Forums / General

191,288 total conversations in 5,246 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9,954 conversations with 194 participants

@millenial Dan
I don’t think bronies are kinder and more compassionate than others. I’m not being a cynic ethier, I just don’t think that we should consider ourselves better than others. The only generalization I can make about bronies is that bronies like ponies.

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT

Dac wrote:

@millenial Dan
I don’t think bronies are kinder and more compassionate than others. I’m not being a cynic ethier, I just don’t think that we should consider ourselves better than others. The only generalization I can make about bronies is that bronies like ponies.

I never used the word “better”, as that is extremely subjective and vague. However, there was a study done that supports my statement. I’ll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is. If you don’t want to see the whole thing, here’s the part I’m talking about:

A higher number of asterisks indicates greater statistical difference.

No doubt, someone will try to find some way of discrediting these results, but my opinion is that they are basically accurate.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 07:38PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 07:22PM EDT

@Millenial Dan
I don’t know really how to categorize all of the bronies. All I know is that the community and the show dug me out of a deep world of s^^^. My grandfather who I grew up knowing had just passed away, and I was depressed. So depressed, I was becoming a monster of a being, and honestly, a living wreck. Upon the realization, I tried to find some other venue, and hoped to God that he would provide something that could make me feel better.
I guess Bronies and MLP were his answer, because pretty soon, I started taking interest when I noticed it on YouTube. Pretty soon I was watching the show, and now, I’m a brony!
So I’d say this fandom does help drag people like me out of bad places and helps us get back on our feet.
Ahhh, personal stories…

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:24PM EDT

Millennial Dan wrote:

I never used the word “better”, as that is extremely subjective and vague. However, there was a study done that supports my statement. I’ll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is. If you don’t want to see the whole thing, here’s the part I’m talking about:

No doubt, someone will try to find some way of discrediting these results, but my opinion is that they are basically accurate.

You didnt say better, but I think we can all agree that being more caring and compasionate does make one a better person. About the study, look for it. I want to see who did it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:28PM EDT

Dac wrote:

You didnt say better, but I think we can all agree that being more caring and compasionate does make one a better person. About the study, look for it. I want to see who did it.

It was on EQD a few-ish months back. The survey was done by a psychiatrist named Dr. Patrick Edwards and a neuropsychologist named Dr. Marsha Redden, so at least the people doing it sound legit enough. As for the results I’m not sure. Thanks Millenial, I didn’t realize they had posted the results. I participated, which makes at least my answers legit.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 07:42PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 07:42PM EDT

Millennial Dan wrote:

I’m nearly positive that it is the Brony Study.

If you cite is as evidence then I’ll show you why it isn’t the highest quality of surveys, why the results lack external reliability, and why the conclusions reached are are not probably correct. (However, I will grant that this round of conclusions aren’t nearly as biased as the previous round’s.)

Also, the questionnaire itself was that of a clinical psychologist. In determining whether or not we are nicer as a community or anything, I’d feel as if that is best left to a sociologist or a social psychologist. A clinical psychologist (as the two running the study are) has a different bent in how they approach their respondents. I’m not saying they don’t know their stuff, but they’ve made some really poor conclusions before.

And being involved in research myself in the social sciences, I can tell you that my assignments often involve finding fault in methodology, conclusions, or theoretical background (something completely missing from the first part of the study and lacking in the second.)

tl;dr It’s as good as any other piece of evidence you could find, but it does have its flaws.

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:44PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

I’m nearly positive that it is the Brony Study.

If you cite is as evidence then I’ll show you why it isn’t the highest quality of surveys, why the results lack external reliability, and why the conclusions reached are are not probably correct. (However, I will grant that this round of conclusions aren’t nearly as biased as the previous round’s.)

Also, the questionnaire itself was that of a clinical psychologist. In determining whether or not we are nicer as a community or anything, I’d feel as if that is best left to a sociologist or a social psychologist. A clinical psychologist (as the two running the study are) has a different bent in how they approach their respondents. I’m not saying they don’t know their stuff, but they’ve made some really poor conclusions before.

And being involved in research myself in the social sciences, I can tell you that my assignments often involve finding fault in methodology, conclusions, or theoretical background (something completely missing from the first part of the study and lacking in the second.)

tl;dr It’s as good as any other piece of evidence you could find, but it does have its flaws.

