Forums / General

191,229 total conversations in 5,242 threads

+ New Thread


KYM World of Tanks General (redux)

Last posted Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2012 at 05:49AM EST
466 conversations with 16 participants

Guess you have a point. After all, that stunt with the Lee a couple pages back, that moment with the Cunningham a little further back, and this sniping spree with the Panzer III all felt damn impressive.

Aug 03, 2012 at 10:47AM EDT

Okay, so I activated battle recording. I have a Youtube account, so I figure I could easily upload my combat footage in private viewing mode to review each battle, then delete the ones I don’t like or think are too bland while keeping the good ones.

Only thing is, I have literally zero video editing skills, experience or knowledge, so I haven’t got the slightest idea how to add annotations, let alone commentary.

Aug 03, 2012 at 03:30PM EDT

Just tried to upload some videos to review my combat footage, but I have to convert the files first.

Any good programs you guys know of for that? That are comparatively easy to use?

Aug 04, 2012 at 03:31AM EDT

First of all, I recommend just giving us the replay files. They’re much smaller than a video and allow us to pause and change the camera angle as we please during the match.

And convert video? From which formats?

Aug 04, 2012 at 04:08AM EDT
Quote

How can I use the replay files, though?

And I would like to convert the replay files into a regular video format to upload to Youtube.

EDIT: Also, I deleted my latest batch of replays already, so I’ll have to get back out there.

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 04:38AM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 04:32AM EDT

You run the replays by right clikcing on them and selecting “Open with->World of Tanks”

Then you need a program like Fraps to capture the video directly from your screen into an .avi file or something like that.

Aug 04, 2012 at 08:50AM EDT
Quote

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of Garry’s Mod videos on Youtube that were recorded with Fraps. Hopefully, it isn’t that hard to use…

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT

It isn’t hard to use but it really takes up system resources, if you don’t have a strong PC the game will drop Frames.

Aug 04, 2012 at 01:25PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, I was just reading their support page. My computer is a high end gaming model from this year, so I shouldn’t have that many issues with system resources, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Hopefully I can get you some replay data soon. I think I’ll go ahead and download the free version now.

EDIT: The free version is too limited, so I tried to buy the full version.

Only issue is that they use Paypal and I can’t remember my password, plus I don’t want to go through the hassle of creating a new one.

You have any other programs I might be able to use?

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 01:47PM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT

I will say that I think I’ve figured out the kinds of guns I prefer.

Caliber and per-hit HP damage be damned, if I can’t hit an MS-1 from 800 meters and put a round down range every second, my gun isn’t accurate or fast enough. And if I can’t punch through the front plating of a T95 every time, it doesn’t have near enough penetration.

Okay, that’s exaggerating. But the point is, high accuracy, high penetration and high ROF matter to me, it seems. My preferred kinds of guns so far are weapons like the Soviet 57mm ZiS-4, or the QF 6 Pdr., or the American 57mm M1 L/50. Maybe this is why I do so well at range…

After all, I have good odds of penetrating my target, good odds of hitting them, but little actual damage gets done with each hit, meaning that I have to keep up the pressure by firing continuously. Keeps their heads down, at least, if I can’t kill them outright.

Only issue I really have is high ammo consumption.

Anyone here have thoughts on that? Or a statement about which tanks I should use based on that?

Aug 05, 2012 at 08:08AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

You and X should form the “75mm L/100 fan club” then. :P

Nowhere near getting that gun yet, but I know I’ll use it to great effect when I do.

EDIT: Also, just bought a German T-15 Tier 3 Light. First battle in it, I got a First Class Mastery Badge.

Last edited Aug 05, 2012 at 10:21AM EDT
Aug 05, 2012 at 10:20AM EDT

Sometimes I really wonder whether I should continue to work fifteen lines at once.

