Forums / Discussion / General

168,594 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

KYM World of Tanks General (redux)

Last posted Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2012 at 05:49AM EST
466 posts from 16 users

I’m in love with the T82 American Dessie.

A large part due to the fact that it can get a lot of airtime, of course, but most of it is because penetration and damage.

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:25PM EDT

Hey, so I just got WoT today
And I think it’s crazy
So I’m just a newbie
Can I get some help, maybe?

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:39PM EDT

Of course Creeper. What things are you having trouble with?

Sting wrote:

I’m in love with the T82 American Dessie.

A large part due to the fact that it can get a lot of airtime, of course, but most of it is because penetration and damage.

Have you tried the howitzer on it? That thing can one shot all tanks at tier III and below. Always makes me rage.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:33PM EDT

Two words: Situational Awareness. Basically, know where your allies are, where the enemy are, and how they’re moving in relation to each other and especially yourself.

Remember that not all guns can penetrate all tanks. Sometimes you can find weakspots (hatches and MG ports are obvious ones), but sometimes, no matter how many times you hit them, you just can’t do any damage. In this case, just fall back and let more powerful allies do the job.

Also remember to use the terrain to your advantage. This is especially important with high tier American heavy tanks, which have hulls of glass but gun mantlets apparantly made of adamantium; but it is generally useful for almost all tanks to minimize the amount of yourself that the enemy can get a shot at.

If you’re driving a higher end light tank (tier 4 or above), KEEP MOVING unless you’ve found a nice comfortable bush to hide behind. Otherwise, you’re going to wind up extra crispy. Medium tanks with lesser armor, such as the American M7MT must use similar tactics.

There are two basic kinds of gun in the game: High accuracy, high penetration, but smaller caliber guns that are useful at long range; and short barrel, large caliber guns of low accuracy and penetration, useful in close quarters. Some low tier tanks get smaller caliber autocannons, which fire in short bursts with each pull of the trigger, but these tend to behave more like the latter type of weapon, just substituting multiple smaller shells in place of one larger one. Find the gun that’s right for you and how you like to play, but consider the tank you’re putting it on, too.

Heavy tanks are generally the damage soaks of the team, so it’s important for high tier heavies to get out in front of the battle and push the front line. If your heavy tank just happens to be at the bottom of the list, though, link up with higher tier friendly heavies and provide supporting fire, especially against other low level tanks.

Mediums in general are used to flank the enemy, so they have both mobility and firepower, but without sacrificing armor. Use them to get close in with the enemy by using friendly heavies as a distraction, then fire at their weaker side and rear armor. Remember to circle around enemy heavies and tank destroyers to keep them occupied and prevent them getting a good shot.

Tank destroyers are the masters of long range direct fire. Most of them lack turrets and have poor armor, but they make up for this with guns bigger than even heavy tanks. Hide behind the front line and keep the enemy pinned down with highly accurate, very powerful sniping attacks.

Self propelled guns provide indirect fire support to forward units. They mount the largest weapons in the entire game and boast of the most raw damage, but they have very long reload times and are especially vulnerable to light tanks and faster mediums. They also trend towards very thin armor.

Lastly, don’t try to be the hero. It’s the worst thing you could do. One tank isn’t going to change the outcome of the battle unless its enemies are very poor. Communicate with your allies, tell them where you’re going and who you’re shooting. This can save your life and theirs too. This is especially important for light tanks and SPGs, but still important for all classes: TDs can often fire much farther than their view range, so they need spotters to find targets for them. In fact, most tanks can hit targets far beyond their detection range, so having forward eyes and ears can help you maximize your effectiveness.

And remember to upgrade your tanks whenever you can. Every tank has upgrade modules that can be unlocked and fitted, each with a unique purpose. In general, the highest tier equipment available for a given tank is the best. However, sometimes you have powerful alternatives depending on your playstyle.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Two words: Situational Awareness. Basically, know where your allies are, where the enemy are, and how they’re moving in relation to each other and especially yourself.

Remember that not all guns can penetrate all tanks. Sometimes you can find weakspots (hatches and MG ports are obvious ones), but sometimes, no matter how many times you hit them, you just can’t do any damage. In this case, just fall back and let more powerful allies do the job.

Also remember to use the terrain to your advantage. This is especially important with high tier American heavy tanks, which have hulls of glass but gun mantlets apparantly made of adamantium; but it is generally useful for almost all tanks to minimize the amount of yourself that the enemy can get a shot at.

If you’re driving a higher end light tank (tier 4 or above), KEEP MOVING unless you’ve found a nice comfortable bush to hide behind. Otherwise, you’re going to wind up extra crispy. Medium tanks with lesser armor, such as the American M7MT must use similar tactics.

There are two basic kinds of gun in the game: High accuracy, high penetration, but smaller caliber guns that are useful at long range; and short barrel, large caliber guns of low accuracy and penetration, useful in close quarters. Some low tier tanks get smaller caliber autocannons, which fire in short bursts with each pull of the trigger, but these tend to behave more like the latter type of weapon, just substituting multiple smaller shells in place of one larger one. Find the gun that’s right for you and how you like to play, but consider the tank you’re putting it on, too.

Heavy tanks are generally the damage soaks of the team, so it’s important for high tier heavies to get out in front of the battle and push the front line. If your heavy tank just happens to be at the bottom of the list, though, link up with higher tier friendly heavies and provide supporting fire, especially against other low level tanks.

