Forums / General

195,506 total conversations in 5,381 threads

+ New Thread

KYM World of Tanks General (redux)

Last posted Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35AM EST. Added Jan 25, 2012 at 05:49AM EST
466 conversations with 16 participants

Notsocool the Dewott wrote:

Well I just started playing this today from boredom and is pretty fun with the tactical gameplay and teamwork, I soon going to have get some gold so I can buy more slots for tanks if I want any luck playing Tier 2 games.

And just the last game I played there was only one enemy left at the south-east side of the map shooting at my teammates, So I sneek in the base from the west side passing the flag until I was right behind him and killed him with two shots, If only I saw the guy’s reaction.

Right now I’m just shuffling plays with the rookie tanks, Any advice in WoT you guys have for a noob like me?

Well, the first thing I would suggest is not keeping the super-ultra-fast guns for very long. While spraying your enemy with shells is effective in the very low tiers, it does next to nothing in higher tiers, like III and IV. So you can choose to either not use them at all or only use them for the lowest tiers.

From personal preference, I would suggest just using a normal weapon, even in the starter tanks. Try to get a relatively balanced weapon, that isn’t ultrafast but isn’t a derp.

Although, you should probably attempt trying one of those machine guns just once or twice, simply because they can be a lot of fun.

Another thing to do is make sure to keep your frontal armor pointed at the enemy. Try your best to keep from showing them your sides or engine. Tilting your armor just a bit, so that their shells come at a slight angle, is usually helpful as well.

Also, if someone is trying to flank you, turn your turret and hull in the direction they’re heading. You may already know that this speeds up how fast your gun gets to such a spot due to simple physics, but I didn’t realise it for a while.

Yet another thing that’s very important (no matter what tier you’re in) is leading your aim. If a tank is coming through very quickly, aim where they’re going, not where they are. You may know this as well.

One more thing: This is an excellent guide to various tactics and play styles. I recommend reading it.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 12:16AM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 12:09AM EDT

Notsocool the Dewott wrote:

Well I just started playing this today from boredom and is pretty fun with the tactical gameplay and teamwork, I soon going to have get some gold so I can buy more slots for tanks if I want any luck playing Tier 2 games.

And just the last game I played there was only one enemy left at the south-east side of the map shooting at my teammates, So I sneek in the base from the west side passing the flag until I was right behind him and killed him with two shots, If only I saw the guy’s reaction.

Right now I’m just shuffling plays with the rookie tanks, Any advice in WoT you guys have for a noob like me?

Advice:

First of all, teamwork usually takes a backseat to frags. Kids will trample over eachother just to get the last shot in on a tank. Remembering that before taking action can save you from blindly following the mindless horde into a death trap. Also, do not be afraid to “camp” in this game. There is nothing wrong with ambushing the opposition or defending the base, especially if you are driving a tank destroyer, which is specifically designed to do such things. And do not go it alone. Always make sure other tanks are following you, or that you are following other tanks. If not, turn back and regroup. The worst kind of game is the one in which you are the first to die.

Tank-specific advice depends largely upon the tech tree and type of tank. American heavies play wildly different from Russian heavies, and heavies of any kind are different from medium tanks. You should play around with each branch and tech tree to find what you like, or just analyze your play strategy in other games and compare that to what each tank offers you. I personally love playing with slow but powerful weapons, like a bazooka or a heavy mace, which guided my choice in going for the Russian heavy line first.

I have played nearly every medium and heavy tank in the game below tier eight. If you want any particular advice regarding a specific tank, just ask!

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 12:33AM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 12:31AM EDT

Each of the starter tanks does in a sense give you an idea of what to expect out of that nation’s Tech Tree.

• The Soviet MS-1 has access to the single largest gun for any of the starters, but it also have a very low ammo capacity. In addition, though the tank itself has good armor for a starter, it has the least health of any vehicle in the game.
  • The T1 Cunningham has the most powerful engine of any of the starters. It also has access to a pair of powerful semi-automatic guns, giving it great firepower. However, its armor is the thinnest of the starter tanks.
  • The German Ltraktor has a very large ammo capacity for its stock gun, which is actually one of the best guns for any of the starters. It also has the highest health of any starter tank. However, it only has 20mm auto-cannons to choose from aside from its stock gun.
  • The French FT-17 has the lowest top speed of any of the starter tanks, but can be upgraded to have the best power to weight ratio. It can also mount a very accurate and very fast 25mm gun that can put rounds on target downrange in a real hurry.

