Forums / Discussion / General

169,873 total conversations in 5,438 threads

+ New Thread

KYM World of Tanks General (redux)

Last posted Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2012 at 05:49AM EST
466 posts from 16 users

Phoenix posted:

What the fuck? Did you actually survive that?

Last edited Jun 08, 2012 at 10:13PM EDT
Jun 08, 2012 at 10:13PM EDT

I actually hit the GWTiger but he had enough HP to withstand a direct arty shell! He then hit me and I died :(

Jun 08, 2012 at 11:46PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I actually hit the GWTiger but he had enough HP to withstand a direct arty shell! He then hit me and I died :(

Ouch.

Sorry to hear that…

Jun 09, 2012 at 11:54AM EDT

Phoenix posted:

Did you get a mastery badge?

I just got the game working again, and yes, I did.

Ace Tanker, or more EXP in one battle than 99% of players to ever use that tank.

HOLY SHIT

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:49PM EDT

It’s actually 99% of the average max experience in that tank over the past 7 days. Still, getting that means you’ve pulled off some cool shit in that tank. I have a few of ‘em myself, whenever you get one you’re like…

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:28PM EDT

I hope to one day ascend to the rank of True Tankman by having one of each vehicle in the game in my garage. That would be so awesome.

And speaking of “Tankman”, I bet Newgrounds has a World of Tanks clan that calls themselves “The Tankmen” or some such.

Jun 11, 2012 at 02:41AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

It’s actually 99% of the average max experience in that tank over the past 7 days. Still, getting that means you’ve pulled off some cool shit in that tank. I have a few of ‘em myself, whenever you get one you’re like…

Maaan, I don’t have any Ace badges. Although I have a few Class 1 Mastery Badges.

Jun 11, 2012 at 02:53AM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I hope to one day ascend to the rank of True Tankman by having one of each vehicle in the game in my garage. That would be so awesome.

And speaking of “Tankman”, I bet Newgrounds has a World of Tanks clan that calls themselves “The Tankmen” or some such.

Tank slots are 300 gold each which is about a 1.5 USD…you start with 6 slots and there are 160 vehicles in the game somewhere over 200 dollars need to be spent.

Jun 11, 2012 at 04:05AM EDT

NEW TIER 10 MEDIUMS AND TANK DESTROYERS ANNOUNCED!

Currently Tier 9 is the peak of a vehicle’s class development for medium tanks and tank destroyers in World of Tanks. Quite often players ask game developers whether they are going to introduce Tier 10 for these two classes of vehicles. It is about time to give the exact and precise answer to that question – Tier 10 Meds and TDs will most definitely be introduced!

Russia: T-62A and Obj.268
Germany: E-50 Ausf.M and the mighty Jagdpanzer E-100.
USA: M48A1 (Patton III), T110E3 AND T110E4 will be introduced.
France: All light tanks from the AMX 12t upwards will be raised one tier. In Tier 5 we will get a new tank: ELC AMX. Tier 10 TD will be AMX 50 Foch with 3 round drum magazine.

British isn’t included yet BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANT A CHIEFTAIN TANK!

Also, the Jagpanzer E-100 has a FUCKING 170MM GUN!

SHIIIIIIIIIT

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1346-tier-10-mediums-and-tds-announced/

Jun 11, 2012 at 05:05PM EDT

Wait, T-62?

Ah hell. Both T-54s and 62s were used by the KPA in Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. I’m not saying that I’d expect them to be that effective against modern tanks, but…

Yeah, they were there in a modern combat game. Granted, it’s a highly unrealistic wide open sandbox game that doesn’t take itself that seriously, but still.

Though, since I did mention that, I wonder if anyone has KPA skins from Mercs for the T-54 in this game.