Heh, I’m a prophet. It’s okay though, those are just my views, and I just wanted to show that they weren’t completely unfounded.

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

FINALLY MECH PONIES! :D

(Also Sui might get ticked if he sees this :P).

Apr 29, 2012 at 07:50PM EDT

Millennial Dan wrote:

Heh, I’m a prophet. It’s okay though, those are just my views, and I just wanted to show that they weren’t completely unfounded.

No, they are not unfounded. After reading these results, I think they went into a lot more effort in clarifying their results this time around. I do not feel ashamed to share institutions with one of them now.

I will say though that I’d believe a lot of the respondents come from Equestria Daily, because that’s where I saw most of the recruitment done. I don’t know if they went into other sites with significant numbers of broneis (bringing that spelling back now), many of which do not visit Equestria Daily (e.g., Ponibooru, FIMchan, /mlp/). I know a lot of news is stuff I have to present here, because at one point, most of you didn’t frequent Equestria Daily very often. If many other smaller subcommunities of broneis are the same way, then their sample probably wasn’t representative of the brony community on the whole. I know that many users on Ponibooru hate EqD and their commenters, because they see them as being overly concerned with morals and have already made a point to remove anonymous posting to prevent/reduce trolling.

Given that reason for disliking EqD (which is tied to how nice we are as a community,) I’d say that you’d have entirely different results from Ponibooru, FIMchan, and paheal, some dA’s, some tumblr circles, and maybe /mlp/ (I haven’t been there recently to know how they feel about various matters of morality, kindness, or anything.)

So I’d say that would be some evidence that this particular portion of bronydom (to “steal” a term from opspe who stole from me first but PATENTS AND SH!T) is nicer than non-bronies. But even in that, I’m sure subjectively “nice” can be twisted by using objective measurements to yield insignificant results.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:23PM EDT

Anyone read any pony trollfics that are as lulz inducing as “Half-Life: Full Life Consequences”?

I’m considering writing one for sh!ts and giggles.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:26PM EDT

badsitrep, gar wrote:

Anyone read any pony trollfics that are as lulz inducing as “Half-Life: Full Life Consequences”?

I’m considering writing one for sh!ts and giggles.

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Bill%20O’Reilly (How do links I make links?)

My personal favorite writer. If you frequent FiMFiction you might know him since he’s had a bit of his stuff featured. But it’s all I’ve got in the way of trollfics.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:30PM EDT

ExudesAffluence wrote:

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Bill%20O’Reilly (How do links I make links?)

My personal favorite writer. If you frequent FiMFiction you might know him since he’s had a bit of his stuff featured. But it’s all I’ve got in the way of trollfics.

I tried ur link.

All I got was Pinkie Pie.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:37PM EDT

badsitrep, gar wrote:

I tried ur link.

All I got was Pinkie Pie.

Well, at least it’s an excuse to look at Pinkie Pie. Seeing as I only feign an understanding of computer and Internet I jsut dont know what went rong and i jsut dont no what to do

His name is Bill O’Reilly. I cannot help you further your quest for trollfics.

Also, I don’t think Full Consequences was a trollfic. I think that was legit.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

No, they are not unfounded. After reading these results, I think they went into a lot more effort in clarifying their results this time around. I do not feel ashamed to share institutions with one of them now.

I will say though that I’d believe a lot of the respondents come from Equestria Daily, because that’s where I saw most of the recruitment done. I don’t know if they went into other sites with significant numbers of broneis (bringing that spelling back now), many of which do not visit Equestria Daily (e.g., Ponibooru, FIMchan, /mlp/). I know a lot of news is stuff I have to present here, because at one point, most of you didn’t frequent Equestria Daily very often. If many other smaller subcommunities of broneis are the same way, then their sample probably wasn’t representative of the brony community on the whole. I know that many users on Ponibooru hate EqD and their commenters, because they see them as being overly concerned with morals and have already made a point to remove anonymous posting to prevent/reduce trolling.

Given that reason for disliking EqD (which is tied to how nice we are as a community,) I’d say that you’d have entirely different results from Ponibooru, FIMchan, and paheal, some dA’s, some tumblr circles, and maybe /mlp/ (I haven’t been there recently to know how they feel about various matters of morality, kindness, or anything.)

So I’d say that would be some evidence that this particular portion of bronydom (to “steal” a term from opspe who stole from me first but PATENTS AND SH!T) is nicer than non-bronies. But even in that, I’m sure subjectively “nice” can be twisted by using objective measurements to yield insignificant results.

