Forums / Discussion / General

171,562 total conversations in 5,627 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

null wrote:

I just visited ThePonyHub again.

I don’t get it. ._.

The site is running. It must be configured before anyone can register.

The problem is that the developer is going out of town, and im getting super pissed off.

Im still working on it, so it will probably be open for registration in a few hours.

Mar 11, 2012 at 04:46PM EDT

opspe wrote:

Has anyone been following Ask Jappleack over the past few weeks? It’’s been really interesting.

I check that tumblr once every few hours to see if max put up anything new. And frankly this whole new story ark that just shifted from comedy to some type of serious drama grimdark shit. I hope jappleack gets over her sister soon…

Mar 11, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

I think Dac is ded.

There was too much Pinkie for him.

EDIT: GAGE PET

I’m not dead! I was just a little busy. But Im gonna be back tonight, discussions will be made. And they will be akward.

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Quote

Still Erin wrote:

This is now a Half-Life thread.

My Little Freeman, My Little Freeman
aaaahhhhaaaaahhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhh
(My Little Freeman)
I used to wonder what a resonance cascade could be
(My Little Freeman)
Until you shared its horrors with me
Big adventure
Tons of guns
A crowbar
Faithful and strong
Vortiguant kindness
Dr. Breeeeeen!
Headcrabs make it all complete!
You have My Little Freeman!
I wait for the next one everydaaaaaaaaaay!

Made for television by Gabe Newell.

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 06:42PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT
Quote

AWWWWWW YEEAAAAHHHHH

Wait what? She’s Twilight……

………

Mar 11, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT
Quote

Bruelock wrote:

AWWWWWW YEEAAAAHHHHH

Wait what? She’s Twilight……

………

Humm, DAT Photo….


Seriouslly, It’s good to know that there’s someone from the cast willing to get to know us for real. I feel like most of them tend to avoid interacting with us at all (except Lauren or one or two producers), but Tara is the first of the top people working on MLP to show broneis that she really cares knowing about us and appreciates our support (in this awesome way).

All my kudos for her.


EDIT: Verbose, you sly bastard…

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 07:41PM EDT
Quote

Carlos California wrote:

How can Tara tell that she dreamed of bronies?

In her dream she saw a bunch of short, overweight guys with pimples everywhere, wearing clothing related to MLP, carrying toys related to MLP and talking about MLP.
-----------------------------
holy shit, deja-vu. I remember typing the exact same thing a few days ago. This totally happened. Someone asked how Tara can tell that she dreamed of bronies.

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT

Why Molestia is a good pony no matter what kinda stuff she does:

Mar 11, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT
Quote

@Greg
Oh, Luna. I’ll take you home for a bit. That mean older sister is just jealous of your cuteness. I’ll take you out for ice cream and we can play a few rounds of TF2, okay?

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 09:26PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT
Quote

opspe wrote:

Has anyone been following Ask Jappleack over the past few weeks? It’’s been really interesting.

I have not, but now that I’ve seen where it is now, I think I might just.

That tumblr has taken a really massive turn. It’s gone from Red & Stimpy to Space Odyssey. It’s actually taking itself more seriously. This makes me actually want to follow it and see where it goes.

But it is still sort of funny in a “Really, Hotdiggetydemon? You cant really be doing this.” kind of way

Mar 11, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I have not, but now that I’ve seen where it is now, I think I might just.

That tumblr has taken a really massive turn. It’s gone from Red & Stimpy to Space Odyssey. It’s actually taking itself more seriously. This makes me actually want to follow it and see where it goes.

But it is still sort of funny in a “Really, Hotdiggetydemon? You cant really be doing this.” kind of way

It’s funny, 2001 was precisely what I was thinking too. I really like the direction it’s going in. I mean, the Ren & Stimpy stuff was funny, but this is just next-level.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:14PM EDT
Quote

Epic win is epic win:

Night guys!! (I have not say night to you fellahs in a while…well that’s minecraft for yeah). Night all! ^^

Last edited Mar 11, 2012 at 10:25PM EDT
Mar 11, 2012 at 10:25PM EDT
Quote


There need to be more white coloured ponies.
(inb4 That’s Racist!)


I thought of something to discuss. Do spirals on unicorn’s horns correspond to age? Do their horns become longer as they age or does it grow to a maximum length.
I’ll count the number of lines later.

Goodnight everyone.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

Why Molestia is a good pony no matter what kinda stuff she does:

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:45PM EDT

@Connor

Seems to be plenty of White ponies in Canterlot

As for your horn question, hmmm maybe. The only lead on that is the fact that Celestia has the longest horn of all and she’s supposed to be ancient.