Jun 11, 2012 at 05:18PM EDT

T-55s were used during the Gulf War in 1991 with…bad results (although an Iraqi version of the T-55 called “The Enigma” was hit several times with Anti tank missiles and survived before an Apache hunted it down) but for many countries, if you need a cheap easily producible tank….then the T-55 is like an AK-47, especially when there are many countries that offer upgrade packages for that tank (Israel, Iran, Czechoslovakia, Egypt, Poland, Pakistan and Peru all have T-55 modernization packages)

Jun 11, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

NEW TIER 10 MEDIUMS AND TANK DESTROYERS ANNOUNCED!

Currently Tier 9 is the peak of a vehicle’s class development for medium tanks and tank destroyers in World of Tanks. Quite often players ask game developers whether they are going to introduce Tier 10 for these two classes of vehicles. It is about time to give the exact and precise answer to that question – Tier 10 Meds and TDs will most definitely be introduced!

Russia: T-62A and Obj.268
Germany: E-50 Ausf.M and the mighty Jagdpanzer E-100.
USA: M48A1 (Patton III), T110E3 AND T110E4 will be introduced.
France: All light tanks from the AMX 12t upwards will be raised one tier. In Tier 5 we will get a new tank: ELC AMX. Tier 10 TD will be AMX 50 Foch with 3 round drum magazine.

British isn’t included yet BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANT A CHIEFTAIN TANK!

Also, the Jagpanzer E-100 has a FUCKING 170MM GUN!

SHIIIIIIIIIT

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1346-tier-10-mediums-and-tds-announced/

I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THE JAGPANZER E-100

IT’S SO AWESOME LOOKING

Jun 11, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

T-55s were used during the Gulf War in 1991 with…bad results (although an Iraqi version of the T-55 called “The Enigma” was hit several times with Anti tank missiles and survived before an Apache hunted it down) but for many countries, if you need a cheap easily producible tank….then the T-55 is like an AK-47, especially when there are many countries that offer upgrade packages for that tank (Israel, Iran, Czechoslovakia, Egypt, Poland, Pakistan and Peru all have T-55 modernization packages)

Oh, okay. So it is still a threat.

But what about those skins I asked about? Have you seen anything like what I’m talking about?

Jun 11, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Well, I wouldn’t have put over 200 hours into it if it was a bad game eh? :D

Here’s a gameplay video to help you make up your mind. I was actually featured in this!

Do you have any recommendations for FPS/ping boost techniques? I would be so happy if I could play with the FPS the guy in the video has.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:23PM EDT

Oh, okay. So it is still a threat.

But what about those skins I asked about? Have you seen anything like what I’m talking about?

Can you post a picture of it? Or is it simply a historical T-54 camo?

@Vladimir:

Other than getting a better connection and upgrading your video card, I can’t see what you can do other than lowering the graphical fidelity.

You can try these mods that remove some of teh graphical effects such as Millbarge’s “Not so slow PC Pack”

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131301-millbarges-not-quite-as-slow-pc-pack/

Jun 13, 2012 at 05:15AM EDT

Here is a shot from the right front corner of a KPA T-54 in Playground of Destruction. Sorry about the poor image quality, it was the best I could find.

Here is a similar shot of a KPA T-62 from Playground of Destruction. Again, sorry about the quality.

Maybe better pics can be found elsewhere. I just pulled these from the Mercs Wiki on Wikia.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:37AM EDT

Would you believe I now have not one, not two, but THREE Ace Tanker badges?

Yeah, T1 Cunningham, Leichttraktor and MS-1.

Okay, yeah, so I’ve been running around in my little starter tanks, taking advantage of EXP conversion to grind EXP for cheap and use it to unlock better machines more easily.

But I’ve gotten my hands on a German Panzer III Ausf. A. I now have a direct line to the Panzer V Panther tank, which is where the German medium lines stop interconnecting with other German tank lines and goes directly to the E-50, which I really want to get my hands on.

So, any tips for the Panzer III Ausf. A?

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Can you post a picture of it? Or is it simply a historical T-54 camo?

@Vladimir:

Other than getting a better connection and upgrading your video card, I can’t see what you can do other than lowering the graphical fidelity.

