Forums / Discussion / General

168,615 total conversations in 5,402 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

Dammit Connor, you beat me. Anyways, listen to this as you read it.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:06PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:

@Megalolzors
I’m not in there either, neither is Windigo, Joe Amethyst, or some of the other common posters. I assume Connor only puts the ones who were here in Pony General the longest (that is to say, from the earlier Pony Generals), as I and the others I mentioned only joined on this Pony General.
But if Connor could add some of us, that would be good. Note though he has a thorough explanation for each poster. He’s going to need a bit more info from all of us.

I generally like to wait awhile until I put someone on the list. I just haven’t been maintaining it that well recently.
If you want to be added to the list send me a PM containing the following information: your name, your thread occupation, you likes, your dislikes, you favourite pony, your favourite episode, since when you have been a brony, and any other relevant information about you.
Theres already a few people I have to add but forgot about, just send it in and I’ll add you… eventually.

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:03PM EDT

@Conner
Not only am I not on any lists, I’m not even mentioned in the list of people who aren’t on the list…

Oh well!

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:34PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:21PM EDT

@DeadParrot222
I see scootaloo a chicken is your favorite pony….
Can you guess mine?

See more on Know Your Meme

Go ahead… GUESS!!!

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:28PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:26PM EDT

@Megalolzors
“Hmmm…”

“Oh! Is it Rainbow Dash? It is, isn’t it? I mean, how could it not be? She’s the most awesome pony ever!”

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:33PM EDT

@pyro and popperfet
If you don’t mind me asking, why chrysalis and moon? You guys said you like powerful and determined women and femme fatales. Why them and not the various other characters in entertainment that are more fleshed out and well, human? I’m just curious.

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:34PM EDT

@DeadParrot222
“Uuuuuuuh…. no…… lemme give you a hint…. I electricuted rainbow dash on accident.
I dont know what went wrong though D:”

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:38PM EDT

“…Pinkie Pie?”

“Or maybe that weirdo Trixie?”

“Rainbow Dash gets shocked a lot…”

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT

“Really? Wow! Nice work, Rainbow Dash! Now its my turn :D But no, keep guessing!”

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:46PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:45PM EDT

“Ohhhhh! You mean Derpy! I remember her! I’ve run into her once or twice… literally…”

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:47PM EDT

“That’s right! You win a muffin :D!”

“ooops… sorry scootaloo…. i ate it, oh well!”

“OH! I do have some mail for you though!”

Printed on the outside of the letter says “TAXES

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:52PM EDT

“Oh yeah! I remember you, Scootaloo! I told you about how i got my cutie mark!”

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 03:56PM EDT

Dac wrote:

@pyro and popperfet
If you don’t mind me asking, why chrysalis and moon? You guys said you like powerful and determined women and femme fatales. Why them and not the various other characters in entertainment that are more fleshed out and well, human? I’m just curious.

I could go into a rant about how humans aren’t very appealing because of reasons, but I won’t clog the thread with discussion about how humans are horrible vs how awesome we are.
Something about her appeals to me more than the others. She’s just…attractive to me. Who wouldn’t want to have her? She’s beautiful, she’s got a great personality, and she has her faults. I’m not sure why exactly I do, but I can see a few things that would make her attractive.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:03PM EDT

@Popper:

The thing is, Chrysalis was not meant to be seductive. She was meant to be a shape-shifter, lulling people into a false sense of security using magic and deception, not seduction. Compared to ponies she is, no offense, fucking hideous. Twisted horns, fangs, holes, torn up wings, ratty hair, and monster eyes. She’s supposed to be a monster in her normal form, and doesn’t employ seduction as a tool.

She’s a femme fatale in the sense that she’s a woman that’s harmful and evil, but she is not seductive.

As for the sympathy to Nightmare Moon, it doesn’t work that way. You can be sympathetic to Luna easily, but not Nightmare Moon. And there is a major difference. Moon is the embodiment of jealousy and anger in Luna, given manifest. She wasn’t banished because she wanted attention, she was banished because she nearly destroyed the world to steal attention for herself.

@Pyro:

I could argue that, technically, Chrysalis showed a little bit more character than NMM in the show. And that’s saying something, as they both showed far less than many other characters, in my opinion.

@badsitrep:

It’s been confirmed that Michael (the rage quite guy) is a brony for a long-ass time. When the Burny persona with the Fluttershy head comes in, you can hear Michael saying ‘Fucking asshole!’ in the background.

@Megalolzors:

You can also put images in your posts using an exclamation mark an each end of the URL, which you can get by opening it in a new tab or right-clicking the image and selecting Copy Image URL. It stops the ‘See More on KnowYourMeme’ thing.

Also, I would hold back on the frequency of the images. The earlier PG threads had a lot of image spam, and it irked a lot of users the wrong way. Furthermore, it doesn’t add much to the discussion.