Here is some general advice on the specific nations in the game:

• The Americans are well rounded, with guns that are generally more accurate than the Soviets’ but not as accurate as the Germans’. They’re also faster than the Germans, but not quite as fast as the Soviets. Of note is that low tier American tanks tend to be quite tall, but then at Tier 7, they lower and widen the hulls. Also noteworthy is that high tier American heavy tanks tend to have very tough turrets, especially when taking them from the front; but weak hull armor. Another quirk of American tanks is that they have Tank Destroyers with turrets, allowing them to fire in a much wider arc than other nations’ TDs, sometimes a full 360 degrees. In fact, Americans have two TD lines: one with turrets, one mostly without. However, even on the “conventional” TD line, you still have the M10 Wolverine and M36 Slugger TDs, which both have turrets.
  • The Soviets tend to be faster, with larger caliber guns that do more damage. However, they tend to be much less accurate. Soviet tanks are also built with good armor that tends to be well sloped. However, many Soviet tanks’ ammo racks are very vulnerable, and a destroyed ammo rack destroys the tank outright, regardless of remaining health.
  • The Germans build large, heavy, tough tanks with extremely accurate guns. This makes them great for sniping or absorbing damage, but they tend to be much less mobile, making them easier to hit. Their guns also tend to do less damage. Germans also tend to use the biggest engines, though, so it can be balanced out. In particular, though their E-50 medium tank can weigh in at up to 67 tons, it has a 1200 HP engine, giving a power to weight ratio of just short of 20 horsepower per ton.
  • The French are kinda weird. At low tiers, their tanks are extremely well armored, even better than the Germans in some cases; but their engines are very poor at low levels, and their guns are very weak. Then at tier 5, they turn around completely, stripping out the armor for big engines and bigger guns. High tier French heavies are some of the most maneuverable machines in the game, and high tier French lights are highly effective scouts. Also, starting at tier 6 for their light tank line and tier 8 for their heavies, French tanks get revolver cylinder auto-loaders. This means that their powerful guns can let loose 6 rounds in succession before reloading. Their end tier SPG and TD also get auto-loaders.
Sep 04, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT

Also, when talking about country traits, most nations have exceptions to the rule.

For example, the Russian ST-1 Tier IX heavy plays more like the American style heavies than it’s fellow Soviet counterparts.

The VK3002DB German Medium plays a lot like the Russian mediums (which makes sense since it was designed to emulate the T-34 Russian Medium)

Here are some of my tips:

-When you reach tiers 5 or 6. You might want to keep the tanks of this tier when unlocking higher tiers. Tier 7 and above tend to be less profitable, with tiers 9 and 10 causing you to haemorrhage money even on a win. This is designed so people continue to play the middle tiers, as they are the best money earners.

- While it is okay to “camp” as Lionel has stated, try not to do it too much and only when it is beneficial for your team. For example, if your team pushes up the right flank and you decide to “camp” the right flank….you are contributing nothing at all! If your team pushes past the enemy, you are in a position that the enemy will never threaten! If your team fails to push past the enemy, you have failed to help your team mates by staying back and are now left all alone against the enemy counter attack!

There is also the threat of arty…as an arty player, I LOOOVE static targets ;)

- If you want to get to the high tiers quickly, focus on one nation’s line and grind it. I have nearly 3800 matches and all I got is one tier IX. A friend of mine who plays almost exclusively Russian tanks has about 2000-something battles and already has two Tier 10 heavies! Of course, there’s nothing wrong with dabbling in many nations and tank lines, me and Thomas do it all the time :P

- Focus your fire! Shoot at what your friends are shooting at! The quicker you take out enemy tanks, the better. Don’t spread the hot lead around, it just gives the enemy a longer time to shoot at you!

- Survive. There is no respawning in this game so every tank counts. Don’t be a hero, if you know an enemy is aiming at you, just waiting for you to pop out of cover, don’t risk it (unless you know you can survive and take him out) and wait him out, or perhaps change your position.