The fillies all have tiny horns but they would have to be in order to get through the birth canal. After that it grows quickly. But all of the more mature unicorns seem to have an average and consistent horn length.

Actually the more I think about it, the more it seems to be consistent with the actual size of the unicorn, rather than age. As well as being older, Celestia also stands taller than most.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT
Quote

I would say that horn size is proportional to magical power. And since that generally increases with age, so does horn size. As for spirals, I think they simply express the growth pattern of the horn, kinda like tree rings; so, the bigger the horn, the more spirals it has.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:11AM EDT
Quote

opspe wrote:

I would say that horn size is proportional to magical power. And since that generally increases with age, so does horn size. As for spirals, I think they simply express the growth pattern of the horn, kinda like tree rings; so, the bigger the horn, the more spirals it has.

I disagree. Twilight is near and far, the most demonstratively magically powerful pony on the entire show. Even stronger than Celestia and Luna right now since they have never actually demonstrated their powers before, although I believe that they restrict use of their immense powers for a reason.

I don’t think rings necessarily correspond to years, but if they continue to grow throughout the unicorn’s life, perhaps like turtle shells or tree trunks, you could assume that horns do grow more spirals with age.


This thread is moving extraordinarily slow. We’re barely reaching 1 page a day, and even Tank is ashamed. For the first week or so we were pushing 3 pages/day, so something definitely is up. This can be attributed to several likely factors:
1. A bunch of people left the thread, leaving the posting community even smaller
2. Users are becoming less active as life rears its ugly head into the picture
3. Nothing major is going on, no image wars, no TL;DR battles, no late night debates, etc.
4. A general waning interest for ponies

Out of these, I fear 4 as the most frightening prospect. Could this be a sign of the overall decay of the brony community, or is it limited to ours here on KYM? Could ponies be nothing more than a passing fad (doubt it)? Is this something that happens every thread?

Mar 12, 2012 at 01:52AM EDT
Quote

@Twins

I disagree. Twilight is near and far, the most demonstratively magically powerful pony on the entire show.

Going to have to agree here. While I don’t think Twilight is magically more powerful than a sun controlling demigod she is certainly more powerful than Rarity and Trixie. However they pretty much all have the same horn length


As for this part

1. A bunch of people left the thread, leaving the posting community even smaller
2. Users are becoming less active as life rears its ugly head into the picture
3. Nothing major is going on, no image wars, no TL;DR battles, no late night debates, etc.
4. A general waning interest for ponies

1. I can think of at least one person who dropped out. Wont name anyone though.

2. Most of us here are posting less because of real life issues. I myself am finding more work to do as I contract myself into more web studio’s and conduct more business. Don’t forget the kids have school too.

3. Plenty of image wars lately but little discussion, feel free to start one. Last topic I wanted to discuss was whether or not you imagine (humanized) Twilight Sparkle was black. But that got drowned in images.

4. Dunno about you guys but my interest hasn’t changed. There’s too much brilliant work still rolling in.

You forgot two more:

5. New forum = We are moving more discussion to Ivans forum, offloading discussion off this thread

And:

6. Synctubes = Synctubes absorb posting.

Mar 12, 2012 at 02:15AM EDT
Quote

I really don’t think Twilight is stringer than Celesita and Luna. She certainly is the most talented unicorn in Ponyville, but Celestia and Luna are doing stuff like making the sun and moon rise, which I guess involves turning the universe around Equestria. They’re doing stuff that our puny minds can’t even begin to comprehend. I do agree what Twilight’s powers get the focus, but that’s because she’s the main character.


What I meant about the spirals is this: they aren’t directly indicative of age, but they correlate to age. So I guess we agree there.


About the thread slowing down: yes, I “left” the thread. But as I said earlier, that doesn’t mean I’m never posting here again. Just not as much as before. And once Ivan irons out the kinks in the new site, you can expect to see me over there too. There are a number of reasons why I made the move. First is life. I’ve had a grotesque amount of school work over the past few weeks, and it all culminates on Tuesday. I will be somewhat liberated after that.

Another reason why I “left” was because I was getting tired of the thread as an entity – but not of the posters themselves. I was tired of sifting through heaps of images and flame wars, and of feeling like I had to check the thread all the time. Okay, so maybe “had” is too strong a word, but you get the picture. And now that some more immediate forms of communication have opened up, I found myself needing the thread less and less, until I just decided to quit.

As for losing interest in ponies, I wouldn’t say that that’s the case with me. As you may know, I’m not the most zealous brony; in fact, I’m probably the least zealous brony, at least amongst us here. And I still maintain my interest in the show – I just don’t feel the need to be pony-ing all the time, and I never have.