You can try these mods that remove some of teh graphical effects such as Millbarge’s “Not so slow PC Pack”

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/131301-millbarges-not-quite-as-slow-pc-pack/

I’ve considered changing the graphics card, but that process is so complicated. There are so many different types of graphics cards and specifications, plus I can’t even figure out what requirements or components are on my own model. So, such a replacement is still in consideration.

I hate that the PC pack takes away nice affects like the smoke. Is there a PC pack that simply inhibits things most people don’t notice? Like swaying trees?

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:19PM EDT

Hey, where’s Phoenix?

Jun 15, 2012 at 06:42PM EDT

Hey, where’s Phoenix?

Currently in exams so taking a World of Tanks break because I tried playing Tanks during studying and it just made me pissed off:

Jun 15, 2012 at 06:49PM EDT

Just whenever you have time, I’d like a few pointers on driving the Panzer III Ausf. A.

If you don’t mind.

Jun 15, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

Problem is, I skipped over the PzIII AusfA. using free XP and jumped straight into the PzIII :( So I have no idea what it is like.

Last edited Jun 15, 2012 at 08:22PM EDT
Jun 15, 2012 at 08:22PM EDT

Dammit.

I was hoping to use it to get a straight shot to the Panzer V Panther. Guess I’ll have to figure it out on my own.

Jun 15, 2012 at 09:03PM EDT

I’ve made up my mind on one thing in World of Tanks: I’m going to sell off all my French tanks(all three of them: an FT-17, a D1 and an H35) and abandon the French lines entirely.

Otherwise, though, I still haven’t made any other commitments besides abandoning all SPG lines and focusing solely on direct fire units.

However, I have gotten the hang of some Tank Destroyers. I think I’ll follow those lines to their conclusions, too, not just the Light, Medium and Heavy Tank Lines.

I still have yet to commit to any one nation, though, so I bet it’ll be pretty slow going.

EDIT: Also, I originally thought “Sniper Mode”(default Left Shift) was exclusive to Tank Destroyers, but it turns out it’s available to all vehicles that aren’t SPGs. Interesting.

I guess that with how accurate certain non-TD guns are they had to make that so.

Last edited Jun 16, 2012 at 06:55PM EDT
Jun 16, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT

I’ve made up my mind on one thing in World of Tanks: I’m going to sell off all my French tanks(all three of them: an FT-17, a D1 and an H35) and abandon the French lines entirely.

Otherwise, though, I still haven’t made any other commitments besides abandoning all SPG lines and focusing solely on direct fire units.

However, I have gotten the hang of some Tank Destroyers. I think I’ll follow those lines to their conclusions, too, not just the Light, Medium and Heavy Tank Lines.

I still have yet to commit to any one nation, though, so I bet it’ll be pretty slow going.

EDIT: Also, I originally thought “Sniper Mode”(default Left Shift) was exclusive to Tank Destroyers, but it turns out it’s available to all vehicles that aren’t SPGs. Interesting.

I guess that with how accurate certain non-TD guns are they had to make that so.

What’s your play style in TDs? I can recommend a line depending on that.

Jun 16, 2012 at 08:57PM EDT

No different from my style in regular tanks. Just an added emphasis on staying at range due to either the lack of a turret(most TDs) or the really sluggish turret traverse rates(the American turreted TDs) and the reduced armor and HP.

Last edited Jun 16, 2012 at 09:06PM EDT
Jun 16, 2012 at 09:05PM EDT

No different from my style in regular tanks. Just an added emphasis on staying at range due to either the lack of a turret(most TDs) or the really sluggish turret traverse rates(the American turreted TDs) and the reduced armor and HP.

I hear the German TDs are best for sniping. Why not try them?

Jun 16, 2012 at 09:13PM EDT

Piano wrote:

I hear the German TDs are best for sniping. Why not try them?

As yet, the highest tier TD I’ve researched is an American M8A1.

I think I might like the American Turreted TD line due to its similarities with regular tanks.