Basically, don’t suicide. It rarely helps the team.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 01:14AM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 01:13AM EDT

Yes, and as for specific vehicle classes:

• Light Tanks are where you start out, and so up to Tier 3, they’re generally able to fight just like regular tanks. However, at tier 4, they become dedicated scout tanks, and only the French have lights above tier 5. In general, light tanks are small, fast, poorly armored and armed, but with great view range and radio range. Thinking of them as akin to the Scout from Team Fortress 2 is definitely appropriate.
  • Medium Tanks are the workhorses. They’re not designed to do any one thing spectacularly, but they are generally more capable in every area than any other class. Some are faster, being closer to Scouts; while others are slower and more deliberate, akin to Sniper. In general, though, they’re just well rounded, like a Pyro relying mostly on his shotgun.
  • Heavy Tanks boast the thickest armor and some of the largest guns, but are very slow. The heaviest and slowest are a pair of German superheavy tanks, the E-100 and the Maus. The former weighs in at 140 tons. The latter tips the scales at over 180 tons and has to be powered by a 1750 HP engine to get anywhere. In general, though, heavy tanks are like Heavy Weapons Guy: big, slow, tough, but very hard hitting and very difficult to stop once they get up their momentum.
  • Tank Destroyers mount larger guns than even heavy tanks, but they usually lack turrets (though do note that the Americans have many turreted TDs). They also usually have less armor and HP than tanks of the same tier. They are very often used for ambushes, by waiting in a bush hoping something will drive into their field of fire. Many of the more accurate ones are definitely similar to the Sniper, but some have other weapons that makes it a bit harder to pin down an exact class.
  • Self Propelled Guns are used for long range indirect fire support. They mount the largest weapons and can inflict the most damage with a single round, but they can take forever to reload. Their shells are also ludicrously expensive in many cases. One thing of note is that no nation has SPGs past Tier 8. I kinda want to say that they’re similar to the Soldier, due to many relying on splash damage, but I won’t swear to that, considering how little armor many of them have.
Sep 04, 2012 at 02:19AM EDT

The developers are thinking of making Arty go up to Tier 10. But rather than add two more tiers, they’re gonna shift up the Tier 7 and 8 arties to tier 9 and 10 and add new arties at the now vacated tiers.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:27AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

The developers are thinking of making Arty go up to Tier 10. But rather than add two more tiers, they’re gonna shift up the Tier 7 and 8 arties to tier 9 and 10 and add new arties at the now vacated tiers.

Didn’t you say at one point that they were going to bump all SPGs currently in the game up two tiers? How would that work and what could they replace the lowest SPGs with?

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:31AM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Didn’t you say at one point that they were going to bump all SPGs currently in the game up two tiers? How would that work and what could they replace the lowest SPGs with?

I don’t recall saying that and if I did, I would be mistaken. Their plan is to uptier the current 7/8s and introduce newer ones in the middle, similar to adding the ELC AMX to the game.

Also, don’t mind me. Just showing off my mad skills :P

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:58AM EDT

Just bought a Dicker Max TD. First match, I get 5 kills and Steel Wall.

Granted, I got lucky on the Match Maker with a Tier 6 battle. Still kind of impressive because I got my right track blown off two or three different times.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:26AM EDT

I’d say the Steel Wall is more impressive than the 5 kills. The Dicker Max is all gun no armour!

More boasting:

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 01:21AM EDT
Sep 05, 2012 at 01:20AM EDT

Yeah, I was using a VK3K1P that I had killed for cover. Apparently, the only thing they could shoot with me behind their buddy like that was the lower right front corner of my tank.

Somehow, despite taking a bunch of shots to that corner, I never took one HP of damage while I was there.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:34AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Usually, the corners are no HP zones, just track damage.

That’s news to me. I’d have thought they’d switch to HE to kill me with splash damage, but they didn’t. Kinda odd.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:54AM EDT

The thought that the tracks simply absorb all of the HE damage anyway. Or most of it, anyway. I recall a time in my KV-2 in which I shot an HE shell at a T-50, and did less than10% damage to him. He was tracked, but took nearly no damage. This was probably a long time ago, so things might have changed with regards to HE damage.

