Forums / Discussion / General

232,884 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

That awkward moment when you find this gif:

In your pictures folder, and you have no reason why it's there.
So to bring humor to the situation.
Mythbuster ponies.

Edit:
Just got an idea. Seeing as I have no skills, can someone caption that gif as abandon thread?
Hugs.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT

@Verbose

Know the logo from #MLP-FiM on DeviantArt?

Something like that would be pretty cool.

G-O-O-G-L-E written out by the main six.

Coffee Bean drawn on coffee paint. @dat-pun

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 06:19PM EDT

>at friend's graduation party
>only IRL brony I know is there
>chilling with him and this guy I know's sister
>ponies come up
>she's started watching the show
>I ask if her brother (a guy I used to hang out with all the time) watches it
>he's a brony
>text him about it
>he's been a brony since the show premiered
>mfw:

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 10:46PM EDT

Oh. Speaking of which when did you guy's become bronies and how long have you been bronies? I think i stopped being an entitled little shit and became a brony around episode…what 30?

GIANTDAD wrote:

Oh. Speaking of which when did you guy's become bronies and how long have you been bronies? I think i stopped being an entitled little shit and became a brony around episode…what 30?

About the start of the second season. But I always had a certain love of cute things, so it came naturally without any regrets… Wait. A Mexican that has a secret obsession with cute things?
I'm the real life Chad!…from Bleach.

GIANTDAD wrote:

When MLP first started getting popular on t3h int3rw3bz, I was rather indifferent to it, to be honest. I was like "Okay, it's a meme. That's great." I never really hated it, but I was rather curious about the bronies. Not the "how the hell can they like it because it's for girls" curious. The "how can they donate so much of their time and do awesome stuff to a bunch of ponies" curious.

Well, I came home from school one day to find my four-year-old brother watching "Sonic Rainboom," and since I watch Phineas and Ferb with him, I was like "Okay, why not? Who knows? I may like this too."

Well, one night I sat down and watched the first two episodes… giveortakeanothertwelve.

When I finally stopped, II started openly calling myself a brony… and my life has never been better. Seriously. I went from Cs and Ds in college to all As and Bs, I got a girlfriend, and I got a really high-paying job. I also notice I'm a lot more cheerful than I was, and a lot more accepting of people.

It's amazing what a TV show about ponies can do to your life, no?

GIANTDAD wrote:

First explanation
More concise without gifs that could potentially cause seizures.

The fandom was well-established by the time I started watching, and I watched the episodes that aired up to that point in a weekend (not so much of an achievement as it was for those who came on later,) so I guess early March, because I think I picked up after Sonic Rainboom for sure (I think A Dog and Pony Show was the first episode I saw upon its premiere or close to it.)

Related: Aha! I finally found the gif!

This was The reason I looked into ponies at all. Granted, I would have been bored and would have looked into this upon lurking KYM at some point, but still. Pinkie still holds a special place in my heart. (Um, heads up: If you don't like Pinkie wearing suits for fun, don't click that "heart" link.)

GIANTDAD wrote:

Immediately after I watched Luna Eclipsed (second season). Somewhere around October last year I think.

Apparently I was not alone, Luna Eclipsed touched the hearts of many

We interrupt this program to bring you an important news bulletin.

Sweet Apple Massacre has made its way on to the front page!

Users are encouraged to stay away from the entry, to prevent it from trending!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 12:22AM EDT

I've been into ponies for a little more than a year now. I first saw them on the now long dead VG Cats forums and had to see more! My internet searches for them soon brought me to KYM, where I also found a decent sized, but not huge group of bronies talking about them. I wanted to actually get to know some people who were bronies as well and I wanted to be able to keep up with them easily so I joined this site rather than Equestria Daily.

I'm pretty sure this was one of the first pony related things I saw that got me interested in watching the show

Oh and check out Equestria Daily's sweet E3 banner

So, I have come to somewhat of a revelation and I thought you guys should here this. Now, before I start, let me just say that nothing will change. I will not leave, post less frequently, or stop discussing the show with you guys.
I have always wondered why I read MLP fanfics, looked at fan art, and discussed it with you guys so much. It seemed weird to me that I spent a good amount of time discussing ponies and what not even though I don't really ever watch episodes after the first time. Why do I always discuss the dumbest things I can think of regarding mlp with you guys? Season 2 has been over for a while now and I have been watching other shows, and besides talking here or a fanfic every now and then, I haven't really been spending much time with mlp. It made me realize that besides the characters, which I find to be amazing and lovable, the show is pretty much just average on my radar. It's you guys that drive me to ponies. I really enjoy talking to you guys. As for the fanfics, I guess it's because I love the characters, but the episodes never really quite do it for me. The fanfics fix that. Anyways, thanks for being so damn enjoyable to talk to guys.