It’s taken me this long just to start breaking into Tier 6. With the EXP requirements going up with each level, it will take even longer to reach Tier 10 than I should take. Hell, for all I know, they could get done updating the game and add truckloads more tanks before I ever unlock any Tier 10 vehicle.

Last edited Aug 05, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT
Aug 05, 2012 at 01:11PM EDT

Well, I tend to do that too. For example, a friend of mine only likes Russian tanks, she managed to get two Tier 10s (IS-7, IS-4) in about 1200 games (she also HAD premium and a Lowe). I’m at….3300 matches and I still only have a Tier 9 medium and a Tier 8 heavy because I work so many lines.

I don’t mind though, I’m gonna buy my first American TD (M36 Slugger) soon and I always get excited when I get a new tank or a new line, like a kid at Christmas opening a new present :)

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:47PM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I will say that I think I’ve figured out the kinds of guns I prefer.

Caliber and per-hit HP damage be damned, if I can’t hit an MS-1 from 800 meters and put a round down range every second, my gun isn’t accurate or fast enough. And if I can’t punch through the front plating of a T95 every time, it doesn’t have near enough penetration.

Okay, that’s exaggerating. But the point is, high accuracy, high penetration and high ROF matter to me, it seems. My preferred kinds of guns so far are weapons like the Soviet 57mm ZiS-4, or the QF 6 Pdr., or the American 57mm M1 L/50. Maybe this is why I do so well at range…

After all, I have good odds of penetrating my target, good odds of hitting them, but little actual damage gets done with each hit, meaning that I have to keep up the pressure by firing continuously. Keeps their heads down, at least, if I can’t kill them outright.

Only issue I really have is high ammo consumption.

Anyone here have thoughts on that? Or a statement about which tanks I should use based on that?

But the point is, high accuracy, high penetration and high ROF matter to me

Those matter to most people.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

But the point is, high accuracy, high penetration and high ROF matter to me

Those matter to most people.

DPS being the same, I prefer the gun with the higher alpha over the higher ROF.

Which causes no end of grief when me and X argue over the 88mm L/71 and the 75mm L/100 :P

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:03PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

DPS being the same, I prefer the gun with the higher alpha over the higher ROF.

Which causes no end of grief when me and X argue over the 88mm L/71 and the 75mm L/100 :P

Reasonable ROF is good to have, but I can tolerate as low as 3 rounds per minute. I don’t think it gets any lower on anything besides arty, though.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:08PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

Reasonable ROF is good to have, but I can tolerate as low as 3 rounds per minute. I don’t think it gets any lower on anything besides arty, though.

I prefer to be able to put rounds downrange like a fire hose. Not only do I inflict steady damage to the target with precision, I also force enemies in cover to stay in cover, because if they try to get a shot on me, I’ll put a round in them.

May not be the quickest way to kill, but it adds up. Plus, circle strafing in close quarters with a rapid fire gun swiftly applies continuous damage to the target.

In all, it may take me longer to get the kill, but you’ll feel the pressure the whole time.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:40PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I prefer to be able to put rounds downrange like a fire hose. Not only do I inflict steady damage to the target with precision, I also force enemies in cover to stay in cover, because if they try to get a shot on me, I’ll put a round in them.

May not be the quickest way to kill, but it adds up. Plus, circle strafing in close quarters with a rapid fire gun swiftly applies continuous damage to the target.

In all, it may take me longer to get the kill, but you’ll feel the pressure the whole time.

Continuous ROF usually comes with the cost of damage, which means that if you’re faced with big, heavily-armored targets, you won’t be able to do much. But with a low-ROF, high-pen, high-damage gun, one shot into the engine every seventeen seconds is enough pressure to keep them back. The 122 long is a voracious gun.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

Reasonable ROF is good to have, but I can tolerate as low as 3 rounds per minute. I don’t think it gets any lower on anything besides arty, though.

The Tier X tank destroyers, JagdPanzer E-100 especially, have sub 3 rpm loading times.