Has anybody here driven the KV-13 before? I want to know what it is like before I buy it.

Sep 07, 2012 at 08:48AM EDT

Count Lionel wrote:

The thought that the tracks simply absorb all of the HE damage anyway. Or most of it, anyway. I recall a time in my KV-2 in which I shot an HE shell at a T-50, and did less than10% damage to him. He was tracked, but took nearly no damage. This was probably a long time ago, so things might have changed with regards to HE damage.

Has anybody here driven the KV-13 before? I want to know what it is like before I buy it.

I have it unlocked but haven’t bought it. From what I can tell, it’s inferior to the KV-1S…which is one tier earlier..

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:07AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I have it unlocked but haven’t bought it. From what I can tell, it’s inferior to the KV-1S…which is one tier earlier..

The KV-13 does have significantly better frontal hull armor, and on average slightly less armor everywhere else. I expect it to be faster and more maneuverable, being that it is a medium. It is the gun that I am most worried about. The top gun is also available on the T-34-85, a tier earlier as well. Altogether it seems like a very mediocre upgrade, more like a combination of two earlier tanks at that, and possibly not worth the money I would spend to get it. However, I want to get into the Russian medium line, and this is the highest tier that I have researched. I am debating whether the T-34-85 might not make an easier grind to the T-43.

Sep 07, 2012 at 09:19AM EDT

The T-34-85 is fine. I enjoy that tank and the new 85mm is quite good at that tier.

The T-43 is horrendous and the only saving grace it had (the 100mm D-10T) was removed. If the KV-13 is like it, then don’t get it and subject yourself to 85mm at Tier 7 twice.

I do know that the KV-13 is better than the T-43 but that weak damn gun just ruins everything.

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:16AM EDT

I’ve fully upgraded the M4A3E2 “Jumbo” Sherman (not “Elited”, mind you) and the last game I was in, I got 7 kills in my Easy Eight.

Shermans rock.

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:51PM EDT

Hell yeah they do! Three out of my top five most played vehicles are Sherman variants, but I only own the Jumbo at the moment. Way back when, I had limited garage space, so I had to sell the other two to make room for new tanks. Now I have plenty of room, but not enough money to buy either tank.

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:58PM EDT

Oh yeah guys, if you haven’t voted already:

Vote for World of Tanks in the Golden Joystick Awards

If World of Tanks win, WG is basically bribing us with all sorts of goodies!

Bonus code, which will give you 3 days of Premium Account and additional premium consumables! Top Tier vehicles discount (they will cost in credits as their ‘predecessors’ in the Tech Tree). This will include: Tier IX Medium Tanks Tier IX Tank Destroyers Tier IX Heavy Tanks Tier VII Self-Propelled Gun Artillery Tier VIII Premium Vehicles will receive a 15% discount! x5 XP for 1st victory 50% Discounts on equipment 50% Discounts on garage slots 50% Discounts on crew (re)training

I have literally never seen such offers given out. I DON’T CARE IF THIS IS CONSIDERED VOTE BUYING! DO IT NOOOOW!

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:34PM EDT

That bonus… hard to read… squinting… discounts on… equipment?

Eh, what the heck. I voted. An equipment discount would actually be really neat. I have a few high tier tanks that need rams and vents.

I also see that the test for 8.0 is out. I am tempted to try it being that they were so vague on exactly what they were adding, but I really do not want to spend three hours downloading the game again. My entire internet will die.

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:17PM EDT

Just went through my first match in the S-35CA. I had upgraded everything else, but I was using the stock 17 pdr.

I still managed to get 7 kills, including resetting the enemy’s attempted base capture by killing the one enemy left that was trying to cap our base.

0.35 accuracy and 144mm average pen is pretty badass. I’m just wondering what the 105mm gun for that thing will be like.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:35AM EDT

I don’t know why, but KYM always shrinks any copy paste from the WOT website :/

Anyway, I don’t know what’s going on in this video but I love it anyway:

@Nair:

This is what you will feel with the 105mm:

The 105mm is immense but some people stick with the 90mm because of the Higher DPM and accuracy. So don’t sell of the 90mm until you’re sure that you’re comfortable with the 105.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:54AM EDT

The 105 is a bit slow to fire, if you ask me, but the 90mm just doesn’t look like it has any real penetration. I think I’ll stick with the big gun.