@Joe:

I'll take some time out of my grimdark-horror version of Equestria to read that fic. That place can get scary sometimes, but not really. I still need to finish Yours Truly and Lunar Dawn. Now this? I'll be sure to read it when I get some spare time.
Pics semi-related but not really.

I've started watching the show last year either June or July, I can't remember exactly. I watched the first two episodes on youtube just to see what it was all about. I said to myself "Well, that was stupid. At least I never have to watch it again." but for some reason, I don't know why, I started watching more episodes on youtube. I was around 6 or 7 episodes in when I thought "Wait, why am I still watching this?" Then I found out there was 26 episodes (season 2 hadn't aired yet), so I said to myself "Alright, I made it this far, I'll watch all 26 episodes then I'll never have to watch this show again!" I watched all the episodes and started over again at episode 1. I think that's when I started calling myself a brony.

Little late to the party, but what the hay.
I first found ponies right here on KYM back in March/April 2011.
I had been killing time with the other Cheezeburger sites for a while before I noticed the 'Know Your Meme' link at the bottom of the page.
I've always liked seeing the origins of ideas so I started poking around.
Little did I know that I had stepped into a battlefield.
It was a time when ponies had just been banned on 4chan so bronies and non-bronies seemed to be facing off in almost every post's comments.
I was curious so I read the whole MLP article and ran through its entire image gallery.
I've always liked cartoons and when I found out Faust had worked on PPG too, I was sold.
Watched all of season one over one weekend, then I watched them all again… and again.
Everything else sort of expanded from there.

I still remember watching the mods debate over banning ponies altogether.
I saw at least two days where the image board was suddenly locked without warning or explanation.
Ah… fun times…

So thank you KYM, for your eventual acceptance of the ponies!

BTW, I only started reading fan-fiction because of KYM's page on Cupcakes.
It sounded so crazy and had generated so much hype that I just had to try.
I didn't find it quite as bad as a lot of people did, but it definitely opened the floodgates.

Oh yeah, considering my obcession with Scootaloo, it may surprise some people to know that I really didn't like the CMC at first.
I thought they were just really annoying distractions from the main cast.
Then Show Stoppers happened and they completely won me over with that song!
I don't care how much the creators complain about having to intentionally butcher the song to give the whole 'talent-show collapsing' vibe,I thought it was absolutely perfect!

Dac wrote:

So, I have come to somewhat of a revelation and I thought you guys should here this. Now, before I start, let me just say that nothing will change. I will not leave, post less frequently, or stop discussing the show with you guys.
I have always wondered why I read MLP fanfics, looked at fan art, and discussed it with you guys so much. It seemed weird to me that I spent a good amount of time discussing ponies and what not even though I don't really ever watch episodes after the first time. Why do I always discuss the dumbest things I can think of regarding mlp with you guys? Season 2 has been over for a while now and I have been watching other shows, and besides talking here or a fanfic every now and then, I haven't really been spending much time with mlp. It made me realize that besides the characters, which I find to be amazing and lovable, the show is pretty much just average on my radar. It's you guys that drive me to ponies. I really enjoy talking to you guys. As for the fanfics, I guess it's because I love the characters, but the episodes never really quite do it for me. The fanfics fix that. Anyways, thanks for being so damn enjoyable to talk to guys.

Heheh, I think we've disagreed over at least half the things we've talked about, but I'll just imagine that I'm included in that anyway. After all, if everyone agreed all the time, discussion sure would be a drag. =b

So anyway, when did I become a brony? It was back in August, I believe. Like for some of you, KYM actually played an instrumental role in that process, as did EQD and YouTube, naturally.

