Forums / Discussion / General

170,278 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

@Sandwichman
Nope but I am saying

…………

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:26AM EST
Quote

@ Twins – a page back

Thank you for the explanation on the 65 episode thing.

Seems kinda weird to end a popular show like this one only after 65. Being an independent company Hasbro could do a full 3-season. Oh well.


As for the Derpy thing. Guys don’t worry. She is still there. She is still the character we all know and love.

We all need to be like this:

All calm, nice and friendly.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:30AM EST

Sandstone wrote:

There are not enough words to describe how I feel about all of you. Oh wait, there is:
I hate all of you. And this thread. I hate what we’ve been reduced to, and how far we’ve fallen. I am ashamed at you and what has transpired here. I don’t know if I even care about this place anymore, much less the people who occupy it. I’m sorry to say, that I am officialy torching this place. If you guys don’t fix this mess by the time I get back, you will all be reduced to a smoldering pile of ash. You have twelve hours. Get your act together.


Edit
Go ahead and downvote if you want. Like I said, I don’t care anymore. It’s worth getting negged if that means that everything is stable again.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:32AM EST
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

There are not enough words to describe how I feel about all of you. Oh wait, there is:
I hate all of you. And this thread. I hate what we’ve been reduced to, and how far we’ve fallen. I am ashamed at you and what has transpired here. I don’t know if I even care about this place anymore, much less the people who occupy it. I’m sorry to say, that I am officialy torching this place. If you guys don’t fix this mess by the time I get back, you will all be reduced to a smoldering pile of ash. You have twelve hours. Get your act together.


Edit
Go ahead and downvote if you want. Like I said, I don’t care anymore. It’s worth getting negged if that means that everything is stable again.

I’m not sure what’s more pathetic. The fact you posted this or the fact it has positive kramas.

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 11:36AM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 11:32AM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

I’m not sure what’s more pathetic. The fact you posted this or the fact it has positive kramas.

Reverse psychology success?

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:35AM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

I’m not sure what’s more pathetic. The fact you posted this or the fact it has positive kramas.

I gave it to him and I gave you one too….

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:37AM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Oh, according to EqD there’s no new episode this week.
Dammit.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:40AM EST
Quote

What in the name of the Sisters happened on this thread? Can someone give me a short version of the story?

I’m morbidly curious about the chaos going on here

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:42AM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Oh, according to EqD there’s no new episode this week.
Dammit.





damn it,I have to wait one more week.seriously a week is long and,i’m kinda bored at school.nuff said

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 11:57AM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 11:51AM EST

@ Ephemeral_Athambia

Derpy episode ‘The last roundup’ has been modified.

- Voice change
- Derpy eye change
- Derpy not being named

All of this caused a major shitstorm, arguments, etc. As tensions continued to rise people started going after each other.

And here we are.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:58AM EST

Ephemeral_Athambia wrote:

What in the name of the Sisters happened on this thread? Can someone give me a short version of the story?

I’m morbidly curious about the chaos going on here

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:58AM EST
Quote

I know! Let’s watch this comic instead.

Will Twilight be able to save Ponyville? Will the tyrannical Princess Celestia succeed in conquering Canterlot? Find out next time on PONYBALL Z…!

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:00PM EST
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

There are not enough words to describe how I feel about all of you. Oh wait, there is:
I hate all of you. And this thread. I hate what we’ve been reduced to, and how far we’ve fallen. I am ashamed at you and what has transpired here. I don’t know if I even care about this place anymore, much less the people who occupy it. I’m sorry to say, that I am officialy torching this place. If you guys don’t fix this mess by the time I get back, you will all be reduced to a smoldering pile of ash. You have twelve hours. Get your act together.


Edit
Go ahead and downvote if you want. Like I said, I don’t care anymore. It’s worth getting negged if that means that everything is stable again.

You even hate Algernon? But… I’m Algernon…

That’s it. I’m leaving this thread forever*. Goodbye, everyone.

* Note that ‘forever’ in the context of Pony General rarely means longer than 5 hours.


