Forums / Discussion / General

168,619 total conversations in 5,402 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

CUTIE MARK CRUSADER FIFTHS EXPLODERS!


(Finally figured out how to post those things! Yay!)

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT
Quote

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

>don’t we outnumber the target demographic like 10 to 1?
>lolwut
Do actually think we outnumber the target audience 10 to 1? Because that’s just silly. I’d be surprised if there were more than two million bronies in the world.

No, the largest and primary audience for Hasbro with MLP is and has always been girls from ages 6-10 (or something like that). That’s where all the profit comes from. Bronies are just the vocal minority. The very vocal minority. What we lack in size we make up in sheer presence on the entirety of the interwebz.

Bronies do greatly affect the success and exposure of the show, and it really wouldn’t be more than just another children’s show (albeit an excellent one) without us. In the end though, Hasbro is still entirely focused on their original demographic.


Anyways, 2 pages left to go!

I really don’t like any of the suggested thread names so far. Like, “Electric Scootaloo” was genius. Who wrote that anyway? We should do another punny title.

Yeah, I have nothing to contribute.


Octavia and Doctor Whooves Time Turner are confirmed? This calls for some dancing!

(why is there no fanart of them together at all)

Finally someone I can side with. You are right about bronies being a very vocal minority, and that’s what confuses people. They see a lot of stuff on the Internet and then think bronies outnumber the intended demographic and generate millions in sales. Sure, they have been doing some service to bronies, but everything they have done can easily be enjoyed by the intended demographic as well. Vinyl scratch may have been made popular by bronies, but do you really think they are making the doll just for us? I’m positive the intended demographic will buy it more than bronies will, and that’s why the agreed to make it. They haven’t made a discord toy yet because they know that hardly any little girls will buy that, and the brony fandom isn’t lucrative enough. Welovefine are the only people making brony merch, but they aren’t affiliated with hasbro and just have permission to make merchandise. Even they aren’t making that big of an investment, they don’t have warehouses full of brony merchandise, no, they print your shirt when you order so they don’t get stuck with unsold merchandise, and in my experience, they only do that for the mlp shirts. My star wars shirt was actually dyed while the mlp shirts have decals printed on them.
As for the nods to the fandom, the derpy scene was for us no doubt, but this isn’t a high budget film like the avengers. That scene didn’t cost millions to make. Flash is really cheap and easy to use, it wasn’t that big an investment, and again, the intended demographic wasn’t alienated by the scene. Honestly, Hasbro hasn’t invested much money in bronies. Even the derpy doll isn’t that big. They use the same molds with only slight variation in color and the eyes. Plus it’s only for a limited time because they aren’t ready to drop a significant amount of money on bronies.
Does that mean bronies don’t matter? No, they have helped make the show very well known across more adult media( news, Colbert show, etc.) plus they generate some revenue, but bronies aren’t the juggernaut that many of you guys think they are.

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:03AM EDT
Quote

Once again, I’m guessing that Doctor Whooves will be known as Time Turner because of lack of copyright permission.

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:19AM EDT
Quote

@Chowz

Yes that is correct. Other franchises are off limits. Time Turner is a nice name, we’ll just pretend that’s the doctors alias


@Dac

Well said, I was thinking the same thing


@The name issue

Lots of people seem to want another name, but nobody has any idea what else to call it.

I’m going to throw this one out on more time because I liked it: Statistically less likely to get shot here than JFF.

I think it was opspe who suggested it, I cannot quite remember. Anyway, last chance to change your minds as we only have one page left

As far as punny names go, I’m trying to think of movie/book series that lasted 6 sequels then making a pun out of the 6th title. EG: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to Harry Trotter and the Half-Blood Pinkie. Something like that but I need to know how many 6th sequels there are out there

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 02:27AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 02:25AM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