Mediums in general are used to flank the enemy, so they have both mobility and firepower, but without sacrificing armor. Use them to get close in with the enemy by using friendly heavies as a distraction, then fire at their weaker side and rear armor. Remember to circle around enemy heavies and tank destroyers to keep them occupied and prevent them getting a good shot.

Tank destroyers are the masters of long range direct fire. Most of them lack turrets and have poor armor, but they make up for this with guns bigger than even heavy tanks. Hide behind the front line and keep the enemy pinned down with highly accurate, very powerful sniping attacks.

Self propelled guns provide indirect fire support to forward units. They mount the largest weapons in the entire game and boast of the most raw damage, but they have very long reload times and are especially vulnerable to light tanks and faster mediums. They also trend towards very thin armor.

Lastly, don’t try to be the hero. It’s the worst thing you could do. One tank isn’t going to change the outcome of the battle unless its enemies are very poor. Communicate with your allies, tell them where you’re going and who you’re shooting. This can save your life and theirs too. This is especially important for light tanks and SPGs, but still important for all classes: TDs can often fire much farther than their view range, so they need spotters to find targets for them. In fact, most tanks can hit targets far beyond their detection range, so having forward eyes and ears can help you maximize your effectiveness.

And remember to upgrade your tanks whenever you can. Every tank has upgrade modules that can be unlocked and fitted, each with a unique purpose. In general, the highest tier equipment available for a given tank is the best. However, sometimes you have powerful alternatives depending on your playstyle.

Heck, I already have an Elite LT (Light Tank) due to me constantly playing the game for a while.
Anyways, I’m still on the 7th mission, luckily, so I can get a Russian Tier III sooner or later.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:05PM EDT

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Heck, I already have an Elite LT (Light Tank) due to me constantly playing the game for a while.
Anyways, I’m still on the 7th mission, luckily, so I can get a Russian Tier III sooner or later.

Anything I say help you?

Also, do you need any kind of specific advice? If so, I’m not your man. I’m woring all tank and tank destroyer lines in the game: French, German, Soviet and American; and I’ll be picking up the British lines at release. I tend to play a little bit of everything.

With about 2100 battles under my belt, though, I can tell you a lot about what to expect from each nation, even though I haven’t fully broken into tier 6 (of 10). My highest tier tanks are all German: VK3K2DB, Panther, Tiger I H, all are tier 7. Aside from those, I have all tier 5 tanks and am in the process of researching tier 6.

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT

I have 8.1 now. Time to go grind the UK tank lines…

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT

Sorry to triple post, but I have used a few of the British tanks. I like them so far.

Their two T2 lights both get access to a 40mm semi-automatic with a 4 round mag. Very fun, like a more potent version of the two American 37mm semi-autos.

Last edited Nov 01, 2012 at 12:37PM EDT
Nov 01, 2012 at 12:37PM EDT

inb4 someone mentions I quad posted

In light of what I’ve read over on the game’s official forums, I think I’m going to be getting my 3 Sherman tanks (yes, I own three separate Shermans: basic M4, M4A3E2 “Jumbo” and M4A3E8 “Easy 8”) and loading them with the 105mm howitzer with HEAT rounds.

I think I’ll be doing the same with the rest of my “derpgun”-compatible tanks (Hetzer, KV-2, Panzer 4, etc. etc.) as well.

I’ve also read of people running platoons of three derp Shermans in wolf pack platoons. I’ve read these can be quite deadly.

Anyone wants to join in on this, speak up now.

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:53PM EST

You didn’t have them all loaded with gold rounds earlier?

Nair, I am disappoint >:[

I haven’t been able to play tanks for a long time due to my ISP troubles since I moved nearly 12 days ago.

Luckily, I managed to beg some time from friends and got them to install WoT on their laptops so I can log in and buy shit during the Golden Joystick sale so I do have the GW Tiger and E-75 in my garage :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:00AM EST

Haven’t played in a while because one of the wheels of my desk chair broke. I was having to make do with a chair from the dining room, which was far too tall for my desk.

But now, I have a new desk chair. Perfect height and everything. Better than the one I used to have.

Time to blow something up!

Figure I’ll start by getting my little Loltraktor out again to get a feel for it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:31PM EST

I haven’t been able to play thanks to no internet and its killing me inside.

Anyway, so Chinese tanks have been announced.

I understand the rationale behind the Chinese tech tree (trying to expand into the Chinese market) but does anyone think this is disappointing? Nearly every tank is a rehash from another nation!

Why can’t we just get Japanese tanks already?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:32AM EST

My opinion? It’s a simple cash grab.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:45AM EST

Well, it is a Free to Play game and they need to make money so I’m not too mad, they just released British tanks so I have plenty of other tanks to grind.

Maybe it’s because I’m a business major but I tend to support companies who make smart business decisions like that :P

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:41AM EST

Eh, I think it’s just cheap of them myself.

Also, due to accuracy issues and the fact that I generally find them too specialized for my tastes, I have removed all derpguns from my tanks and sold off all HEAT rounds for them, except in a few cases (A-20, M2 MT, M5 Stuart, I think that’s all of them). I generally prefer more accurate, longer ranged weapons; and while I know that you can technically snipe with anything, I find the sluggish shell velocities to be a major hindrance to long range shooting.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:56AM EST

Well, they are giving you a new line of American tanks as well as vast improvements to the game engine!

Also, I finally got back into tanks!

AND HOLY FUCK IS THE MEDIUM MARK I OP.

I basically got Mastery Badge 1st class in my first match with it stock to get it elited and a top gun in my second match.

This might be my new newb trolling tank.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!