I can't remember if it was on some Zelda site or what, but I kept seeing random pony fanart pop up everywhere, and I actually tried watching the pilot sometime in the Spring of last year. I got bored around the time AJ came on the screen, and after that I left ponies alone for a few months. Eventually, though, I somehow saw Stare Master, and I was kind of impressed with the way Fluttershy retained her personality in circumstances that would have had her jump out of character in any other show. At any moment, I expected her to lose her demure voice and demeanor and start acting like in-charge-Marge toward the CMC, but she never did. Actually, that's probably one reason I'm not too sure how I feel about Putting Your Hoof Down, it took her out of character for the sake of the gag. But anyway, not long after that I saw some other Fluttershy clips, like her yays and her Gala freakout, and I was hooked. Then I started finding awesome PMVs and the greatest remixes and such. Looking back, I must say an internet addict and animation fan like me never stood a chance against ponies.

Derpy deserves mention in my bronification as well, since after seeing a picture of her I became obsessed with finding out more about this odd derp-eyed pony. The more I researched, the more of the show I watched, until eventually I was sitting in eager anticipation for season 2 just like everyone else, totally pumped for more Derpy and Fluttershy and Twilight and Rarity and Luna and so on. Ah, good memories.

tl;dr
It's all her fault.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 05:18AM EDT

KYM + StarGazer + trending ponies + curiosity + the inability to stop watching = I'm a brony now

I think it hit me that I was one when I found myself thinking one day, "I could be watching ponies instead of doing this."

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:06AM EDT

Dac wrote:

This is actually true.

Without the fandom and community around the show, I would have never been this obsessed with Pones.

It would be something like Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls, shows that I enjoyed watching but never really did much about it after that.

I would basically watch the episodes say "wow, they actually turned MLP into something pretty good!" and promptly go upon my merry way.

So yes. Fandom is what drives me to ponies, Lyra plushies Warts and all.

null wrote:

KYM + StarGazer + trending ponies + curiosity + the inability to stop watching = I'm a brony now

I think it hit me that I was one when I found myself thinking one day, "I could be watching ponies instead of doing this."

I was basically the same way.

That was thanks to the MyLittleBrony thing. I was curious of KYM, so I can look at any other kind of memes that I might not had heard of before that I would like to know more about. The first thing that I did was looking at the MLP:FIM article.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:39AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

The first time I ever heard of FiM and bronies was while I was in some camp in 2011. One of the people I was with told me that there were people that liked MLP that called themselves "bronies". At the time, I had no idea the show existed, so I figured it was related to the dolls from the 80s.

The first time MLP macro I saw was this:

I still had no idea there was a show currently running, so I just thought it was something taken from a TV show in the 80s. What ultimately sparked my interest was this video:

I shared it with a friend, and he told me it was from MLP. He then told me MLP was the bane of the Earth and to stay away from it at all costs. I didn't listen, and later I found the MLP article on KYM. I finally watched the show on December 24th, 2011 when my brother revealed he watched the show (he was also wearing an RD shirt). I decided to give it a shot, and watched the first two episodes. I didn't like them much, but then I watched the third and thought it was good. I decided I liked the show when I watched every episode consecutively that night. I'm not sure which one specifically did it though.

And that's how Equestria was made.

@Dac

I'm actually in agreement. After I finished watching the episodes, of course I would go seek other pony outlets (like art, fics, etc.), but that's just because I act on impulses. That sort of impulse after watching the show led me to joining the thread (and the site, I'll admit). And this community is the only reason I'm still obsessed with ponies, even with it's downs.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 12:06PM EDT

Dac wrote:

I'm going to echo Burning Phoneix here.

MLP never became what it is by itself. The internet has made it what it is today. What I mean by that is the fact that the Brony community itself makes up most of MLP's mass and gives it its gravity.

Image how differently things would be if MLP never showed up on 4chan's radar:

Nobody would have trolled with it, which means it wouldn't have caused a massive shitstorm on 4chan

Without the massive shitstorm on 4chan, people would have ignored it rather than make something out of it

If nobody made anything about it (art, stories, discussions, trolling attempts and such) it wouldn't have formed a fanbase.

If it didn't form a fanbase, it wouldn't have registered as a massive trending event on KYM

If it never trended on KYM, many of us would have never known about MLP and joined this fandom.