One last thing: Verbose is on spring break until next week, so he won’t be around at all.



Ahh, ninja’d. Just like the good old days. But yes; synchtube chat, steam chat, and the few of you I have on MSN (shudder) have absorbed a lot of my conversation.

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 02:28AM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 02:26AM EDT
Quote

I think the moral here is to not consider ‘less posting’ to be a bad thing in this case since really we are just returning to normal levels for a forum thread

Less posting just means less posting for whatever reasons we have. But if something still needs to be posted, it will be. Something always comes up.

The silver lining is that the thread is far easier to follow and contains considerably less drama, chaos and spam. All factors that drove people away in the first place. Remember: People still prefer having discussions in the MLP comment section rather than this thread because this thread was too chaotic for them.

But now that its calmed down significantly, I think in time that may actually draw more discussions back to this thread.

Hell, we are already discussing right now.

[edit]

Whats that? You wanted to discuss the show, not this thread you say?

Well here you go, answer this question:

Your late night debate may now begin

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 02:53AM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 02:48AM EDT
Quote
Last topic I wanted to discuss was whether or not you imagine (humanized) Twilight Sparkle was black.

I’ve always imagined her to be Asian, myself. I think it’s the mane/hair that does it. Long straight black (it’s purple in the show but whatever) hair seems to be more indicative that way, in my opinion.

Mar 12, 2012 at 03:09AM EDT
Quote

I just recently spotted some fan-art depicting her as Asian. I wonder if I can dig it back up again.

You certainly aren’t the only one to see her in that light.

She’s been depicted as Latino, South American, Asian, Indian and of course Caucasian in various artwork.

The funny thing is that I never see the other characters get this treatment, its always Twi.

I wonder what is it about Twilight that makes people interpret her differently from the other characters in that regard.

The most I understand is that the darker fur tone could lead to the impression of having a darker skin tone while the hairstyle and eyes could result in asian/indian interpretations.

Some parts of her characters may come into play as well. However she doesn’t portray any kind of ethic stereotype so it’s hard to say

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 03:25AM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 03:19AM EDT
Quote

I was quite busy lately so here I am again.Have some pictures.

Edit:OOPS,Upload error

The images I was supposed to upload can be found here:
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/pic/

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 03:49AM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 03:40AM EDT

Ask Big Macintosh tumblr is closing :(

http://askbigmcintosh.tumblr.com/

twins wrote:

1. A bunch of people left the thread, leaving the posting community even smaller
2. Users are becoming less active as life rears its ugly head into the picture
3. Nothing major is going on, no image wars, no TL;DR battles, no late night debates, etc.
4. A general waning interest for ponies

School’s starting for me again but that’s never been a problem.

The biggest thing is Ivan’s new board. Everyone posts there so speed of posting here decreases.

opspe:

I would say that horn size is proportional to magical power. And since that generally increases with age, so does horn size. As for spirals, I think they simply express the growth pattern of the horn, kinda like tree rings; so, the bigger the horn, the more spirals it has.

I think they only correlate to physical size rather than power. Trixie, Rarity and other background ponies have the same size horn as Twilight Sparkle, yet are much weaker than her magically.

Even the Flim Flam brothers have longer horns, but they are narrower, indicating that the horn takes inspiration from the physical size and shape rather than any indication of magical power.

Mar 12, 2012 at 06:51AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I think the moral here is to not consider ‘less posting’ to be a bad thing in this case since really we are just returning to normal levels for a forum thread

Less posting just means less posting for whatever reasons we have. But if something still needs to be posted, it will be. Something always comes up.

The silver lining is that the thread is far easier to follow and contains considerably less drama, chaos and spam. All factors that drove people away in the first place. Remember: People still prefer having discussions in the MLP comment section rather than this thread because this thread was too chaotic for them.

But now that its calmed down significantly, I think in time that may actually draw more discussions back to this thread.

Hell, we are already discussing right now.

[edit]

Whats that? You wanted to discuss the show, not this thread you say?

Well here you go, answer this question:

Your late night debate may now begin

I pointed this out on the day of the show and you people notice it now?!

No one ever notices me….

Mar 12, 2012 at 09:08AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I pointed this out on the day of the show and you people notice it now?!

No one ever notices me….

A new user? Welcome to the KYM Pony General!

Want a hug?

But in all seriousness, it’s just an hourglass. It’s probably counting…the time :/

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

A new user? Welcome to the KYM Pony General!

Want a hug?