The survey does have its margins of error, as do any surveys in general. However, statistically speaking, the Brony Study is probably accurate, if not for the whole fandom, for Equestria Daily. People do tend to be rather truthful in anonymous surveys like these.

I kind of doubt the non-brony portion of the study though, because why would a non-brony take that quiz in the first place? The comparison from the survey results seems iffy, but makes sense.

Avoiding subjective terms like “better” and “nicer”, I do believe that bronies are, on average, more emotional and compassionate toward others. Take that as you will.

Apr 29, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT

@Verbose

Very interesting, I always appreciate your detailed perspective. Being a frequenter of EqD and some other sites myself, I understand how different the various groups can be. That is certainly a good thing to keep in mind when constructing a study of such a massive fandom.

@ExudesAffluence

You’re welcome. Interesting that you took the study, I know some others who did as well, though I did not.

@Twins

Indeed.

Now, I heard someone likes pony mechs…

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 09:16PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT

@Dr. Greg
What da fuq…

Anyway, not much.

@Everyone else
My first fic in the series is awaiting approval. It should be up soon.
I want to extend a very, very greatful thanks to Gigatoast for his image.

Apr 29, 2012 at 09:38PM EDT

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:

@Dr. Greg
What da fuq…

Anyway, not much.

@Everyone else
My first fic in the series is awaiting approval. It should be up soon.
I want to extend a very, very greatful thanks to Gigatoast for his image.

Is this your Red Dawn one? Where you at on FiMFic?

Edit response to question below since I don’t feel like double posting –
I await.

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 10:00PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT

ExudesAffluence wrote:

Is this your Red Dawn one? Where you at on FiMFic?

Edit response to question below since I don’t feel like double posting –
I await.

No sorry. Its the pre-story about Celestia.
Trust me, Red Dawn is not gonna be ready for a while. Which is why I’m starting to write it now.
My name is We’ll_Never_Know. Got a Hind for an avatar (that’s my standard)

BTW, this one’s open to critique. I want to know what I should work on to make Lunar Dawn the best it can be!

Last edited Apr 29, 2012 at 09:53PM EDT
Apr 29, 2012 at 09:51PM EDT

@deadpool
Yeah, those leapfrog books can be a real hoot in the right company! Lol
Seriously, nice tats.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:34PM EDT

ExudesAffluence wrote:

@deadpool

Are you kidding me? I do that when I’m sober.

You blackout on tables for long enough for people to draw on you? Sober? You gotta get that checked out bro! Lol

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT

Oh Pinkie feels go happy in her dress!!

Also Pinkie still remembers back when she was a filly!

(This picture is a reference to the Silent Ponyville fanfic).

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:41PM EDT

I almost forgot to post this here. This is my first attempt at a song that I made for a MIDI remix assignment for college.

I’m reasonably happy with it, but I’m currently retooling it to give it a bit more personal touch. I downloaded the MIDI tracks from someone on My Little Remix and used a lot of Apple Loops, so I’m not fully satisfied with it in terms of originality.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:57PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

I take it you’re left handed then?

I think it was his friend in the baggy pants. Notice dem feets.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:14PM EDT

I’m amazed how much I can relate to that pic.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT

Playing Pokemon after about a year of my DS collecting dust when suddenly-

Wild uncontrollable laughter appears!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:30AM EDT

Jackal Lantern wrote:

I almost forgot to post this here. This is my first attempt at a song that I made for a MIDI remix assignment for college.

I’m reasonably happy with it, but I’m currently retooling it to give it a bit more personal touch. I downloaded the MIDI tracks from someone on My Little Remix and used a lot of Apple Loops, so I’m not fully satisfied with it in terms of originality.

I wish I could make remixes… I look forward to hearing your final product.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:31AM EDT

I am pretty sure those feet did the artwork on my arm.

It sure wasn’t me, with me being all passed out from booze.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:36AM EDT

Dac wrote:

I think it was his friend in the baggy pants. Notice dem feets.

Yeah, I don’t know how else he would write something on the back of his neck. :P

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:01AM EDT

I don’t know, that’s common type of theme in all animations and movies, not just Gurren Lagann

Apr 30, 2012 at 05:07AM EDT

Deadpool_aka_Wade_W wrote:

I had a hell of a night last nite.

