Forums / Discussion / General

168,547 total conversations in 5,398 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

I was just watching MLP FiM with my two nieces today and I was wondering: do any of you have nieces or nephews who watch the show with you? (or children or younger siblings)

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:34PM EDT

Disturbed B wrote:

I was just watching MLP FiM with my two nieces today and I was wondering: do any of you have nieces or nephews who watch the show with you? (or children or younger siblings)

What a coinky dink!
I watch the show with two nieces too!
I also watch it with my younger sister she’s 16 and she likes the show just as much as me.

@Deadparrot222
I am leaning towards orphan Scoots as well. But then again who is her guardian? Because Faust said she is not related to Dash in blood nor she is a guardian of the little orange pegasus. So who could be taking care of her? They need to explain that at least. :|

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

“The Parasprites are back! Quick Pinkie, get your instruments!”

“Ugh, it’s just impossible to get a Tuba or an accordian this time of the week. All I could find were these.”

“Guess they’ll just have to do.”

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT

Disturbed B wrote:

>That feel when you’re the only person of all your friends and family who knows about internet culture as much as yourself.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 05:51PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

>That feel when you’re the only person of all your friends and family who knows about internet culture as much as yourself.

See more on Know Your Meme
That feel.
I know it.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT

Disturbed B wrote:

well, i have a 7 year old little brother and he is aware of the existance of the show. he has expressed interest in it, and i’m certain he’d love it if i had him watch it, but i’m kinda afraid to do that to him. my fear is that little kids aren’t exactly the most reasonable and understanding bunch, and my little brother isn’t very tactful, or good at keeping secrets. i wouldn’t want him being ridiculed by his peers because he watches a show “full of girly cooties”.
idk how my parents would take it either, since they don’t even know i watch it.

@RandomMan

for the longest time, i was seemingly the only person at my school who was a brony, or even was that well versed in Net-culture.
eventuall though, someone who i was little more then acquantences with revealed that they had recently become a brony, and from there we became good friends and discovered that we both spend a lot of time online. since then, we’ve gradually found more and more bronies and netizens until at this point, i know about 11 such individuals.

of course, i’m only good friends with four of them, and not all my old friends play well with bronies. so i’m kinda split between two rival camps: my old friends, where almost none of them are bronies and the subject encounters varying degrees of controversy, or my newer friends who are either bronies or very open netizens.

i dunno lol

EDIT: ninja’d, lol

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:06PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:05PM EDT

@Jolly Jew

I’ve defended cosplayers and such in the past, so my position on that is similar to what the others have said, but I wanted to at least show some support for your effort to provide a better argument this time. Your opinion is just as valid as any of ours, but it’s always a good idea to put a little thoughtfulness into expressing it.

@RandomMan

Well, that’s unfortunate. My younger brother knows as much about web culture as me (if not more), and I rather successfully introduced him and my other siblings to ponies. He’s probably the only non-brony you’ll ever see with a McDonald’s Rarity hanging from his backpack.

I’ve a younger sister about 17 who watches the show with me all the time as well. She’s definitely a brony/pegasister/whatever. We have a lot of fun together with all the fandom’s offerings. Yep, my family is alright by me.

Here, have a comic for that.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:12PM EDT

@Relatives & MLP

My sister actually watches the show on Netflix quite frequently, and my brother is a brony himself (he was the one that convinced me to watch the show, he just doesn’t know it). My parents are also surprisingly well educated on the fandom.

I’m still “in the closet” about it, mainly because they don’t exactly approve of my brother’s liking of it.

Vaguely related image:

D’awwwwww

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:21PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT

@Dan
Cosplayers are actually pretty damn well-groomed and taken care of sometimes. Like this girl:

@Random
All my friends are either tolerant but don’t like bronies or outright hate them (Although with a lot less ignorance than the average haters), so I’m not about to admit to them anytime soon. At least they’re not like my dick brother. He’s one of those dumbass ignorant haters, the one who keeps saying “You’re all fags”

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:25PM EDT

@Jolly Jew:

Normally I’d say something about not judging others, living and let living, withholding your opinions on somebody until you know more about them, and not confronting something somebody does if it causes no harm, but today I’m just gonna go ahead and say don’t judge others, live and let live, withhold your opinions until you’re familiar with something, and don’t confront people about harmless stuff.