Finally someone I can side with. You are right about bronies being a very vocal minority, and that’s what confuses people. They see a lot of stuff on the Internet and then think bronies outnumber the intended demographic and generate millions in sales. Sure, they have been doing some service to bronies, but everything they have done can easily be enjoyed by the intended demographic as well. Vinyl scratch may have been made popular by bronies, but do you really think they are making the doll just for us? I’m positive the intended demographic will buy it more than bronies will, and that’s why the agreed to make it. They haven’t made a discord toy yet because they know that hardly any little girls will buy that, and the brony fandom isn’t lucrative enough. Welovefine are the only people making brony merch, but they aren’t affiliated with hasbro and just have permission to make merchandise. Even they aren’t making that big of an investment, they don’t have warehouses full of brony merchandise, no, they print your shirt when you order so they don’t get stuck with unsold merchandise, and in my experience, they only do that for the mlp shirts. My star wars shirt was actually dyed while the mlp shirts have decals printed on them.
As for the nods to the fandom, the derpy scene was for us no doubt, but this isn’t a high budget film like the avengers. That scene didn’t cost millions to make. Flash is really cheap and easy to use, it wasn’t that big an investment, and again, the intended demographic wasn’t alienated by the scene. Honestly, Hasbro hasn’t invested much money in bronies. Even the derpy doll isn’t that big. They use the same molds with only slight variation in color and the eyes. Plus it’s only for a limited time because they aren’t ready to drop a significant amount of money on bronies.
Does that mean bronies don’t matter? No, they have helped make the show very well known across more adult media( news, Colbert show, etc.) plus they generate some revenue, but bronies aren’t the juggernaut that many of you guys think they are.

What’s this? Dac… agreeing with me on something?


@BSOD
Can’t you like, program something that can do that? The only one that I can think of besides Harry Potter is The Chronicles of Narnia, which is “The Silver Chair”. That idea seems way too hard.

All I really want is a title that is either punny or witty. Now come on, we have approximately 50 posts left to brainstorm.

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:39AM EDT
Quote

Don’t know whether to stay up all night to wait for the new thread

Or to go to bed now and wake up early to try to catch the new thread.

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:45AM EDT
Quote

@Dac
I would agree that Juggernaut is a bit of a strong word but the fandom is resilient, that can at least be acknowledged. Everything else which you said is reasonable.

@BSoD
You have got to look deeper, the question is not how many film series have 6 or more entries. The question is what title is the best for a pun.
Film series with six entries
Film series with seven entries
Feel free to search the film series with 8 or more entries. Maybe you can find a better pun laying within these pages.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 02:55AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 02:48AM EDT
Quote

@Twins


Can’t you like, program something that can do that?

Lets see..

$newtitle = "";
$title = $_GET[‘title’];
$titlewords = explode($title, " ");

foreach($titlewords as $word){
if($this->punexists($word)){
$newtitle = $newtitle.$this->createpun($word);
}
}

Now how do I make a function that’s able to compare a single word to a database of similar sounding puns? Hmmm…I’ll get back to you on that one

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:57AM EDT
Quote

Pony General Thread VI: Return of the Pony.
Pony General Thread VII: Twilight Sparkle and the Deathly Harmonies

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:06AM EDT
Quote

Erin the Pegasister wrote:

Don’t know whether to stay up all night to wait for the new thread

Or to go to bed now and wake up early to try to catch the new thread.

>Implying we’ll reach 200 pages at this rate


Also, saw Star Wars there.
>Return of the Jedi
>Return of the Poni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_series_with_eight_entries
Apparently MLP has had 8 movies already. The Runaway Rainbow?

Yeah, everything is really obscure besides Star Wars and Harry Potter. This won’t work at all.

Screw this. Time for random ideas.
>We could reference Touhou. The sixth game in the series (and arguably the one that propelled it to internet memedom) is The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Seems workable.
>that feel when you realize how lazy game companies are at giving sequels proper titles

So Touhou (if someone can think of something) or Star Wars. Ugh.

EDIT: How about “Pony General VI: The Embodiment of screw this we’re going with Return of the Poni”?

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 03:36AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 03:12AM EDT
Quote

Sorry to steal one of the rapidly dwindling number of available posts here, but this truly made me laugh out loud.
The official text from the back of the back of the Mayor Mare/Time Turner card:

If anyone doubted his true identity, there you have it!
These consultants that they brought in to design these cards are awesome!
For those who don’t get the reference:

I’ll say that my vote still stands for Return of the Poni, but obviously a thread title is pretty minor so long as the conversations stay interesting.
Whatever ends up being decided,

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:17AM EDT
Quote

@Puns

Personally, I’m more partial to the Return of the Poni because Star Wars, but think! This is a golden opportunity to earn hipster cred and make inside jokes! Think, mentlegen!

I have no suggestions. This is all.

@Connor

Just a thought: I feel like we should put those KYMPG bios you made somewhere on the front page, somewhere that a new member might actually see them. They don’t really accomplish anything if new members don’t see them. And I say this as though I’m not still “meh” on my noobish status.

@Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff

It has been Sunday for twenty minutes and that’s going to be the best thing I see all week, assuming you’re the type of person who says weeks should start on Sundays.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 03:23AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 03:20AM EDT
Quote

Ok I made some suggestions:
Inheritors of the Will of Iron
The Return of Cooler (I kinda want to make a 20% cooler pun but I cant think of one)
Her Majesty’s Secret Service (Implying Celestia as her majesty)
Aside from that there is not that much left for movie puns.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 03:30AM EDT
Quote

Cuttin’ it kinda close guys.

Also: Dr. Whooves reference FTW!

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT
Quote

@Tim
Well, 120% of five is six, so what about ‘20% Cooler Than The Last One!’
Hooray for math jokes!

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:37AM EDT
Quote

>Waiting for new thread.

I seriously need to post more later. I have been rather neglecting the thread for a while now and no matter how many times I come back, I just don’t know what to say in the discussions(of course we’re discussing about ponies). Maybe I’ll try to be more active in the new thread, establish something, or make myself better known here at least.

Jul 01, 2012 at 04:04AM EDT
Quote

This situation is starting to get desperate, not even Cleverbot is willing to help us out of this jam

C’mon people, names! If you don’t like “Return of the Pony” then for the love of Lyra, think of something!

Jul 01, 2012 at 05:02AM EDT
Quote

Not that I want to extend this conversation forever, but all this speculative talk has finally caused me to try and find out more about Hasbro’s official stance toward older pony fans, as well as more recent sales figures and such. Much of it is more or less what I already thought, though I’m still attempting to research relevant articles.

Here are a couple of interesting quotes I found:

Wall Street Journal:

Sales of “My Little Pony” merchandise are growing, says Hasbro, which declined to provide figures or comment on who, exactly, is buying the stuff.

Wikipedia:

Hasbro and the Hub have also sought to market to bronies. Linda Steiner, senior vice president of Hasbro Studios, noted that while she hoped that the show would attract a “broader audience”, she had “been in the business for 25 years and never seen anything like this”. . .

. . . Though Hasbro’s priority is to deliver a child-friendly show, they will try to “do the ‘bronie’ [sic] check to see if [an episode] could pass with them”, according to Steiner. Loesch noted that they have kept their nods to the fandom to subtle hints, as “we want to nourish this phenomenon, not manipulate it”.

. . . Hasbro has not taken a stance against these videos and has allowed them to be hosted at various outlets, recognizing that the parodies and remixes form a “participatory culture” that has helped to draw larger attention to the show.

Yes, there’s a lot more in context, but those statements are interesting nonetheless.

Wikipedia’s brony article also rightfully mentions this and this, the rather famous billboards that appeared to be intended as a joke for older fans. Some other advertising media have also followed this trend.

I have always maintained (and still maintain) that bronies’ primary influence is their advertising of the show. In many ways, Hasbro reps seem to agree. Yes, we are still considered a smallish audience to them, but not an insignificant one. I’ve never used the term “juggernaut”, and many times have I acknowledged MLP’s pre-existing fame. Nevertheless, my belief remains strong that bronies are having a complex and varied influence on various aspects of the brand (the official naming of Octavia certainly came at an appropriate time). The extent of that influence and the reasoning behind it obviously continue to be rather vigorously contested, at least around here.

I think I’ll continue to research the matter for more hard proof one way or the other, particularly sales, and see what I can find. This is something that has come up several times, and for some reason I get the feeling that the subject is generating an emotional response. Best to discover the truth, rather than carry on endless speculation.

Perhaps I’ll revisit this later when I have more data, but for now, I think it’s about time we got back to fun stuff.


@Thread Name

>Pop-cultural reference.
>Relating to the sixth entry of something.
>Should be ponified, unlike the JFF one.

KYM Pony General Episode VI: Return of The Poni

These random suggestions are getting us nowhere. Unless someone has something new that’s completely brilliant and blows us all away, I think we should consider the general consensus and the need to not have a name that will annoy people. Some may consider the above title slightly generic, but it does the job just fine.



I guess that’s it for now. Good-night, here’s hoping I don’t miss the thread lock (probably will).