Jun 16, 2012 at 09:16PM EDT

Sorry to double post, but I was just reading the WoT Wiki and doing a little number crunching.

TV Tropes describes a fully upgraded Soviet T-34 with the 57mm ZiS-4 cannon, a skilled loader and the Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer as, and I quote, “a goddamn buzzsaw”.

With the Enhanced Gun Laying Drive to reduce Aim Time between shots, an experienced Commander to provide a further boost, Improved Ventilation to apply another boost and Extra Rations to further bolster the crew, combined with the ZiS-4’s penetration rating, I have to agree with them.

Though, with all of those upgrades, it might be a little bit overkill…

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:41AM EDT

I have the T-34-57.

It’s really awesome but the Low Alpha hurts. I could put on a rammer and vents to make it almost Semi-auto but at Tier 5? It’s kind of an overkill :P

Basically, the problem is the T-34 is that it can bully any tank below it’s tier level and some at it’s tier but anything higher and it’s very weak. I got my highest kills per match (Eight) in a low tier game with the T-34. It’s that good of being a bully.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:30AM EDT

Sorry to double post, but I was just reading the WoT Wiki and doing a little number crunching.

TV Tropes describes a fully upgraded Soviet T-34 with the 57mm ZiS-4 cannon, a skilled loader and the Medium-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer as, and I quote, “a goddamn buzzsaw”.

With the Enhanced Gun Laying Drive to reduce Aim Time between shots, an experienced Commander to provide a further boost, Improved Ventilation to apply another boost and Extra Rations to further bolster the crew, combined with the ZiS-4’s penetration rating, I have to agree with them.

Though, with all of those upgrades, it might be a little bit overkill…

Yeah, I have a bit of a policy that I’ll only get upgrades for higher tier tanks. The lower tiers are bought and sold so quickly that it’s not worth getting all the high-costing upgrades for them.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:36AM EDT

Piano wrote:

Yeah, I have a bit of a policy that I’ll only get upgrades for higher tier tanks. The lower tiers are bought and sold so quickly that it’s not worth getting all the high-costing upgrades for them.

Meh. I plan to keep every tank I buy.

Sure I’ll have to pay Gold to get more garage space for them all, but I fancy myself a collector. Besides, sometimes you can have a little fun by getting into a older vehicle and putting yourself up to a bit of a challenge.

Hell, I think it might be fun to just keep them around just for special “historic reenactments”. Can you imagine the Prokhorovka map in historically accurate vehicles?

Aside from the lack of infantry and air attacks, it’d be like actually fighting at the Battle of Kursk!

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:46AM EDT

Meh. I plan to keep every tank I buy.

Sure I’ll have to pay Gold to get more garage space for them all, but I fancy myself a collector. Besides, sometimes you can have a little fun by getting into a older vehicle and putting yourself up to a bit of a challenge.

Hell, I think it might be fun to just keep them around just for special “historic reenactments”. Can you imagine the Prokhorovka map in historically accurate vehicles?

Aside from the lack of infantry and air attacks, it’d be like actually fighting at the Battle of Kursk!

That’s going to cost you a lot of money bro. Sure you want to do that?

Oh, and I hear they’re going to have historical battles in WoT one day, actually. With tanks from specific time periods, and one nation fighting against the other.

Jun 17, 2012 at 01:51AM EDT

Piano wrote:

Be sure to keep a Tier 5 or 6 tanks around. Tiers 7 and up can actually lose you money, you need a mid tier money earner.

Captain Serious wrote:

RussianFedorette posted:

Oh, and I hear they’re going to have historical battles in WoT one day, actually. With tanks from specific time periods, and one nation fighting against the other.