Aug 05, 2012 at 02:56PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

Continuous ROF usually comes with the cost of damage, which means that if you’re faced with big, heavily-armored targets, you won’t be able to do much. But with a low-ROF, high-pen, high-damage gun, one shot into the engine every seventeen seconds is enough pressure to keep them back. The 122 long is a voracious gun.

I may not be doing as much damage with each hit, but the pressure is steady, and if they can’t hit me (i.e. I’m too far out to be spotted, I’m circle strafing at high speed, etc. etc.), it really only matters whether I can penetrate their armor and damage their HP.

Because if they can’t hit me, but I’m damaging them, I’m still at an advantage, right?

Plus, you must remember, this is a team oriented game. If I can keep an enemy heavy behind cover for fear of getting his tracks blown off, I’m helping my team more by keeping him tied down without exposing myself than if I manage to kill him but take heavy damage in the process.

Aug 05, 2012 at 03:08PM EDT

Oh btw guys, if you haven’t been watching the “Operation Think Tank” videos I highly recommend that you do. What is Operation Think Tank?

Earlier this year, announced Operation Think Tank 2012 and invited submissions for questions to our panel of experts which we gathered together at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation in California.

Together with interviews with the six authors, the result is over four hours of tank discussion focusing primarily on the 1930s to 1950s, split into morning and afternoon sessions. We are now pleased to present these videos.

They have some real authorities on tanks here and the questions asked are in depth and detailed, no newbie stuff like “Who is Guderian?” or History channel bullshit like that.

Unfortunately, the Chieftain says the videos aren’t racking up views and they might not do another one next year. So watch them and spread the links guys!

http://wargamingamerica.com/OTT/

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:08AM EDT
Quote

So I just got some mods for WoT, and I have a question about the zoom out mod: Does anyone know how to utilise the further zoom with a laptop touchpad? I have a scrollbar, but it doesn’t interact with the game when I use it.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:13PM EDT
Quote

Thinking of buying a Tier 8 premium heavy.

Of the three that are still available, should I buy a Lowe, a T34 or an IS-6?

EDIT: Screw that, I’ll just buy 25k more Gold and get all three. Just want some advice on how to best use each.

EDIT2: Just got done purchasing all three Tier 8 Premium Heavies and running their crews through the Academy. Haven’t fitted any additional equipment (Rammers, Ventilation or Gun Laying Drives) to any of them yet, and I’m down to 1351 Gold, but if these tanks are as good as I’ve read on the game’s TV Tropes page, I think I might like them.

Last edited Aug 07, 2012 at 07:30AM EDT
Aug 07, 2012 at 07:09AM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Thinking of buying a Tier 8 premium heavy.

Of the three that are still available, should I buy a Lowe, a T34 or an IS-6?

EDIT: Screw that, I’ll just buy 25k more Gold and get all three. Just want some advice on how to best use each.

EDIT2: Just got done purchasing all three Tier 8 Premium Heavies and running their crews through the Academy. Haven’t fitted any additional equipment (Rammers, Ventilation or Gun Laying Drives) to any of them yet, and I’m down to 1351 Gold, but if these tanks are as good as I’ve read on the game’s TV Tropes page, I think I might like them.

Lowe is like a gimped King Tiger (I know because I have both of them) , the T34 is an M103 basically but with less HP and slower and has a weaker hull. IS-6 is an unupgraded IS-3.

And damn man, TOO MUCH PREMIUM! Did you rob a bank or something?

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:27AM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Thinking of buying a Tier 8 premium heavy.

Of the three that are still available, should I buy a Lowe, a T34 or an IS-6?

EDIT: Screw that, I’ll just buy 25k more Gold and get all three. Just want some advice on how to best use each.

EDIT2: Just got done purchasing all three Tier 8 Premium Heavies and running their crews through the Academy. Haven’t fitted any additional equipment (Rammers, Ventilation or Gun Laying Drives) to any of them yet, and I’m down to 1351 Gold, but if these tanks are as good as I’ve read on the game’s TV Tropes page, I think I might like them.