@Fifths, regarding JJ:

[Duke voice]You have balls of steel![/Duke voice]

@Relatives watching the show:

My older brother and my mother. Both are bronies, my mother far less so than me and my brother. He’s the one that introduced me to it, actually, after he got over the initial ‘holy fuck, these guys are creepy’ reaction.

@Fifths music:

Shut up and take my sub.

@Random:

Yeah, none of my friends are well-versed in the internet at all. But they all fucking suck anyway, so who cares?! As it is, I enjoy chatting over the internet to people in real life, because you guys tend to not be dicks too often. You’re also generally smarter than them, and all of that good stuff.

@Dan:

Comics regarding siblings that are adorable?

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:34PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:33PM EDT

hey this is kinda random but…
recently i’ve been getting more and more into fanfiction, where before i’ve never really felt any interest in the stuff. i want to read Fallout: Equestria, but i’ve never actually played any of the Fallout games (blame my wallet and laziness for that one). i only have a vague idea of the franchise’s storyline (essentially boiling down to “people survived a global thermonuclear war by living in sheltered underground bunkers named Vaults”), so should i play the games first, or does the story stand on its own well enough?

plus, if i were to play the games, is there a particular one i should play?

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:34PM EDT

@August:

Fallout: Equestria is very loosely based around Fallout 3, Project Horizons is based very loosely of Fallout: New Vegas. I’d say you don’t need to play the games, since the background of the fics is far different from that of the games, and the stories are different, as well. It’s not a glorified walkthrough, but it does take certain sequences from the game. Not enough that you need to play the game to appreciate it, though, and it might make the sequences slightly better if you haven’t played the games.

So, overall, I’d say go ahead and read it, because it doesn’t tie in too much with the game.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:38PM EDT

@Ric
I think it would be kinda funny to have Cheerilee taking care of her as a foster parent just as a nod to the fact that they were sisters in G3.
The main issue is the fact that not only have we not seen Scoot’s family, but that she also has never even mentioned a family.
Not even a ‘See ya later, guys. I’ve got to go home’ that would imply that she has one at all.

@Random
I wish that were true for me…
I have a little brother who does nothing but yell out stupid meme crap at random moments for no reason and without any provocation.
Basically, imagine every annoying stereotype for immature 15-year-olds packaged into one person and that’s pretty much him.
Yes, YOLO is included in that and yes, I hate him for it.
I have no idea if he’s aware of ponies at all, but there’s no way I’m bringing it up with him.
I know him too well to jump into that shark tank.

@August
A vague familiarity should be more than enough to allow you to enjoy the story.
You may not get a couple of the little jokes based on some of the game mechanics (I lost it when she kept the skill magazine because ’It’s not like I can only read it once’), but by-and-large Fallout: Equestria can stand on its own.
That said, I would recommend playing the games simply because they are great games in their own right!

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:48PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:42PM EDT

@Dead Parrot
I think they have already hinted who is in Scootaloo’s family.

@Random
I have a younger brother who watches the show, we don’t really talk about it allot. I joke here and there about it but we just keep it to ourselves, I just enjoy it in my spare time.

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:51PM EDT

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@August:

Fallout: Equestria is very loosely based around Fallout 3, Project Horizons is based very loosely of Fallout: New Vegas. I’d say you don’t need to play the games, since the background of the fics is far different from that of the games, and the stories are different, as well. It’s not a glorified walkthrough, but it does take certain sequences from the game. Not enough that you need to play the game to appreciate it, though, and it might make the sequences slightly better if you haven’t played the games.

So, overall, I’d say go ahead and read it, because it doesn’t tie in too much with the game.

kk, thanks!
i’ll start reading it right away :D

@DeadParrot222

i know some people who are like that, and i hate them for it too.
one of them is, unfortunately, a brony. and he never misses a single opportunity to talk about ponies with everyone, especially non-bronies. it’s frustrating, because he gets in everyone’s face about the fandom and now everyone thinks we’re all as crazy as him. and when i say he takes advanatage of every opportunity, I MEAN IT. he brings pony dolls to school every day, draws art in class, mentions the show constantly, puts up posters around the halls, everything.

thanks to him, i’m forced to hide being a brony because it’d be like commiting social suicide. the other bronies at my school agree, he takes things way too far.