Seriously though, do you not think this is a bit of an overreaction? I don’t even know what everyone did to get you so worked up. Is it because of the Derpy fiasco? ‘Cause I’m pretty sure that’s all wrapped up now (well, the problem still exists, but the rage has subsided). Hasbro pulled some crazy shit, everyone bawled their eyes out/ raged/ couldn’t find any fucks to give, and now we’re all good.

And how have we fallen? I’d say things are going relatively well. At least everyone’s raging at evil corporations instead of raging at each other for once. I’d say that’s a step in the right direction.

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 12:06PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:05PM EST
Quote

Everyone seems to be confused and weary about Derpy still. I said something a few pages back, but no one listened. When someone else said something similar the following page, everyone got normal for at least a page or so. Let me just say this again:

But is it Hasbro or Studio B’s fault? In my opinion, no, they just don’t want to get in trouble. Really, it’s the “soccer mom”-like broneis who can’t handle topics like Derpy. Just a vocal minority (over 20,000 could be a minority) who just feel like topics like these are considered offensive. Really, I feel sorry for Hasbro and Studio B for putting up with this.

It’s really hard when the voices of reason in this thread also get mucked in the dilemma as well; I feel like I’m the only one who has a leveled head. Everyone, just be happy, no matter what happens, because ya know what? We always have each others back.

Rinsan OUT!

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:23PM EST
Quote

Wait there was a shit storm? I did not know because I am to lazy to get mad at my friends only the fact hasbro is taking our Derpy, but I am sure things will be back to normally, hopefully.

Honestly I don’t read all those posts that causes the shit storm it is way to much for me to read….
So basically I can give less of a care about the shit storm it is healthy to have one once in a while.

But not to much though.
Edit: I don’t think it was really classified as a shit storm the discussion seemed much more classy and civil then what I imagine a shit storm would be.

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 01:04PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:44PM EST
Quote

Was just over at the comment section of the MLP entry.

All I wanna say is, people gotta give Hasbro some slack. After all, they are multi-billion dollar company. Their goal is profits.

Writing angry letters, emailing them isn’t going to do anything positive.

I completely understand being upset over these changes to Derpy. But Hasbro did what they thought would be best.

Feb 25, 2012 at 01:14PM EST

Hail, ye fine folk of KYM.

I am Brownmane, traveling swordstalion and wordsmith extraordinaire, at your service. I’ve been lurking in the background, silently watching for quite a time. So why step into the light now, so very late to the party? I could, of course, conjure up an invigorating tale of mighty heroics, distressed damsels and lecherous acts to answer that question, but as with many things, the true reason is disappointingly simple: I have been rather bored and lonely as of late. Now, that might not sound like much, but hey, there are worse reasons to seek contact with fellow creatures. I hope.

You’ll doubtlessly want to hear a little bit about me, this mysterious armoured figure who suddenly emerges from some dark corner and leaves the whole room silent and slightly unnerved. I hail from the northern realm of Finland, where winters are long and harsh and summers short but sweet. If it isn’t apparent from my garb and demeanor, I’ll have you know that I’m an archetypal Knight in Sour Armour and a Chivalrous Pervert . I’ve only seen twenty winters, but I find myself feeling like a grumpy old veteran far more often than I probably should. I forge words into prose, as you’ve seen, but I also dabble in the visual arts. You’ve likely not seen my works from either category, however, unless the words ”Timothy the Knight” or ”Mock War” ring any bells. As for my interests, I’ve a liking for all things medieval. What an unexpected shocker, I know. I’ve also played video games (primarily on the PC) for most of my existence. I partake in various activities many would describe as ”nerdy” or ”geeky” or whatever the expression is these days. Oh, and pony, of course.

Hopefully I’ve not bored you to tears with my overly long introduction, but since I’m here, I may as well ramble on a bit, no? But, this IS getting to be a bit too long winded, so I’ll just stop here for now.

I’m looking forward to conversing with you fine folk.

Feb 25, 2012 at 01:16PM EST
Quote

^ that belongs here

now hurry up and post a pony (bonus points for woona or derpy)

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 01:19PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 01:19PM EST
Quote

Alrighty then,

[Insert Luna quote here]

Sorry about the misplacement. I obviously haven’t lurked ’nuff. But ah, new members are always prone to faux pas, yes?

