Forums / Discussion / General

232,782 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

KYM World of Tanks General (redux)

Last posted Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2012 at 05:49AM EST
466 posts from 16 users

Yes, I am very new! I have only made a Know Your Meme account in the previous day or two. Thank you for the welcome!

I am not new to the tanks. I have been a tanker for a while. Since beta I might have been. I am not certain. When I joined there were no, or few, American tanks. That may say something about how far back my account dates. I could just look it up, but I am supremely lazy, and the Bookmarks button is so far away…

Wow, hey! I am at the top of the page! How about that?

Last edited Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48PM EDT

Count Lionel wrote:

Yes, I am very new! I have only made a Know Your Meme account in the previous day or two. Thank you for the welcome!

I am not new to the tanks. I have been a tanker for a while. Since beta I might have been. I am not certain. When I joined there were no, or few, American tanks. That may say something about how far back my account dates. I could just look it up, but I am supremely lazy, and the Bookmarks button is so far away…

Wow, hey! I am at the top of the page! How about that?

Stand at attention, men. We have an Old One in our presence.

Piano wrote:

So I just got my first 100% crew today! It's on my KV-1S, and their skills are already over 50%. I think I'll be keeping my KV-1S, it's just such a stellar vehicle with the 122 long.

Also, there's a Tanks Day special! Redeem the bonus code they give you and get one day free premium, plus five rations for each nation!

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1478-happy-tanks-day/

Enjoy the 100%, the XP requirements get higher exponentially the more you go. At 50% on the first skill….you'll start to notice.

@Count Lionel:

Excellent! What's your account name?

basically we have:

‘M477145_N1l550n’ – American tanker

burning_phoneix- Myself

Sting_Auer- himself

and RF has this incredibly long name that I will never get right. :/

Guys, if you get on the server. Make a chat channel "Know Your Tanks" to ease platooning.

I would share, but I dare not dabble in the community aspect of World of Tanks anymore. I was banned once for associating with a cheater. Maybe about a year ago. It took ages to get my account back and clear up the misunderstanding, and since then I have sworn to go solo. Nowadays I rarely play at all. Perhaps once or thrice a week. Or month. It can be sporadic.

Not only that, I have an account on the EU server… and I live in North America! Nobody good was ever were online at the same time as I was! I am still waiting for the day that server transfers can happen, or at the very least all servers are merged.

That T-46 you speak of would not happen to be the Russian T3 light tank, would it sting_auer? I thought that was a major downgrade from the T-26, which in my opinion, is one of the best tier 2 tanks in the game. I have had some awesome games in the T-26.

They are going to implement "server hopping" in the future but they admit it is a far way off.

In addition, I know they allowed Aussies and New Zealanders the chance to transfer their accounts to the new SEA server if they wished, but I didn't want to since I knew far too many American and such on the server.

ConnerABacon wrote:

Are french tanks any good? I have the Hotchkiss 837, and it's pretty accurate, but it's slow and doesn't have a lot of armor. Are most french tanks like this?

Really? Not a lot of armor? That tank is tough to pen at its tier, and the permium German captured version is called the Mini-Maus because of how thick it is.

As for the rest of the French tree, I am not very fond of it, and did not go far.

I tried them up to the AMX12t. I really hated the slow, heavily armored tanks with inaccurate, low penetration guns. In the AMX 38 I had a duel with another AMX 38 that lasted two minutes. Neither of us damaged the other, despite shooting at every conceivable location on the tank. I tracked him once, but it barely matters since he was not moving. Finally a few friendly tanks came in to do the work form me. I did have a good time with the AMX 40, which is odd, because everybody else says that is the worst tank in the tree.

I re-bought the AMX12t just to get a free ELC AMX in my garage, along with the free slot. Not that it matters. I have seven free slots, and not enough money to fill them. The ELC AMX is actually pretty fun, although I am far from being a good scout driver. I treat it like a super fast tank-destroyer, since that really is what it is. It is a tier 5 light with the gun of a good tier 7 medium, but the armor of a tier 1, and the profile of a small dog. Very hard to hit it unless it stays still for a while and remains visible.

burning_phoneix wrote:

Enjoy the 100%, the XP requirements get higher exponentially the more you go. At 50% on the first skill….you'll start to notice.