Also, why is a weapon with 300 HP damage per hit and 165mm average pen listed as a Tier 6 gun and available on a Tier 5 vehicle? The Dicker Max gets a similar gun, but it’s listed as a Tier 8 gun, and the vehicle itself is Tier 6.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:31AM EDT

144mm Pen seems bad to you?

The SU-85 has 144 pen. The StuG 3 gets 135mm.

As for the gun:

It’s because the Dickermax’s gun is similar to the 10,5 cm KwK 45 L/52 on Tier 8 German vehicles while the S-35’s gun is similar to the 105 mm canon 13TR on the Tier 6 ARL 44.

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT

The 90mm on the S-35CA only has 135mm pen, not 144. And besides, I’ve already unlocked the ARL V39.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT

You said 144mm in your last post. YOU LIED TO ME!

135 is quite good. That’s what the StuG3 has and I love that little thing.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:58PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

You said 144mm in your last post. YOU LIED TO ME!

135 is quite good. That’s what the StuG3 has and I love that little thing.

I was talking about the 17 pdr., not the 90mm, in my first post dealing in the S-35CA.

But I get your point. Still, I feel as though 135mm wouldn’t be near enough against Tier 7s.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:31AM EDT

I was talking about the 17 pdr., not the 90mm, in my first post dealing in the S-35CA.

But I get your point. Still, I feel as though 135mm wouldn’t be near enough against Tier 7s.

Oh, the 17 pounder has higher pen than an upgraded gun? Interesting.

135mm pen is good. The only tanks you’ll have trouble penning frontally is the Tiger (P), T29 and the KV-3.

Sep 16, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Oh, the 17 pounder has higher pen than an upgraded gun? Interesting.

135mm pen is good. The only tanks you’ll have trouble penning frontally is the Tiger (P), T29 and the KV-3.

Yes, the 17 pdr. has higher pen than the last gun you’ll unlock for the S-35CA. You have to unlock the 105mm before you can research the 90mm DCA30 AC.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:00AM EDT

More SerB trolling!

Q: What will happen to Clan Wars? Most maps aren’t built with physics in mind.
A: Most players aren’t built with physics in mind. Have fun.

Q: What’s with the new super high penetration plasmaguns?
A: Plasma guns have high damage and splash, but low penetration. Rail guns have high penetration. You should do more research before asking questions.

Q: Why did you give the White Tiger 14960 HP instead of a round 15000?
A: We wanted to give it 14880 HP, but we figured the troll was too obvious.

To finish off, have a fun tank destroyer.

MOOOOOAR

Also, new [Image: emot-siren.gif] SerBfacts [Image: emot-siren.gif] Not that many questions were asked, I expected more. I guess everyone is too busy jumping off a bridge.

The StuK 42 (long 75’s TD variant) is also getting buffed.
The attacking speed restriction is cancelled. T95s and T28s will not be excluded from attacking teams.
There will never be a training room that can only take one player to dick around on new maps, since the server can’t take the amount of extra matches that would require to process.
Name changes will be processed automatically, without moderator approval.

Q: Did World of Tanks peak on its profitability?
A: Don’t hold your breath.

Q: How is the new German medium tree coming along?
A: Very well. We already made a Visio document!

Q: How are we supposed to attack with T95s?
A: Slowly but surely.

Q: Will Olga Sergeyevna come back?
A: This is the developers Q&A thread. We didn’t develop her.

Q: Don’t you think that people will start jumping off cliffs instead of playing properly once 0.8.0 hits?
A: Let them jump, I will shoot them, the grind will go faster.

Q: Will there be an option to buy 3, 6, 12 hours of premium? I can’t play for 24 hours straight.
A: You pay your rent monthly, do you never leave your house?

Finally, have a depressed AMX 50B-

What’s that? You want more?

