Forums / General

191,303 total conversations in 5,246 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9,954 conversations with 194 participants

Hey guys, earlier today there was a bunch of porn uploaded to the MLP: FiM entry.

I don’t know how many of you browse it anymore, but in the future if you see any porn or spamming in it, please tell a moderator with ban powers and image deletion powers or an administrator.

It saves us a ton of work if the spammer isn’t allowed to have hours to do their thing, if it’s caught early. It takes forever to remove 70ish images that were spammed into a gallery. Trust me.

Thanks a ton.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:15AM EDT

@Nightmare Moon:

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Chrysalis, and why so many people fawn over her. She’s not nearly as cute as a normal pony, not nearly as evil as you, not nearly as humorous as Discord, and has shown very little character compared to many characters.

I also don’t see why PopperFett likes her so much. I mean, she’s a soul-sucking shapeshifter who wants the destruction of all opposing coun-

You know, I can see why an Imperial would like that, come to think of it…

Anyways, I can at least understand why Pyro likes Luna, and by extension you.

@Jackal and the Wesker thing:

You cannot believe how long it is going to take me to clean up all of this jizz. Wesker was one of the best parts of RE5.

So, to all the people who have yet to join the herd…

There’s no point in hiding!

@Pyro:

All of my robot unicorns.

And wuts. Because holy fuck is that video confusing.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:37AM EDT
Quote

Chris wrote:

Hey guys, earlier today there was a bunch of porn uploaded to the MLP: FiM entry.

I don’t know how many of you browse it anymore, but in the future if you see any porn or spamming in it, please tell a moderator with ban powers and image deletion powers or an administrator.

It saves us a ton of work if the spammer isn’t allowed to have hours to do their thing, if it’s caught early. It takes forever to remove 70ish images that were spammed into a gallery. Trust me.

Thanks a ton.

You know, adding a “flag” or “report” option onto images would be nice and is something that I’ve been wondering for a long time why it doesn’t exist.

Unless it exists and I don’t know about it?

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:51AM EDT
Quote

Explosive Lasers wrote:

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Chrysalis, and why so many people fawn over her. She’s not nearly as cute as a normal pony, not nearly as evil as you, not nearly as humorous as Discord, and has shown very little character compared to many characters.


/argument

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:18AM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:17AM EDT
Quote

@Chris
When did that happen?
I always try to report R34 spam and I’m on the image board quite often, but I didn’t see anything objectionable today (except the ‘arrow-to-the-knee’ crap, but that’s not really a bannable offense).
Either I completely spaced out for a long time or you mods are super-quick!
Good work either way!

@Lasers
The song helped boost her quite a bit in a lot of people’s eyes, mine included.
Chrysalis also has a cool, dark kind of charm, I guess.
A little like Trixie’s sly, cunning attitude (appropriate considering they share a voice actor).
Plus, her design is very menacing yet still appealing and one of the more truly scary-looking things in the show so far.
I wouldn’t necessarily say that I like her more than NMM or Discord, but she’s certainly a strong contender.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:00AM EDT
Quote

@Explosive Lasers

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Chrysalis, and why so many people fawn over her. She’s not nearly as cute as a normal pony, not nearly as evil as you, not nearly as humorous as Discord, and has shown very little character compared to many characters.

Relatable characters are more appealing. Chrysalis is deceptive, manipulative, arrogant, and a bit power hungry as well. I can relate to that.

In addition, she may not be as cute, but (as far as characters in little girls’ cartoons go) she has a more frightening appearance. I like that. As for not as evil, one wanted to make night last forever, which would kill everything. The other wanted to take over Canterlot, then the rest of Equestria, draining it of all love. Both sound pretty damn evil. However, Luna just wanted to feel appreciated, and Chrysalis just wanted to feed her subjects. Honestly, who is more evil is purely subjective. You have a point with humor, though. Chrysalis isn’t funny. As for having very little character, I disagree. Like I said, she’s deceptive, manipulative, arrogant, and a bit power hungry. Sounds like character to me.

You cannot believe how long it is going to take me to clean up all of this jizz.

INORITE? Pony is one step closer to total global saturation.

@Twins
Actually, I liked Cadence’s parts in the song more. The way the vocalist captured the emotion in that song was excellently done, and I prefer her smooth vocal tone to that of Chrysalis. Chrysalis had a cooler voice when she was out of her disguise.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:42AM EDT
Quote

Chris wrote:

Hey guys, earlier today there was a bunch of porn uploaded to the MLP: FiM entry.

I don’t know how many of you browse it anymore, but in the future if you see any porn or spamming in it, please tell a moderator with ban powers and image deletion powers or an administrator.

It saves us a ton of work if the spammer isn’t allowed to have hours to do their thing, if it’s caught early. It takes forever to remove 70ish images that were spammed into a gallery. Trust me.

Thanks a ton.

In case you people don’t know, both Chris and I have banning and image powers. So both of us can deal with porn being uploaded. Reason that I’m saying this is that yesterday Connor went to Verbose to tell him about a porn spammer. Verbose then went to the IRC to tell us about it, as he lacks both image and ban atm.

Also try to jump in the IRC if possible. Most of the time there’s a mod or staff member there who can help you out with it.