So it really does just come down to you guys. The show itself is average to me, I like it as much as I liked Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents. But the community (you guys) draw me into this fandom above all else. I love the artwork, I love the discussions, I love ponifying things and of course I like having you lot as friends. If the community wasn't there to provide that; like Phoneix, my reaction to MLP would have just been "nice cartoon", then I would have been on my merry way.

@Image Gallery

Yes we know. Looks like a secondary attack following the Spardo spam that happened earlier in the General forum. I guess the trolls gotta hit more than one place to maximize effect.

Nobody panic…in fact, don't react whatsoever…just wait for a mod to delete the images

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT

Regarding Mister J's historical pictures…

I'm inclined to agree with the poster who criticized putting a pony into the mix.

It's nothing short of sad that a pony was required to evoke any sort of emotion from that viewer.

Also, skill-wise, he's right: while it's a nice photo edit, it isn't difficult to do, if you have the right tools.

@Chris below me…

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 01:43PM EDT

@Chris:

I've seen that. I think it's two trolls (since only two people are part of that group on deviantart) and pretty much their entire page is comments of "'WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!"

burning_phoneix wrote:

@Chris:

I've seen that. I think it's two trolls (since only two people are part of that group on deviantart) and pretty much their entire page is comments of "'WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!"

I'm going to agree with this.

I'm just curious, is it like a brony right of passage to eventually get on an internet soapbox about humanity and the whole idea of the common good and caring for others? Because I think i finally passed that milestone today.

@burning_phoneix (among others)

I think that I am a little different from that in the sense that I actually was hooked on the show for a while. A long while. Several months (March to July, I think.) I remember during lunch breaks in the summer, I would go out to my vehicle and listen to rainbowcrash88's 8-bit versions of Winter Wrap-Up, Art of the Dress, and At The Gala for a full hour, and I'd go home and watch two or three episodes of FiM before I fell asleep every night.

I do think that talking to people online has sorta decreased that hook, but I still spend a lot of time on Pony-related material. If I'm free, then I always have a Ponibooru tab up to look at images of cute ponies. I don't watch episodes as often, but I watch them a lot more often than any other show. So I think I'm still hooked on the show. The fandom has always been interesting objectively, and I have made some friends from within the fandom, but I really think the show is what keeps me around.

I'm back. I'll have to leave for the weekend again, since it's summer. I'm going to be doing that a lot.

Anyways, I became a brony right after Season 1 ended, because my brother told me about it. He was on Bungie.net, and got exposed to it. After he got over the initial 'they are cancer' reaction, he watched some episodes, as did I. And there you have it.

@Chris:

Apparently Vinyl scratch plays Counter-strike:

Anyways i became a brony just before i started to post at the end of the 2nd Pony general thread (October last year).
I first knew about MLP in the image gallery of first world problems later.
As time went on i learned more about the show and the fandom and then when i finally started to watch episodes i became a brony

Verbose wrote:

@burning_phoneix (among others)

I think that I am a little different from that in the sense that I actually was hooked on the show for a while. A long while. Several months (March to July, I think.) I remember during lunch breaks in the summer, I would go out to my vehicle and listen to rainbowcrash88's 8-bit versions of Winter Wrap-Up, Art of the Dress, and At The Gala for a full hour, and I'd go home and watch two or three episodes of FiM before I fell asleep every night.

I do think that talking to people online has sorta decreased that hook, but I still spend a lot of time on Pony-related material. If I'm free, then I always have a Ponibooru tab up to look at images of cute ponies. I don't watch episodes as often, but I watch them a lot more often than any other show. So I think I'm still hooked on the show. The fandom has always been interesting objectively, and I have made some friends from within the fandom, but I really think the show is what keeps me around.

I'm not saying the show itself isn't good. Like I've mentioned many times, the animation is really quite good on this show. I would watch it even without the fandom but the fandom itself is what propels pones for me to higher level of obsession.

For example, I love Fire Emblem. But when I think of Fire Emblem, I think off all the fun I had in that fandom and all the friends I made.

So maybe in the future when I remember ponies, I won't think of Twilight Sparkle, AJ ,Scootaloo or Luna…

I'll think of my tl;dr wars with Verbose. My sitcom-esque conversations with Dac-Attack. Waiting for X-Singular to die via Syrian Commandos. Trolling Connor and Cite with my human supremacist ramblings. Annoying Muumi with drawing requests. Pondering the state of Daniel Vasquez's mind. Making fun of Algernon for living in Newcastle (really I pity you :P ).Overanalyzing things with Opspe and just…hanging around BSOD (Really, all we got along just fine…no weird things.)