The Object 701 (old IS-4) isn’t coming back as a premium tank.
Server unification isn’t coming any time soon.
The size of the Matilda is increasing. This will not impact its visibility.
The French premium arty is getting a matchmaking buff in 0.8.0.
Escort Mode is dead as a potential alternate game mode.
Historical and Garage battles are the next big things to look forward to.
No significant game-changing features aside from multiple turrets are planned.
Shooting armour that is thinner than your caliber increases shell normalization by the caliber divided by the armour thickness.
As soon as the new rendering engine works as well on old computers as the old one, the old one will be removed. Enjoy your bloom.
A lot of graphics settings for the old rendering engine disappeared on the test server. They will come back.
On the test server, zooming into sniper mode in the new engine can cause a severe FPS drop. This is a bug and will be fixed.
The current Object 263 model can depress its gun to the point where it clips through the front armour.
TDs also have a “turret ring” module, damaging which locks the gun’s horizontal traverse, even turretless once.
Interesting new mods showed up: sniper view in artillery and a free-roaming camera. Both have been deemed bannable.
The 50 meter “X-ray vision” for proximity spotting works as a sphere around the tank.
Pubbies in the Q&A thread are literally arguing that skills are OP and are demanding segregation of good players and bad players.

The mystery of the Agrimotor has been solved! It was made as a joke, but now serves as a placeholder image for tanks that haven’t been finished.

Q: What is the cause of the decreased quality of models in 0.8.0?
A: Your failing eyesight.

Q: How can I play Prohorovka Assault with my JpE-100? Sitting at the top of the railway tracks is suicide, sitting out in the field is suicide, sitting in the forest is worthless.
A: Don’t sit on the tracks, in the field, or in the forest.

Q: Can you make the tech tree be vertical instead of horizontal?
A: No, then it doesn’t fit into the minimum resolution supported by the game.

Q: Can the option exist for resolutions higher that the minimum?
A: So few players manage to find the settings menu that we need to make everything work by default.

Q: Why did you give 100 million credits and 100 million XP on the test server?
A: So the number is the same. We are so lazy that we consider Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to the humanity’s greatest invention.

Q: You promised World of Tanks will run on slow computers! I have an ASUS X51L, and it runs very slowly, even in 0.8.0.
A: We promised it will run on slow computers. That is a typewriter.

Q: Are Objects 261 and 263 paper tanks?
A: No, they are metallic.

Q: Can we hope that the SU-101 will get the BL-9S?
A: We can’t forbid hope.

Q: Can we hope that the SU-101 will get the M62-T2S back?
A: I changed my mind, I forbid it.

This dude is hilarious

Gaben in Russian form.

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:25AM EDT

SerB is fucking hilarious. Damn, I almost died laughing reading that.

However, I have a question. Why could it be that I think my Leichttraktor is the most fun tank in the game? For reference, this= is the configuration I use on it. I just don’t use APCR shells since I hear they lose a lot of penetration at range.

Also, what are those “Who Shot The Sheriff?” contests about?

Last edited Sep 18, 2012 at 11:50PM EDT
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:49PM EDT

However, I have a question. Why could it be that I think my Leichttraktor is the most fun tank in the game? For reference, this= is the configuration I use on it. I just don’t use APCR shells since I hear they lose a lot of penetration at range.

Sorry to double post, but I didn’t realize the site I was using for the Ltraktor config allows you to set ammo loads.

This is the config I use, with shells accounted for.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:28AM EDT

Why could it be that I think my Leichttraktor is the most fun tank in the game?

Probably because you have significantly more skill than the newbies who only stay on tier one for a day or two. I personally love driving my Tetrarch for exactly that reason. I get anywhere from three to ten kills in any game I play at that level. Any time I am having a bad losing streak I brighten things up by taking the Tet out for a spin.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:15PM EDT

Count Lionel wrote:

Why could it be that I think my Leichttraktor is the most fun tank in the game?

Probably because you have significantly more skill than the newbies who only stay on tier one for a day or two. I personally love driving my Tetrarch for exactly that reason. I get anywhere from three to ten kills in any game I play at that level. Any time I am having a bad losing streak I brighten things up by taking the Tet out for a spin.

Well yes, I think that’s part of it, but I think the Ltraktor is more fun than any other Tier 1 and most T2s.