@Phoneix

There isn’t one atm.


@Deadparrot

It was dealt with pretty quicly, so most of you probably missed it. But it was IRL horse porn with the horses being changed into the colors of the MLP ponies.

Don’t know who you reported the porn to in the past, but if it worked it’s fine by me.


Explosive Lasers wrote:

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Chrysalis, and why so many people fawn over her. She’s not nearly as cute as a normal pony, not nearly as evil as you, not nearly as humorous as Discord, and has shown very little character compared to many characters.

I have that too. I don’t really get how people findn Chrysalis “cute”. She wasn’t cute in the episode and never meant to be that. Same with Nightmare Moon (Luna not included). Fans make fanart of the character in which they appear or act cute, but it doesn’t change the fact that is their canon personality. And their canon personalities simply don’t appeal to me. They’re the antagonists, why should they?

Same way I don’t understand why so many love Trixie. She is simply the bitchy boasting character. I was never really a fan of those type of characters in tv shows, Trixie being no exception. Seeing Trixie as cute or innocent or wanting to be loved or anything like that, I don’t get it.

I’m not telling others to not like them, but I won’t follow you.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 08:45AM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 08:31AM EDT
Quote

@Nightmare Moon
Don’t worry about it. You are the original villain: the one who set the standard should another villain arise. In fact, because of the series opener being such a success, you could say your character was partially involved in the creation of the brony community.
Now Chrysalis, she’s different. Like parrot said she’s the new girl in town. Though she may be getting a lot of attention, you’re not forgotten. Everyone here knows how I feel about Chrysalis, but you’re still pretty cool. Correction: very cool.
So…

@Lasers
Assuming my “Imperial” background is anyway related…

@Random Man
With a fandom that’s very much driven under it’s own power to create, I’d say fanart, fanfics, and just fandom opinions would very much change the way one would usually think of a character. You’d see a helluva lot more Chrysalis & Nightmare Moon as a result of the fandom’s interest in them. Also, ambition is something seen a desirable by some people (including me).

Jun 20, 2012 at 09:09AM EDT
Quote

Jackal Lantern wrote:

HEY.

HEY YOU.

GUESS WHO WILL BE JOINING ANDREW W.K. AT CANTERLOT GARDENS.

D.C. MOTHERFUCKIN’ DOUGLAS.

Sound familiar? No? Let me refresh your memory:




That’s right… Albert Wesker is a brony.
Hell Yes.

@Nightmare Moon
Hasbro doesn’t make Chrysalis toys. Just sayin’.
Also, you have a stellar moustache no changeling could ever hope to replicate.

SHEER BEAUTY!

If you’re still feeling down, I know what’ll cheer you up. A MAKEOVER!

EBIT:
@Seal Clubba
Dude, did you miss what Verbose just said?

Stop quoting large images unless you’re quoting from the previous page, blah blah blah, what do I care, you’ll forget like you did the last several times I’ve said it.

Please watch what you quote. Particularly when it is only one or two posts behind yours.

Uhh…no. Sorry Jackal. I usually tend to miss a lot of stuff going on in this thread seeing how i mostly skim it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 09:35AM EDT

@Twins:

I like the BBBFF song more than This Day Aria, and I like Cadence’s singing more than Chrysalis’s.

Try again. I expected more of a challenge after all this time!

@Deadparrot:

I don’t get the love for Trixie, either. Especially since it’s so widespread. In the show itself, she just showed that she was rude and insulting, making a whole town feel bad. Furthermore, she nearly got the entirety of Ponyville destroyed, and refused to learn a lesson in the end. She showed a stubborn trait that made me think she’s an arrogant bitch (you know, beyond everything else she did earlier), which makes me wonder why people are so quick to make redemption fics about her.

The same applies to Gilda, kinda. She was an all-around jerk during the episode she was in, so I don’t see why so many people like her. I suppose, in a way, that she’s sympathetic as she lost her childhood. friend, but she kind of brought it upon herself.

@Jackal:

A soul-sucking doublecrosser that wants to infiltrate a group so she can spread anger and cruelty in them, and feed off the feelings of friendship they once had for each other can be related to?

First, I’d like to introduce you to somebody:

Second, I’d like to ask what the fuck?

@Random:

Yeah, I’m kind of just debating this because it bothers me and we have little else to discuss. We have a lot of people that like the villains here, and I’m just wondering why. I also don’t understand why so many people adore Luna beyond belief, and why the fandom keeps hammering in that Lyra loves hands because she sat a certain way once (a way countless ponies have sat since) and how Derpy is gay for muffins after saying ‘Muffins’ in a crowd that SAID THE SAME THING.

I just sometimes question our fandom.

@Popper:

>2012
>Implying Imperials aren’t soul-sucking, power hungry bitches
>MFW:

I raise another point: If being arrogant and prideful is easy to relate to, why do people hate Blueblood so much? After all, he was kind of just a less boastful male version of Trixie, in that he was arrogant, prideful, and thought better of himself. You could also chalk up his attitude to the method he was raised in, as a lot of nobility were raised to think they were better than everybody else.

So, if what Jackal said was true with those truly undesirable traits being easy to relate to, shouldn’t Blueblood be liked a lot more, and related to often?