@Count Lionel:

Excellent! What's your account name?

basically we have:

‘M477145_N1l550n’ – American tanker

burning_phoneix- Myself

Sting_Auer- himself

and RF has this incredibly long name that I will never get right. :/

Guys, if you get on the server. Make a chat channel "Know Your Tanks" to ease platooning.

It's just a Russian name with sevens at each end :\

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

You want the truth?

I just copied from my in game "Contacts" list.

Literally copied it with your mouse, or referenced it?

Piano wrote:

Literally copied it with your mouse, or referenced it?

You right click a name in your "Contacts" list in-game, it gives you the option "Copy to Clipboard".

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

You right click a name in your "Contacts" list in-game, it gives you the option "Copy to Clipboard".

Neat. I didn't know you could copy stuff in WoT.

Piano wrote:

Neat. I didn't know you could copy stuff in WoT.

It does. I then pasted your in game name into the "Player Search" function on the site to pull up your game profile page.

Neat how that works, huh? Quickly and easily keep up to date with every tank any of your friends unlocks and deploys.

ConnerABacon wrote:

>That feel when shells just bounce off your tank

I love french tanks <3

That won't happen as much in high end French machines. Right around Tier 5, they strip out the armor to make room for big engines and bigger guns. Tier 6 on their light line adds an autoloader, and you'll get autoloaders for their heavy line at Tier 8.

They're nerfing the Pz IV in the following update, this is what they're planning:

GeneralDirection: A new turret with extra armor plates is being added to replace the Schmalturm. 7.5 L48 will be balanced similarly to the 57mm ZiS4, though with slightly higher alpha and slightly slower rate of fire (approximately equal DPM), and at least equal accuracy. There's a pretty good chance the 7.5 L70 will no longer be accessible.

That does not sound like a very dramatic nerf, if even a nerf at all. I personally prefer alpha damage over rate of fire, any day. I am excited for the scrapping of the Schmalturm. That turret is butt ugly. Ugly as a butt. I hate it and it needs to go!

Speaking of those extra armor plates, I read somewhere that they would add a new module for extra armors. That would be nice.

I hope that the Panzer IV can look like that some day.

That is a possible type of upgrade for the PzIV. There is a fan made mod that allows you to have that same kind of turret actually.

That turret is butt ugly. Ugly as a butt. I hate it and it needs to go!

The worst thing is that they slap that turret on half the german tanks in the game!

Count Lionel wrote:

That does not sound like a very dramatic nerf, if even a nerf at all. I personally prefer alpha damage over rate of fire, any day. I am excited for the scrapping of the Schmalturm. That turret is butt ugly. Ugly as a butt. I hate it and it needs to go!

Speaking of those extra armor plates, I read somewhere that they would add a new module for extra armors. That would be nice.

I hope that the Panzer IV can look like that some day.

I don't think those plates are going to do much for that tank, though.

ConnerABacon wrote:

so spaced armor is like a rock that a guy trips on right before he tries to ram through a brick wall?

Pretty much, yeah. Spaced armor is the reason for the crew shouting "Punched right through their armor" or other such things when you actually did no damage. Yes, the shot did penetrate, but only through the outer armor.

I'm thinking of adding music to my KYM profile page. Specifically, something from WoT. I'm trying to find something distinctive and American, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Here is a bunch of uploads, mostly WoT music, all by one user. I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I forgot that World of Tanks had music. I must have turned it off the first time I heard it, as I have my own music to listen to. I usually listen to the Command and Conquer series music while I play. In particular, C&C Generals.

Count Lionel wrote:

I forgot that World of Tanks had music. I must have turned it off the first time I heard it, as I have my own music to listen to. I usually listen to the Command and Conquer series music while I play. In particular, C&C Generals.

It's actually pretty good music. Most of it, anyway. Though I guess I can see why you'd want to turn it off if you thought you had something better.