/rant

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT

@DeadParrot
Regarding your little brother, I know that feeling.
Add autism and depression and you have my little brother. Telling him bout ponies is a Pandora’s Box I wish I could shut.

Pic unrelated:

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 06:54PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT

I post stuff wrote:

Started watching The Walking Dead.

Nope, not scary at all.

Zombies don’t scare me. Spiders, on the other hand…

Jun 21, 2012 at 06:56PM EDT

In my family, I’m the only one who watches the show, let alone knows that its popular among male viewers. I told them about bronies once, they didnt really respond drastically to it though :/.
@Tim
Well chickens are birds too, so i guess they are in the same family

@DeadParrot
Must be awful, does he visit (nearly throws up) 9gag?
Do said jokes include (puke touches uvula) arrow to the knee jokes?
And does he sing Frida-BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGH

Must be awful for you bro (cleans screen of remaining puke)
You are a brave man, I SALUTE YOU!

@Fridge Logic
Arachnophobics. We don’t care if they’re big or small.
Spiders are fukin scary.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 07:13PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 06:59PM EDT

@Tim
I still love the ‘raised by chickens’ angle, too.

@August
Have fun with FO:E!
Easily my favorite story from MLP:FIM, but man is it a doozy!
Make sure you have plenty of time to read because you won’t want to stop very often! =)

@Windigo
Sorry to hear.
I sometimes wish my brother had some condition because then we would at least be able to see some reason behind his behavior.
As it stands, he’s just an ass to be an ass.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 07:07PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 07:06PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Zombies don’t scare me. Spiders, on the other hand…

I really like spiders.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 07:13PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 07:12PM EDT

I post stuff wrote:

I really like spiders.

How do you do it?
They have hairy legs and stuff…
Actually, I’m sure this video will explain it

Jun 21, 2012 at 07:16PM EDT

@DeadParrot222
thanks! i’m kinda surprised i’ve never been into fanfiction before.
i mean, traditionally i’ve always loved to read. before the internet, my primary loves of this world were books and video games. i’m kinda one of those people who takes hobbies to an almost fanatical extreme, doing them to the exclusion of almost everything else, then becoming bored after a while and moving on to the next thing. so i might do nothing but read for a few months, then play nothing but video games for the next few months, then spend 95% of my time on Youtube next… you see the pattern.

a few weeks ago, i had my computer and ipod taken away by my parents (due to my grades) again, so i used my little brother’s 3DS to browse the internet. since DS’s don’t have enough virtual memory to use KYM or watch videos, i stay on wikis and websites like that. the last time this kinda thing happened, i spent a month browsing TV Tropes. these last few weeks, i discovered the joys of fanfiction.

before two weeks ago, i’ve only read one short fanfic. now, according to my FIMfiction account, i’ve read somewhere in the ballpark of 650,000 words worth of story. and i know for a fact that i’ve read more, because i read a few stories while logged off, not to mention everything on GoogleDocs.

Deadparrot, you write fanfiction, don’tcha? could i get a look at it? :3

Jun 21, 2012 at 07:26PM EDT

Hey, guys, want to hear something fucking amazing?

I ACTUALLY FINISHED NEARLY COMPLETED A FREAKING FIC! By that, I mean I still have to proofread, check some spelling, check to see I didn’t fuck the hooves and ponies deal up, etc. I have the story written down, it just might need some editing, and I’m not entirely sure if I should add on to some places, or add a whole new segment to the middle.

Also, I finished another one I just wrote up when I was bored a while ago, but I haven’t posted it because I keep forgetting too. It’s in the same stage as the one mentioned above, in that edits and shit still need to be done.

Godfall and Trial By Fire

To be honest, I’m actually surprised I finished Godfall first, since it’s the fic I’ve started last. I have about ten sitting in purgatory that are partially finished, and I’m too lazy to motivate myself to finish them.

If you find anything worthy of criticism, you can go fuck yourself tell me, and I’ll fix it up. If the whole thing is worth of criticism, you can go fuck yourself I’ll go ahead and commit suicide try to fix it.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 08:16PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 08:15PM EDT

@August
Well, I wrote one story!
Here it is: TINY WINGS
I always like hearing what people think of it so let me know either here or on the story’s page!