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:44AM EDT
Quote

@Lasers

Logic is indeed weird with the same type of characters, yet the reactions they spawn are so different.

  • Chrysalis: Deceptive arrogant power hungry tyrant who feeds of other people’s love for her own good. -> “Fucking deep character. Love her!”
  • Tyrant Celestia: Deceptive arrogant power hungry tyrant who doesn’t feed of other people’s love. -> “Ohmygawd that’s not the true Celestia. Don’t you dare find her better than regular Celestia!”
  • Flutterbitch: Huge cunt who takes pleasuse in teasing others. -> “Lol, so different from regular Fluttershy. Love her!”
  • Trixie: Arrogant bitch who constantly boasts about her own talents, considers herself better than everyone else and refuces to learn a thing. -> “So. Fucking. Kawaii!”
  • Blueblood: Arrogant ass who considers himself better than others and takes pride into his position as a prince. -> “Fucker should go die.”

I guess with Blueblood it depends on if you can stick your dick into it.

I’m actually somewhat serious with that one. Even if certain bronies don’t dare to admit it, the fact that Blueblood is male has to be taken in consideration. They just prefer the female characters.


@Algernon (below me)

Actually, about Trixie. You say that Blueblood takes pride into his position, something which Trixie doesn’t. But that’s untrue. Trixie takes pride in her position as a unicorn who can do fancy magic. The things they take pride in are different, but they both do it nonetheless.

And yeah, I wish Seth would stop mentioning Trixie in every fucking post he makes. So much unfair love for Trixie simply because Seth feels the need to mention his love for her constantly. It really ruins the character for me instead of helping me like her.

Trixie is basically EqD’s arrow-to-the-knee. Because it got repeated so many times, you start disliking it.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:07AM EDT
Quote

Lasers wrote:

I raise another point: If being arrogant and prideful is easy to relate to, why do people hate Blueblood so much? After all, he was kind of just a less boastful male version of Trixie, in that he was arrogant, prideful, and thought better of himself. You could also chalk up his attitude to the method he was raised in, as a lot of nobility were raised to think they were better than everybody else.

So, if what Jackal said was true with those truly undesirable traits being easy to relate to, shouldn’t Blueblood be liked a lot more, and related to often?


It’s just too easy to hate Blueblood. He’s a pompous ass because he happened to be born into riches, and that makes it very hard to sympathise with him. Trixie can say “I’m better than you, because magic”, but all Blueblood can say is “I’m better than you because aristocracy”, so he seems like more of a dick. At least Trixie had to work for her arrogance.

It’s easier for people to think of excuses for Trixie’s behaviour too. Her boasting may have been her overcompensating for insecurities, or maybe she was just putting on an act. I’ve seen both explanations in various fanfics, and while the first one is kinda hard to buy, the second actually makes a lot of sense. It’s harder to excuse Blueblood’s actions.

It also doesn’t help that Blueblood’s a dude. I think people would hate him a little less if he were female. Most of the female characters in the show are sorta cute, while you can’t say that about any of the males (’cept maybe that Braeburn fellow…). It makes it a little easier to forgive them for being total assholes.

Finally, blame EqD. I doubt Trixie would be as popular as she is without Seth constantly going on about her. He doesn’t do it so much now, but he used to spam Trixie pretty hard a while ago. Now it’s mostly ‘Twilight is cutest and best pony’ spam, and this time it seems like the entire staff are behind it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:14AM EDT
Quote

@Random:

Yeah, we had the discussion over whether it was because they were female some time ago. We eventually found ourselves in a stalemate, but I still think it has something to do with it.

As for Tyrant Celestia, I think it’s not a matter of her not feeding on love, but more a matter of her being a negative and corrupting depiction of an otherwise good and noble character. It’s like the deal where Popper flips his shit with ‘corrupting’ pics and how Pyro has a mental breakdown when he finds ‘negative’ pics of Luna (kidding, don’t burn me). I can kinda sympathize with it, despite seeing all the different personalities of Celestia as jokes.

But, yeah, the reaction to Blueblood’s personality, considering how goddamn close it is to Trixie’s, is more than a little bit extreme.

@Algy:

I don’t see how Trixie being a bitch because she wants to is better than Blueblood being a bitch because he was taught that was how he was supposed to act. Believe it or not, I know a lot of people that were kinda snobby when they were younger, but slowly became nicer and more open when they grew out of their parents’ influence. The people that act arrogant because that’s the way they want to act are different, because they’re a lot harder to get along with.

I suppose it’s somewhat reasonable to say it was a deal with having an on-stage persona, but she didn’t really do much to earn people’s love. As for Seth and EqD, believe me, I know, and it irks me a bit, but I don’t really care. He’s just a guy that runs a popular site, and he has/d a favorite pony.

As for male characters not being cute, I disagree. The colts are adorable as hell, and I can argue Big Mac and Caramel can be, too. It’s really just an opinion, which I guess can help decide the sway of whether a character is accepted or not.

I just wanted to point out that the kind of people Blueblood is supposed to be like are a lot easier to get along with overtime than the people Trixie is supposed to be like.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:25AM EDT
Quote

@Lasers
Not all Imperials are soul-sucking power hungry bitches. Just the guy in power (I admit, Palpatine’s kinda a jerk). I just work where the money is.
If the Alliance would pay me more than the Imperials do, I’d switch sides in a heartbeat.