Also, the Tetrarch has a monster of a gun for a Tier 2. I think it’s identical to the 2 pdr. the T18 TD can get.

EDIT: I take that back. I just checked the wiki, and it turns out, it is the same damn gun.

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 02:32PM EDT
Sep 19, 2012 at 02:19PM EDT

The Tetrarch has significantly slower load time, and much longer aiming time. Not quite the same gun unless you are only looking at the shell damage and pen values. Besides that, both tanks are at tier two. Although among premium tanks, which are supposed to be sub-par for their level, the Tetrarch does stand out quite a bit.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:44PM EDT

Same reason I jump into my Marder II from time to time. Lower skill level+your fully upgraded tank+100% crew=happy fun timez.

The Who Shot the Sheriff was a competition that WG used to run. For a certain time, the WG mods would log on the accounts called Sheriff_1[WG] and so on. If you killed them, you would get 250 gold provided you can submit a screenshot.

It was cancelled because people on the enemy team would forgo all sorts of teamwork and just rush to kill that single tank, usually throwing the game in the process.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:14PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Same reason I jump into my Marder II from time to time. Lower skill level+your fully upgraded tank+100% crew=happy fun timez.

The Who Shot the Sheriff was a competition that WG used to run. For a certain time, the WG mods would log on the accounts called Sheriff_1[WG] and so on. If you killed them, you would get 250 gold provided you can submit a screenshot.

It was cancelled because people on the enemy team would forgo all sorts of teamwork and just rush to kill that single tank, usually throwing the game in the process.

Oh I see. They ended up disrupting the game more often than not. I can see why those got canned, then.

And since you mentioned the Marder, I just have to ask: Even without counting their turreted TDs (including M10 Wolverine and M36 Slugger), is it just me, or do the American tank destroyers have better firing arcs on average?

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:23PM EDT

Oh I see. They ended up disrupting the game more often than not. I can see why those got canned, then.

And since you mentioned the Marder, I just have to ask: Even without counting their turreted TDs (including M10 Wolverine and M36 Slugger), is it just me, or do the American tank destroyers have better firing arcs on average?

I’ll have to do research on that. I’m only up to the Slugger/StuG3/Su-100 on each respective tree.

EDIT: To give this post more content, SerB TAKES OFF HIS SHIRT IN THIS VIDEO!

Last edited Sep 19, 2012 at 09:11PM EDT
Sep 19, 2012 at 09:03PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I’ll have to do research on that. I’m only up to the Slugger/StuG3/Su-100 on each respective tree.

EDIT: To give this post more content, SerB TAKES OFF HIS SHIRT IN THIS VIDEO!

I’ve just been reading the wiki and calculating firing arcs. It just seems like us Yanks don’t have to move around as much to get the shot.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:08PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Where’s X-Singular when I need a rendition of Panzerlied

I got your back bro

Shame that glorious PanzerKampfWagen IV of the Vaterland had to die. :\

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:35AM EDT

A StuG IV….not a Stug Drei but we’ll let is slide. Wonder when that tank will ever make it into the game?

Anyway, I posted a suggestion for a new Tier VIII premium on the main WOT forums:

T-55 Enigma Iraqi Premium tank

If you like it and have a WoT forum account. VOTE IT UP!

Anyway, there’s a new special coming up and hilariously it’s called the “Peace” special. It has discounts on the Matilda and all the major Tier 5 tanks (Sherman, PzIV, KV-1 and AMX-12t Tier 6)

The real good news is 50% on equipment and long term premium

Looks like I’m getting 6 more months of premium :D

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:03AM EDT

They’re doing it! They’re releasing 8.0!

Here it comes!

Impossible…..
IMPOSSIBLE!
There is NO WAY physics is anything bit a myth.
I’m on to you SerB…. you and your little tricks….
After the update if you launch the game all you’ll get is a gif of shirtless SerB dancing to some music with the words “LOL QUALITY” written on his belly.
I JUST KNOW IT!!!!

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:00PM EDT

X wrote:

Impossible…..
IMPOSSIBLE!
There is NO WAY physics is anything bit a myth.
I’m on to you SerB…. you and your little tricks….
After the update if you launch the game all you’ll get is a gif of shirtless SerB dancing to some music with the words “LOL QUALITY” written on his belly.
I JUST KNOW IT!!!!