I was kinda the opposite going into fanfics.
It’s not that I don’t like reading, but more that I could always find something to do that I liked more.
The only real books I’ve read since high school are the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series and Harry Potter.
Then I went for a Math degree in college so there wasn’t any kind of reading requirement there.
FO:E is probably the longest story I’ve ever read.
(I think someone counted it up and determined that its word count was higher than the famously dense War and Peace!)
It’s a massive undertaking but totally worth it!
Added for epic-ness:

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:24PM EDT

@DeadParrot222
I read through the first chapter, great story! And you got on eqd too, nice job :D.
You should write more fics, whether its based scootaloo or not!
@Lasers
I skimmed your fics, they seem good :D Hope to see more in the future :3

Unrelated:

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 08:42PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 08:34PM EDT

@August
I’m working on a series:
I have Sunset:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/23620/Sunset

And Lunar Dawn:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/26328/Lunar-Dawn

Sunset is the prequel story to Lunar Dawn, and gives insight to the story’s background. It’s told from a third-person perspective surrounding Celestia.

Lunar Dawn is loosely based upon the 1983 war film, “Red Dawn”. Currently, Part IV is still in the works, but it won’t be long until it’s out.

I’ve got one or two more planned in the series.
Oh, and I appreciate comments.
PM me if you wish.
--

@Deadparrot
As for books, I’ve read several. Though I’m into classic lit, I am reading “Game of Thrones” right now.
So far so good. I’m quite enjoying it.

But mfw when I realized Daenerys was 13:

Now have some Star Wars poni

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 08:49PM EDT

@Windigo
Don’t forget this version!
I love Rainbow Dash Presents!

@Mega
Thanks for reading, but the first chapter is really just the lead-in.
The real meat of the story starts in Chapter 2. =)

I might write something else in the future but I really need to be motivated to do it.
I really liked my idea behind Tiny Wings and it still took me four months to finish.
If I come up with another idea that I like enough, I’ll be sure to share!

@Lasers
I’ll look over your stories for you if you’d like, but could you give us a kind of general summary?
(Happy, adventure, sad, grimdark?)
Oh, and if you turn on comments on GoogleDocs, people can mark corrections straight on the page which makes them really easy to find for you.

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:53PM EDT

Well if everyone else is making fanfics, I might as make one too…
I’ll call it Derpy Hooves v.s. Equestria (as a parody of Scott Pilgrim v.s. the world)
Also I found this:

Jun 21, 2012 at 08:59PM EDT

@Deadparrot:

Godfall is sort of adventure, and has a darkish setting, without the grimdark themes. By that, I mean the worst that dies is a nonexistent being, so it’s not guts and gore. It still has violence. Trial By Fire is a slice of life-ish sad-fic about Spitfire, who is damn awesome.

Also, I knew I forgot to turn something on with all the buttons and shit. I tried setting Comments to open, but all I got was a Notification options deal.

Anyways, I’ll read Tiny Wings eventually. Probably before I read FO: E… and Project Horizons… and Past Sins… and every other thing I have to read.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:16PM EDT

@Zarathh

At first I was like:

Then I heard snip’s voice and i was like:

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:22PM EDT

@fics
before he can, I’m gonna post Joe Amethyst’s “Numb”
He hasn’t posted here in a bit, so I see why.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/28789/A-Long-Time-Coming
It’s shaping up pretty well.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT

Now about fallout Equestria…I’m still confused on how they can even use guns. I understand how they can use Melee weapons by picking them up with their mouths and unarmed weapons by putting them on their whooves but i still don’t understand how they can successfully discharge firearms.

Can somepony explain this to me?

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:30PM EDT

@Seal:

Earth ponies and pegasi (unicorns use levitation) have battle saddles, which are able to be operated by the pony themselves and have the guns and shit mounted on them. I don’t actually know how they work, I just know how they have the guns and everything attached because my brother told me. It’s a pretty smart solution, to be honest.

Anyways, I figured out how to allow comments on the thing. Fucking technology and being too fucking obvious for me to figure out.