@Blueblood
I think we’ve discussed this already, but I’ll weigh in again.

“I guess with Blueblood it depends if you can stick you dick into it”

Well, that’s a harsh way of putting it. But logically, the hate of him does strend from the fact he’s a male who acts like a asshole in the eyes of a largely male-heterosexual fanbase. I’d say that being “bad” to an extent is seen as desirable in a female.
Now you can’t discredit our females, though. I’m pretty sure that the last conversation we had about this included Twins saying she did like Blueblood. So, he’s only really unpopular with male fans it seems (which makes up most of the fanbase).
Personally, I’ve never really hated Blueblood, but I wasn’t interested in his character either. He had no real ambition; just was a jerk. Characters like Chrysalis have ambition and power, which is seen as desirable and attractive with a female by some.


Now, thinking about this, what if the next big villain in MLP is another male. Now Discord was popular because of DeLancie bringing his character to life and how dynamic and awesome Discord was.
Per say (and purely hypothetically), this new one is a male alicorn, who had to contend with Celestia for the throne, and is now trying to take it again. Would you think such a character would be well received? Remember that DeLancie was Q and that Discord emulated some of the same traits.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 11:32AM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:30AM EDT
Quote

Hey im a brony and im new (as in new i mean ive been on kym for about 4-5 months now and havent made an account til now) to KYM :D
so hi :D
@ whatevs going on above this post
Blueblood seems to be arrogant and “douchy” non purposefully, while Trixie actually feeds on the jealousy of others to boost her self esteem (she talks about defeating an ursa minor and doing so seems to be impossible, so she uses that to make people think shes bigger than everypony else)

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 11:39AM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:38AM EDT
Quote

@Popper

Had to google a bit off Alicorn OC and hold back my puke, but I managed.

Let’s say that that guy is the new season 3 Alicorn villain. He’s family of Celestia and Luna and returned to Canterlot for the sole purpose of taking back the throne, the one which he lost to Celestia.

I think bronies will give him the Blueblood threatment. He’s male, hungry for power, and takes pride into his position as royalty. Doesn’t care about the sake of the people and how happy they are under the ruling of Celestia, he just wants his throne back. Not to forget he’s an Alicorn, bronies tend to dislike Alicorn OC’s so we can’t be sure how they’ll react to a new canon one.

Going back again to the sex of the pony in question. Now answer this honestly, but would you love Chrysalis just as much if she was male? (I meant just as in liking the character, not romantically)

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:09PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:47AM EDT
Quote

@badsitrep
wat
moar wats
There are not enough wats in the world to describe that…. that….
WAT

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:52AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan:

I guess with Blueblood it depends on if you can stick your dick into it.

If that’s really it, then some people aren’t trying hard enough. =)

In all seriousness, yeah, there probably is an element of ‘sexism’ in the distinctions made between Trixie and Blueblood.
Personally, I just find Trixie far more interesting, mainly because she actually does things, even if they are wrong-headed.
Blueblood was just kind of there. I don’t hate him like I’ve seen many people express, I’m just somewhat indifferent.
I did read a very entertaining story about him a while back though, so his redemption isn’t unheard of, just more rare: BEST NIGHT EVER
Basically, it’s Groundhog Day but with Blueblood at the Gala.

@New alicorn villain
I don’t like to take options off the table in a ‘this-could-never-possibly-work’ kind of way because with good writing, I honestly think that just about anything could be done well, but I’d rather not see this happen.
Introducing Cadance was iffy enough with fans.
I don’t think that introducing even more ‘legendary’ alicorns would be a good direction to go.
Especially when the writers seem to be quite free to pick from any number of fantasy worlds (dragons, minotaurs, hydras, etc.), it would be more interesting to introduce new species than just variants of existing ones.

@badsitrep
Yay!
Now Applecrab has a friend!

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:01PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:52AM EDT
Quote

@Random Man
…to be honest…I wouldn’t love him romantically if that’s what you mean. I’m heterosexual, so…yeah.

@Megalozors
Welcome to hell the forums.
As you can see, we have strange discussions, but we don’t bite. We have a few rules though (other than the ones stated stated directly (no porn, etc.))
-Don’t talk about the Derpy thing. People get butthurt about it like nobody’s buisness (trust me, I know).

-Try not to quote large posts on the same page. Verbose (our forum mod) doesn’t really like that and yesterday he made a statement about it.
Now to introduce you to our notable folk:
-Verbose is the forum mod. He’s a pretty neat guy, but what he says his law. Period.

-RandomMan is one of our Sr. Entry Mod. Pretty high up too. By posting here, it is assumed you’re in his “army of bitches” now.

I’ll allow someone else to introduce the rest of the cast.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57AM EDT
Quote

Lasers wrote:

I don’t see how Trixie being a bitch because she wants to is better than Blueblood being a bitch because he was taught that was how he was supposed to act.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I tend to be pretty biased against the upper classes, so I struggle to see the good in people who act that way, whether or not it was ‘their fault’ or a fault of their upbringing. I don’t think Trixie would have decided to act like that either though. Nobody ever thinks to themselves “I should be an arrogant jerk from now on”, it’s just something that happens due to your environment (I also bet genetics play a large role in it). She would have had just as little control over it as him, but with her we don’t know the reasons for it. Maybe she had a rough upbringing or something, and that would make it much easier to sympathise with her.