Actually…they exist right now! There are weekly play run historical battles.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum/160-historical-battles-and-other-events/

The battle right now is Historical Battle – No 73 – Battle at the VKT line : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War#Soviet_strategic_offensive

The only tanks allowed are:
Soviet Team:
2x KV-1b (T-150)
2xT34-85 (ONLY HISTORICALLY ACCURATE FIRST 85MM ALLOWED)
6xT34-76 (Tier 5 T-34 with historically accurate first 76mm installed)

German/Finnish Team
1x Captured KV-1 (Only upgrade allowed is second engine)
2xCaptured T-34-76
3xStuG III Ausf.F8 (StuG with final engine, tracks and stock gun)
2xPanzer IV Ausf.J: (Panzer IV with 2nd gun, 2nd engine and tracks)
2xPaK 40 AT Guns (Marder II, pak40 gun, lowest engine and tracks, 25% driver)
2xStuG III Ausf.G (JgPzIV reskinned)

In addition:

[indent]To guarantee a fair and enjoyable game for everyone, certain rules apply.

- First-Come First-Served system applies. A confirmed sign-up is an obligation made
- Back-up roster slots are offered for players who can not confirm their attendance
- Only tanks set-up according to the specified tank version set-up are allowed to join the battle
- Presence on Teamspeak 3 is compulsory even without microphone. Teamspeak 3 client(freeware) can be downloaded HERE
- Each team has a Company Commander who issues the battle orders, these orders have to be followed by all team members
- If a player deliberately violates any of these rules he will be banned from participating in future Historical Battles

- NO premium ammunition
- NO temporary modificatios (camo net, binoculars, tool kit, etc.)
- NO expandables (repair kit, first aid kit, etc.)
- NO crew above 50% ( = free of charge new crew)
- NO base capture except round three
- MODE: Best of three[/indent]

YOU ALSO NEED THE HISTORICAL SIGHTS MODS AND EVENT PATCH 68

I have no idea what those patches do so don’t ask me :(

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 02:31AM EDT
Jun 17, 2012 at 02:30AM EDT

Fedora posted:

That’s going to cost you a lot of money bro. Sure you want to do that?

Yes, actually.

I find it fun to go through my entire collection. Part of the fun of games with large quantities of usable equipment, like World of Tanks, is deciding what to use from a massive selection.

Maybe you feel like going out in a big heavy tank and crushing all before you. Or maybe you want to seek and destroy as a nimble but heavily armed medium tank. Sometimes you feel like sniping in your tank destroyer. And other times you feel like sneaking past the front and hunting down their artillery to give your team the edge.

It’s kinda like this for me in Test Drive Unlimited: I really only want to collect cars and houses in that game. The former because I want to drive them all. The latter because I’ll need somewhere to put them.

Jun 17, 2012 at 02:59AM EDT

Since I was just thinking on it, is there an exact list of vehicles that can accept the “Enhanced Suspension” equipment? I.E. “Enhanced Torsion Bars 1t/3t/5+t Class/Longitudinal Torsion Bars”, “Enhanced Christie Suspension”, “Enhanced Belleville Washers”, etc. etc?

Last edited Jun 18, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Jun 18, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT

Not really…and you don’t need em anyway. Nearly all the vehicles can accept every module with their upgraded tracks without wasting an equipment slot on suspension.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:16PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Not really…and you don’t need em anyway. Nearly all the vehicles can accept every module with their upgraded tracks without wasting an equipment slot on suspension.

Ah, but the equipment actually increases suspension HP (or in other words, the durability of your tracks) by 30%.

No, really.

Last edited Jun 18, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT
Jun 18, 2012 at 11:19PM EDT

Here are some funny vids I found on Youtube dealing with the game.

First two use Garry’s Mod to depict tank interiors.

Bounced Off!:

Credit to Team:

These next two are voice mod packs.

Duke Nukem:

Top Gear (BBC):

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:47PM EDT

I just got the Medium Tank Gun Rammer for my M4’s 105mm gun. I can now rip apart tanks 10% quicker.

Jun 19, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT

Also, check out this kickin’ Ace Combat music mod!

(Not by me.)