@Connor and Zar:

Even listening to A River Flows In You, that didn’t make me cry. I blame my +60 Feel Resistance, really. It was sad, sure, but it had a bittersweet ending, and went by pretty fast.

@Derpy and Scoots:

Haha, that’s really funny, you two.

But, no, seriously, who’s best pony again?

@Pyro:

>2012
>Calling humans horrible
>Fawning over the villains in MLP
>Aforementioned villains are more horrible than many terrorist organizations
>MFW:

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 04:10PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 04:09PM EDT

@Lasers
“You dont accept us as best ponies? THEN TASTE MY MUFFINS, CELESTIA!!!

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 04:24PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 04:18PM EDT

@Derpy
“Uh, Derpy… I don’t think I have to pay taxes yet… Plus, you still owe me after that ‘flying lesson’ you promised!”

@Celestia
“Oh, hi, Princess! Yeah, you’re pretty awesome, too! Thanks for the other day!”

@Lasers
The problem here is that you are attempting to apply logic to an inherently illogical and subjective thing like attraction, especially when it’s about a fictional character.
I like Chrysalis as well (though not to Pyro’s Popper’s level, whoops), but I don’t think that any attempt to describe why would be convincing to anyone who doesn’t like her.
Hell, I agree with all of your points so I’m not sure I could convince myself of why I like her.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 04:44PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 04:20PM EDT
A soul-sucking doublecrosser that wants to infiltrate a group so she can spread anger and cruelty in them, and feed off the feelings of friendship they once had for each other can be related to?
First, I’d like to introduce you to somebody:

lespy.jpg

Second, I’d like to ask what the fuck?

I don’t know what’s funnier. The fact that you didn’t realize that post was meant to be taken as a joke, or the irony of the fact that it wasn’t 100% sarcasm.

Yes, she is relatable, but I chose to list her negative qualities rather than positive ones as a joke. Power hungry=ambitious, and as Popper Fett has repeatedly stated already, ambition is a highly desirable trait. Arrogance=self-confidence, and self-confidence is also desirable. Characters such as Blueblood who have confidence but lack ambition, are dreadfully dull in my eyes. At least The Great and Powerful Trixie actually strives to achieve high levels of magical power. This being said, you don’t have to be psychotic to relate to them. You simply have to understand the dichotomy of human nature, and be able to see that your personal strengths can also be your personal weaknesses. Seeing my strengths as weaknesses actually helps me keep my ambitions and ego in check.

As for deceptive and manipulative characters being enjoyable and relatable to me, that’s where things get complicated. I enjoy the study of psychology. Humans are INCREDIBLY complex beings, and we all think differently. In order to manipulate different types of people effectively, you have to know how each individual thinks. It actually takes a bit of smarts and charm to be a good liar. I admire the amount of work that has to be put into it, and, as horrible as this may sound, I think it is actually pretty fun to lie, just to see what falsities you can fool people into believing. HOWEVER, I understand my actions have repercussions, and only lie to joke around. I persuaded my brother the moon was a UFO once just to see if I could. I told a new coworker that I was legally required to inform them I am a sex-offender, but couldn’t stop from cracking up when they actually fell for it. I ONLY lie for the sake of a laugh. NEVER for personal gain, and NEVER to hurt someone. I understand that manipulating people is wrong, but I like to know that I could do it if the need had ever arisen, like in A Dog and Pony Show.

Lastly, I like characters for the negative qualities more than the positive qualities. It’s cool to see characters with too much ego, or too much ambition in cartoons because they don’t exist, and their actions have no repercussions. I can never be TOO egotistic or TOO ambitious, and can never really practice deception without hurting someone, and I like people and love my friends so I really don’t want to do that. Still, it’s really fun to see characters uninhibited by morals, knowing that their atrocities don’t actually hurt anyone.

Also, spy is my favorite class, and I use the Kunai almost exclusively because it’s so satisfying to beat an enemy with such a handicap, only to drain their health and take it for your own. >:)

Let’s say that that guy is the new season 3 Alicorn villain. He’s family of Celestia and Luna and returned to Canterlot for the sole purpose of taking back the throne, the one which he lost to Celestia.

While it COULD be pulled off well, he lacks something Chrysalis AND Discord had. Creativity. The Draconequis and changelings were interesting, fresh ideas. Alicorns, not so much. It worked with Nightmare Moon because it was just the pilot, and using an alicorn helped establish the initial world-building. Discord was a male protagonist, but he was interesting, too. I wouldn’t care for your character because he’s unimaginative.

Going back again to the sex of the pony in question. Now answer this honestly, but would you love Chrysalis just as much if she was male? (I meant just as in liking the character, not romantically)

Yes, yes, hell yes. I might like him less than Chrysalis perhaps, but the personality would intrigue me all the same. While gender might play into it, it would not affect my opinions on characters to any remotely significant degree. Female Blueblood would still be boring, and male Chrysalis would still be awesome.