I think you’re spending way too much money on this game.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:31PM EDT
Quote

The evil overlords at Wargaming have unleashed the Type 62 light tank in the North American server:

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1476-new-gift-shop-offers/

But also they’re giving one of those free 1 day premium things:

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1478-happy-tanks-day/

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:55AM EDT
Quote

The Type 59 has been nerfed in previous patches, it’s no longer the noob killing demon it once was.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:37AM EDT
Quote

Oh.

I was just thinking I might want to buy one, test it out. You know, just ‘cause I’m a collector like that…

I think I’ll also get the Type 62 and Pz B2. Same reason.

However, having tried the T-127 in the past, I think I’ll leave that one out.

EDIT: Just tried out the Tier 8 Premium Heavies. I held my own in the T34 and Lowe, but my first match in the IS-6? Steel Wall, Top Gun, 6 kills, 4900+ EXP, Ace Tanker.

Holy shit.

Last edited Aug 09, 2012 at 11:34AM EDT
Aug 09, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT

>That feel when enemy shells bounce off your tank

>that feel when the artie behind the bush destroys your engine on the first shot

I am loving this game.

I really like the M2 light tank so far, it’s my main at the moment. The M3 is decent too.

Last edited Aug 09, 2012 at 02:37PM EDT
Aug 09, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Oh.

I was just thinking I might want to buy one, test it out. You know, just ‘cause I’m a collector like that…

I think I’ll also get the Type 62 and Pz B2. Same reason.

However, having tried the T-127 in the past, I think I’ll leave that one out.

EDIT: Just tried out the Tier 8 Premium Heavies. I held my own in the T34 and Lowe, but my first match in the IS-6? Steel Wall, Top Gun, 6 kills, 4900+ EXP, Ace Tanker.

Holy shit.

The IS-6 is relatively new so people don’t know exactly where the weak spots are. You’ll bounce a lot of shots.

I really like the M2 light tank so far, it’s my main at the moment.

Just remember that the other branch in the USA tech tree gives you more options on where you want to research.

I made it all the way to the T20 medium before having to go back into a T2 Medium tank simply to go down the US heavy line.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:38PM EDT
Quote

Oh, and I am also a fan of the T-26 light tank, it has decent speed, good range and accuracy, and turns well.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:42PM EDT
Quote

Sting, I’m going to warn you. As early as Tier 3, you’ll start seeing enemies more than one tier above your own. They recently reworked the match maker so that you’ll never see anything more than two tiers above yourself.

Except in the case of Light Tanks and Self Propelled Guns. In lights, you’ll start seeing as high as Tier 8 enemies at tier 4. SPGs don’t get into matches below Tier 3 under any circumstances, and you’ll almost always face enemies multiple tiers above yourself.

Be careful out there.

EDIT:

That is the match maker “Battle Tier” chart for version 7.5. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but there are exceptions to the upper part. The lower section shows you which tanks get exceptions to the usual rules.

If you see a tank in the lower section, it follows those match maker tiers. If it isn’t there, look at the upper section for what kind of tank it is.

Last edited Aug 09, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT
Aug 09, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT

I recently got the M3, and I’m having a lot of fun rolling up next to people and driving around them. I’m doing quite well with doing hit-and-runs against arties and destroyers. I’m considering getting explosive rounds, since my targets are usually the ones with open tops and I attack from behind.

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:00PM EDT
Quote

ConnerABacon wrote:

I recently got the M3, and I’m having a lot of fun rolling up next to people and driving around them. I’m doing quite well with doing hit-and-runs against arties and destroyers. I’m considering getting explosive rounds, since my targets are usually the ones with open tops and I attack from behind.

I generally run a mix of 3 parts AP/HEAT to one part HE. That way, if I can’t penetrate their armor, I can chip away at them.