As for male characters not being cute, I disagree. The colts are adorable as hell, and I can argue Big Mac and Caramel can be, too. It’s really just an opinion, which I guess can help decide the sway of whether a character is accepted or not.

Wait, are we using the actual definition of colt here, or are we just using it to describe ‘male ponies’? If you’re referring to the children, then I’d definitely agree, but that’s mostly because they’re kids. I can’t say I’ve ever seen Big Mac as a cute character, but I’ll agree with Caramel, but only because of this scene:

Edit: I screwed up the imbed, so you’ll have to skip manually to 17:00 for the scene I was talking about.


Popperfett wrote:

Now you can’t discredit our females, though. I’m pretty sure that the last conversation we had about this included Twins saying she did like Blueblood. So, he’s only really unpopular with male fans it seems (which makes up most of the fanbase).

Personally, I’ve never really hated Blueblood, but I wasn’t interested in his character either. He had no real ambition; just was a jerk. Characters like Chrysalis have ambition and power, which is seen as desirable and attractive with a female by some.

>Twins says something
>Every female in the fandom must agree

I don’t know if there’s any evidence that male or female fans of the show hate Blueblood to different degrees. If there is, I’d be interested in seeing it.

I don’t really hate Blueblood too much either. He seems like a total douche, but that was the intention when they designed his character. I don’t understand why he’s hated as much as he is. It’s even worse with Gilda, as I’ve seen people say things like “She made Fluttershy cry, kill that bitch!” a few times, and I don’t even think they were joking. It’s kinda pathetic really.

Now, thinking about this, what if the next big villain in MLP is another male. Now Discord was popular because of DeLancie bringing his character to life and how dynamic and awesome Discord was.

Per say (and purely hypothetically), this new one is a male alicorn, who had to contend with Celestia for the throne, and is now trying to take it again. Would you think such a character would be well received? Remember that DeLancie was Q and that Discord emulated some of the same traits.

Nah, I think most of the appeal in Discord was in his humour and DeLancie’s brilliant voice acting. The fact that he was male wasn’t terribly important. That idea of a male alicorn taking back the throne would probably stir up one hell of a shitstorm if that was actually announced, so let’s hope it never actually happens. I mean, if people reacted that badly to Cadance, how do you think they’d react to another alicorn being randomly introduced?


Edit: Ninja count: 6

@DeadParrot
I read The Best Night Ever a while ago. That was a damn good read.

@Popperfett
Verbose isn’t ‘our’ forum mod, he’s just a regular forum mod. He doesn’t have any special privileges in this thread.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:02PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57AM EDT
Quote

@Deadparrot

“If that’s really it, then some people aren’t trying hard enough. =)”

“then some people aren’t trying hard enough. =)”

“some people aren’t trying hard enough. =)”

“aren’t trying hard enough. =)”

“hard enough. =)”

“=)”

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:01PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 12:00PM EDT
Quote

@Takashi


Now, I see the input for the alicorn discussion. Good points, good points…


Now what if said alicorn was voiced by Patrick Stewart or James Earl Jones?

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16PM EDT
Quote

@Next Villain Voice:
He should totally be voiced by Weird Al:

@Trixie vs Blueblood
I think we all know my answer here. And no, I still can’t think of a proper reason why she’s one of my favorite ponies.

Although there is that one time…
You know how teachers sometimes do this sort of “Jeopardy” thing to prepare for tests and stuff? Normally she’d divide the class into two teams, but I personally asked her if I could be on my own and go against the rest of the class. For no other reason than I wanted to show off.
I won…. by a lot….

And that is why Trixie is best pony!

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:36PM EDT
Quote

@megalolzors:

’Verbose is the local TL;DR king and a mod, RandomMan gets all the bitches and is generally the best guy ever, Algy likes fan-fics, Muffinator and I are clones (according to Verbose), Ric is a pegasus with augmentation bullshit, Popper is a Mandalorian with the hots for Chrysalis, Pyro is Nightmare Moon’s waifu (and vice-versa), Twins is a girl that’s been strangely absent, Dac provides the shitstorms and controversy, and Princess Celestia is best pony. El Slinker, Windigo, Zarathh, and everybody else are awesome bros that come before hoes.

Now that that’s out of the way, make sure to be kind, contribute to discussions when you can and try to be nice and you’ll do fine. If you go to the Just For Fun forum, Captain Serious (AKA Thomas Nair) is kind of a dick, and hates bronies with a passion. Try to troll him as often as possible.’

Reposting my introduction deal for newbs.

@Random:

I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to the idea of a male alicorn trying to retake the throne if it was done correctly. I doubt it’d be nearly as bad as many of the retarded OCs that have been created, as the writes for the show are better than the lowest tier of the brony fandom.

So, if done correctly with a reason for why he was gone (imprisoned, trapped, etc.), then I could see it kind of working out. A lot of bronies would be opposed to it, of course.