It may have improved since I last heard it. I vaguely recall not being impressed with the sound track as it was presented to me. I may have to turn up the volume and see if my opinion has changed next time I play.

burning_phoneix wrote:

They're nerfing the Pz IV in the following update, this is what they're planning:

GeneralDirection: A new turret with extra armor plates is being added to replace the Schmalturm. 7.5 L48 will be balanced similarly to the 57mm ZiS4, though with slightly higher alpha and slightly slower rate of fire (approximately equal DPM), and at least equal accuracy. There's a pretty good chance the 7.5 L70 will no longer be accessible.

I have a question about this.

If they're going to remove the 75mm KwK 42 L/70 from the Panzer 4, why not remove the 75mm StuK 42 L/70 from the StuG 3?

EDIT: They're both tier 5s, they're both in the same battle tiers, why can't they both have a tier 6 gun?

Also, what about the M4 Sherman and its 76mm M1A1? If they're going to remove the KwK 42 from the Panzer 4, shouldn't they also remove the M1A1 from the Sherman?

EDIT2: Added links.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 02:11PM EDT

They're going to buff up the 7.5 L/48 immensely. Basically make it similar to the buzzsaw 57mm that the T-34 gets (lower rate of fire, higher alpha, similar DPM and same or better accuracy)

The STuG 3 is a tank destroyer, while they are at the same tier, it has much less HP and no turret to compensate.

As for the M1A1 on the Sherman, we'll have to see the buffs that the L/48 will get before I'll pass judgement. I'm guessing the pen and damage will be very similar to the M1A1 but with better accuracy and/or aim time.

BTW, they're having an early test of the Physics engine!

worldoftanks.com/news/1520-new-physics-public-test/

It's not the 8.0 public test, just testing out the new engine.

Also, not using hyperlinks because Russian Fedora.

I just recently tested the new physics. Everybody was throwing their tanks off cliffs and bridges, simply to see if they really could. It was awesome. I actually had to wait in line to leap from the Westfield bridge. In my ELC AMX, I get thrown around like a leaf on a windy day. A T-50 rammed into me and pushed me several feet. I have also noted that it is significantly more difficult to stop on a dime, especially when driving smaller, faster tanks.

Last edited Aug 23, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT

The new rendering system makes Sand River look like a beauty of a map:

BTW, the devs have installed a physical limit that makes it impossible to flip over a tank.

They're challenging anyone who can flip over a tank with a prize of 5000 gold.

burning_phoneix wrote:

They're going to buff up the 7.5 L/48 immensely. Basically make it similar to the buzzsaw 57mm that the T-34 gets (lower rate of fire, higher alpha, similar DPM and same or better accuracy)

The STuG 3 is a tank destroyer, while they are at the same tier, it has much less HP and no turret to compensate.

As for the M1A1 on the Sherman, we'll have to see the buffs that the L/48 will get before I'll pass judgement. I'm guessing the pen and damage will be very similar to the M1A1 but with better accuracy and/or aim time.

BTW, they're having an early test of the Physics engine!

worldoftanks.com/news/1520-new-physics-public-test/

It's not the 8.0 public test, just testing out the new engine.

Also, not using hyperlinks because Russian Fedora.

So anyway, I just got my M4A3E8 after a long, long grind! Of course, now I have no money to get it any upgrades, but…

Am I the only one that's anticipating HUGE lag spikes once the physics update lands? I mean all this spatial/positional data can't be light on the bandwidth, look at any Valve game, once you toss a grenade and lots of objects fly, even LAN would lag.
If anyone here has the physics test, can they confirm/deny that?

I've only seen videos of people on the test server and unfortunately since the test server is in Russia, they all have 200+ ping.

But it's still better than the lag spikes I get from being in the ass end of the Earth aka New Zealand.

:/

BTW SerB is Sergey Burkatovskiy, lead designer of WoT that you see in most ASAP videos that wargaming posts.

If you don't know, he regularly answers questions on the Russian forums and he just loves to be sarcastic as possible. I don't think he's ever answered a question without it dripping sarcasm.

For example:

Q: So you told people to spend $30-50 on and now it's terrible! Do you expect me to just throw it away?
A: I never promised that isn't terrible.

Q: How do developers combat waning interest in this game?
A: We don't. Stop playing our game.