Compared to ponies she is, no offense, fucking hideous. Twisted horns, fangs, holes, torn up wings, ratty hair, and monster eyes.

I DUNNO MAN, SOUDNS PRETY SEXY TO ME.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:22PM EDT

“Scoots, dont you remember that I gave you a hands-on flying lesson?”

@Jackal Lantern
=Compared to ponies she is, no offense, fucking hideous. Twisted horns, fangs, holes, torn up wings, ratty hair, and monster eyes.=

=I DUNNO MAN, SOUDNS PRETY SEXY TO ME.=

That, right there, was hilarious.

LOOK MAMA! I FOUND OUT HOW TO POST A VIDEO ALL BAH MAHSELF!!!

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 04:25PM EDT

@Lasers
>2012
>That my sister is best pony
>MFW

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:27PM EDT

“I think you and I have different definitions of the word ‘lesson’… and ‘flying’…”

(This was way too much fun, but we should probably cut this off here and get back to actual discussion now.)

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT

@Lasers
I never said I hated humans, I just said I don’t like humans all that much.
@Parrot
Popper is the one who likes Chrysalis, not me.
@Connor
I feel nothing. Absolutly nothing.
Now have some lulz

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT

@Lasers
I believe you said something about Morgan Freeman earlier.
Well…

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:49PM EDT

@Nightmare Moon:

Oh, don’t worry, on my listing it’s kind of like:

-Celestia
-Luna, Nightmare Moon, Discord, AJ, RD, Pinkie, Rarity, Twilight, Flutters, Spike, Big Mac, Cheerilee, Roseluck, Daisy, Lily, Carrot Top, Octavia, Derpy, Vinyl, The Doctor, Dinky, Pip, Applebloom, Granny Smith, Sweetie, Scoots, Steven Magnet, Flim and Flam, Cadence, Shining Armor, Braeburn, Caramel, Chesty Motherfucking McThunderbeard, Thunderlane, Screwball, Screwloose, Blossomforth, Flitter, Cloud Chaser, Cloud Kicker, Rumble, Big McLargehuge, Chief Thunderhooves, Little Strongheart, Iron Will, The Happy Changeling, and Heavy Weapons Guy
-
-
- Trixie, Gilda, Chrysalis, Blueblood, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon
-
-
-
-
-Thomas Nair

@Deadparrot:

Yeah, I’m trying to analyze why people like antagonists so much as a way to pass time. I know people like them for unknown reasons, but it can’t hurt to try and understand.

@Jackal:

Yeah, I assumed it was a joke, which is why my first response was a joke, and my second response was confusion.

I find it entertaining to lie sometimes, which I think is sort of the basis of light trolling. ‘Hey, what do you use the pocket lint and shit to craft?’ ‘Unusuals!’ But, there’s a difference between ambition and trying to undermine and conquer a peaceful nation. There’s also a difference between arrogance and confidence. Confidence is a trait of a leader and a role model. Arrogance is the trait of somebody who thinks they’re better than others. Chrysalis is the latter, for sure, and might be the former, arguably.

As for the point about cartoon characters and all that on the last paragraph in response to me:

The characters in cartoons usually do have repercussions on their actions, but they’re usually lighter than in real life. For example, Trixie’s ego wound up biting her in the ass, is did Chrysalis’s, and Flim and Flam’s, and Discord’s… Gilda’s anger came back to blow up in her face negatively, as another example. So, I wouldn’t say the repercussions are totally nonexistent, but they apply to, like you said, something nonexistent.

I could also say it is possible to harm people with media, but it’s a moot point. The repercussions on villains are more likely to help people by teaching lessons.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:52PM EDT

Sandstone wrote:

I could go into a rant about how humans aren’t very appealing because of reasons, but I won’t clog the thread with discussion about how humans are horrible vs how awesome we are.
Something about her appeals to me more than the others. She’s just…attractive to me. Who wouldn’t want to have her? She’s beautiful, she’s got a great personality, and she has her faults. I’m not sure why exactly I do, but I can see a few things that would make her attractive.

Are we talking about Luna or nightmare moon? Moon has no redeeming qualities really. I guess she is determined, but so was Stalin and hitler. Luna on the other hand I guess is ok even though she has insecurities and anger issues. Anyways, I have to be perfectly honest and say that none of the characters in the show seem attractive to me in personality nor in looks. I wouldn’t want to have her. Also, I would rephrase " how humans aren’t very appealing" to " How I don’t find humans appealing" because humans are attractive. Anyways, thanks for the answer, it’s really interesting to see how different people in the fandom are.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT

Morgan freeman did a fantastic job as applejack before, not sure if he fits the role of Twilight.