Jun 21, 2012 at 09:38PM EDT

Speaking of stories, I have a few. Two of which are on EqD.
As well as this one, which I’ll finish up and submit soon.

@Megalolzors below

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 10:06PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 09:46PM EDT

Alright Every one pony, this took a while to make, but I made my own fic…
Its Called:
THE FIC
narrated by twilight sparkle
Once there was an ugly Parasprite
He was so ugly that everyone died
The End.

Rate this on a 1-5

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 09:55PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 09:55PM EDT

@Seal
Well, it depends.
In Lunar Dawn I tackled that issue. Holding it was explained by a large hoof trigger and handle. Now, smaller firearms (such as the pistol) can be fired from one hoof. But for rifles, a special bipod was needed, that would fold out to a stable positon (prone; crouch; stand) for non-flying characters. Also, they would rest their rifles on a surface (such as low terrain or a crate). Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash can also hover while holding the rifle sometimes, negating the need for the bipod.

@Megalolzors
That was the best story ever. 9999/1.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 10:17PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:16PM EDT

@Seal & Lasers
As I recall, the battle saddles only took the place of the heaviest weapons: chain guns, grenade launchers, missile launchers, and high-powered sniper rifles.
Edit for example:

For smaller arms, I believe they explained early on that they are adapted to be fired with the tongue with special grips and braces to mitigate kick.
Then, of course, unicorns get all the cheats.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:24PM EDT

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback.
I may have to make a sequel…
THE FIC II
ATTACK OF THE PARASPRITE CLONES

@Earth ponies and pegasi holding guns

Well if Pinkie Pie could do it, so can all the other ponies

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 10:38PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:37PM EDT

Eh, pony fics. I’ve started around five and finished all of zero of them. I’ve kind of got this thing where I start to hate anything I’ve written after awhile, and usually that point comes before I’ve completed the work, so I just abandon it and spiral into self-loathing.

Anyway, I haven’t read terribly many pony fics myself, mostly on account of the fact that I like reading stories that aren’t completely fucking terrible, which is what 90% of fanfiction is. I read a few of the big names however, and they tend to at least be competent, although rarely deserving the praise that gets heaped on them. Still haven’t gotten around to Fallout Equestria because honestly, I don’t see how a crossover can be that good despite what people say about it. Also, the fact that it rivals War and Peace for length doesn’t encourage me.

I don’t even need to find the post to know that DeadParrot is promoting Tiny Wings, so I’ll just give my succinct review for anyone who might be considering it: Pretty damn good. If it wasn’t for the 4th chapter in which DeadParrot copiously masturbates a fictional character, it would be clear and away the best mlp fic I’ve ever read. What do I mean by copiously maturbating a fictional character? Guess you’ll just have to read to find out ;)

@Popper reading game of thrones

Nah, I hope you enjoy it man. I just finished the third book myself.

@DeadParrot below me

And why, good sir, can’t it be both?

Hmm, using the negative aspect of a work to get people to see the positive aspect. Bizarre, but strangely efficent. Maybe that’s why there is so many plagues, murder, and sex in the bible.

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT

@Fifths
Hey, I only brought it up (this time) because August asked.
I totally wouldn’t have said anything otherwise!

FO:E is definitely a time commitment, that’s for damn sure.
Give it a try, though.
I know that hype is often misleading coughMyLittleDashiecough but in this case, it is well-deserved.
I’m not going to claim that it’s the greatest work of fiction to ever grace God’s green Earth or anything like that, but it was absolutely interesting and entertaining throughout, despite the colossal length.

As for your ahem final comments, I’m not sure whether that was a scathing review of the last chapter or a cleverly deceptive way to get people to read it, but thanks either way.
I just feel that I must note that there is no sexual material in my story before anyone starts getting the wrong idea about it. ;)

@404, below
You shouldn’t have said that…

Last edited Jun 21, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:56PM EDT

The following is this reason why I haven’t been posting ponies recently:

Cuz drawing them is funner.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:19PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

QUICK, EVERYBODY, DRAW A PONY!

Technically, I drew a Changeling.

Look at the f*ing horn.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

QUICK, EVERYBODY, DRAW A PONY!

this is all you get on such short notice

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:53PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!