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 07:14AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 07:05AM EDT
Quote

@dan
Im guessing you’re the one that downvoted my post. Whatever,You forget I am not just addressing you. And about Octavia, how much money do you think they invested in naming her that, hmmm? That’s my point. The advertising, you think that hasnt been done before? You talk about speculation, well that’s what we are both doing, except I am looking at the investments they have made to appeal to bronies while you look at adult references in the show and their advertising and what they have said to make up your mind . You can look at things they have said, but all you need to do is look at what they have done, how it targets bronies, and if it can be enjoyed by the younger audience to see what’s going on. Actions speak louder than words. The billboards, they were not made specifically for bronies. Adult references are things they have always done in cartoons and advertising, bronies are not the reason hasbro did that. That wouldn’t make much sense considering that the vast, vast majority of people who see it wouldn’t be bronies, but they might have little kids and see that clever referance. Later on, the parent my suggest to his/her little kid that she/he watch MLP. That billboard was not so bronies could be like " look hasbro loves us! And they dropped big bucks to advertise in very lucrative addvertising location in LA to show us!"
I understand what you are saying, they may have done a couple things for bronies. I won’t deny that. But you have to understand my points as well.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 10:06AM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 09:50AM EDT
Quote

@Dac

I have a feeling it was not Dan that downvoted you. He doesn’t sound offended or in major rebuttal against you. He’s just trying to point out some facts and speculate on their meaning.

If he did downvote you, I really don’t know why.

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:59AM EDT
Quote

It’s been over two weeks since I’ve joined this forum and I’m really excited for the new forum. I just wanted to say, I love you guys.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:40AM EDT
Quote

@Stargazer: Pyro must have been trying to blow bubbles again.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:59AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Dac

I have a feeling it was not Dan that downvoted you. He doesn’t sound offended or in major rebuttal against you. He’s just trying to point out some facts and speculate on their meaning.

If he did downvote you, I really don’t know why.

Yeah, I probably jumped the gun blaming him. Still i can’t write him off. He is still my main suspect. I’m working with th FBI to get to the bottom of this.

Jul 01, 2012 at 12:10PM EDT
Quote

@Dac @ Dan
Let me say this: We’re not that significant, but we are pretty significant. That’s all ya guys need to know, alright.

Also, are people okay? What’s up with the fire situation?

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 12:33PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 12:32PM EDT
Quote

aerolyt wrote:

BroNYCon was on fire?

What?

This is why bronies shouldn’t be allowed to group together. When they do, the sheer concentration of awesomeness may become hazardous. In this case, the convention building couldn’t handle the vast amounts of swag being emitted from the crowd, and began spontaneously combusting. Thank God they all got out in time… if they’d stayed in that room any longer it might have gone nuclear.

(To all those worrying, nobody was hurt in this incident, unless you count Sethisto’s jimmies)

Jul 01, 2012 at 12:43PM EDT
Quote

@Parrot’s recent aquisition
Bitch, please

Get on my level.

Jul 01, 2012 at 12:56PM EDT
Quote

That’s all we need, downvotes muddying up the issue. Here, I shall upvote the post in question myself, how about that! Honestly, I don’t get offended that easily.


@Fire

Eh wot? What happened?

Edit: Oh, so apparently it was just a light bulb that caught fire for some reason. Sounds like it was fairly minor.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 01:12PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 01:09PM EDT
Quote

Ok, so as the end is near. As soon as the thread reaches page 200 (which is at post 9951), I will request a lock after I posted a link to the new thread.

Just for your information, we’ll let a mod create the new thread. So please don’t jump the gun on it. The reason we do this is to avoid shitstorms as to you being the creator of another 200 page of pony is somewhat of a privelege. So by giving one person this above all the others can seem unfair. This way we just give it to a mod. Plus it shows the rest of the community that the moderators allow the new thread, as we made it. Various members tried making a new or second pony thread in the past, these all didn’t end well until a mod jumped in.

And going with the popular vote, I’ll name it Return of the Poni. Unless someone comes with something that everyone suddenly goes FUCK YEAH with. No worries, this isn’t biased. I would’ve gone with a different name if I had the choice.

The first page most commonly is just a spree of “PARTY”, so be prepared.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 02:19PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 02:18PM EDT
Quote

@Thread Name
At this point, I’d say we go with Return of the Poni since no one who has objected has been able to generate a suggestion that has gained more support.
I mean, you know… as long as that’s okay with you guys. I don’t want to impose…

@Fire
*giggle
Don’t be sad everypony! Fires can be fun!
All I really need’s a fire, fire, fire
Fill my hair up with embers, embers
All I really need’s a fire, fire, fire
Fire falling from the SKY!

@Pyro
Oh boy…
Have fun eating those words in a few days! ;)
(Look back a ways into this tread and you can probably find what I’m talking about.)

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:19PM EDT
Quote


>lolling in he park sharing bonbons with Golden Harvest, her PFF.
>sharing bonbons with Golden Harvest
>sharing bonbons

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 02:26PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 02:23PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Stargazer

Oh so Pyro did make it Bronycon after all?