But in all seriousness, it’s just an hourglass. It’s probably counting…the time :/

The fact that you haven’t noticed me posting in various pony general threads since August of last year just verifies my qualms of practical invisibility.

This little community is great and all, but it makes it hard for anyone else to breach the inner circle.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:41AM EDT
Quote

terminallyCapricious (Fridge Logic) wrote:

_The fact that you haven’t noticed me posting in various pony general threads since August of last year just verifies my qualms of practical invisibility.

This little community is great and all, but it makes it hard for anyone else to breach the inner circle._

Well, I have noticed you. And I’m no expert on troll jokes, but burningphoenix’s comment looks highly casual.
AAAAANYwhooo….. have a pony

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:00PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

The fact that you haven’t noticed me posting in various pony general threads since August of last year just verifies my qualms of practical invisibility.

This little community is great and all, but it makes it hard for anyone else to breach the inner circle.

Fridge, I know who are.

I was just being facetious. Why you think I included trolls hugging a reag face?

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:04PM EDT
Quote

dravitar wrote:

terminallyCapricious (Fridge Logic) wrote:

_The fact that you haven’t noticed me posting in various pony general threads since August of last year just verifies my qualms of practical invisibility.

This little community is great and all, but it makes it hard for anyone else to breach the inner circle._

Well, I have noticed you. And I’m no expert on troll jokes, but burningphoenix’s comment looks highly casual.
AAAAANYwhooo….. have a pony

Dat’s my motto, nigga.

“If haters ain’t hatin’, you’re doin’ it wrong.”

As for the burning phoenix’s response, it is rather difficult to discern sarcasm from text. In my experience, this is what leads to many internet flamewars. I would advise you to be less facetious in the future, to avoid confusion.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:16PM EDT
Quote
1. A bunch of people left the thread, leaving the posting community even smaller
2. Users are becoming less active as life rears its ugly head into the picture
3. Nothing major is going on, no image wars, no TL;DR battles, no late night debates, etc.
4. A general waning interest for ponies

Oh no! This thread is only gaining 1 page a day like a normal thread instead of 3! This is truly a sign of the end.

Seriously though, I’m guessing it’s going to be that it’s either
A) Ivan’s new site
or
B)Nothing is going on

I’m going with B, personally. Even before Ivan started the site, the thread was a bit slower than usual, and when the site started there was no big discussion occurring, and there hasn’t been a really big topic of discussion since, only small ones.

We need you Dac!

Or maybe it was that everything was going on (Derpy, a certain piece of drama I’m not going to revive, etc.) and now things have just calmed down.

Also, I have been a bit busy, but I’m not sure about everyone else though.


@ Timer

It’s counting down to the wedding episode, when the next brony rage will begin.


@ Horn discussion

I’m going with physical size. It could be possible that it is related to magical power, but Twilight is supposedly gifted with magical power yet her horn is the same size of any other unicorn her age (or implied to be her age). And twists are just related to size.


Here’s some Derpy for you:

Probably been posted on here before, but I’m still gonna post it.

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 01:17PM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 12:56PM EDT
Quote

So I temporarly stopped preparing for the Reapers in ME2 to go up to Mickey D’s to get a pony, and let’s see who I got.

Surprisingly I didn’t get asked if it was for a daughter or anything though.

Mar 12, 2012 at 01:34PM EDT
Quote

Muffins wrote:

Princess Cadence confirmed by Hasbro to be Celestia’s sister

What do you guys think about this? It makes sense now why she’s an alicorn, but I think they’ve gone too far this time. This completely throws all previous Twilight character development out the window.

Wha… I don’t even…. huh?

How does this invalidate all of Twilight’s character development? It doesn’t have anything to do with her! And furthermore…

*Clicks link*

Mar 12, 2012 at 03:54PM EDT
Quote

Oh, I didn’t actually click the link. Or even bother to hover my mouse over it.
Well played, asshole.

Mar 12, 2012 at 03:55PM EDT

Muffins wrote:

Princess Cadence confirmed by Hasbro to be Celestia’s sister

What do you guys think about this? It makes sense now why she’s an alicorn, but I think they’ve gone too far this time. This completely throws all previous Twilight character development out the window.

Awwwww snap!

Initiate defense mode, now!

Clicks Link Anyway

Oh. Well then.

Last edited Mar 12, 2012 at 03:59PM EDT
Mar 12, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT
Quote

I don’t like the idea of a third (and potentially more) alicorn. It certainly doesn’t do favors for “How Equestria was made” fanfiction. I hope it is explained in the episode because as of now it feels like they just made Cadence an alicorn for shits and giggles.
Opinions?

Mar 12, 2012 at 04:01PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!