As for Chrysalis being male, I don’t really like her right now, so being male wouldn’t really influence my opinions.

@Algy:

Yeah, I didn’t really mean it as in ’I’m gonna be a bitch!’, though that might be a factor in it (I know people that do that, and it is damn annoying). But, still, Blueblood is far from the anti-Christ the fandom paints him as so often. He has one of those personalities that comes from the parents and takes some changing and getting used to.

As for colts, I meant the children, just like fillies means female child. Mare and stallion mean the adults, at least to me.

@Windigo:

He should be a cunning tactician with a mind far more clever than all others…

Voiced by Morgan Freeman.

Also, showing off is different than being an arrogant bitch. And if Trixie is just showing off, then so is Blueblood. Except Blueblood was raised to be that way.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:41PM EDT
Quote

@Appeal of villians
People tend to go for antagonists a lot. I think its because the whole “love the good guy” this has been done so much already. I like antagonists more because they usually have more intriguing qualities. Protagonists are all to boring, I guess.
The case with Chrysalis and Moon is that you have more room to work with. Moon didn’t get a lot of screentime to flesh out her character, and she didn’t receive that much of an explaination on what happened with the whole “eternal night” thing, just enough to make a convincing story for the first episodes. People wanted a better explaination, so they made one. The fact that she was turned into a cute little helpless pony was partially responsible for it being a sob story.
Chrysalis received significantly better treatment with her character. More screentime, a more complete explaination, and better showing of key personality traits. She has less room for fanon explainations, but I guess with her it works out.
I personally like Moon more mostly because she’s got a better overall character design. I like her personality, fanon or not. She’s got a good work ethic, motivated, willing to get her hooves dirty for her goal. Sure, she may be overconfident, but a lot of her traits appeal to me and seem more well-executed than Chrysalis.
Moon’s appearence design appeals to me more. She’s sleek, powerful-looking, kick-ass armor, a sexy figure, excellent mane, and her cat eyes. Chrysalis is full of holes, her mane is just messy and dirty, her figure is okay, but not as good as Moon’s, and overall I like Moon’s design more.
As for the rest of the antagonists, they’re just not as well-done for me as Moon’s. Trixie and Gilda had virtually no redeeming qualities. You can get away with making Gilda nice with the explaination that she and Dash were “friends” (but that requires that RD be lezbo, and I don’t see her as that), but Trixie had nothing to make her a redeemable character. She was a bitch, plain and simple. IMO, the EqD thing is irritating as fuck.
Discord, on the other hand, was a loveable character. He was lulzy, he carried a feel of class while balancing the prankster aspect, and overall he was really fleshed-out and well executed. I liked his chaotic aspect, what fun is there in order.
Blueblood being a dick and hated for it is easy to explain. Bitchy, stuck up women are loved by guys and hated by women. Bitchy, stuck up guys are loved by women and hated by guys. It all depends on gemder.
So those are my two cents on this thing. Make of it what you will.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 12:49PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 12:43PM EDT
Quote

@Popper
I’d love to see either of those two do a voice, but maybe just not as an alicorn.
James Earl Jones’s deep voice would make a kick-ass dragon or Titan or some other large creature and I still like the idea of Patrick Stewart as Starswirl and having him fight Discord alongside Luna and Celestia in a flashback episode just for the Star Trek reference (and the awesome job he would do, no doubt!).

@Windigo
Weird Al would be amazing!
He was one of the first celebrities to acknowledge ponies way back in the day (I think he tweeted a mash-up of Pinkie’s parasprite march set to one of his polkas), and I think he even said that he would be open to doing it if asked.
I’m not sure what kind of villain he would be, but any cameo would be cool.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:47PM EDT
Quote

@trixie
Honestly, I dont think she is bad. She goes to a town to put on a show, she gets a couple hecklers, a couple of idiot kids get an Ursa minor pissed and her trailer gets destroyed. Yeah, she’s arrogant, but shit, she’s putting on a show. If you don’t like it, leave. Snips and snails parents should pay for the trailer.

@ villains discussion
Besides discord, I don’t really care for any of the villains. They strike me as kinda flat characters. Not much to them besides " I am evil Muhahahahaha!". But mabye it is precisely the reason people love them so much. You can visualize them any way you want because the show doesnt really give you much to go on.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:50PM EDT
Quote

‘sup guys. so, i finally decided to jump into the forum. things are getting a bit to summer-ry over in the MLP page. i’ll be hanging out here and in the image gallery from here on out.

i may contribute soon, provided i’m not busy with school-related stuff.

Cheers.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51PM EDT
Quote

@Pyro:

I guess the protagonist love thing has been overdone, but you’re supposed to love to HATE the antagonist, not actually love them. For an example, Saren is my favorite character in Mass Effect 1 because I hate him so much. I hate how he’s better, smarter, and stronger than Shepard, and how he has some actually valid points. I hate how, and this is because of the brainwash, he can try to rationalize his actions, and I hate how he was once a good guy that fell from grace.

I love him because he’s so hate-able, if that makes sense. I love Garrus far more, because he’s not supposed to be hated at all.