Damn right I did.
@Parrot
I’ve seen the Scoots and RD plushies
Call me once you have a tiny overlord of the night

Jul 01, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT
Quote

Ladies and Gentlecolts…

I present you…

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 02:50PM EDT
Quote

Bruelock wrote:

Ladies and Gentlecolts…

I present you…

That video is 1 hour and 22 minutes long.

Good thing I have some snacks in the pantry.

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:04PM EDT
Quote

@Random

Go for it. I don’t think I’ll be around when the clock strikes VI, but I know that if people try to keep posting on the Pony General V, then they’ll lock it for being redundant.

We weren’t there for the fire, opspe and I. How sad…

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:13PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

@Random

Go for it. I don’t think I’ll be around when the clock strikes VI, but I know that if people try to keep posting on the Pony General V, then they’ll lock it for being redundant.

We weren’t there for the fire, opspe and I. How sad…

Olivia told me you guys present your survey in half an hour.

Is it recorded or livestreamed? Got links if so?

Edit: Never mind, Chris gave me this. I’m guessing you guys are “Studying the Herd”? I’ll just look for the piece of chocolate and use that to tell if it’s you.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 03:36PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 03:29PM EDT
Quote


I don’t got all day to sit here and wait.


Also,

Silly con-goer.
Spider-man derails don’t work in real life.


RandomMan wrote:

I’ll just look for the piece of chocolate and use that to tell if it’s you.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 03:49PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 03:35PM EDT
Quote

@Stargazer

But that’s a good thing. I love chocolate.


Currently the new thread is ready to go. Just photoshopping Lyra onto an emperor image macro and we’re done. I’ll launch it when we’re at page 200.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 04:06PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

@dan
Im guessing you’re the one that downvoted my post. Whatever,You forget I am not just addressing you. And about Octavia, how much money do you think they invested in naming her that, hmmm? That’s my point. The advertising, you think that hasnt been done before? You talk about speculation, well that’s what we are both doing, except I am looking at the investments they have made to appeal to bronies while you look at adult references in the show and their advertising and what they have said to make up your mind . You can look at things they have said, but all you need to do is look at what they have done, how it targets bronies, and if it can be enjoyed by the younger audience to see what’s going on. Actions speak louder than words. The billboards, they were not made specifically for bronies. Adult references are things they have always done in cartoons and advertising, bronies are not the reason hasbro did that. That wouldn’t make much sense considering that the vast, vast majority of people who see it wouldn’t be bronies, but they might have little kids and see that clever referance. Later on, the parent my suggest to his/her little kid that she/he watch MLP. That billboard was not so bronies could be like " look hasbro loves us! And they dropped big bucks to advertise in very lucrative addvertising location in LA to show us!"
I understand what you are saying, they may have done a couple things for bronies. I won’t deny that. But you have to understand my points as well.

My last post was pretty short as I was running out the door at the time, so I figured I’d give a proper response now.

How much did it cost to give Octavia, Scratch, Derpy, and Lyra their names? Dollar-wise, not much, but it does show that they’re paying attention. That’s all I’m saying.

As for the billboards, they do target an older crowd, and even though others have always done that sort of thing in their cartoons and such, I’d like to point out that in previous generations of MLP specifically, there was hardly any of that at all. That may be due to a number of factors, but it’s hard to say.

So yes, I’m more than willing to agree that their various nods are fairly low-risk and serve a dual purpose, and yes, the target demographic is still what is most important to them, but the thought of us is still there in some amount.

I think that’s about all I have for that.


Okay, I just had to post this, it made me chuckle dang it.


We’ve only got a few posts left for this page! Here’s one last thing:

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 04:10PM EDT
Quote

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

10 posts left to go!

So, what should the theme of the next thread be?

Ok so we have 5 options:
1. Try Hard, Twi Hard
2. Stay Out of My Shed
3. Return of the Poni
4. Inheritors of the Iron Will
5. We Have No Theme




I think most of us has have agreed that Return of the Poni will be the theme of the next thread.

Jul 01, 2012 at 04:15PM EDT
Quote

This pic is relevant to the end of this thread:

@ Brownmane, Dac, Thor

Thanks guys, I will try watching those shows.

I already watched Deadman Wonderland some time ago though.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 04:34PM EDT
Quote

Jul 01, 2012 at 04:39PM EDT

>tfw stealing the last post from a brony

>tfw randomman is slow as molasses and should be shot.

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
Jul 01, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!