Forums / Discussion / General

170,186 total conversations in 5,454 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Thanks to all these images, this page officially consumes 10 megabytes more memory than the previous page. Well done

A price worth paying to our new queen.

EDIT: PAGE GET FOR THE GLORY OF QUEEN CHRYSALIS!

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 06:56AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 06:56AM EDT
Quote

Hey, I wonder what the Pony Gen’s been up to, I’ll just stop by and take a loo-
sees the epicosity of all the artwork
HOLY SH-

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 08:49AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 08:42AM EDT
Quote

Sorry for the double post, but when you see it…

Apr 22, 2012 at 09:03AM EDT
Quote

@Star: That’s most commented in the past 24 hours. Which is to be expected, considering the first one was a Dolanfag coming at bronies, the second was a debate, the third had Vinyl with purple eyes and the fourth was talking about how the season ended.

Oh, and they’re all ponies, so that automatically forces them to the top, compared to the rest of the site.

Apr 22, 2012 at 09:16AM EDT
Quote

Hey guys, I was just thinking "lol it would be crazy if there was already a Chrysalis plushie OH GOD THERE IS

She is pretty cool, though.

Apr 22, 2012 at 09:22AM EDT
Quote

MOAR!!!

……..aaaaaaand this might just be the best one.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 09:57AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 09:45AM EDT
Quote

ALL MY DAWW

See? She’s not a monster….she’s actualy kinda cute.
And in this:

she’s just beautiful…..

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 10:20AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:03AM EDT
Quote

This fandom is never gonna let Luna live yesterday down.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:23AM EDT
Quote

You know…
I’m kind of surprised that none of you actually post a “Manly tears were shed” image. I actually think that happy ending is really emotional. Really made me almost tear up a little. Those songs that played out the entire episode send chills down my spine every time. Especially the part when Shining Armour and Cadence did the magical scene and the ending.

Now that being said, I think I should post one…

BEST EPISODE EVER

Now look at her bedroom eyes.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 10:30AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:29AM EDT
Quote


I have a worthy competitor for Nemesis Pyro.
Me and the princess here.
Join my game if you think you can take us on.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:56AM EDT
Quote

You know I really think it’s really funny how we were all thinking that Cadence’s secret was that she was a fake Alicorn or something and it turned out she was actually an evil changeling.

I think we got too complacent for our own good.

Let’s not let that happen again, eh?

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:27AM EDT
Quote

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:


Oh gosh, why…

The day after the season finale is released, “Hater’s gonna hate” is now the most viewed image gallery.

Coincidence? I think not.


Was anyone able to catch John DeLancie’s voice role, btw? I think he might have been the other pony Sibsy’s pony was talking with.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 11:29AM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 11:28AM EDT
Quote

aerolyt wrote:

You know I really think it’s really funny how we were all thinking that Cadence’s secret was that she was a fake Alicorn or something and it turned out she was actually an evil changeling.

I think we got too complacent for our own good.

Let’s not let that happen again, eh?

Agree.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:29AM EDT
Quote

@Muffinator
I don’t think he was in it. I think he’s coming back for Season 3.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:51AM EDT
Quote

I was saying during the episode that I was getting Trixie vibes from Chrysalis

This would explain that.
 
Has anyone pointed that out here yet? Trixie was, in fact, “Cadence.”

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:15PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

I was saying during the episode that I was getting Trixie vibes from Chrysalis

This would explain that.
 
Has anyone pointed that out here yet? Trixie was, in fact, “Cadence.”

Well….Cadence has a different VA to Chrysalis.

And I don’t see Chrysalis on Kathleen Barr’s entry on IMDB

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:26PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Well….Cadence has a different VA to Chrysalis.

And I don’t see Chrysalis on Kathleen Barr’s entry on IMDB

That’s why I put “Cadence” in quotation marks. I had that feeling before we knew there was a Chrysalis.

As for IMDb, I don’t know if it’s anymore accurate that Wikipedia, especially when documenting roles for voice acting which is often uncredited.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:33PM EDT

Just saw the episode.
Well that was pretty great.
Here’s my unstructured and rushed paragraph about it.

Firstly I noticed that Shining armour’s voice was fucking manly. Secondly that song was fucking awesome, like seriously, it was verging on reggae Jesus Christ. Thirdly, fucking Sibsy. Also, we finally got a villain song which was fucking cool. I knew we’d get one sooner or later and it didn’t disappoint at all. Something else I noticed was that that attack was the first thing Celestia has ever done with her powers other than raise the sun and it fucking failed. Some all powerful princess she turned out to be. Then that last song got me. 3 songs in two episodes? Best season finale ever!

Okay I’m done.
Back to lurking until either conflict or a new episode.
Probably the former.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 01:11PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 01:09PM EDT
Quote

Last page was all fun and art. But can I ask everyone to have a limit of 3 images per post?