So, I don’t really get the whole love (not love-to-hate, actual love) of the villains and antagonists in this fandom. I can sort of understand Discord because he’s funny as shit and he wasn’t meant to be too serious, save for turning the Mane Six against each other (which, I admit, kind of makes me hate him a bit). I can let the love for Trixie and Gilda sort of slide, since they are somewhat redeemable (can’t stand the double-standard that is Blueblood’s representation, though). But Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis are kind of different, in my eyes. They’re not funny like Discord, only slightly antagonistic like Trixie/Gilda, and they’re not sympathetic, really. Nightmare Moon tried to kill everypony because she is the embodiment of Luna’s jealousy and anger (she’s not Luna, as the Elements proved). Chrysalis tried to suck the love from everypony and destroy Equestria.

So, Jackal, I wouldn’t come close to calling either of them easy to relate to, and they have far from desirable traits (unless you’re psychotic). A murderous god that’s trying to commit mass-genocide because somebody else got more attention? Sorry, but I’ll pass.

Now, before I rant, I’ll mention that I’m not trying to hate, here, I’m just saying that I find it difficult to see how the villains are relatable or likable. They’re also far from the deepest or most developed characters in the show, so I don’t see how people can come to conclusions, really.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:00PM EDT
Quote

@lasers
Thanks for the info
Just curious, cus i know im a newb, might as well get this over with…
ahem…
How do i bold, post an image, and post a video?
@Popperfett
Thanks and- wait im a bitch now? :O

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:26PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:22PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

@trixie
Honestly, I dont think she is bad. She goes to a town to put on a show, she gets a couple hecklers, a couple of idiot kids get an Ursa minor pissed and her trailer gets destroyed. Yeah, she’s arrogant, but shit, she’s putting on a show. If you don’t like it, leave. Snips and snails parents should pay for the trailer.

@ villains discussion
Besides discord, I don’t really care for any of the villains. They strike me as kinda flat characters. Not much to them besides " I am evil Muhahahahaha!". But mabye it is precisely the reason people love them so much. You can visualize them any way you want because the show doesnt really give you much to go on.

Indeed, poking fun at the volunteers is part of being a magician as described here:




(Penn would also be a bad-ass villain voice, but I digress)

Trixie went too far by outright insulting her audience. Also, while lying about one’s own abilities is par the course for stage magicians, there is a difference between the folks Like Penn & Teller who outright admit that they are magicians using tricks and people who will look you in the eye and say they actually have psychic powers. The lies about the Ursa Major is a parallel to IRL people who lie about being able to talk to the dead or claim to use hypnosis to cure illnesses.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:24PM EDT
Quote

@Megalozors
- Bold is done by placing asterisks ( * ) around your phrase. Place the first asterisk before the phrase/word, and place the next one after the segment you want bolded.

-Images on this site and others have the option for embeding. Look for the one for blog posts/HTML. Copy paste the info and the image should appear.

-Similar for videos. YouTube supports embedding, which you have to go to “Share”, then “Embed”. Copy the code and paste.
Now for autoplay, you need to use the old code (this is the way I do it), and place autoplay=1 after every web adress (there should be two) in the code, within the " " ’s.

Oh, and yeah about the bitch. Lasers even wrote a fanfic about us that had RandomMan slap us and call nearly everyone a bitch (in short, he’s our local king of swag).

And I might as well tell you about how to cross out – just put two " – "s at the ends of the phrase/word you want to cross out.

EDIT-

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:41PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:28PM EDT
Quote

@Windigo:

Exactly. Magicians are supposed to screw with their audience and joke around with them. It’s a profession of entertainment, and one way to entertain people is screw around. However, if your audience stops enjoying it and starts getting annoyed by it, you’re doing it wrong. Not only is your audience pissed off at you, they’re less likely to buy tickets. Supposedly banishing an Ursa Major does little good when nobody wants to hear about it because you’re a bitch.

Edit: Adding onto Popper, you can embed images by placing an ! on each end of the image URL, which you can get by either opening an image in a new tab or selecting it with right-click and choosing ‘Copy Image URL’.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:32PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:29PM EDT
Quote

Alright, lemme try this…

See more on Know Your Meme

Me…. What have I done?!
@Popperfett
YOU’VE CREATED A MONSTER

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:39PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:35PM EDT
Quote

Takashi.0 wrote:

>Mfw

that’s pretty badass XD

By the way, has anyone else seen the latest episode of ‘Atop the Fourth Wall’?

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:38PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

@Appeal of villains and Trixie

Once again, I have arrived too late to the argument, so I’ll just weigh in my opinions. I agree with Explosives that it’s just because they’re female. The villains lack any sort of development or vast array of characteristic traits other than what the fandom has given it. Chyrsalis does have the kick-ass song (which helps for me), but everything about her says, “pure evil”. Hell, the only thing she talked about was her desire to suck power from every inhabitant of Equestria.

Discord is a male antagonist that has quite a following, but I think that’s just because of his similarities to Sheogorath, voicing by John DeLancie, and the fact that he was one of the season opening/finale villains, which always tend to be liked.

A little like Trixie’s sly, cunning attitude

I’m sorry, but after watching “Boast Busters”, I could find nothing sly or cunning about Trixie’s attitude. She was designed specifically to be a boastful, arrogant, unlikable person, but that doesn’t stop the fandom from adoring her.