Jun 20, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT

@Lasers
>2012
>Implying that he cant shiggy diggidy
>Seems legit

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:03PM EDT

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@Dac:

>2012
>Implying you don’t fuck horses
>I shiggy diggidy doo da day

I won’t just imply it, I’ll say it. I don’t fuck horses. I fuck bitches!

Seriously though, I’m just attracted to Women, no ponies for me. They just have nothing that I find attractive. I find brad Pitt more attractive then twilight.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 05:07PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 05:05PM EDT

I’ve been posting for the past 5 hours….
Is it because i havent been posting on ANY forums in months?
Please… someone…. HELP.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 05:13PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 05:12PM EDT

@Lasers
Oh, yeah!
I wasn’t trying to imply that you should stop asking, just that you’ll likely never reach a point where you completely understand.
Psychology is weird that way: always interesting, never definitive.

By the way, not to call you out because this is apparently a massively widespread thing, but you just hit me with my latest little pet peeve.
Grammar Nazi mode activated:
Over the past few weeks, I’ve begun noticing the phrase ‘try and X’ being used all over the place.
It’s ‘try to’ not ‘try and’!
‘And’ implies two separate actions being performed.
eg: ‘Try and understand’ = You tried something and you understood something.
‘Try to understand’ says that you are making an attempt to perform a single action of understanding.
I don’t know exactly why, but I’ve just been noticing this everywhere, even in more professional spheres (The submission guidelines for the Steam Workshop on TF2 is littered with them!) and I needed to get it off my chest.

Back to ponies!

@Megalolzors

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:16PM EDT

Megalolzors wrote:

I’ve been posting for the past 5 hours….
Is it because i havent been posting on ANY forums in months?
Please… someone…. HELP.

Don’t worry, it’s just a condition known as Newfag Syndrome. You’ll grow out of it eventually, it just takes time.

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT

@DeadParrot222
YOUVE ONLY INCREASED MY HUNGER FOR POSTING
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

and thanks connor, is there any medications?

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 05:26PM EDT

There are some medications that could help, but there’s only one nurse available at the moment.
Do you really wan to risk it?

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:35PM EDT

@DeadParrot222

1) That just cured me and about 70 other newfags within a 10000 mile proximity

2) Is that a TF2 Medic symbol on the side of Derpy’s shirt I see? :3

Jun 20, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

Dac wrote:

@pyro and popperfet

I mentioned Baroness earlier because she’s also quite the pretty one.
As for humans, well, Chrysalis looks as good (if not better) humanized:

As for why I like Chrysalis in general, there’s something about her. She’s quite…beautiful, to say the least. I guess it’s my preference; she seems fine for me. I think she’s gorgeous, but not everybody does.

Oh and Pyro & Nightmare, be sure to thank TARINUnit for this:

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 06:22PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

@Dac
What if Twilight Sparkle had Brad Pit’s head?

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT

Oof, right in the inbox. You guys are so talky today.

I honestly don’t think I have time to read everything you guys have already said about the Blueblood/Trixie/Chrysalis rant, but I think I got the general gist of it. I’m actually in the camp of people who doesn’t really like Trixie, Blueblood, Gilda, or even Dash, all basically for the same reason. I’m just not a big fan of hubris.

As for Chrysalis, I like her as a villain, much the same as people who just “love to hate” Disney antagonists. Discord is just evil for the fun of it, whereas Chrysalis not only makes villainy look enjoyable, she actually has a reason for it, namely, the survival and propagation of her swarm. And Nightmare Moon may have been pretty “bad”, but her motivation was actually a bit murky. It seemed as though she didn’t want to destroy Equestria so much as remake it in her image; that’s pretty tyrranical, but I’d venture to say it also makes her the least sane of the antagonist lot. If you think about it, she only became NMM because of emotional instability, and didn’t seem to realize that her plan would essentially kill everything. Chrysalis is not insane, she’s ambitious and cruel. When it comes to traits in enemies, I kind of like that. If the show’s creators wanted to, they could even make her a recurring nuisance if they wanted. So in my reckoning, there are plenty of reasons the changeling Queen is popular, it’s not all about gender and stuff.

Oh, and hi there Megalolzors. I heard you like Derpy.

Last edited Jun 20, 2012 at 06:26PM EDT
Jun 20, 2012 at 06:22PM EDT

@Millenial Dan
You heard correctly :D

And I went 1 hour without posting!
Thanks DeadParrot for bringing me to Nurse Derpy :D

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT

Megalolzors wrote:

@Millenial Dan
You heard correctly :D

And I went 1 hour without posting!
Thanks DeadParrot for bringing me to Nurse Derpy :D

Welcome to the thread, but please try not to post so much with no content.

Jun 20, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!