I.
I
EEP!

(come on Phoenix, be a man and express your feelings)
I love you guys (even the ones I didn't mention, sorry)

Dac (AKA 'Master Douchebender', apparently) wrote:

I have always wondered why I read MLP fanfics, looked at fan art, and discussed it with you guys so much. It seemed weird to me that I spent a good amount of time discussing ponies and what not even though I don’t really ever watch episodes after the first time. Why do I always discuss the dumbest things I can think of regarding mlp with you guys? Season 2 has been over for a while now and I have been watching other shows, and besides talking here or a fanfic every now and then, I haven’t really been spending much time with mlp. It made me realize that besides the characters, which I find to be amazing and lovable, the show is pretty much just average on my radar. It’s you guys that drive me to ponies. I really enjoy talking to you guys. As for the fanfics, I guess it’s because I love the characters, but the episodes never really quite do it for me. The fanfics fix that. Anyways, thanks for being so damn enjoyable to talk to guys.

I've felt this way for quite some time now. It didn't take until the end of season 2 for me to figure it out though. I was thinking like this even before season 2 started. I wouldn't just call the show 'average'. It is pretty damn good, but it isn't the mind-blowing work of art the fandom makes it out to be. Sure, it's cute, it's funny, it's well written, and the characters are amazing, but it's not quite that good. I like FiM, but I'm not going to be building a shrine to 'The Great Fausticorn' anytime soon.

The fandom has always been more important to me. I think if I'd discovered the show somewhere other than KYM, I might have just watched through the first season, enjoyed it, and moved on. The old KYM brony community in the article comments was what really drew me in initially, and despite innumerable changes to it over the last year, it's still what brings me back day after day. The internet is usually a pretty harsh place, but the people discussing FiM on this site seemed to get on so well that I couldn't help but want to be a part of it all.

Other sites still play a large part in making this fandom enjoyable. I head over to EqD every day to find new comics, animations or fanfics to entertain myself, I follow a few dozen Pony Tumblrs, and I even check out Ponibooru occasionally if I'm having a really boring night. The interactions with people in this thread have always been more important than that though. So, yeah… you guys rule, so please keep doing what you're doing.

@everyone
Sorry for missing the SynchTube last night, and sorry for my recent lack of activity. I've got some pretty huge exams coming up over the next week and a half, so posting ponies isn't anywhere near the top of my priorities list right now. Expect to hear very little from me over the next 10 days.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 04:20PM EDT

I wanted to say something while writing this post, but forgot why.

So have this pic:

Ill edit this post once I remember what I was trying to write

I would of still like the show and watched it, but in more of a secretive manner if the fandom was MUCH more smaller. I most likely did it because I finally found out a group of people that are nicer or trying to be then the average internet user.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT

So I'm currently in an 'arguement' on Youtube with a Sonicfag.(I put quotations on arguement because an arguement requires actual intellectual back-and-forth, and while I try to make good and sound points in my comments, he goes straight to insults and calling me 'butthurt'.) I now realize how much I love the maturity of this fandom. (Well most anyway). All this 'peaceful arguement without any hurt feelings debate' that goes on in this fandom is right up my alley…

I miss talking with you guys when I argue with such buffoons online. I swear the world is crazy these days! Not me! It's THEM! I TELLS YA MAN!

Oh, Tavi. ahem Anyway, I would like to ask a question, if I may.
What are your favorite musicians or bands outside of the brony ones?
Aside from my absolute devotion to Queen and Tears for Fears.
I love bands that have a great operatic and dramatic quality to them. Bands like

Coheed&Cambria

and The Protomen

Bands that tell such a detailed backstory and universe to their songs. Basically all Concept Rock.
And while I do like any and all genres that can catch my attention, I see the world of pop music to be oversaturated with crap, and while I hate 'serious' artists, I still have a level of respect for musicians that don't have their head up their own arse, like LMFAO and Cobra Starship.

Anyway, the more I look at it, the more I realize the truth of this song.

TL;DR: What's yo fave music, ya'll?

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 05:42PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!