Q: Who was driving the White Tiger?
A: That's a myth. And also a legend.

Q: Why does WoT even have the ability to damage friendlies?
A: Personally, I think there should only be one button: kill everyone. Actually, two, "kill everyone" for credits and "own everyone" for gold. A typical player doesn't need complexities, they just upset him.

Q: Why do the E-100 and JpE-100 not have tracks hanging off the side of the turret?
A: With tracks, the German tanks would be too overpowered. You have uncovered a terrible conspiracy.

Q: Will physics test bugs be corrected in time for 0.8.0 test?
A: Of course not. We just put out tests for fun.

Q: I don't know about Wikipedia, but in real life the IS-4 had an upper front plate of 140mm.
A: Were you involved in the IS-4's construction personally?

Q: Olga Sergeyevna said that the Wargaming news format will change, what are you changing?
A: The format of the news.

Q: Please don't nerf the PzIV!
A: I think I will nerf you for 14 days.

Q: Now that physics came in, the verticality of the battlefield is increased. Will you incread gun elevation and depression to compensate?
A: Ok, let me travel back to 1930 and tell all tank designers that internet tanks players are unhappy with their gun elevation.

Someone got this from the Russian Q&A thread:

PzIV to be split into two:

- Regular machine – Tier 5, no Schmalturm, no 7.5cm L70. Described as a "fast" medium with spaced armor for the turret (Ausf.H turret- BP)
- Premium machine – Tier 6, Schmalturm, 7.5cm L70, side "netting (which Veider said will be there for purely visual purposes)

There may be additional rebalancing of both machines (e.g. rate of fire, maneuverability, etc.).

Current owners of the Panzer IV will end up with the Tier 5 non-premium. The premium version will have to be purchased.

Last edited Aug 26, 2012 at 07:39AM EDT

Sorry for the double post but basically someone got this from Storm (A dev on the Russian forums) in the PzIV thread:

Since the Panzer IV is losing the L/70, the L/70 is being buffed to 150mm of pen.

No word on the L/48 but if they're doing straight percentage buffs the L/48 should be 115mm of pen and possible the L/56 88mm would get a pen increase to 144mm.

Woah, sorry for triple posting but I had to answer this:

Thomas Nair and Russian Fedora asked a good question:

The stock turret of the M7MT and the M3 Lee look very similar!

So I did a little digging and found that the Turret ring of the M7 MT came from the Canadian Ram tank….which uses the chassis of the M3 Lee…

I did a little more digging and found out that the prototype for the M7 (known as the T7) did indeed use the turret of the M3 Lee as a stop gap:

In real life, the Lee could not mount the 6 Pounder. It was too big for the turret and the M7 MT could only mount the 6pndr with the new turret.

OF Course, in game that means nothing and whether or not Wargaming let you mount the 6 pounder on the Lee when Multi-turret comes (IF IT EVER DOES!) is up in the air.

Interesting side note while was digging around: The T17 Staghound armoured car used that same turret!

Elited the KV-1 either yesterday or earlier today. Been working toward the 122mm for the KV-1S. Don't have it yet, though. However, I did research the 107mm on the T-150 and am using it on that and my KV-2.

Still preferring American tanks overall, though.

One last thing is that while I was KYM-banned, I opened up a clan. I have no intention of participating in the Clan Wars, just so everyone knows. And the name was NOT taken from Call of Duty, but Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, which is also where I got the motto. (It was never used in-game, but is one of the game's primary advertising taglines.)

EDIT: If you want to know why I was banned, search the forums for "klondike bar". That is all I will say on the matter because I never was told of any specific reason.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 07:45PM EDT

Well I just started playing this today from boredom and is pretty fun with the tactical gameplay and teamwork, I soon going to have get some gold so I can buy more slots for tanks if I want any luck playing Tier 2 games.

And just the last game I played there was only one enemy left at the south-east side of the map shooting at my teammates, So I sneek in the base from the west side passing the flag until I was right behind him and killed him with two shots, If only I saw the guy's reaction.

Right now I'm just shuffling plays with the rookie tanks, Any advice in WoT you guys have for a noob like me?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!