“All German tanks now set on fire if you go over a bump. Enjoy the game -SerB”

Also, more SerB facts:

Literally every other question posted this week was “will my typewriter/microwave/Bluray player/eMac be able to run the new renderer”, so here are very few SerBfacts

Turns out you can already recruit British crewmen in your barracks, even though the Matilda Black Prince isn’t even out yet.
Game mode selection in platoons will be in 0.8.1
Counting damage for ramming someone off a cliff will come “later”.
There will be a 4th iteration of the public test.
The “standard” graphics mode sacrifices some things like shadows and non-terrible water for performance.
The test server has all sorts of “technical” tanks unlocked, which you can view a list of them by looking at the list of tanks you can train crewmen for. You can’t buy them or use them though.
Tanks may gain the ability to flip over once the engine can handle it.

Q: You’re nerfing my KV-5, I won’t be able to penetrate sloped armour after the normalization nerf! You promised you won’t nerf premiums!
A: Learn to shoot.

Q: Why does artillery deal more damage to moving targets?
A: Excuse me, but this is lunacy.

Q: You released test 3, and then promise test 4! What’s the point of test 3 then?
A: Believe it or not, test 3 is for testing the patch.
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:00PM EDT

So, 8.0 has been out for a little while now. I think it’s great. The new physics engine is really something.

What do you guys think of it?

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:17PM EDT

Oh yeah, great fun. There is now an option to suicide once again, so that is a good thing I suppose. Better to leap to my death than let the enemy kill me. Maybe it has something to do with pride.

You do know about those bloodthirsty mongrels who say “kill all!” and get infuriated when the game ends by a base cap. Well, I suppose they have finally found a way to end such caps without team killing. I saw today on two occasions larger tanks pushing lighter vehicles out of the cap circle.

I recently got an IS. It is fairly decent stock. I really hate grinding through tanks, so upgrading this is going to take a while. I have also managed to obtain all of my Shermans once again, so that is good. I also bought a Panzer IV, since it now looks pretty and I can be less ashamed of being in possession of it. I eagerly await the next equipment sale; all of these new tanks need rammers and vents.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:27PM EDT

Love 8.0

One of the best new things about the physics engine is that if you angle your tank right, you can slide down from nearly any cliff with no damage at all. This is really great if you’re in a slow tank and can’t be arsed to go find a proper route.

The new render looks great and has usually given me about 10 extra frames per second over the old one. Which is astounding considering how damn good it looks!

But anyway, I’m more psyched for 8.1! BRITISH TANKS ARE FINALLY HERE!

After 8.0 we’re still hard at work; here are a few things that will be rolling out in the next few patches.

Map Updates:

Province
El Halluf
Dragon’s Ridge
Abbey
*We’ll gradually be retouching all of the maps and making visual improvements with each update.

Introduction of the British Tree:

Light Tanks
Cruiser Mk 1
Valentine
Cruiser Mk IV
Covenanter
Cruiser Mk II
Cruiser Mk III
Crusader

Medium Tanks
Vickers Medium Mk I
Vickers Medium Mk II
Vickers Medium Mk III
Infantry Tank Mk II Matilda
Cromwell
Comet
Centurion Mk I
Centurion Mk III
FV4202 (105)

Heavy Tanks
Churchill I
Churchill VII
Black Prince
Caernarvon
Conqueror
FV215b

Introduction of new Premium Tanks

German tier 6: Pz IV Schmalturm (medium)
German tier 7: Panther M10 (medium)
Soviet tier 7: SU-122-44 (tank destroyer)
Please keep in mind that all topics and items here are still in the developmental stages and may change again before implementation

GLORY GLORY BRITANNIA! THE SAXON HORDES APPROACH!

Oct 06, 2012 at 11:39AM EDT

Bringing this back from the dead.

8.1 test is up! Has anyone tried playing the new British tanks?

If like me, and have shitty bandwidth, you’ll have to let darqueling walk you through the tiers:

He has another video of the tier 3 and 4 tanks and is working on tier 5 and 6.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:55AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!