EDIT: Say, what’s your WoT username, Sting?

More friends is never a bad thing.

Last edited Aug 09, 2012 at 07:31PM EDT
Aug 09, 2012 at 07:29PM EDT

My username is Sting_Auer, I use it for most things.

I felt so awesome in that match I just did, I took out 4 people in rapid succession without dieing, damaged several more, and I survived the match. It was the first match I survived :D. I saved a few teammates and I was saved by artillery a couple times.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:30PM EDT
Quote

ConnerABacon wrote:

My username is Sting_Auer, I use it for most things.

I felt so awesome in that match I just did, I took out 4 people in rapid succession without dieing, damaged several more, and I survived the match. It was the first match I survived :D. I saved a few teammates and I was saved by artillery a couple times.

Added you.

‘M477145_N1l550n’ is me.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:29PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

I recently got the M3, and I’m having a lot of fun rolling up next to people and driving around them. I’m doing quite well with doing hit-and-runs against arties and destroyers. I’m considering getting explosive rounds, since my targets are usually the ones with open tops and I attack from behind.

Get the 75mm Howitzer on the M3…load HE shells and start trolling nooblets :D

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:31PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Get the 75mm Howitzer on the M3…load HE shells and start trolling nooblets :D

I think you’re talking about the M5, actually, because the M3 Stuart only gets either a 20mm auto-cannon or one of two 37mm single shot guns.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:46AM EDT

He might be talking about the M3 Lee. That tank gets a 75mm cannon, although the upgraded gun is not much of an improvement over the stock gun.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:30AM EDT
Quote

Count Lionel wrote:

He might be talking about the M3 Lee. That tank gets a 75mm cannon, although the upgraded gun is not much of an improvement over the stock gun.

Sting doesn’t have a Lee, if his profile page is anything to go by. Besides, both of the Lee’s guns are 75mm.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33AM EDT

Hm, yes you are right. First thing I think when I read M3 is the Lee. And besides that, it isn’t very stellar with HE, if I recall correctly, being that it has awesome penetration for a tier 4.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:37AM EDT
Quote

Sting’s following the American light tank line so far, best I can tell.

Sting, if you’re reading this, soon as you can, get your hands on the M7 Medium. It’s fast and agile, with a rapid fire high penetration 6 pdr. gun.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:39AM EDT

The M7 was a super fun tank. I didn’t keep it, but I enjoyed playing it. You have to keep your movement up, circle around slower foes, and keep firing. That isn’t exactly my play style though, and I much prefer the heavier armor of mediums and light-heavy tanks with higher caliber guns.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48AM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Sting’s following the American light tank line so far, best I can tell.

Sting, if you’re reading this, soon as you can, get your hands on the M7 Medium. It’s fast and agile, with a rapid fire high penetration 6 pdr. gun.

Noted.

I did get the howitzer, by the way. I’m using the higher damage rounds since I’m in a fast tank and my strategy is to get behind in wide sweeping flanks.

Last edited Aug 10, 2012 at 11:18AM EDT
Aug 10, 2012 at 10:56AM EDT
Quote

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I think you’re talking about the M5, actually, because the M3 Stuart only gets either a 20mm auto-cannon or one of two 37mm single shot guns.

You’re right. It’s because the M2 Medium, also a tier III, had the 75mm I just assumed the M3 Stuart had the same thing.

OH WELL!

EDIT: I just noticed Count Lionel is a new member! WELCOME TO TANKS!

You…are a new member….right?

Last edited Aug 10, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:46PM EDT
Quote

So I just got my first 100% crew today! It’s on my KV-1S, and their skills are already over 50%. I think I’ll be keeping my KV-1S, it’s just such a stellar vehicle with the 122 long.

Also, there’s a Tanks Day special! Redeem the bonus code they give you and get one day free premium, plus five rations for each nation!

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1478-happy-tanks-day/

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!