And yes, I have a tendency to write long spiels.
dealwithit.jpg

Feb 25, 2012 at 01:32PM EST
Quote

Now that everypony has settled down. TIME FOR SOME TECHNO FILLIES!


AND WELCOME TO THE HERD BUDDY!

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 01:44PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 01:40PM EST
Quote

@ The new guy.

Hello and welcome to the pony thread.


The trick is to register account, do nothing for a day, give out tons of Karma, post a ton of comments on pictures and entries no one looks at. (Different ones – do not spam same entry or pic)

And then by the time u get to the pony thread, u are a gold member:

Karma like that:
picture created and posted on my wall by Captain Troper

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 02:03PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 01:55PM EST

Berry Punch wrote:

So many newfags, so little time.

P.S. I’m back bitches!

Feb 25, 2012 at 02:07PM EST
Quote

404 user not found wrote:

or you can just troll for a while like i did and somehow become a conversationalist

Or you can loose a challenge and become a rabbits bitch

Feb 25, 2012 at 02:10PM EST
Quote

Berry Punch wrote:

So many newfags, so little time.

P.S. I’m back bitches!


  ▲
▲ ▲
too easy,…piece of cake

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 03:26PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 03:20PM EST

Epicus The Warrior wrote:


  ▲
▲ ▲
too easy,…piece of cake

Try This

Or this

Feb 25, 2012 at 03:37PM EST
Quote

THE GAME

Am I doing it right ?

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 03:46PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 03:39PM EST

The quoted post has been deleted.

Nothing really,i’m just simply bored

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 03:57PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 03:47PM EST

Epicus The Warrior wrote:

Nothing really,i’m just simply bored

Read a book or something.

Knowledge is power!



Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 03:52PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 03:48PM EST

@Schellu
I’m not a big fan of reading.just saying.I prefer listening or making music

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 04:04PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 03:58PM EST

Brownmane the Knight wrote:

Hail, ye fine folk of KYM.

I am Brownmane, traveling swordstalion and wordsmith extraordinaire, at your service. I’ve been lurking in the background, silently watching for quite a time. So why step into the light now, so very late to the party? I could, of course, conjure up an invigorating tale of mighty heroics, distressed damsels and lecherous acts to answer that question, but as with many things, the true reason is disappointingly simple: I have been rather bored and lonely as of late. Now, that might not sound like much, but hey, there are worse reasons to seek contact with fellow creatures. I hope.

You’ll doubtlessly want to hear a little bit about me, this mysterious armoured figure who suddenly emerges from some dark corner and leaves the whole room silent and slightly unnerved. I hail from the northern realm of Finland, where winters are long and harsh and summers short but sweet. If it isn’t apparent from my garb and demeanor, I’ll have you know that I’m an archetypal Knight in Sour Armour and a Chivalrous Pervert . I’ve only seen twenty winters, but I find myself feeling like a grumpy old veteran far more often than I probably should. I forge words into prose, as you’ve seen, but I also dabble in the visual arts. You’ve likely not seen my works from either category, however, unless the words ”Timothy the Knight” or ”Mock War” ring any bells. As for my interests, I’ve a liking for all things medieval. What an unexpected shocker, I know. I’ve also played video games (primarily on the PC) for most of my existence. I partake in various activities many would describe as ”nerdy” or ”geeky” or whatever the expression is these days. Oh, and pony, of course.

Hopefully I’ve not bored you to tears with my overly long introduction, but since I’m here, I may as well ramble on a bit, no? But, this IS getting to be a bit too long winded, so I’ll just stop here for now.

I’m looking forward to conversing with you fine folk.

I can already tell I’m going to hate you.

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:02PM EST
Quote

@Brownmane – You, sir, sound like a pony with a majestic mind. Your introduction was exquisite, and your prose found nothing lacking. I applaud you. (And I would put up a gif that seems to be commonly used in such occurrences, but I am still in extreme-newfag mode)

In other news,

Edit: Dang Nabbit. I go eat some lunch, and as I click submit, I knew people were going to have posted…

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 04:04PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 04:03PM EST
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

I can already tell I’m going to hate you.

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:04PM EST
Quote

Schellu wrote:

@ Ephemeral_Athambia

Derpy episode ‘The last roundup’ has been modified.