Wow, your friends draw ponies on you when that happens? Mine just draw dicks and write ‘shit’ or ‘fuck’ everywhere. I think that means you win.

Also, lol@ Fuck shit stack

(Listen up to the second verse, it’s genius. It’s not all just swearing, it’s supposed to be a satire of rap. Also, I’ve said this before, but DAT LIP SYNCING)

Pinkamena wrote:

(This picture is a reference to the Silent Ponyville fanfic).

I can remember reading that last summer. That there’s some creepy shit. It somehow managed to capture the oppressive atmosphere of the earlier Silent Hill games (side note: Silent Hill 2 = best game evar), to the point where it made me feel uncomfortable if I read it for too long. I also read the sequel focused on Fluttershy, and that was equally good. I should really work my way through the third one sometime.

Apr 30, 2012 at 07:16AM EDT

That’s that! now we can all close that subject… (No, I don’t think it’ll completely stop the red-eyed Vinyl artwork)

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:03AM EDT

Hey, so, about Cutie Marks… What exactly are they? Are they a pigment change in a pony’s hair, or their skin, or both? Because if it was just their hair or something, then if you were to shave a pony’s hair off they wouldn’t have a cutie mark until the hair grows back… Or something. I dunno, thoughts?

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:38AM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

Hey, so, about Cutie Marks… What exactly are they? Are they a pigment change in a pony’s hair, or their skin, or both? Because if it was just their hair or something, then if you were to shave a pony’s hair off they wouldn’t have a cutie mark until the hair grows back… Or something. I dunno, thoughts?

When Snips and Snails get shaved in Ponyville Confidential, it shows cutie marks are only on the fur. I can’t remember if we’ve seen them since, but would guess their marks would’ve grown back.

As for any of the other mechanics of cutie marks:
It’s magic, I don’t gotta explain shit.

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:54AM EDT

Caramel wrote:

When Snips and Snails get shaved in Ponyville Confidential, it shows cutie marks are only on the fur. I can’t remember if we’ve seen them since, but would guess their marks would’ve grown back.

As for any of the other mechanics of cutie marks:
It’s magic, I don’t gotta explain shit.

This is why I ask this thread about these things. Everyone knows some detail that I missed that answers my questions.

By the way, I think my head almost exploded FROM TEH AWSHUMNEZ OF DIS VIDYA.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 09:24AM EDT
Apr 30, 2012 at 09:05AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

I don’t know, that’s common type of theme in all animations and movies, not just Gurren Lagann

I was going to say that. There’s nothing so unique about it that it makes me believe that it was a reference to anything. It’s stronger than a tenuous connection though. Wouldn’t put it beyond DHX.

ITT: Classy as f*ck.

Not really, not proposing a theme. But thelivingmachine02 art on the whole (still believe he’s on hiatus) and John de Lancie’s…no…

John de Lancie’s materialization and following pimp walk to the panel are things I admire.

Now, hopefully I can get back to sleep so I can get some writing done.

Bonus Ponu

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:49AM EDT

Just stopped by to check on the status of the forum…

Scanning…

Doesn’t look like things have gotten out of hand for quite a few pages. Good work!

Perhaps I can start frequenting this forum again, instead of just being a lurkaholic.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:19PM EDT

@verbose’s Luna pic

Dat eye shadow. Dem boobs.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT
Apr 30, 2012 at 12:43PM EDT

Wow….
Hotdiggedydemon is a dick.

I’m in a stream for the askspaponies tumblr blog and because the mod for spa ponies accidentally streamed at the same time hotdiggedy did, Hotdiggedydemon sent all of his fans to chat-bomb the spa-pony stream and throw insults at the mod.

WTF.

Not cool.

Apr 30, 2012 at 01:33PM EDT

badsitrep, gar wrote:

Wow….
Hotdiggedydemon is a dick.

I’m in a stream for the askspaponies tumblr blog and because the mod for spa ponies accidentally streamed at the same time hotdiggedy did, Hotdiggedydemon sent all of his fans to chat-bomb the spa-pony stream and throw insults at the mod.

WTF.

Not cool.

drawing shit is serious business.

Its not all fun and games. Its a fight to the death.

Drawing pictures is a serious competition. Only the strongest and greates will survive.

Apr 30, 2012 at 02:01PM EDT

Hi everyone

Man i forgot how awesome reading through this thread is

Apr 30, 2012 at 02:40PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!