Jun 19, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT

Update 7.4 is now live

There is a huge list of changes but I’m just gonna list the important ones:

1- New French TDs and Arties are now in the game
2-Two new stages: Widepark and Airfield
3-Two new game modes: Assault (Attack/Defend) and Encounter (King of the Hill)
4- Two new premium tanks: IS-6 and Jagdtiger 88mm L/71
5-Komarin and Swamp have been removed from the game

A full list of changes is here:
http://worldoftanks.com/news/1360-74-release-notes/

ALSO NEW TIER 10 MEDIUMS AND TDS ARE IN THE NEXT UPDATE!

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT

Man, it’s going to take a while for me to figure out good tactics for the two new modes. But I love Widepark, it’s such a pretty map. And I notice that you can hear birds chirping in the background now.

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:21AM EDT

Every time I’ve ended up playing Assault so far, it’s been Campinovka.

With me as one of the attackers.

Doesn’t sound bad? The defenders get to start up on the hill in the Northeast corner of the map.

Who the hell came up with that idea?

Jun 21, 2012 at 01:08PM EDT

Also, I think my computer security software is screwing up my ability to play this game.

I use Kaspersky, in case you were wondering.

I just don’t know what’s going on or how to make it work at this point.

Jun 21, 2012 at 03:33PM EDT

Also, I think my computer security software is screwing up my ability to play this game.

I use Kaspersky, in case you were wondering.

I just don’t know what’s going on or how to make it work at this point.

Why do you use Kaspersky?

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:07AM EDT

Piano wrote:

Why do you use Kaspersky?

Almost three years ago now, I bought an Asus 19" gaming laptop from Best Buy. The people there recommended Kaspersky Anti-Virus, so I went with it.

After my original Kaspersky software license ran out, I bought a license for Kaspersky Internet Security, their most comprehensive security package.

Unfortunately, if I had known just how intrusive it would eventually become, I might have chosen something else. Besides, “automatic updates”. That’s a little weight off my back: Now I can feel relatively sure that I always have the most up to date protection.

As far as the game itself goes, I’m starting to have doubts about whether I should go for the M7 Medium Tank by going through the Stuart Light Tanks in the American Tech Tree.

The M5 Stuart may be a decent tank in its own right, but having to brave battles at BT 10 means that I might end up in matches with Tier 9 vehicles. Hell, I might even get dealt a couple of Lowe Blows trying to earn the EXP for the M7.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:25AM EDT

Almost three years ago now, I bought an Asus 19" gaming laptop from Best Buy. The people there recommended Kaspersky Anti-Virus, so I went with it.

After my original Kaspersky software license ran out, I bought a license for Kaspersky Internet Security, their most comprehensive security package.

Unfortunately, if I had known just how intrusive it would eventually become, I might have chosen something else. Besides, “automatic updates”. That’s a little weight off my back: Now I can feel relatively sure that I always have the most up to date protection.

As far as the game itself goes, I’m starting to have doubts about whether I should go for the M7 Medium Tank by going through the Stuart Light Tanks in the American Tech Tree.

The M5 Stuart may be a decent tank in its own right, but having to brave battles at BT 10 means that I might end up in matches with Tier 9 vehicles. Hell, I might even get dealt a couple of Lowe Blows trying to earn the EXP for the M7.

Stuart Light Tanks

There’s your problem. If you wanted to go through the American Medium line, you should’ve started on it, not the lights.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:29AM EDT

Piano wrote:

Stuart Light Tanks

There’s your problem. If you wanted to go through the American Medium line, you should’ve started on it, not the lights.

Thing is, I think I might end up having fun in an M7 (especially once I upgrade it with the 6 pdr. gun), but the only way to get one is through the Stuarts.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:31AM EDT

Thing is, I think I might end up having fun in an M7 (especially once I upgrade it with the 6 pdr. gun), but the only way to get one is through the Stuarts.

Eh, I’ve fought with a couple. They don’t seem too exceptional. I think the M4 Sherman and M7 MT are about equal, with the M4 possibly being a bit better.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:36AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!