We don’t want to crash computers.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 01:36PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 01:35PM EDT
Quote

Thought you guys might want to know a fun fact about this song (aka best one ever):

This was in the comments:

The song’s key is Db Major. That means that the root chord is a Db major chord. Usually, a Ab major chord will lead into a Db major. This is the V-I chord progression and it is known as the Authentic Cadence. Now, it seems to resolve to a sadder chord at the end of the phrase. Instead of ending on Db major, it lands on Bb minor: the relative minor of Db major. When a chord progression seems to be heading to the root chord but lands on the relative minor, that is called…

…Deceptive Cadence

Mind=blown. The amount of respect I have for Studio B has risen to levels I thought impossible. Unless there are some music people on here that can deny this.

This is probably where her name is from as well.


@Phoenix below

God dammit. I’m still keeping it here because the song is awesome.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 01:43PM EDT
Quote

This was posted earlier Muffinator. I think I saw someone who didn’t agree with that assessment on Ponibooru or somewhere else but the truth will come out in a few days as more musical bronies look at it.

Apr 22, 2012 at 01:48PM EDT
Quote

I think I’ll share this with you all.

From the sound of it, yeah, I think de Lancie is coming back for season 3, and what did Chrysalis get beat by?

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 02:30PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 02:25PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

That’s why I put “Cadence” in quotation marks. I had that feeling before we knew there was a Chrysalis.

As for IMDb, I don’t know if it’s anymore accurate that Wikipedia, especially when documenting roles for voice acting which is often uncredited.

I’m sure if someone were to ask @GoldenRusset on Twitter, he’d give the skinny on it. He did tell us about Tabitha voicing Luna and Derpy a few months ago.

I’d really like to know who provided Cadence’s singing voice. It seems rather familiar, like something and American Idol contestant would sound like.

@Twins: OMG SO TRUE.

Come on people, the Honeymoon’s gonna last all summer at this rate.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 02:39PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 02:35PM EDT
Quote

@Muffinator
Well, I’ve just sat here with my guitar learning the chords and the first thing I noticed is that it ends on B minor not Bb Minor.
Secondly, the first verse starts on Db major and ends on Db minor. This would lead me to believe that it changes key at some point. It also uses the chords B minor, C major, Db minor and Db major. There is no single key with all of those chords. In the final verse I think that it changes key somewhere around “He’ll be marrying a fake”.
Finally the cadence, if you’re looking at it as a song in B minor at that point is actually F# major to B minor which in the key of B minor is a perfect cadence (or an authentic cadence).

Although I may be wrong. I’ve only been studying music seriously for 2 or 3 years and I’m no straight A student.

Edit: Well thanks Connor, now I look retarded lol.
I still don’t think that it counts as a deceptive cadence on account of the song ending on B minor not Bb minor and also that fact that it changes key. Key changes are cheating.

Regardless it’s still a very well written piece and a very good song.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 02:38PM EDT
Quote

I’d like to make the comment that I called that she was an evil shapeshifter FROM THE MOMENT SHE APPEARED ON SCREEN.

I have an eyewitness to prove it.

Apr 22, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT
Quote

Erin the Furry wrote:

Ingram confirmed the double meaning to the song.

Speaking of songs, let’s discuss our faves! Here are my tops:

1. Smile, Smile, Smile

2. This Day Aria

3. The Heart Carol

4. Winter Wrap Up

5. At the Gala

6. Becoming Popular

7. Find a Pet

I picked Smile over the Aria just because it defines Pinkie’s character so well, on top being extraordinary well written. It has a brightness to it that embodies the show completely. The Aria, despite being a pitch-perfect villain song and absolutely stirring orchestrally (seriously, ’dose opening chords), is a bit melodramatic as far as vocals are concerned – which is probably to its benefit, I just thought it was too much for my tastes.

What do you guys think?

Apr 22, 2012 at 03:06PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Last page was all fun and art. But can I ask everyone to have a limit of 3 images per post?

We don’t want to crash computers.

Ah, okay. Can do.

@Teh Brawler

I also suspected Cadence was an impostor from the first, since Twilight had once known her so well and she just gave Twi the cold shoulder like that.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 03:08PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 03:08PM EDT
Quote

Millennial Dan wrote:

Ah, okay. Can do.

@Teh Brawler

I also suspected Cadence was an impostor from the first, since Twilight had once known her so well and she just gave Twi the cold shoulder like that.

Yeah, it wasn’t really hard to figure out that there was something wrong with “Cadence” since in Twilight’s flashback, she was pretty kind and that, but the one that was marrying Shining Armor from the start was well, quite frankly a bitch.

Pardon my language.

Apr 22, 2012 at 03:13PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I’d like to make the comment that I called that she was an evil shapeshifter FROM THE MOMENT SHE APPEARED ON SCREEN.

I have an eyewitness to prove it.

Well, it was made pretty obvious after the whole “childhood babysitter” establishment. It was made blatantly obvious by the green aura that she was bad news, but until then it could be inferred that she was just bein’ a bitch. I thought it could’ve been a corruptive force a la Nightmare Moon, or even Nightmare Moon herself, but this was severely jossed by Luna’s appearance.