- Voice change
- Derpy eye change
- Derpy not being named

All of this caused a major shitstorm, arguments, etc. As tensions continued to rise people started going after each other.

And here we are.

Yeah, the situation sucks, but that’s what happens when you live in the over political correct world of today.

I swear, crap like this wouldn’t have happened back in the 80’s should this show came out then, but nope, it’s out in the uber PC world of the 2000’s. Sigh.

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:05PM EST
Quote

@Gigatoast

You’re soooo gonna love what I typed up for you…Once I can figure out how to divide up one post into 3 or 4…

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:15PM EST

I am a little disappointed that you decided to take that up so quickly without considering the fact that that I’ve studied this for 6 years in universities, taken dozens of courses on the matter from world-renown professors, have read hundreds of studies on the matter, and have the lifetime experience of being a part of a decidedly obvious and disadvantaged minority myself that many of you simply don’t have and don’t know the experiences of. I was just going to let it go, but I’ve been too silent in trying to stay neutral: Even though I’m disappointed in some aspects of the change, the change was needed. And for more than just business reasons.
 
Also, Daniel seems to think that we should act a certain way or not be certain bronies. I agree with burning: you’re not explaining it well, even now. But what you say sounds condescending (because there was a “right” answer to your question,) so I’m not going to bother with it. I’ve always told myself that I can adjust to the trend of the thread or just GTFO. The same goes for you, even if you pull seniority in following the fandom, on KYM, and in age and life experiences.

And we’re not in a shitstorm. Things were heated, sure, but like someone said, it was toward an outward entity, and there really wasn’t much rebuttal until now.


 
Anyway, I’ll just address what Gigatoast posted on “derp.”

  • Simply, it took on a negative connotation. Therefore, it currently has a negative connotation. That connotation is offensive to a group of people. Given the demographic and the aims of the show, it is unsuitable.

For more depth:

Ok then, please explain to me how the name “Derpy” is offensive, or even relevant to the show’s target audience or anyone who could supposedly be hurt by it

“Derp” has taken on a negative connotation. You don’t have to be on the Internet or know the words origin to be offended by it, because there is the innate sound of derp. Just because it originated from South Park (which should tip you off that it’s offensive,) doesn’t mean that it wasn’t said before. It was: the variant being “derr/duhr.” That comes from people who aren’t capable of articulating their speech because of some mental disability. So as long as “derp” is associated with “derr/duhr,” then it will be offensive regardless of what connotation is no longer has on the Web or in Bronydom.

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:16PM EST

Take “nigger” for instance. Comes from “negro.” “Nigger” has historically come to be a slur against black people in the US. “Nigga” has come from shortening that, and black people took it to be a term of endearment.

  1. Although I don’t take this approach, you shouldn’t call a black person “mah nigga” or the like unless you’re really close or you’re black yourself. You don’t know the experience of living as a black person everyday, so you shouldn’t take something meant to be an insult and turn it around. I don’t think black people should, honestly, but at least they know the experience.
  2. It stems from a racial slur that incites so much emotion and stress, that the logical approach is to avoid it. You shouldn’t get offended by it though. I didn’t mean anything by it.

You weren’t there those times I got called “nigger,” despite being more refined than most anyone in the South. You weren’t there that time my mother told me about the lynchings that happened in the South. You weren’t there that time the workers at Wal-Mart followed me around the store…or the time that happened at the other store. Not because of the way I dressed, mind you: I figure khakis and jeans at my waist and a suitably fitting t-shirt or polo shirt is somewhat mainstream and unassuming. Or the time those workers whispered “I hope they get anthrax…” after 9/11 when we passed by an open bag of gummi bears and they think we opened it. Or that time I was walking on campus where I’m a student at and was stopped by a total of 4 police officers, because I looked suspicious. Or that time where that girl said that she could never imagine dating someone black. Or all of those times where a person pulls their kid closer to them when I walk by. I’d hit the character limit if I kept going.