So much unfair love for Trixie simply because Seth feels the need to mention his love for her constantly. It really ruins the character for me instead of helping me like her.

I actually read somewhere on Eq D that Seth prefers Twilight over Trixie and that his adoration of her is just a joke that he goes with. It was in an “about” page, but they removed it and replaced it with a different page.


Some of you might remember a while back some adult CMC pixel art I posted. The artist finally made one for Scootaloo.

I was checking his deviantart page for over two weeks just waiting for this.


Derpibooru moved their servers recently, so it’s been a heck of a lot faster. I already like it a lot more than Ponibooru. I never really understood why so many people liked it so much.

Jun 20, 2012 at 01:47PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:


STOP MAKING ME POST HERE SO FREQUENTLY.

Note: The Aperture Science Enrichment Center strongly advises that, if in the situation of frequentious posting, pleases lie down and apply immediate pressure to your temples. If not done correctly, you may post for the rest of your life. Not our problem.

EDIT: Im having too much not enough fun with this.
EDIT 2: Derpy’s my favorite pony, just think you should all know that :D

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 01:57PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
Quote

Now back to the evil thing:

To simplify, I’ll use the old maxim:

“Evil is Sexy”

It is common place in literature and cinema to have a female antagonist (should their be one) appear to be seductive or have features of beauty, as such, enhancing her role as the villain. This may root back to older days, when a seductive woman was a sign of evil: a femme fatale (that is, a seductive female that uses her looks and charm for deceit and personal gain). Though thought of as evil and undesirable beforehand, modern society takes this and instead finds it attractive.

I’d refer to Baroness from the GI-Joe Franchise.

Though clearly an evil woman with evil intentions, she is a seductive looking figure wearing a bodysuit that enhances her figure. She is portrayed to be a femme fatale with a ruthless nature. After all, she’s a lieutenant in the world’s most dangerous terrorist organization.

For Chrysalis, the singing voice (as has been mentioned) is a very important factor amongst most fans. Just as well, she is definitely a femme fatale and a definite seductress. My personal interest in her is all the things Pyro mentioned: she’s got a evil bad-girl-like thing going on, that makes her very appealing. She’s bad in all the right ways…
(ahem)
She’s very pretty, and everything about her is what I like.

As for Nightmare Moon, you can also factor in sympathy. That’s right: sympathy. She’s a princess that wanted more attention, but got banished as a result. You can start to feel a little sympathetic even though you aren’t meant to. In short, she’s a tragic villain, who went from good to evil due to a bad event in her past. Also, as Pyro pointed out, she’s got great design.

So, you can see that an Evil Female is supposed to be a seducing character, so one should not be too surprised that female villains are the more liked.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 02:14PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 02:00PM EDT
Quote

@Mufins
I know they lack a bunch of traits. Most of how we see them comes from what traits we’ve given them. But fanon aside, I still love Moon a lot. I like her personality. She’s a dark, gorgeous, driven personality with excellent work ethic. She may not be all that fleshed-out, but I guess all the ones they showed her to have I liked. Overall, from what we’ve seen of her, she’s a powerful and motivated female. I peronally don’t give a damn if all that motivation was towards genocide. She’s still really appealing with all that.
That, and the fact that she did her own dirty work and didn’t use others helps. I dislike the trait of using others as pawns, hence why I like Moon over Chrysalis. I like both of them, but Moon is overall a better character.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:06PM EDT
Quote

I think in terms of villainry. Discord beats all. I mean, the villain is the antagonist who is against the protagonist, the antagonist hates what the protagonist likes/ lives for, and tries to ruin it for them. Now the show is based on friendship, the mane 6 being the protagonists who live for friendship. Lets look at some antagonists-
Nightmare Moon- GOAL: Make it night forever, never lower the moon
she wasn’t really trying to destroy the friendship of the mane 6 (which at that time they barely knew eachother in the first place)

Queen Chrysalis- Goal: Take over Equestria (i think), destroy the love of shining armor and Princess Cadence. She wasnt trying to destroy the friendship between the mane 6 was she?

Now for discord- Goal: Obliterate the harmony of equestria and create another age of chaos. In doing so, he saw that the mane 6 posed a threat to him with the elements of harmony, so he began to trick each of them to not trusting one another. He is the most villainous of all the villains.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:14PM EDT
Quote


Look at 0:37

Our plan of complete global saturation is nearing its completion…….

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:16PM EDT
Quote

@Aperture Science, Inc.
Oh **** they found out
BLACK MESA! CALLING BLACK MESA!
Get us out of here!


See more on Know Your Meme

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 02:21PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 02:17PM EDT
Quote

@Connor
Cool :D
Can you put me on there? :P
Note: I dont know why, but i like placing emoticons everywhere

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:44PM EDT
Quote

@Megalolzors
I’m not in there either, neither is Windigo, Joe Amethyst, or some of the other common posters. I assume Connor only puts the ones who were here in Pony General the longest (that is to say, from the earlier Pony Generals), as I and the others I mentioned only joined on this Pony General.
But if Connor could add some of us, that would be good. Note though he has a thorough explanation for each poster. He’s going to need a bit more info from all of us.

Jun 20, 2012 at 02:48PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!