One thing I thought was odd was Twilight’s behavior. Why did she accuse Mi Amore Cadenza of being evil in front of everypony when she could’ve gone an alternate route? Better yet, why didn’t she see that Cadence, a pony whom she had known for most of her life, was corrupted, and not just being “evil,” as she so one-dimensionally put it? That she, too, had been endangered, and nt just her brother? Wouldn’t she be smart enough to figure it out? Perhaps it was necessary to carry the plot in the right direction, but I think it was a misstep by the writers, especially in such a Twilight-focused episode.

By the way, Brawler, who is your eyewitness?

Apr 22, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT
Quote

@Fridge:

My favorite songs?

1. Smile Song
2. BBBFF (Nearly made me cry, because I have an older brother. We were at each other’s throats sometimes, but it was usually in good fun, and because we were boys.)
3. Love is in Bloom
4. This Day Aria
5. At the Gala
6. Heart Carol
7. Winter Wrap Up
8/9 tie. Art of the Dress/Becoming Popular
10. Flim Flam Brothers Song
11. The Perfect Stallion
12. Find a Pet
13. You Got to Share, You Got to Care

I would add the songs without music, and chants, but you guys don’t care, probably.

Apr 22, 2012 at 03:22PM EDT
Quote

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Now that that image has been made and posted, its only a matter of time. Thank you, Twins.


@ Favorite Songs
When I first watched the show, I skipped all the musical bits. I still haven’t seen some, so don’t be surprised if some good ones don’t make it on here.

1. This day. I don’t care if it’s new, its still awesome.
2.Smile
3. Super Cider Squeezy 6000 or whatever
4. At the Gala
5. May the Best Pet Win or whatever Winter Wrap-Up

Yeah, I’m only doing 5. That’s probably because I’ve only heard about 7 total. I need to watch some of those musical episodes again.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 03:58PM EDT
Quote

Okay, so turns out that This Day Aria wasn’t the song with a deceptive cadence and it was in fact BBBFF (you’ll notice the sudden change of mood when she says “forever”).
So basically my whole musical analysis of Day of Aria was pointless. I even worked out all of the chords to the last verse! Turns out Day of Aria ended on a plagal cadence.

Anywho, I posted a comment on that reddit post talking about how I thought he was wrong and turns out I was talking about a completely different song. Boy I had egg on my face!

I guess it’s time for favourite songs.
This is just off the top of my head so I may well miss a few.

1. Becoming popular (Rarity is best pony)
2. Art of the Dress (Basically sold Rarity and the whole show to me)
3. BBBFF
4. May the best pet win
5. Smile Smile Smile

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT
Quote

1. Winter Wrap Up
2. Also Winter Wrap Up
3. Art of the Dress
4. More Winter Wrap up
5. May the Best Pet Win

I really like Winter Wrap Up.

Apr 22, 2012 at 04:17PM EDT

Kanye West wrote:

Okay, so turns out that This Day Aria wasn’t the song with a deceptive cadence and it was in fact BBBFF (you’ll notice the sudden change of mood when she says “forever”).
So basically my whole musical analysis of Day of Aria was pointless. I even worked out all of the chords to the last verse! Turns out Day of Aria ended on a plagal cadence.

Anywho, I posted a comment on that reddit post talking about how I thought he was wrong and turns out I was talking about a completely different song. Boy I had egg on my face!

I guess it’s time for favourite songs.
This is just off the top of my head so I may well miss a few.

1. Becoming popular (Rarity is best pony)
2. Art of the Dress (Basically sold Rarity and the whole show to me)
3. BBBFF
4. May the best pet win
5. Smile Smile Smile

You’re welcome, lolstaz.


I didn’t understand a single word of that analysis. I don’t know anything about music, I just listen to it. Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 04:24PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 04:20PM EDT
Quote

@Muffinator
We’ll see who gets the last laugh…

No but seriously, It’s fine. It was a learning experience. For one I didn’t even know what an Authentic or Deceptive cadence was before that (or at least I didn’t know an authentic cadence by that name). Also, it made me learn more about major and minor 4th chords, plagal cadences and a little bit about picardy thirds when I was trying to figure out the cadence at the end of This Day Aria.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 04:27PM EDT
Quote

And no one mentions the awesome that was “The Flim Flam Brothers Song.”

Apr 22, 2012 at 04:29PM EDT
Quote

Kanye West wrote:

@Muffinator
We’ll see who gets the last laugh…

No but seriously, It’s fine. It was a learning experience. For one I didn’t even know what an Authentic or Deceptive cadence was before that (or at least I didn’t know an authentic cadence by that name). Also, it made me learn more about major and minor 4th chords, plagal cadences and a little bit about picardy thirds when I was trying to figure out the cadence at the end of This Day Aria.

Apr 22, 2012 at 04:30PM EDT
Quote

badsitrep wrote:

And no one mentions the awesome that was “The Flim Flam Brothers Song.”

I did. That was “Super Cider Sqeezy 6000”. Glad to know people read my posts and that I’m an appreciated member of this thread.


And yes, I’m being sarcastic with this post.

Last edited Apr 22, 2012 at 04:49PM EDT
Apr 22, 2012 at 04:48PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!