And even if you were there, then you’d know it wasn’t you or some aspect of you that made people do those things. Get over it? Oh, people do. It’s currently the reason why researchers, despite controlling for obvious confounders like socioeconomic status, black people live 5 or so years less than white people. Same for many minorities in the US. And it’s not 5 years sooner because of the same things, no. It’s 5 years sooner, because that 5 years is average. That 5 years comes from those who have to deal with high blood pressure, anxiety, and earlier onset of Alzheimer’s and/or dementia (something my grandmother died from) for 20 years before dying. It’s 5 years that takes the 90 year old grandfather and the man who died of a heart attack who was relatively healthy at 45 into account.

These are things that aren’t the causes of death or disease in African countries. Some die much more quickly due to being killed, malaria, malnutrition, or warfare. But some things, like infant mortality and low-birth weight rates is much, much better in even impoverished African countries and villages, because of the stress that ages the female reproductive system at a higher rate in African-American women.

That is what “just dealing with it” does to a person. To all minorities. Homosexual people have greater rates of suicide and many other conditions. Many other ethnic minorities in the US but not in their countries of origin. Heck, short people have worse health outcomes along with job placement and income holding occupation constant, but, of course, they’re just being oversensitive too, right? You can’t prove that. Or maybe short people just aren’t as capable as people of average height.
 
You should totally run with that, by the way. Sarcasm aside, correlation does not equal causation, but it is one of Hill Criteria for Causality, and it is a strong one. Also, the alternative explanations is a criteria as well. What is the alternative here?
 
Yes, I pulled out the race/minority card, because I’ve never been mentally handicapped. I’m speaking from my own experience in which hearing and reading the word “nigger” or it’s variants makes me think back to all of those experiences and plenty more including ones that my parents, and even worse, my grandparents dealt with; The stuff that eventually kills us, even if we don’t smoke, drink, and eat healthy: All stuff that describes most of my family, but we die fairly quickly anyway.

Last edited Feb 25, 2012 at 04:25PM EST
Feb 25, 2012 at 04:17PM EST

And who could be hurt by it? Those who have different mental capabilities.
 
I worked full-time for a few months with such people. People who make “derp” sounds, because they can’t help it and because they have problems articulating what they want to say. People who are genuinely upset when people make fun of them. They are genuinely upset when people make fun of them. You’ve never had to console a person in moments like that. You and they know they’re different, and they know that individuals will never change.
 
But it hurts a lot to get that in a systematic way, and be told that you’re being too sensitive by those who didn’t even make those remarks.

But Derpy wasn’t making fun of them. She was just a clumsy pony.

I agree wholeheartedly. Then don’t use the word “derp” and make her voice sound less stereotypically like a person with some disabilities.

Which is exactly what Hasbro did. They didn’t even give her a different name. They haven’t removed her gaff from Feeling Pinkie Keen or Luna Eclipsed. They didn’t remove her from The Last Roundup. They didn’t “kill” her. They made her more suitable for a demographic that is still forming their view of the world, and given that it is, at the end of the day, 20,000 bronies or 2,000,000 bronies, My Little Pony under Hasbro, it is not suitable for the show.


Then explain to me how this is a big enough issue to warrant a major alteration. Then, just for funsies, go watch some other kids shows being aired both on The Hub and other stations and tell me there’s nothing offensive you could extrapolate from them.

  • They changed her voice, the extend of the derp in the eyes, and didn’t say her name. You’re overreacting to say “major alteration.”
  • Big enough issue? I explained it above.
  • Watch other shows on The Hub or other stations?
    • Other stations have different values and different audiences.
      • Also, is the point you’re making “Since other shows do it, it must be OK?” I know you’re better than that.
    • They’re not My Little Pony. Don’t forget what the show has been historically and what it represents to Hasbro. Cognitive dissonance is a strong source of confusion, and the same situation in a different context can yield an entirely different effect.

You have to think about things like this in a more complex manner if it doesn’t immediately strike you. People are idiots sometimes. A lot of people don’t know as much as they say, me included. But this is my area. This is what I love to talk about and explain (i.e., see this post,) and this is what I hope to do for a living for a long while. This I’m fully confident in. Also, figure out why people are upset. If your answer is fairly simple, and your opponent seems to be somewhat intelligent, then your answer is probably too simple.

Feb 25, 2012 at 04:18PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!