

2. If Emi’s mother lived right in town, why couldn’t she make it to the festival, and why did she not stick around after the track meet?

She probably had a date during the festival and she most definitely did have a date right after the track meet. She's not an ugly looking character in the game and she's single so I'd assume that she's pretty popular.

3. Who did Emi’s mother get a text message from? Was it the Nurse?

Whoever she was going on a date with, probably the Nurse. It would explain how he has known Emi for a while, he's probably been dating her mother for a while.

4. Why did Misha dye her hair pink? (Sounds trivial, but I think it was something more than a fashion statement.)

I haven't done Shizune's route and I haven't heard anything about why she did this. Maybe to attract attention from Shizune.

5. Rin’s parents are the only ones we learn absolutely nothing about. Why is that?

It's implied that her parents don't really care that much about what she does; they're probably tired of having to deal with her for 18 years. They just let her do what she wants, and Rin being Rin, she doesn't really have that much of a connection with them.

6. What happened to Nomiya that made him give up being an artist?

His friend committed suicide and he decided that he wasn't cut out to go as far as his friend did, he was scared of failure. He's trying to live vicariously through Rin.

7. Did Yuuko ever figure out what happened to the missing books?

Kenji stole them, I'm not sure if she ever figured out if it was him stealing them, though. I know some people have made jokes about a romance between those two but I don't think there's anything other than Yuuko mentioning going on a date with someone mysterious to back that up.

8. Who was Kenji’s girlfriend?

Yuuko, presumably.

9. Why is Miki’s arm bandaged?

Probably because although she seems pretty well adjusted, she doesn't really like how the stump of her arm looks so she just keeps it covered.

So yeah, I hope that cleared up some stuff. Tell me if anything I wrote up is incorrect.

@Chris-chan:

Some of those make sense, and I've read some of those suggestions elsewhere.

1. Shizune and Lilly are definitely cousins; specifically their fathers are brothers. The fact that their fathers don't get along seems be inadequate to explain why they got along just fine the previous school year, since I would assume any feud between their fathers must go back to at least when Lilly was 12.

2. & 3. Yeah, the idea that Meiko and the Nurse are dating would explain a lot, but it's never explicitly stated.

4. Well the question about Misha's hair is pure speculation on my part. Misha's "natural" look is in the picture above, and if you've looked at enough pictures, you've probably seen that she changes her hair again if you pursue the Shizune story line.

5. It just seems weird that they're that uninvolved and it's never explored. Parents being out of the picture in one way or another is discussed in each of the other story lines. Rin has a gallery show, her first professional gallery show, and her parents don't show up to that?

6. That might make sense. With Nomiya being supposedly so close to Sae and her husband, that would have been a difficult shock to him. Yet why is he afraid to be an artist himself, while he blindly pushes Rin, who was already unstable, past her breaking point?

7. Yes, we know it was Kenji, but there was the whole scene where she talks about "cracking the case wide open" or something like that, and nothing comes of it.

8. Yeah, I've been reading around and I've seen a few people suggest this relationship, but Yuuko said her boyfriend "disappeared". Kenji is most certainly still around. (But then there may be plot inconsistencies between the paths. In one path Kenji mentions a girl (who seems to be Rin) wanting to paint his picture, but in Rin's path, you and Rin run into Kenji and neither of them act like they've met before.)

9. Not unreasonable, but it seems there must be simpler ways to cover her arm than to bandage it up if that were the case.

10. You didn't answer this one, but then, it may be a completely unanswerable question. You could think up hundreds of unanswered questions (Where are Miki's parents? Is Mutou married? Why is there a blind kid in art class?) but most of the ones here seem to have hints pointing to their answers. Kenji's box, on the other hand? It never gets opened, and he never talks about the contents. It's probably Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

Last edited Jul 26, 2012 at 05:58AM EDT

Follow-up comment on point 1: Reading around, I have heard it pointed out that it is not the fathers of the two girls that are brothers (obvious in retrospect since Lilly and Shizune have different surnames) despite it being said somewhere in the game in error. Shizune's mother and Lilly's father are siblings. This leads to another interesting point of speculation, however

1A. Shizune's mother is never seen. Lilly and Akira are called away to Scotland partially because their aunt has fallen ill. Could it be that this sick aunt is Shizune's mother?

Damn you all for making me think so hard about all these niggly little details! Seriously, I never even noticed them before…

Ah, well. At least I can be glad that I'm not the only one who played and had one route blindside me with emotional trauma. Four of them made me sad, or a little warm inside, but that ONE… I was innocently playing the game and then bam! it came at me like a freight-train of snotty Kleenex…

Damn It Kenji…. why did… red everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!11….
other than that…
Saw all endings for Hanako…
Currently going for Shizune.
I also tend to save at every option select. then save a new state…

Teh Brawler wrote:

I have a problem seeing the connection between Lilly and Twilight.

They're more "proper" characters. At least from what I've seen. I only got up to episode 9 of ML- I MEAN THOSE FAGS IN IRC TALK ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME WITH THEIR DUMB PONY SHIT. YEAH.

YEAH.

I feel bad for Katia. He got a bad ending and fell off a rooftop while he was drunk so i plan on playing through the game in honor of his fallen character!

Howdy! You must login or signup first!